Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: are we being too precious about our grounds?

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    What ground is closed on a Sunday already
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...1Zg/edit#gid=0

quite a few actually

It really is insane. I’ve seen more injuries on rock hard pitches, than on muddy fields.
    Imagine if we were in Europe with these ground closure rulings, we’d never get a game!
    And why aren’t clubs already re-scheduling fixtures? Everything becomes a panic at the back end of the season when we have multiple games to catch up.
    If clubs already know (not sure how) that there grounds won’t be good in 48 hours time, why are they not doing grounds swaps? Plenty of clubs with no games on this weekend. Reverse the fixture with your opponent! Granted, some clubs have already organised ground swaps, but really, is it that hard?

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    grounds closed this weekend at:
    Beresfield FC, Bolwarra Lorn JSC, Cardiff City, Clarence Town FC, Dudley Redhead FC, Fletcher, Garden Suburb FC, Gresford Vacy FC, Greta Branxton FC, Kurri Kurri Junior, Maitland Juniors, Maryland Fletcher, Minmi, Morisset, Shortland, South Cardiff FC, South Maitland FC, South Wallsend, Southern Lakes, Tenambit Sharks FC, Thornton Junior FC, Valentine Eleebana, Wallsend

since the 16mm of rain last Sunday, we have had 3.8mm of rain mid week

if grounds can't be used after that little rain in a week then we need to address why

I suspect Councils are closing the grounds out of fear of litigation - which is ridiculous
    Cardiff City's No2 ground is out on Sunday, our No1 was played on last night and i must say just(it has had drainage works 2017 i think).
    You cant walk on our No2 field without sinking and leaving quite substantial footprints, we also tried to mow the outside, so we could lines at least and the groundsman bogged the mower.
    This ground i suspect will be out for at 2 weeks more or longer.
    6-8 weeks of rain on a ground that has no drainage cant dry out.

LMCC leaves it up to the clubs to call it off, NCC doesn't.

Also really depends on where the grounds are located, take Fletcher FC, Shortland and South Wallsend for example. All three are next to creeks or wetlands and are heavily affected by rain.

That being said, a ground like Minmi or Maryland I have questions about, especially Maryland when it’s 6-7 years old and at the top of a hill, same with Maitland Jnrs except their infrastructure I imagine would be a fair bit older.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Walked Minmi's field yesterday and there are still puddles of water in the middle of the two fields around the synthetic cricket pitch.

Since field 1 was re-turfed a couple of years ago council keep it closed at the drop of a hat and threaten our club with having today to re-turf if we cause anything over "general wear and tear"

We tried to get drainage done when the turf was ripped up but didn't have success unfortunately.

That’s fair enough, surely you would’ve thought that returning it would’ve been the best time to install better drainage.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

More games called off tonight. Most teams already with at least 3 to make up, some haven’t even played yet.
    When do we bite the bullet and stop preserving the fields for later in the season?
    Will we even get every round played this year?
    I’ve seen some terrible pitches out there, but seen plenty that are called off and are perfectly fine to play on. ����*♂️

exactly - it's not going to dry off later in the season - the BoM is stating that so I don't know what anyone in charge of grounds are thinking

check it out for yourself, the info is there - http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/outloo...p20/seasonal/1

spread sand around in the puddles if you have to - or, call me crazy here, but maybe players should wear boots with studs in them to avoid slipping over

reminds me of this "We ask for an examination of the grassland that was not suitable for the Syrian team, while Australian players seem to be wearing shoes that cling to the long grass, so we saw Syrian players fall during the game, while Australia's players are steady"

How about NNSWF start using the LMRFF for matches every night and all weekend instead of renting it out for training sessions.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    exactly - it's not going to dry off later in the season - the BoM is stating that so I don't know what anyone in charge of grounds are thinking

check it out for yourself, the info is there - http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/outloo...p20/seasonal/1

spread sand around in the puddles if you have to - or, call me crazy here, but maybe players should wear boots with studs in them to avoid slipping over

reminds me of this "We ask for an examination of the grassland that was not suitable for the Syrian team, while Australian players seem to be wearing shoes that cling to the long grass, so we saw Syrian players fall during the game, while Australia's players are steady"
    Croudace Bay will be closed again for sure this week. We copped a heap of rain yesterday and CB1 was already closed.

