Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 21/22 A-League Men | Match Day 22 | Western Sydney Wanderers v Newcastle Jets

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    That would be Hoffs only half decent performance out of his previous dozen appearances.
    Nah... best player all season, give him a 5 year extension.

/Season
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    /Season
    Same old Jets season really isn’t it?
    Show some promise, string some wins, dream of finals, couple of dropped points from draws and losses and ending with needing to win 5/5 to make the finals.

In saying that. This is the first season in a while where I’ve enjoyed watching most of our games. I like the style we are trying to play. I’m grateful we have a team, and Pappas has got us playing decent football. More than willing to let him review the season, our squad and tactical approach and optimise things for next season.
    As others have mentioned, defensively we just don’t look right. Our defence last year with bloody Boogs and NTS looked more solid than we do now, I’d almost rather be annoyed at Boogs giving away another pen, than Jurman and Elsey giving away cheap possession or being too slow to chase.

Last few games should be a last chance saloon for everybody who needs to, to stake their claim for renewal.

The WSW press in the first half was brutal and exposed how bad our defenders are at passing the ball out from the back.
    Once the WSW press died off we had some space and pretty much were dominant in the 2nd half.
    Unfortunately, I can see most teams from now on applying similar tactics against us - and that's a worry given we don't appear to have any stocks or options when it comes to CB's that can pass a ball.
    If only Boogs could have lasted another season. I think he'd be the difference between where we are and a top 4 position.

I see Boogs has been editing his wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Boogaard

69 goals in 122 matches according to wiki
    Last edited by The Dunster; 21-04-2022 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post

I see Boogs has been editing his wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Boogaard

Checks out
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

If only Boogs could have lasted another season. I think he'd be the difference between where we are and a top 4 position.

I'm not convinced. We get caught very high when we turn over the ball, we require mobile centre backs in the system we play. His lack of pace would probably make us worse
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    I'm not convinced. We get caught very high when we turn over the ball, we require mobile centre backs in the system we play. His lack of pace would probably make us worse
    Could he be slower than Jurman and Elsey? I reckon it would be a close run thing and I think I'd put my money on Boogs
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Could he be slower than Jurman and Elsey? I reckon it would be a close run thing and I think I'd put my money on Boogs
    Nah he is 100% slower as we saw last season but his reading of the game saved him alot

The A-League needs to open itself up completely to foreign players so clubs don't have to pay $300k plus a season for NPL standard CB's.
    Need to get rid of the visa player limits so locals have to lift their standards rather than just compete against other players that would never make it in the worlds best leagues.

The A-League needs to open itself up completely to foreign players so clubs don't have to pay $300k plus a season for NPL standard CB's.
    Need to get rid of the visa player limits so locals have to lift their standards rather than just compete against other players that would never make it in the worlds best leagues.
    Abolish Salary Cap (allows better quality of players to be scouted which has a flow on effect). Introduce Transfer Fees (Meaning clubs can reinvest the money into other areas). Introduce Pro/Rel (introduces risk and lift standards rather than teams phoning it in halfway through the season). And stop using transfermarkt to scout for transfers ffs. One of the biggest problems in this league is teams signing players based off NRI (Name Recognition Index). We play in Asia yet we look for farmers coming out of League 1 or 2.
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Banned
    Disagree

Where we are going wrong in this country is having 5 foreigners.

It allows our clubs to be shit at scouting and most clubs get 2 or 3 right like we have with Penha Boumal Beka it makes up for Arques and Savvas being not up to spec

I think we should push it back to three so our clubs are forced to get this recruitment right and sign players who are better than we have here

I would also force us to sign an Asian player and I don't think just signing some shitty never was Japanese or Korean player should cut the mustard here

We should be forced to sign young Asian players where we are getting a skilled player but are helping them potentially move into better leagues one day

As for playing NPL standard defenders I think the problem is we need to stop recycling ALeague level players and clubs need to be encouraged to play kids

When you see Archie Goodwin playing and scoring at his age I don't for the life of me believe we do not have the youth in this country. We need to be putting the kid's in at 17 and 18 getting 60 to 100 games into them so by the time they are 20 to 21 we can send them off to Europe to play.

Right now my biggest concern this offseason is not keeping Penha but more that our Club can hang on to Thurgate from potential overseas approaches. It be good to get another season out of him before he goes overseas

The kids are good enough we just need to stop giving these shit players a chance

I would say the last 2 years of the ALeague in se ways have been the best for many a year because we are starting to reign in the excessive salaries being paid to shit players with a ridiculously high salary cap and as a result we been forced to play the Connor Metcalfe's Marco Tillios Angus Thurgates etc and not just play them but make them key players in their teams

Hopefully Perth have finally put an end to the entire "marquee" signing nonsense with Sturridge as well.

