Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: are we being too precious about our grounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    you know the best one about this is tomorrow's ZPL fixture has already been called off.....
    Can’t even blame it being trashed today for calling it off

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    we've had 10 millimetres of rain int he hour leading up to what would have been kick off

maybe the refs knew something we didn't

still seems a little too hasty to call tomorrow off

Lambton v Charlestown res
    Called off about 32 minute mark, score was 1v1
    I can’t see games being played tomorrow

Adamstown v Maitland res
    Called off at half time 0v2

I think the answer to the forums topic is a resounding yes

Edit: back in the last century games were never called off once they had started and we would get excited about playing in the mud
    Last edited by BS detecor; 18-06-2022 at 03:25 PM.

Both games that were called off were in 1st grade and both at around the 30 minute mark.
    Jaffas Azzurri 1 - 1
    Adamstown Maitland 0 - 2
    Will these games be re started from the 30th minute with scores as they are , or will both games start again at 0 - 0 ?

Judging by BarTV both grounds are now rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Both games that were called off were in 1st grade and both at around the 30 minute mark.
    Jaffas Azzurri 1 - 1
    Adamstown Maitland 0 - 2
    Will these games be re started from the 30th minute with scores as they are , or will both games start again at 0 - 0 ?
    Yep Hurricane Both games were 1st my mistake I’ve got the flu and drugged up to the eyeballs.

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    I think the answer to the forums topic is a resounding yes

Edit: back in the last century games were never called off once they had started and we would get excited about playing in the mud
    Ya kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    we've had 10 millimetres of rain int he hour leading up to what would have been kick off

maybe the refs knew something we didn't

still seems a little too hasty to call tomorrow off
    Just got out of a hit shower after 80min in pissing rain at no.6. Got called with a few min to go because the goal mouths were under water. No.4 completely under water. Not surprised Athtrack was called, there's been rain here in Cooks Hill consistently since this morning. Weird weather, our ref was surprised when be punted up, said he'd been playing golf in Belmont this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Just got out of a hit shower after 80min in pissing rain at no.6. Got called with a few min to go because the goal mouths were under water. No.4 completely under water. Not surprised Athtrack was called, there's been rain here in Cooks Hill consistently since this morning. Weird weather, our ref was surprised when be punted up, said he'd been playing golf in Belmont this morning.
    That's the first big rain we've had since playing on the new No.6.
    I'll get down tomorrow sometime and walk that too.
    Klyden, after inhaling the smoke from a cigarette:- (S02E11)
    "I feel as if I have been standing my entire life, and I just sat down."
    The Orville - returning to SBS. June 3rd, 2022

Just drove past Myer Park on the way home from in town, both pitches looked like lakes.

Lot more rain has fallen in Newcastle than the northern end of the Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Judging by BarTV both grounds are now rooted
    Yep both grounds are basically scratched up chook pens. I seen various pics and what was on offer on BarTv. Devastating for the grounds teams who put in the hard yards to make a decent playing pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Lot more rain has fallen in Newcastle than the northern end of the Lake.
    31mm in the 12 hours since 6 a.m at my place, which is close to Athletics Field and Olympic's ground

so yeah, a fair bit all things considered - no surprises that games get called off halfway through

Quote Originally Posted by magician View Post
    Ya kidding right?
    No deadly serious

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/why-are...16-p5au9z.html

If you are wondering if/when the State government will step in to address the football grounds issue, please don’t hold your breath. If you are a wealthy NRL club however………….

so with with Bureau of Meteorology giving a 70% chance of the current La Nina cycle continuing into next year, are any clubs planning on fixing drainage at their grounds over the summer?

so with with Bureau of Meteorology giving a 70% chance of the current La Nina cycle continuing into next year, are any clubs planning on fixing drainage at their grounds over the summer?
    Who can afford to? Maybe if clubs change their name to include Rugby League or Rugby Union that could help
    Jaliens gives me the horn

https://www.bunnings.com.au/draincoi...-pipe_p0165695

a few of those, a working bee and you're all sorted

maybe a top dressing of sand if you've got a bit more cash, usually goes for about $50/cube delivered

what else are clubs spending money on?

Both ours were booked in for February this year. One ground for a drainage clean out on the 8 year old drainage, the other for a complete new system. Contractor couldn't get the materials so no works happened.

Booked in now for September before the cricket starts, main ground should be good for the drainage clean out, but the top pitch is too wet to get anywhere near. Lighting contractors got bogged yesterday trying to put trenching in and they were on the firm sections. Way it's going out lights wont be done for 2023 either if the wet continues.

So, if the rain doesn't stop for a decent period, our works despite being booked in likely wont happen and we will be down to one pitch again for 2023.

Hoping thats not the case.