Whilst I agree in principle that we are being overly precious, there are some hopelessly inadequate drainage systems on some grounds.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    How about NNSWF start using the LMRFF for matches every night and all weekend instead of renting it out for training sessions.
    What, and use player's rego money to directly benefit players? Madness

well if they's spent some of the millions they pissed on LMRFF on ground improvements throughout the rest of the state, perhaps we wouldn't be in this mess

My daughters club has spent considerable money in recent years on ground improvement, via sponsorship, fund raising and large grants. Majority of that money has been spent on irrigation and getting the playing surface to be like carpet. They are now on the NCC rie grass program. But we have barely been allowed on the oval, as zero $ has been spent on drainage and improving the field for wet weather use. In my opinion this should be a huge priority for a winter sport.

There are no senior team within the club except lower grade AA and O35s. The surface is amazing but now the committee calls it closed at a sneeze as the work and money put into it has made them extra cautious. They have an extremely large ammount of jnr players who are getting limited training and playing due to incorrect priorities, I feel.

I understand some fields are unplayable but some are being protected to heavily.

I think the biggest issue with most clubs is the fact that council charges for damages anything beyond general wear and tear, mass amounts of rain in short periods is something we have not had in previous years, once grounds are saturated during the cooler months it takes a hell of a long time to dry, im all for seeing teams get on on the weekend but I think one bad weekend of use will essentially wreck the ground for remainder of season then we will have everyone whinging the grounds are bumpy, no grass etc can't really win unfortuanatly I think common sense is the best go from what we have been seeing it's not only council looking after grounds I know a fair portion of clubs that put alot of time and money in to try and have a good surface for teams to play on, id say even with decent drainage with the rain amounts of late and lack of sunlight and heat we are going to have a long season of soft wet grounds

They are used all weekend. They get 4 JDL games on there at once and can run all day. The north coast NPL teams use it for their away games to make sure they get played when they come down, and the Jets academy also use it as their home ground for both boys and girls I believe. I wouldn't like to be the person having to organise that calendar every year.

Weeknight make up games should be a priority over being rented for training. though, its possible that clubs don't want to use it as it is a different playing surface.

A synthetic and grass hybrid might be the way to go in the future.

Banned
    Or heaven forbid get a synthetic pitch in Newcastle so this pov city can have a whole 2 all weather centres.

forgive me for using facts and data here - but we're not even having that particularly wet a season (or year)

here's our rainfall expressed as a percentage of the mean for 5 months to May 2022

5 Month rainfall Capture.jpg
    source: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/maps/r...onth=04&day=30

Newcastle is having only a slightly wetter than average year - less than 25% wetter than your average year

admittedly, rainfall totals might not tell the full story - but no matter which way you look at it, we're not going through anything wildly out of the ordinary here

if we can only play in drier than average years then maybe we need to reconsider our grounds, or use screw in boots for once (remember them?)

Forget covid, this years comp will be shortened because clubs can call off fixtures too easily Â…Â… stags have played 3/6 Â….. Wallsend 2/6 Â…Â… please Â….. get the games bloody played nnsw. Show some balls. Kahibah v Toronto called off today ??????

Quote Originally Posted by GO AWAY View Post
    Forget covid, this years comp will be shortened because clubs can call off fixtures too easily Â…Â… stags have played 3/6 Â….. Wallsend 2/6 Â…Â… please Â….. get the games bloody played nnsw. Show some balls. Kahibah v Toronto called off today ??????
    Kahibah unplayable today. You reckon Matt Moncrieff doesn't want to play?
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

4mm of rain in the last 7 days. Quick, let’s close the grounds tonight!!!!