I have always hated the WWE main event style nonsense, these FORMER football players coming in and proving just how rubbish our league's quality really is by being competitive at 45 years old with 1 leg. Piss them off and force clubs to be professional and sign players based on ability and nothing else, same goes with wages. Screw the cap, players get paid based on what they are worth, you will see clubs keeping the quality and getting rid of dead wood much quicker when they are forced to actually stay competitive with the rest of league.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Disagree

Where we are going wrong in this country is having 5 foreigners.

It allows our clubs to be shit at scouting and most clubs get 2 or 3 right like we have with Penha Boumal Beka it makes up for Arques and Savvas being not up to spec

I think we should push it back to three so our clubs are forced to get this recruitment right and sign players who are better than we have here

I would also force us to sign an Asian player and I don't think just signing some shitty never was Japanese or Korean player should cut the mustard here

We should be forced to sign young Asian players where we are getting a skilled player but are helping them potentially move into better leagues one day

As for playing NPL standard defenders I think the problem is we need to stop recycling ALeague level players and clubs need to be encouraged to play kids

When you see Archie Goodwin playing and scoring at his age I don't for the life of me believe we do not have the youth in this country. We need to be putting the kid's in at 17 and 18 getting 60 to 100 games into them so by the time they are 20 to 21 we can send them off to Europe to play.

Right now my biggest concern this offseason is not keeping Penha but more that our Club can hang on to Thurgate from potential overseas approaches. It be good to get another season out of him before he goes overseas

The kids are good enough we just need to stop giving these shit players a chance

I would say the last 2 years of the ALeague in se ways have been the best for many a year because we are starting to reign in the excessive salaries being paid to shit players with a ridiculously high salary cap and as a result we been forced to play the Connor Metcalfe's Marco Tillios Angus Thurgates etc and not just play them but make them key players in their teams
    Ok, who has taken over this account and is talking sense?
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Ok, who has taken over this account and is talking sense?
    Yeah - not sure I like the new "woke" Membah.....
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

There's some problems that have persisted across the season that have not been addressed. You THINK they have been but it's something Papas hasn't constantly rectified.

First is the fullbacks. We have regularly said Hoffman is not suited at LB but he's been forced to play there for a number of reasons:
    1. Murnane is getting caught out of position defensively and has been a liability when he's played there. Attacking he's better - defensively he needs work.
    2. Mauragis has been missing - first part he was building up after returning from OS and isolating, then when he comes in he gets suspended and now he has to work his way back. I get the sense Papas might not be a fan.
    3. Papas has needed to rotate because of the schedule, forcing us to move Hoff there from time to time

Interestingly, in the 13 games the starting fullbacks have been Hoffman & Ingham, we have Won 2, Draw 3 and lost 8.

Ideally, for me, Hoffman and Mauragis would be our starting fullbacks.

Secondly, our holding mids have constantly changed. In the 22 games we have played, the longest stretch of starting mids remaining the same is 4. That was Arques and Thurgate between matches 11 and 14 when we won, drew, lost and lost.

Other than that we changed the partnership (when compared to the previous fixture) in 13 of the 22 matches. Now this position, along with the FBs, is probably the most intensive position in our team - and changes aren't unexpected. Again, COVID fixture changes and suspensions haven't helped, but I certainly think for team fluidity and combinations this also hasn't helped.

On paper, this is the most balanced and I'd argue deepest squad we've had. Overall I am quite happy with who we have on paper. The visa recruitment has been good, not great, but better than previous years. We have the leading provider of assists with a passing ability we haven't seen since Vargas and a striker who is scoring at a rate better than most in our history. But this feels a bit more like Adam Taggart (top scorer in an overall underwhelming team) than Griff or Roy & Dimi (took us to a grand final).

We're performing (in terms of points gained), compared to other season, about on average with our history. We aren't regaining points from losing positions or losing points from a winning position and more or less than the recent history either - when we go ahead we get points, when we go behind we usually don't get it back.

I perceive from comments on here most see this as a season lost because we are outscoring every other season in our history except 2017/18 - a sentiment with which I align and agree. If we have the opportunity to build on this for next year, I think these two above issues within our control (because COVID-related fixture changes really wasn't) - by retaining the attackin intent, keeping some squad stability but improving the defensive solidity of the team.

Arrow

I am being very glass half full this season.

But IMO the core issue we've had has been an odd one. On paper, the two signings that no one complained about and that made total sense, were Elsey and Jurman. On paper they have skill-sets that complement each other, with Regan actually being a good fold for both of them as well. But for some reason beyond me, they make each other terrible. I've never seen either of them play this bad in other teams ever, but for some reason when they are paired together it's a bit of a dog's breakfast.

