Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NPL Youth thread

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dawson View Post
    Already hearing mass exodus of players from first division clubs that have seriously dropped the ball on youth - and club leaders are really concerned. Kids/parent don’t want little Johnny playing second tier.
    What clubs are you talking about and what do you mean by "mass"? I haven't seen too many new kids turn up in my son's age over the past few weeks, nor the ages up or down. Where have these kids gone or are you saying these kids have just stopped playing?

My comment is related to next season. Have a look at the comp tables - it’s not hard to work work out where from. As BBScone said - if all NPL clubs had to lure players was the “NPL” badge - their days are numbered - when perhaps 5 clubs could find themselves playing second tier youth.

But where will they go? If they are in a relocated club and lesser team, they aren’t going to a top 4 club are they? The system and clubs have let these kids down.

Clubs who opted for first grade success as their measure of success - really need to take a long look in the mirror.

My comment is related to next season. Have a look at the comp tables - it’s not hard to work work out where from. As BBScone said - if all NPL clubs had to lure players was the “NPL” badge - their days are numbered - when perhaps 5 clubs could find themselves playing second tier youth.

But where will they go? If they are in a relocated club and lesser team, they aren’t going to a top 4 club are they? The system and clubs have let these kids down.

Clubs who opted for first grade success as their measure of success - really need to take a long look in the mirror.
    I think you are over estimating this.The kids that rate their chances of playing in the top grade will go and trial with the top 8 and if they are good enough they will get in.Or they will have already been approached its not as if the usual suspects arent already putting out feelers for next year.If not they will play down until they get a chance.The ones that give up were never going to see it through anyway so whats the big deal?They were just as much of a chance of giving up if they keep losing every week anyway.As for parents,any shame they feel of their kid having to play down will be softened by their kids winning more games than they already are,therefore giving them something to post on facebook each weekend.Majority of kids just want to do their best.Southy kids are proud to play for Southy,New Lambton kids the same.Im sure the likes of Adamstown/Lakes and Cooks Hill will survive and thrive wherever they play.

Perhaps - I hope you are right. However I am looking at this from a different angle. I am looking at the impact on a club not the kids, which then affects the kids.

You are correct on your thoughts about the individual players. What I am saying is, there will be significant impact on clubs of kids leaving a club because they donÂ’t want to play second tier - unless they deeply connected to the clubÂ’s culture and stay. This then affects a mid to lower level clubs ability to retain players and then build a strong first grade - unless they are simply happy to spend big every year for players developed by other clubs. I can see several of the existing clubs really struggle after decoupling occurs.

The feedback and concern from NPL club executives on just this matter suggests there is real concern.

This then affects a mid to lower level clubs ability to retain players and then build a strong first grade - unless they are simply happy to spend big every year for players developed by other clubs. I can see several of the existing clubs really struggle after decoupling occurs.
    Yes this is a great point,you are right i was only looking from a players perspective not the clubs.Only having 8 clubs in youth but 11 in seniors NPL will make a real fork in the road once kids want to make the jump from 16s and enter senior football.Its probably the single biggest issue that would prevent decoupling from happening.Unless they feel that kids that dont make Magic/Olympic/Jaffas 18's are happy to go to Lakes/Adamstown to fill their numbers.It would be a massive detriment to senior football not having a direct youth path.Again,a damned if you do damned if you dont situation.

Perhaps - I hope you are right. However I am looking at this from a different angle. I am looking at the impact on a club not the kids, which then affects the kids.

You are correct on your thoughts about the individual players. What I am saying is, there will be significant impact on clubs of kids leaving a club because they donÂ’t want to play second tier - unless they deeply connected to the clubÂ’s culture and stay. This then affects a mid to lower level clubs ability to retain players and then build a strong first grade - unless they are simply happy to spend big every year for players developed by other clubs. I can see several of the existing clubs really struggle after decoupling occurs.

The feedback and concern from NPL club executives on just this matter suggests there is real concern.
    How many club juniors are realistically being promoted through the ranks into a clubs first grade squad?
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Does it matter? Why does a kid chose to go to any specific club?
    Club success - generally of their first grade?
    Who the coach will be?
    What division will they play?
    Etc.
    Which of these in combination affect the choices people make?
    What I know is - clubs have 3 streams of revenue - player regos, sponsors and fundraising.
    Unless you are developing players, your are buying players. People will not pay huge youth regos to cover a first grader, there is only so much sponsorship $ to in a regional city that is a rugby League town etc.
    Decoupling will change the way clubs think and approach youth football.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    How many club juniors are realistically being promoted through the ranks into a clubs first grade squad?
    Adamstown nearly all of them

That’s funny - even though Olympic lost 7 from last years 15’s (3 to jets, 2 to Magic and cut a couple) and filled up with NL1 players, they still are coming mid table? So is what you’re saying - that unless a NL1 player is able to step into a top 4 club - they are not worthy? Or that the youth NPL comp is shite beyond 3 or 4 clubs?

The first tier is only as strong as it’s second tier Enter decoupling youth competition.

Already hearing mass exodus of players from first division clubs that have seriously dropped the ball on youth - and club leaders are really concerned. Kids/parent don’t want little Johnny playing second tier.

