Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 21/22 A-League Men | Match Day 21 | Newcastle Jets v Melbourne Victory

Good to see Boumal being his usual unpredictable self. He's either great or goes missing. Didn't provide much last night

If Arques can't get a start when Gus is out then surely he's not good enough to be kept around. We shouldn't be having a visa player as a third choice midfielder, I'm sure there's some local players around who deserve a chance

I don't think we missed Jurman. I didn't notice Waarland being completely honking so he did well in comparison. Any experience at the back we lost without Jurman was offset by no (or less) terrible turnovers. I think Elsey is getting better and better, he made some crucial interceptions and blocks and was stepping up into midfield to make some good interceptions a la Boogs. Bringing in an experienced defensive midfielder to sit in front of Elsey and a good young centre back is the way forward in the middle imo. Gus can push forward and Penha can just do Penha things. He's too good for us

Is Kanta still a footballer? Honestly what's going on there?

It's good to see Savaas getting better and better (slowly). I think he, Boumal and Yuel competing for the two wide positions isn't the worst. The front third definitely isn't the issue

If we can win our game in hand that we have over Macarthur we're only 4 points down on 6th. Two wins over Central Coast and then we have a game with Macarthur. We won't, but we can still quite realistically make the top 6. We're good enough to be there

Agree with an earlier post that we are carrying too many players who are just NOT of a standard to be professional footballers, Players who give you one good performance and then lose a leg and play like bastard asses for weeks on end. I don't know any other club who would have the likes of Warland, Grozos and Ingham just to name a few yet somehow they can be in the starting line here. Its an issue across the league but we always with our limited budgets over the years seem to end up with more of these type of players than most other clubs.

What odds Penha is a smurf or running around for the drive by's next season ?. Club has gone awfully quite on that front.

This game really highlighted this teams two main struggles this season and others have already talked about them in this thread.

We give away games late and we have players that just aren’t up to standard.

We would be in the top 6 if you added up all the points we threw away in the final 10 minutes of a game.

You could also borderline make a starting XI out of players we have signed who aren’t qualified to be in this league. Murnane, Al-Taay, Grozos, Ingham, Warland and Babalj are all well below standard. Yet somehow, a majority of those players have all made 5 appearances and above, some like Ingham have appeared in most all of our games.

You can also add Arques and Savvas to that list in some way, would be average a league standard players but by international standards just don’t feel up to it.

Hopefully next season we can move on some of this lot and spend the off season recruiting some better young players to fill out our bench

I think Arques hasn't been bad at all, some visa players need time to find their feet in the a league and he (ans Savvas to some extent) is doing exactly that. Choosing Grozos over him is Papas' fault.
    Hoffman should not be in any starting 11.
    I'd like to see Beka as a support for a 1st striker, he's been great in an attacking mid position (although he has a tendency to Petratos with the ball, but that's minor...). A front with Boumal, Penha and Beka behind a striker (Goodwin?) looks pretty promising.

Yes we have holes in the squad... but is Wellington much better? Conceding in the first and last 10 also comes down to poor preparation imo.

Big picture: we should be grateful we even have a team and we can enjoy some decent football in Newy...

That was Penha's 5th yellow card this season in our 21st match, which should mean he misses the next match for yellow card accumulation.

Any cards after this should mean the player needs to accumulate 8. However the document I read off the FFA website still had Hyundai A-League all over it so who the hell knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles