Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NPL Youth thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Lesnar View Post
    Good and rightfully so. Forfeiting a full season is very detrimental to the competition as an entirety. I expect better from Cooks Hill. 4 byes a season? NONSENSE. We are not getting our money’s worth
    Mate it is out of our control and I am sure Northern will compensate for those extra 2 byes. Your welcome to bring it up with them as well if that suits you better

No and no. They won’t do anything.

Curious what the consensus is regarding what Cooks Hill could do. I guess nobody really knows the effort/extent that they went to to try and get a team.

1. Unable to field an acceptable team and Forfeit the age group and withdraw.
    2. Field an understrength team that gets flogged every week made up of anybody willing to pay $1000 rego just to make up numbers.

Any other options and what do you guys suggest they do?

Devils advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post

Curious what the consensus is regarding what Cooks Hill could do. I guess nobody really knows the effort/extent that they went to to try and get a team.

2. Field an understrength team that gets flogged every week made up of anybody willing to pay $1000 rego just to make up numbers.

Devils advocate.
    I wonder how long until other age groups in that club drop out too. Some are in for a tough year going by results in trials

Devils advocate.
    If this was a little earlier could have found a side with 1/2 $ rego but since they have push the remaining out, no chance.

Although Id bet there are 14 players spread across both comps who would think about jumping ship from their current club as we speak due to the usual politics, coaching changes, personality clashes etc

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    I suggest they should have told NNSWF that they weren’t ready for promotion as their youth development isn’t up to scratch instead of feeding thousands of $$$ into their first grade team, when your can pay one player $1500 a week but can’t organise a youth system then something is seriously wrong.
    Its hilarious that anyone here thinks that any other club in NL1 wouldn't have the same issue, NL is full of ex Jaffas kids in one age group who didn't want to play NPL. The same kids are always going to bail when they want easy wins and claim they are the top of the comp. It will happen to any NL1 club coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Its hilarious that anyone here thinks that any other club in NL1 wouldn't have the same issue, NL is full of ex Jaffas kids in one age group who didn't want to play NPL. The same kids are always going to bail when they want easy wins and claim they are the top of the comp. It will happen to any NL1 club coming up.
    I think I may have witnessed this team recently.Half were already there and a bunch came in from NPL clubs.Most are good enough to be playing NPL level and testing themselves against the very best week after week.Why they dont try isnt any of my business but the chest beating by a few of the parents seemed to be a factor.But good luck to them,no doubt they get to beat up another bunch of NPL kids before the season is out and post about it on social media.Its not healthy in my opinion.

Just to add,I know a couple of the kids had a tough time at their NPL club so maybe it wasnt for them.But there are plenty of NPL teams that would have made as spot for them but they chose the so called lower level.Hopefully they either get bored of winning easy and want a challenge or NL get promoted and they have no choice to face the genuinely good clubs like Magic/Olympic/Maitland etc every week.It may settle some of the parents down in the process too.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Just to add,I know a couple of the kids had a tough time at their NPL club so maybe it wasnt for them.But there are plenty of NPL teams that would have made as spot for them but they chose the so called lower level.Hopefully they either get bored of winning easy and want a challenge or NL get promoted and they have no choice to face the genuinely good clubs like Magic/Olympic/Maitland etc every week.It may settle some of the parents down in the process too.
    I just think it’s a bit rough banging on at cooks hill like they didn’t do something right, rather then it being an endemic issue across the transfer from one level to another, let alone in 16s when it’s hard to recruit kids with the right skill level as it is in that age group.. I’ll leave the rest alone. 😂

I just think it’s a bit rough banging on at cooks hill like they didn’t do something right, rather then it being an endemic issue across the transfer from one level to another, let alone in 16s when it’s hard to recruit kids with the right skill level as it is in that age group.. I’ll leave the rest alone. 😂
    For sure.Finding kids who are willing and able to step in at that age is near impossible and emphasizes why the JDL (or equivalent) program needs to be expanded rather than scrapped.Natural attrition means spots in NPL clubs will always open up,but we need every kid at the (so called) lower level to have had access to the same programs all the way through so they have a better chance of stepping straight in when opportunities arise.

Enter more discussion regarding the importance of de-coupling Youth comp

Banned
    Tell NNSW yourselves from the public link below

https://forms.office.com/Pages/Respo...FaSFpLNENBWC4u

I just think it’s a bit rough banging on at cooks hill like they didn’t do something right, rather then it being an endemic issue across the transfer from one level to another, let alone in 16s when it’s hard to recruit kids with the right skill level as it is in that age group.. I’ll leave the rest alone. ��
    Agree.
    Would be a bigger problem if they couldn’t get a team to begin with, or that they had months to prepare and did not.
    They could probably easily subsidise rego, get a bunch of 16year olds happy to say they play NPL and cop a flogging every week. But that doesn’t help anybody, the players, club, opposition or competition.
    A few players may be able to be covered, but when it’s a whole team a few weeks before the season it’s a bit tricky and not sure what they could have done. You can’t control what has allegedly happened.

Don’t have such a problem with one offs like this. If it becomes a pattern, then questions need to be asked why they aren’t fulfilling their obligation.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    For sure.Finding kids who are willing and able to step in at that age is near impossible and emphasizes why the JDL (or equivalent) program needs to be expanded rather than scrapped.Natural attrition means spots in NPL clubs will always open up,but we need every kid at the (so called) lower level to have had access to the same programs all the way through so they have a better chance of stepping straight in when opportunities arise.
    Yehp, whether the players or parents like it or not, I’d say this is the elite competition of the age.
    There was an argument early days saying it wasn’t the elite competition and merely a development program, but it is. Where are 70% of the most talented young players playing…JDL.

