Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 21/22 A-League Men | Match Day 17 | Newcastle Jets v Sydney FC

Oh my goodness Archie

Goodwin 2 goals where has he been hiding 😂

That's a striker! Imagine Archie and Beka together...

IF (definitely a big if still) we go on to win this game, it's pretty strong proof that Papas' system is working a treat. Different formation, but the press is still very similar to me and the chances are still coming from the same sort of attacks, albeit with a different style of striker on the end of them.

Front foot defending, no time for opposition midfielders and transition at speed through Penha or Boumal. It's simple but brilliant when it works.... and when the backline can keep their shit together, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Boumal on tonight.
    Need a strong start to the second half

The image of that VAR call is ridiculous. They are so precise with where they place those lines but have a look at the ball, how on earth do they know that's the moment it was kicked.

Unless it's clearly offside and you can tell that from one replay (maybe two) then why kill the theatre and passion of the moment

Boumal in a more central position is a very interesting move, he definitely had more presence and space - as opposed to taking defenders head-on (and losing balls) on the wings.

Back to back clean sheets are great for a team that had struggled on that front, the 3 at the back really made a difference and helped cover up for Elsey wanting to roam forward and Jurman being a bit slow at the back, certain mistakes weren't as punishable.

Mauragis and Goodwin back in the squad is only going to be good for us. If Lucas can get to the point he's playing 90 minutes, and Archie can be a constant threat off the bench then I can really see this team making a strong push towards the top 6 in the back end of the season.

I'm hoping Papas doesn't just revert to his old formation once all the covid positive players return and he keeps this style cause I think it got the best out of basically every player. Be curious how it works with Beka who gets back much further then I noticed Archie getting back but I still think it could work quite well

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Goodwin 2 goals where has he been hiding ��
    I guess his “injuries” have been resolved. Papa’s clearly has no excuses left to not play his favourite(s)

Honorable mention to the Sydney "supporters" for being such a bunch of f*ckwits, in particular the genius who did obscene gestures to a dad with his 2 little girls at the end of the game.
    5 million people, and all you can produce is these 4 troglodytes...

Quote Originally Posted by northern_swan View Post
    I guess his “injuries” have been resolved. Papa’s clearly has no excuses left to not play his favourite(s)
    Another conspiracy theorist.....read this.

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...s-coach-makes-
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 26-03-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by northern_swan View Post
    Apparently it's to do with Growing pains. Both legs were strapped last night. He will still be eased in I reckon

great to see archie and maraugis getting a run and making such excellent contributions. Also worked the crowd brilliantly once they'd been subbed off.

Agree with maito mitch, how can you be so definitive with the lines yet so shit with when the ball is kicked? If the ball is still on his foot in one frame, and not in the other, then they should take the last frame where it is clearly on the foot as the frame to check where the players are. And why do we always bang on about advantage to the attacker and then do something like this? Regan's celebration was also awesome and great interaction with the crowd. It's what we need more of.

Boumal and Penha both delighted and annoyed me at different times. So much skill but also so many touches to disadvantage. Penha should have buried the chance he had (would have been called back offside but you should still finish those).

Back three seemed to work pretty well. No disrespect to Hoffman, but why aren't we playing Mauragis instead of him? I can see why Archie is having trouble getting a start and on the bench (the growing pains would explain that but he should be on the bench before yuel in my opinion), who do you leave out to put him in? Good also to see Doherty back on the park.

The future is good if we can keep the young'uns for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Back three seemed to work pretty well. No disrespect to Hoffman, but why aren't we playing Mauragis instead of him? I can see why Archie is having trouble getting a start and on the bench (the growing pains would explain that but he should be on the bench before yuel in my opinion), who do you leave out to put him in?
    At this stage, I think Archie should stay as a bench player. He's great, but to me, we looked so much better as a backline playing 3 at the back and that's with Regan as the other player who I don't think is the greatest CB of all time. I like Archie, but off the back of one game, I don't think he should unseat Beka, Penha or Boumal in the long term in that front 3 and I don't see another way he could get on the pitch without those guys losing their spot.

Going into next season though I think we really should try and accommodate him so that we can have both him and Beka up front which could prove to be a really deadly strikeforce