Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: are we being too precious about our grounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Yato View Post
    4mm of rain in the last 7 days. Quick, let’s close the grounds tonight!!!!
    I play at Argenton this week. I stopped in on Wednesday afternoon as I was driving by and the field was surprisingly dry. So when the games there this afternoon were called off after 6.6mm of rain I was surprised enough that I drove out there with a flash light to walk the field and see how drenched it must have got. Outside of one small area around half way the field was still pretty good. Far dryer than our home ground which has continued to have training on it all week and has games on it tonight. Absolutely gobsmacked that the Arge field is closed unless they're trying to save it for tomorrow's games as they have 3 tomorrow whereas they only had 2 planned for tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonmcqueen View Post
    I play at Argenton this week. I stopped in on Wednesday afternoon as I was driving by and the field was surprisingly dry. So when the games there this afternoon were called off after 6.6mm of rain I was surprised enough that I drove out there with a flash light to walk the field and see how drenched it must have got. Outside of one small area around half way the field was still pretty good. Far dryer than our home ground which has continued to have training on it all week and has games on it tonight. Absolutely gobsmacked that the Arge field is closed unless they're trying to save it for tomorrow's games as they have 3 tomorrow whereas they only had 2 planned for tonight.
    Good to know, I play there tomorrow too.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    I just played on Charlestown Oval - it was a bit soft but not in any way dangerous

kudos to Charlestown for keeping their ground open

Argenton closed today because apparently there is puddles of water on the field and in one of the goals. I wonder what excuse they used last night as there sure as hell was no issue with it last night. I went out there and walked it myself.

The associations may as well fold the comps and give everyone their money back so we can at least spend it on something productive. My team now has 4 washouts and work rain anticipated all week, I wouldn't be surprised if we've played 1 in 6 by this time next week.

My last message got deleted when I tried to edit it. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong there. Anywho, I went out to Argie to check the field after it was cancelled today due to "puddles on the field" and they weren't lying, there were puddles on the field. Sort of ground you'd play a final on but not a normal round. So I can't blame the Argenton club for having it closed today (fully admit before visiting the ground though I was and I was wrong)

What makes no sense to me though is why they closed it last night. As I said, I went out there around the kickoff of what would have been the first game, with a torch and walked the entire field and there was no reason that those games should have been off and so calling those sort of games off is just going to make scheduling washouts that much harder as it's more games that need scheduling.

Let's be honest though, the season isn't going to be extended due to the cricket season always starting so quickly after soccer. They're running out if weeks to play washout games, we're (my team) is now at needing to play 4 wash outs over the next 9 rounds and with rain projected all week that's not going to change. The associations either need to work out a way to make sure games go on (don't ask me how), negotiate a way to make the season go longer (never seen it happen in the 25 years I've been playing), or may as well call the season, refund everyone their money and let people go and play some other sport (basketball and ice hockey never get washed out I'm told &#128517

We got on against Greta Branxton @ Rutherford last night. The field itself was actually quite firm.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Let's be honest though, the season isn't going to be extended due to the cricket season always starting so quickly after soccer. They're running out if weeks to play washout games, we're (my team) is now at needing to play 4 wash outs over the next 9 rounds and with rain projected all week that's not going to change. The associations either need to work out a way to make sure games go on (don't ask me how), negotiate a way to make the season go longer (never seen it happen in the 25 years I've been playing), or may as well call the season, refund everyone their money and let people go and play some other sport (basketball and ice hockey never get washed out I'm told ��)
    Refunds? But yes clubs will need to be very flexible to get games in. Theres been spells of dry where no games were happening.

Clubs should be allowed to negotiate matches to played asap and not waiting for this August shyte like the rd1 catchups.

Let's be honest though, the season isn't going to be extended due to the cricket season always starting so quickly after soccer. They're running out if weeks to play washout games, we're (my team) is now at needing to play 4 wash outs over the next 9 rounds and with rain projected all week that's not going to change. The associations either need to work out a way to make sure games go on (don't ask me how), negotiate a way to make the season go longer (never seen it happen in the 25 years I've been playing), or may as well call the season, refund everyone their money and let people go and play some other sport (basketball and ice hockey never get washed out I'm told ��)
    I’ll preface my comments below by starting with saying that I’m talking about community level football and cricket. Not NPL/NL1 & not the 2 day district cricket.

Cricket traditionally has started the Saturday after the October long weekend (Sat 8th for 2022). Inter district grand finals are currently booked in for 2/3/4 September (last comp round 5/6/7 august, then spare weekend, minor/major finals 19/20/21 aug, prelims 26/27/28 aug). Purely looking at dates, the latest they could conceivably play grand finals would be 23/24/25 September (keeping the long weekend free of football), so realistically the latest regular season competition rounds could be played would be 2/3/4 September to allow for a 3 week final series. That’s an additional 4 weeks they could extend the season for.
    My understanding is that CCF have rescheduled their round 1&2 games that were called off to after their last round of the original schedule.