I agree with the sentiment that this should be expanded to include more kids and clubs to improve foundational skills across the board.
    A few problems I foresee:
    - $$$ - not everyone is in a position to pay JDL fees for their child to play. Id suggest some clubs have scholarship type systems in place, but we know sometimes those things do not go to people who need them.
    -dilution of quality - at the moment it’s a limited group of players. Expanding increases the difference between the best and worst. Further grading and allocation of teams into appropriate groups needs to happen to ensure most games are competitive and beneficial.
    - ability of clubs to attract players - non NPL/NL1 clubs may find it difficult to attract players due to lack of natural progression/pathways to NPL.
    - does it just become a glorified inter district competition

I think it’s a step in the right direction, but there are definitely some consequences to expanding the program.
    For those involved, would an expanded league be viable? As I understand it, there’s 2 tiers now to promote even games. Is it viable to extend this to 3,4 or 5 tiers?

One of the things that makes it work so well from what I can see, is that it is very controllable and adaptable given the number of teams competing. Logistically easy to organise and train coaches, technical directors, assess teams and grade them appropriately. Increasing numbers too quickly or too much could limit the effectiveness.

I think it’s a step in the right direction, but there are definitely some consequences to expanding the program.
    For those involved, would an expanded league be viable? As I understand it, there’s 2 tiers now to promote even games. Is it viable to extend this to 3,4 or 5 tiers?
    From what I have seen of the draft schedule so far - The tiers no longer exist this year or have been scaled way back so that clubs will play between the previous tiers more often.
    There also doesn't appear to be 3 phases of the competition this year.
    2 weeks of 5 a side football at LMRFF
    18 rounds of 7v7 or 9v9
    1 regional gala day (per team)
    7v7 or 9v9 gala days to finish the season

The 18 games for my own child are pretty evenly split between the previous tier 1 and 2 clubs. This is surprising considering how well I felt the majority of people I had spoken with about it felt the two tiers worked last year.

With regards to expansion of the program. It all depends on the support structure/coaching and how well it is received and supported by the clubs. There are already NPL & NL1 clubs that are unable to field 2 teams per age group and some NL1 clubs that are unable to field any teams at all in particular age groups.
    It isn't all about cost either as there are clubs choosing to charge between $500-700 which is half of what some of the bigger clubs charge. Considering there are community miniroos teams charging approx. $300 thats not a huge increase. Even then though they are struggling to attract players.

My personal opinion is that it is about as big as it should be.

There are roughly 30 teams by under 12's with a minimum of 11 players per team. so somewhere in the vicinity of 300-350 players with experience in JDL.

11 NPL clubs take about 15 players per team so 160-170 players.

10 NL1 clubs take about 15 players per team so 145-155 players.

It should be 14 max per age group considering the ability to bring players up all the way from U9's now. Clubs that pick 16 boys in an age group are taking the piss.

SAP/JDL in theory should cover the numbers of players required for under 13's. Kids choosing to leave the game or go back to community will eat in to these numbers. The question will be how many players are able to step up into NPL/NL1 from community to replace these losses.

If not enough can or will do it, the same problems with player numbers by 15's or 16's are going to occur.

This isn't even considering the geographical challenges that some clubs face above what others do.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Im not really sure we have enough interested players to hold 2 divisions of 23 NPL youth type teams. example is that some very handy NL1 lads don't want to step up.
    It isnt all about skill in the end. Its also about the desire, mental strength and the athletic ability of the kid to really compete.

Ideally we really should have 3 tiers of 10 8 8 but that wouldnt work with 23 to 24 clubs in the 2 top senior grades.

Banned
    Sounds like a basket case and cooks hill only care about seniors and splashing their cash. How can they not field a team in 16s yet pay thousands on ex A lge players. Should have left them in NL1 and about time they bring in relegation.
    I guess if they forfeit they only lose 3-0 every week. Better then double figures.
    It’s a same because they have very good facilities, probably best in comp.

Banned
    Saw Olympic v Jaffas 15s 16s.
    Look like hard going in the heat although the lads did put in.

Banned
    Checking the NL1 youth draw. Surprised to see how many teams are missing.

13 Toronto Singo
    14 Wallsend
    15 Toronto
    16 Toronto Singo Wallsend

Not sure if a club deserves a spot when there's more than 1 Youth team missing.
    Or are Youth teams even important any more with so many senior players changing clubs all the time now.

I think we need to stop blaming the individual clubs for this and start considering that there may be greater issues at play here that need addressing such as the competitiveness of the competitions.

I'm sure all clubs are doing their absolute best to attract players in all age groups but if there aren’t enough players interested in playing then what can clubs do? Anyone who thinks that clubs not fielding teams has anything to do with the club not working hard enough or not prioritising it enough simply wrong.

The u16s age group is clearly the biggest example here - 3 teams in the NL1 and 1 team in the NPL haven’t been able to field a team. Anecdotally there was a few clubs who were struggling in NPL to fill their u16s team until Cooks Hill withdrew and the players they had were redistributed. Everyone’s favourite example of the best NL1 club New Lambton have even been advertising his week for players for their u16s team, so they can't be flush either.

To NNSW credit they have clearly identified issues here as well and are engaging clubs on how to restructure the Youth grades across the board to make it more competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    To NNSW credit they have clearly identified issues here as well and are engaging clubs on how to restructure the Youth grades across the board to make it more competitive.
    I wasn't aware of this at all. Hopefully something that is looking to be implemented by 2023.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin