Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NPL Youth thread

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Have you ever been on a club committee? Some of the higher profile players are paid by sponsors, not the clubs themselves. I mean have you forgotten that youth fees are not the only money a club brings in.

Maybe enlighten us which games you have seen that you are criticising so much? IÂ’m interested.
    I’ll indulge you Kitzy. Yes I have and continue to be on a committee so I speak with a bit more experience than most.

SAP and youth fees are the best thing that ever happened to clubs. Before sponsors or debt were king, but Northern handing over the kids licences to clubs changed it all. Yes we still have sponsors and yes those sponsors pay for the big names on the books. But don’t you dare kid yourself that canteens and benefactors are paying for 20 blokes on a retainer. And don’t get me started on those end of year bonuses.

We know you know it all but maybe you don’t know it all. But trust a brother, those fees you pay for your kids to be brilliant are also paying first graders. Don’t be angry thought. Everyone knows but you.

Have you ever been on a club committee? Some of the higher profile players are paid by sponsors, not the clubs themselves. I mean have you forgotten that youth fees are not the only money a club brings in.

Maybe enlighten us which games you have seen that you are criticising so much? IÂ’m interested.
    Let's see...Committee - tick. Parent of a Youth player who was asked for a full rego in November to pay bills - tick. Involved in a transaction to retain a Senior player - tick. Yes sponsors kick in, yes there are other revenue streams but kids cash keeps the bills paid pre and after Christmas. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in dreamland. Clubs have wage bills into $100k+ to win a comp and earn $10k. Non binding contracts that Eland gets to keep at arm's length. The system is broken. Smaller clubs can't compete and without promotion or relegation, they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by BBscone;2***06
    Let's see...Committee - tick. Parent of a Youth player who was asked for a full rego in November to pay bills - tick. Involved in a transaction to retain a Senior player - tick. Yes sponsors kick in, yes there are other revenue streams but kids cash keeps the bills paid pre and after Christmas. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in dreamland. Clubs have wage bills into $100k+ to win a comp and earn $10k. Non binding contracts that Eland gets to keep at arm's length. The system is broken. Smaller clubs can't compete and without promotion or relegation, they don't have to.
    Wait, what?!? This is happening at more than one club? But the Herald article and Kitz said...

Thanks heaps for posting that. Had a bit of a sensationalist headline, when in truth I doubt anyone is paying $2k a season in Newcastle. The discussion could be a good one, but seems to be a bit of a non story handled by the herald. Innuendo that Juniors are paying seniors, but clubs generally breakdown their fees now and parents can see where the money is going. The news never actually seems to break down the cost and talk about how many training sessions a year, plus preseason including games almost every weekend before the season etc etc. I don't think its a big cost per session compared to what you are paying for private training or in other sports like dancing / gymnastics / tennis and sports where you pay per session / week. I'm sure there are cheaper sports as well but I don't know a lot about what kids are getting, is it the same / more / less?
    This isn't private training though, players do go do private training as well and depending on the frequency is a lot more than what they pay for soccer. But when other codes are charging less for similar amount of training, games, facilities and equipment questions must be asked.

Glad we are yet to hear anyone say "if the federations didn't charge so much, cost would be less". While it would be the amount would be negligible since the total amount is about 5% of the fees.

Quote Originally Posted by BBscone;2***06
    sounds like you are at the wrong club. Never been asked or expected payment in one hit upfront from the few different clubs we have been involved in. Berlin over there seems to think that its happening everywhere but its obviously not and I've been at clubs at both ends of the spectrum. If you are on the committee and endorsed that behaviour are you not enabling and supporting that behaviour. I'm confused if you are against it or for it?

Banned
    NPL could be capped at $750 not including playing strip. Club would then need to put on some more raffles for firsts.

Remember paying $350 for a season in NBN, dress shirt, training shirts x 2, Home and away shorts and socks, and a jacket. The next year we had a training kit and it was $400 all up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Remember paying $350 for a season in NBN, dress shirt, training shirts x 2, Home and away shorts and socks, and a jacket. The next year we had a training kit and it was $400 all up.
    More than 10 years ago?