The only factor unaccounted for is preparation of turf wickets, which would take out grounds such as Jesmond Park (for example), but there’s no reason a ground like John street (as an example) where there’s a synthetic wicket between two fields couldn’t be used into October & beyond if needed (notwithstanding cricket having preference to bookings once October begins).

TL;DR - there’s no reason the zones can’t extend the season by a month, they just need to get off their arses and do it.

Realistically they need to organise them sooner. My rd 1 match was rescheduled to mid july! Should be rescheduled asap and not up to the associations who seem to take forever to reorganise games
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Realistically they need to organise them sooner. My rd 1 match was rescheduled to mid july! Should be rescheduled asap and not up to the associations who seem to take forever to reorganise games
    Absolutely! Macquarie in particular have been dragging the chain. Newcastle & Hunter Valley have rescheduled multiple games already.

Quote Originally Posted by northern_swan View Post
    Absolutely! Macquarie in particular have been dragging the chain. Newcastle & Hunter Valley have rescheduled multiple games already.
    I appreciate it’s a difficult job, but they should just try to reschedule as many Saturday games for the Sunday the following week or the week after, similar to how Zone is handled. Yes some grounds may have a lot of women games on Sunday, but work around that. Ie Jaffas only use Harry 1 this season, could use Harry 2 to help reschedule games.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Us too, and it's smack in the middle of school holidays as well. Can see plenty of rescheduled matches getting forfeited due to lack of players. We're pushing to get a home washout of ours rescheduled to mid-week.

Everyone understands the rain and the current washout situation each week, but I agree, games need to be rescheduled ASAP. Last week was fine all week, and I know of a couple of clubs that played rescheduled games, but then you have other teams that have 4 to play and not one has been rescheduled yet! It's not that hard surely!
    My daughter's team played up the valley yesterday - the ground was perfect. 2 fields & that was the only game on for the whole day.
    The associations need to start getting together and using fields like these to play double headers every weekend. Just do it.
    About time they starting earning their money and being a bit proactive - re-organise them earlier!
    There are plenty of clubs around that have vacant grounds every 2nd weekend, start using them.
    Hopefully with the media coverage that the situation is getting now, rescheduling will start happening enmass, but then again nothing has changed in the last 20 years, we can only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Yato View Post
    Everyone understands the rain and the current washout situation each week, but I agree, games need to be rescheduled ASAP. Last week was fine all week, and I know of a couple of clubs that played rescheduled games, but then you have other teams that have 4 to play and not one has been rescheduled yet! It's not that hard surely!
    My daughter's team played up the valley yesterday - the ground was perfect. 2 fields & that was the only game on for the whole day.
    The associations need to start getting together and using fields like these to play double headers every weekend. Just do it.
    About time they starting earning their money and being a bit proactive - re-organise them earlier!
    There are plenty of clubs around that have vacant grounds every 2nd weekend, start using them.
    Hopefully with the media coverage that the situation is getting now, rescheduling will start happening enmass, but then again nothing has changed in the last 20 years, we can only hope!
    And I know of a club that cancelled rescheduled games last week when we finally had some nice weather because some of their players had colds and northern allowed it.

Cookers NPL got a game on tonight against lakes and the ground looked ok on the TV but had a lot of water up one end.
    Cookers 5 v lakes 0

We are a week away from an ultimatum from zones and association. More wash outs 0-0 draws. Across all levels but Premier 1st grade replays. I feel sorry for kids and especially Premier parents in JDL and NPL/NL1 who pay big bucks. I have to wonder why Northern and the zones didn't see this situation coming with poor grounds in all Councils. I recall someone questioned why Newcastle Football spent a $1m on an office when it could have paid for an artificial surface somewhere. Or 10 drainage programs at varying clubs. Might be time to ask what the paid leaders are planning to reduce the impact. The only winners at the moment is Basketball. Easy to blame weather but so much money is incorrectly used by these co-op associations, Members need to question them.

20220527_114944.jpg

Best cancel the weekends games now ;-)

I understand the difficulties in what is considered when calling a ground unsafe to play on.
    That said calling a Saturday game off early on Friday afternoon is ridiculous, maybe the Association have to step in as it seems some clubs can't be trusted.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I’m an advocate for making every opportunity to play. Often argue with the grounds staff. So today I walked Liles oval and there was no choice. It’s bloody wet. The bad areas are soggy and you sink when walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    I understand the difficulties in what is considered when calling a ground unsafe to play on.
    That said calling a Saturday game off early on Friday afternoon is ridiculous, maybe the Association have to step in as it seems some clubs can't be trusted.
    100%. We've had our match tomorrow called off this arvo while one of our blokes was standing by their field watching it get mowed. Take a punt and wait till the morning. Do not understand what is achieved by calling off on Friday given the season so far and what is going to be the season going forward.