What’s coming will be a game changer for some clubs.
    They might be mid table but Maitland played them last week without making a sub the whole game - until there was an injury in the last 10. It would have been a bloodbath if they had an actual full squad. Olympic consistently had to sub players off the park for trying to start fights. Had they played the same they would have lost at least 3-4 to red cards. They are mid table because they are trying to play rugby on a football field, not because they are skill equivalent and its evident that their on field behaviour is way off the pace as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spell Check View Post
    What clubs are you talking about and what do you mean by "mass"? I haven't seen too many new kids turn up in my son's age over the past few weeks, nor the ages up or down. Where have these kids gone or are you saying these kids have just stopped playing?
    It was partial in our decision to move at the end of last season. Not the entire reason, but it was definitely one prong on the wheel.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Adamstown nearly all of them
    And thats an abortion. The Youth arent developing and 1st grade is last, again.

Keeping as much youth as possible is the key. Not keeping everyone because they are "our" boys.

They are why we need 8 teams.

Banned

The clubs are the problem Barry. Bad luck for them.

If they are so concerned about the kids and badge then they can develop their way with their boys in any tier. If they cry, they are NPL chest beaters.

I’m looking forward to it especially if it means more games and more competitive games. If you had a tipping comp in NPL youth atm you would rarely get one wrong

Quote Originally Posted by traffic light View Post
    Keeping as much youth as possible is the key. Not keeping everyone because they are "our" boys.
    That is the age old question though isnt it?Just keep recycling the same old players in NPL,buy a comp or develop your own and suffer the fate of kids playing against men.Adamstown and Valo can probably point to their 18s teams doing well,Cooks Hill have done better since bringing more kids through,and Magic seem to have brought through a bunch of kids too.Does anyone know if they are Magic youth or from elsewhere?Theres no doubt that things need a shake up,but for every suggestion on here theres a pretty decent counter as to why it might not be that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    .Does anyone know if they are Magic youth or from elsewhere?.
    There’s a bunch of magic youth who went off to academy’s and have now come back. There’s also been a mass exodus from the jets and quite a few clubs have benefited from that. One 17 year old scored 4 for cooks hill firsts last week

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    One 17 year old scored 4 for cooks hill firsts last week
    Thats speaks more about our 1st grade comp than Youth in Sydney.

Its almost like saying it's time to earn a local $$ and forget about going any higher for footy.

Quote Originally Posted by jim wallis View Post
    Thats speaks more about our 1st grade comp than Youth in Sydney.

Its almost like saying it's time to earn a local $$ and forget about going any higher for footy.
    Unfortunately this is true.

Some of those kids mentioned going to Magic from Academies had offers to stay but choose to move on. At some point it dawns on most kids and parents that chasing a pro dream in Australia is close to impossible. In Newy it’s many times harder than in the big cities too.

Look at Crowley at Maitland. Comes from the bush to join the jets, released, kills the local NPL, tries the Melbourne scene and is back again killing it here.

It’s a tough pathway. Just watch a video of club youth academies overseas to see the difference in standards. I just hope parents are being realistic with their kids because the fall can be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Spell Check View Post
    Unfortunately this is true.

Some of those kids mentioned going to Magic from Academies had offers to stay but choose to move on. At some point it dawns on most kids and parents that chasing a pro dream in Australia is close to impossible. In Newy it’s many times harder than in the big cities too.

Look at Crowley at Maitland. Comes from the bush to join the jets, released, kills the local NPL, tries the Melbourne scene and is back again killing it here.

It’s a tough pathway. Just watch a video of club youth academies overseas to see the difference in standards. I just hope parents are being realistic with their kids because the fall can be hard.
    They work it out fairly quickly once senior football starts. Just look at this forum. JDL page is full of wide eyed mums and dads full of hopes and dreams. NPL youth page starts to find the problems in the system and the conspiracies about why some kids are getting more opportunities than theirs and then by the NPL page, nobody cares anymore and the cycle continues

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    They work it out fairly quickly once senior football starts. Just look at this forum. JDL page is full of wide eyed mums and dads full of hopes and dreams. NPL youth page starts to find the problems in the system and the conspiracies about why some kids are getting more opportunities than theirs and then by the NPL page, nobody cares anymore and the cycle continues
    With my name and the spelling of yours we shouldn’t agree, but you absolutely nailed it BS. Well said.

There is a draft proposal out there for the decoupling
    Here are the key points
    NNSWF have consulted widely through a decoupling working group
    Failure of current NL1 clubs to field team in all age groups had undermined the competition
    NNSW intends to require all clubs that wish to complete in the Premier Youth League field teams in all age groups. One in, all in. One out, all out.
    Clubs that are in the NPL must have (not negotiable):
    • Teams in all age groups
    • An approved Youth Development Plan
    • Head coaches with C
    • Technical Director with C
    • Budget submitted annually
    • Fees submitted an approved by NNSWF
    • Venue approved by NNSWF
    • Level 2 sports trainer at all games
    Under 18s move to youth day
    From 2023 onwards:
    -Pre season cup (clubs no longer required to arrange trial games)
    -Revamped League season: a two part season where clubs can earn promotion / relegation once during the season. Each new level of the Premier Youth League will have a grand final
    -Two knockout cups
    -Summer series

1. Pre season Cup and Plate: seeding based on club championship
    Cup – top 12 clubs from previous season
    Plate – 13th to 24th from previous season
    World cup style format
    Played at home ground or, if unavailable, LMRFF (for a fee of course)
    2. Premier Youth League
    In 2023 the Premier Youth League will have 3 smaller leagues. All teams start 2023 in the same tier as they finish 2022 pending any clubs being promoted (hello New Lambton!) Each club will play each other once. Top 8 clubs in div 1 form League A, remainder of division 1 plus top 4 of division 2 form League B, bottom 8 teams of division 2 form League C. All points/goals etc reset. Clubs in each new League play each other once
    At end of season, all clubs in League A plus the top 4 of League B will form Division 1 for the next season. The rest of League B and all League C form Division 2 for the next season.