This has then caused the fullbacks to not be able to do what Papas wanted because there are huge gaps in behind them at all times, due to CBs who don't move as a pair and that can't organise when they need help from midfield, or when to hold the opposite fullback in place.

If the CBs had their shit together it would also mean that our CMs could stay away from the centre of the park and stay in those half spaces on each side when we have the ball. Which is great when you're passing the ball well, but when the CBs keep missing passes and you have to constantly scramble back, it makes people second guess whether they should push past the attacking midfielder to receive the pass, which then limits the CBs options and we just hoof it long. Same goes with balls over the top to fullbacks, if you've got no confidence in the CBs to find you, you won't make yourself available and then our only passes are long or sideways in front of 3 forwards who can easily press us.

Sort out which CB is worth keeping, replace the other with the right CB, and then Hoffman won't need to start because Mauragus, Murnane and Ingham will be able to play the way they are best suited to, as Papas intended.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Interesting observation and it's certainly got merit and you raise great points. I wonder, with that in mind, if that's why we looked better with 3 at the back?

Great comments guys. Much more into this than "X is shit" "No, Y is shit".

Interesting observation and it's certainly got merit and you raise great points. I wonder, with that in mind, if that's why we looked better with 3 at the back?
    I think Regan suits both of the others better than they do together. So he was a link to get them communicating better.

But we can't press high up the pitch with 2 in the middle, so it sort of ruins that part of our game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I am being very glass half full this season.

But IMO the core issue we've had has been an odd one. On paper, the two signings that no one complained about and that made total sense, were Elsey and Jurman. On paper they have skill-sets that complement each other, with Regan actually being a good fold for both of them as well. But for some reason beyond me, they make each other terrible. I've never seen either of them play this bad in other teams ever, but for some reason when they are paired together it's a bit of a dog's breakfast.

This has then caused the fullbacks to not be able to do what Papas wanted because there are huge gaps in behind them at all times, due to CBs who don't move as a pair and that can't organise when they need help from midfield, or when to hold the opposite fullback in place.

If the CBs had their shit together it would also mean that our CMs could stay away from the centre of the park and stay in those half spaces on each side when we have the ball. Which is great when you're passing the ball well, but when the CBs keep missing passes and you have to constantly scramble back, it makes people second guess whether they should push past the attacking midfielder to receive the pass, which then limits the CBs options and we just hoof it long. Same goes with balls over the top to fullbacks, if you've got no confidence in the CBs to find you, you won't make yourself available and then our only passes are long or sideways in front of 3 forwards who can easily press us.

Sort out which CB is worth keeping, replace the other with the right CB, and then Hoffman won't need to start because Mauragus, Murnane and Ingham will be able to play the way they are best suited to, as Papas intended.
    Couple of good points raised but there are also 3 other factors that are making these two look like shit cunce even more than they actually are

Now don't think I am a fan of either as they are both ****ing shit in my eyes

First issue is our keeper is poor as well. Now it would help these two a hell of a lot if the guy behind them inspired confidence and made some saves to bail his defenders out. But no we have Duncan who does not really ever make saves. Back in the days we were shit we at least had BK and Birraz pulling out 3 or 4 saves a game and winning player of the year in a shit season.

Now imagine how much shit Harry Maguire would be copping right now if he didn't have DeGea behind him making saves and keeping things somewhat respectable. Put Duncan behind Maguire and see how he goes.

To be fair to Elsey and Jurman a better keeper behind them is gonna help them no end

Next issue is our Number 6. We don't have one
    Having someone who sits in front of these two and nips in and saves these two from being exposed would help us know end. The type of player who has the presence to just sit in the right spots on the park to get a toe in to make a challenge or sense a danger and snuff it out
    Arques doesn't have the defensive nous.Grozos goes walk about. O'Doherty is probably the closest but to be fair the guy ain't good enough Wilson's a never was as well. Thurgate it ain't his best position

Get this position sorted and these two defenders ain't exposed as much

Next issue is our fullbacks. None of them are good defenders. Hoff used to be not the worst but his best days are behind him. Ingham can't defend can't attack either. Murnane is honking in defence as well

If these guys were good at going forward well you could accept some shit defending from them but they ain't offering us that.

Pick something with fullbacks at this level. Pick two guys who can bomb forward and offer outlets in attack but are average defenders or pick two guys who offer not so much going forward but sit in the backline and hold their in position so much so the defenders inside them are not having to cover them. Put yourself in Jurman or Elesys shoes do you have confidence in Hoff Ingram or Murnane to hold their own and not expose you??

These 3 things getting addressed would help these two out no end .

Pointless though as we need to address these 3 issues as well as sign 2 new central defenders as these two ain't good enough period and release Regan to NNSWL NPL level because we can do better than him and then make a call on Riley Warland and either commit to him or cut and run who despite his young age I see some glaring faults with that I don't think can actually be addressed