I remember being outraged at schooners being upped to $2 each.

I have some great news for everyone. You can all stay at home this season and just turn up on grand final day because I can tell you right now who will feature in the grand final for each age group:
    U13 Olympic vs Magic
    U14 Magic vs Edgeworth
    U15 Olympic vs Magic
    U16 Edgeworth vs Magic

That is set in stone my friends. If you want to dispute this you can go sit on a firecracker. Woo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    It ain’t 1972 anymore though

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Carl View Post
    I have some great news for everyone. You can all stay at home this season and just turn up on grand final day because I can tell you right now who will feature in the grand final for each age group:
    U13 Olympic vs Magic
    U14 Magic vs Edgeworth
    U15 Olympic vs Magic
    U16 Edgeworth vs Magic

That is set in stone my friends. If you want to dispute this you can go sit on a firecracker. Woo hoo!
    the 15s at magic were 7th last season, what do you think has changed so much they will now make the grand final over the 5 teams above them in the 16s? I like how you "magically" change who's in the GF based on who you are aligned to rather than performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Carl View Post
    U13 Olympic vs Magic
    U14 Magic vs Edgeworth
    U15 Olympic vs Magic
    U16 Edgeworth vs Magic

Maybe you should have posted a spoiler alert before saying this Carl some of us were excited for the season.13s will be interesting as the 2 teams you mentioned were fantastic at JDL level but have both lost lots of talent to the Jets.Maitland and Jaffas may play a part in that age group too although Maitland lost a few to the Jets also.One thing ive seen from a few trials is that there are a few really small teams out there who really stand no chance against the more physical teams the step up to full field is going to be tough on a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    It ain’t 1972 anymore though
    Try 92
    I started in grade football in 79 and we paid $20 for a club shirt.
    You wore whatever you liked for training gear and the Club provided the playing strip which was handed back after each game.

Quote Originally Posted by travellingman View Post
    Try 92
    I started in grade football in 79 and we paid $20 for a club shirt.
    You wore whatever you liked for training gear and the Club provided the playing strip which was handed back after each game.
    Yep and you had to walk 5 miles to training in the snow uphill both ways

with no shoes, had to train with frostbite and didn't ever dare to complain because the coach would have made him run laps for the entire session.

the 15s at magic were 7th last season, what do you think has changed so much they will now make the grand final over the 5 teams above them in the 16s? I like how you "magically" change who's in the GF based on who you are aligned to rather than performance.
    I am aligned to Valentine and I was there watching youth games this evening. While I believe there will be improvement in Valo youth this year I don’t see any of their teams making the GF. Magic 16s have some amazing new recruits that will make all the difference.

U13s Olympic 4 Valentine 1
    U14s Olympic 1 Valentine 1
    U15s Olympic 7 Valentine 0
    U16s Olympic 4 Valentine 0
    Last edited by Captain_Carl; 24-02-2022 at 05:50 AM.

with no shoes, had to train with frostbite and didn't ever dare to complain because the coach would have made him run laps for the entire session.
    Yep you got it and still produced players for NSL, Young Socceroos and Socceroos, NOT anymore to the same extent.
    Clubs started buying kits in the 90's so everyone looked the same on Game day. Training kits came in the late 90's.
    Just be cause you look the part doesn't mean you can play.

Quote Originally Posted by travellingman View Post
    Yep you got it and still produced players for NSL, Young Socceroos and Socceroos, NOT anymore to the same extent.
    Clubs started buying kits in the 90's so everyone looked the same on Game day. Training kits came in the late 90's.
    Just be cause you look the part doesn't mean you can play.
    It has very little to do with what you are wearing (other than from a confidence and psychological standpoint), its about how hard you work, talent will only get you so far.

Here's a question though, what is the right amount of training? If we want to produce players of that calibre that what does or should the training load (and games I suppose as an extension of that) look like?