Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: general warning about forum behavior - particularly relating to threads about juniors

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar

general warning about forum behavior - particularly relating to threads about juniors

threads have been removed and bans will be handed out if the ridiculous behaviour carries on

you've shown you can't play nicely - so this model of anonymous posters slagging everyone off simply isn't working

I'm open to suggestions on how to open the forum again for sensible discussion, so feel free to come up with ideas on how while we're all having a bit of time to cool off and calm down

I'm thinking that we require verification, to tie people to real names and clubs they are involved with - that way we won't have all this stupid carry-on

if this thread descends into farce, I will permanently ban those who resort to trolling and bickering

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    threads have been removed and bans will be handed out if the ridiculous behaviour carries on

you've shown you can't play nicely - so this model of anonymous posters slagging everyone off simply isn't working

I'm open to suggestions on how to open the forum again for sensible discussion, so feel free to come up with ideas on how while we're all having a bit of time to cool off and calm down

I'm thinking that we require verification, to tie people to real names and clubs they are involved with - that way we won't have all this stupid carry-on

if this thread descends into farce, I will permanently ban those who resort to trolling and bickering
    Kudos.

I'm happy with a verification model. We've met in person previously and will again this season whenever we play our O/35 catch up game.
    If people have to put a real name, club, etc behind their posts I will assume that it wont descend into the farce that has occurred recently.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

👏👏👏👏👏👏

How about just not having any threads relating to junior comps? It’s a bit weird to discuss junior teams on a forum anyway in my opinion.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    How about just not having any threads relating to junior comps? It’s a bit weird to discuss junior teams on a forum anyway in my opinion.

Like the idea of real names requiring verification, to register to post in the local forums.
    I think anonymity is an important component of the forum, allowing freedom to express ideas and issues, sometimes for the better.
    However, it’s when that anonymity descends into bickering, name calling, relentless bullying, naming clubs in a derogatory manner, players, that’s when the problems start.

As a general rule, I think if you wouldn’t post something under your real name, don’t bother posting it at all when it comes to negative comments.

On the youth discussion, it’s no coincidence it was last years Youth and this years JDL thread that descended into idiocy, with parents exemplifying everything that’s wrong with junior football. For the most part, there’s some good discussion about what clubs and the competition/development program are doing well, areas that could use some attention and proposed changes are often discussed sensibly.
    I don’t mind the generalised discussion about what the program is doing well, or not doing well, but maybe Thomas is right when it comes to more personal comments naming clubs, teams, individuals as when it gets to that level, it rarely ends well.

The local forum, and the forum itself, is a great place to discuss football with like minded, equally passionate people. It’s be a big shame if the minority ruined it for everyone.

No need for verification.Just IP ban on the first stupid post,becuase its the same trolls starting it everytime and it just escalates.Problem is from what we've seen these people have no shame in real life either so they would probably be fine with everyone knowing their names it wouldnt change their behaviour.It always stems from the same place,an outdated and childish rivalry between two clubs who no one really gives a shit about.The clubs involved would be embarrassed at their names being involved in this type of garbage.The youth and JDL threads were really important information for me over the last few years with one child making the transition from JDL to NPL and our family still being involved in the JDL program.Things we learned on here proved really valuable in my kid finding a great environment and I would hate for other parents to miss out on the same info or the same resources that would make their childs experience the best it could be.
    tl;dr perma ban the clowns.

banning an IP has issues as it's very easy to get around

I'm happy to just have a break from junior threads for a while until the angry dads out there cool down and maybe reconsider their approach to their kids game

I'm open for anyone sensible to assist with moderation as well

banning an IP has issues as it's very easy to get around

I'm happy to just have a break from junior threads for a while until the angry dads out there cool down and maybe reconsider their approach to their kids game

I'd be happy to help, hopefully I am sensible enough Feel free to PM me if you want to take me up on the offer.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Reporting for duty Mr Boz.
    These clowns wont even see me coming.

you'll note I used the word "sensible"

Banned
    Keep the JDL forums closed. Why do we need a JDL forum? No scores, no tables and it’s meant for fun and development is it not. All you see is the competitive parents on there that need to get a life. Don’t give them a platform to carry on. All they do is single out individuals and clubs behind fake names. Anything they need they can get from nnsw websites or their clubs. There is a JDL page on Facebook I’m pretty sure and no one carry’s on there do they? No they don’t because they have to use their real names and are too scared to say anything negative. Keep it closed, best decision you have made.

I think we can all agree that JDL is full of coaches who think they're the next Ange and parents who think their kid is the next Cahill, all forgetting they're playing under 12s football in Newcastle.

JDL is full of cringey adults in real life and unfortunately, behind the veil of anonymity, it's even worse online.

We don't need a platform for parents who think their kid is the next breakthrough star - mainly because if their kid is a future pro, they aren't likely to need to take to an anonymous forum to chest beat to try to convince themselves of that.

18s and up (senior football) is all that needs to be discussed. Club actions as a whole should be fine too (eg xyz club should really field all youth teams, XYZ club has a great jdl program I'd recommend) but year on year the JDL forum is just full of parents living through their (primary school aged) children and it's just gross to read. Embarassing even.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUMP TOWER View Post
    Keep the JDL forums closed. Why do we need a JDL forum? No scores, no tables and itÂ?s meant for fun and development is it not. All you see is the competitive parents on there that need to get a life. DonÂ?t give them a platform to carry on. All they do is single out individuals and clubs behind fake names. Anything they need they can get from nnsw websites or their clubs. There is a JDL page on Facebook IÂ?m pretty sure and no one carryÂ?s on there do they? No they donÂ?t because they have to use their real names and are too scared to say anything negative. Keep it closed, best decision you have made.
    you are acting like you werent involved, you were a significant part of the problem. Thanks for making things worse, at least take ownership and donT pretend you weren?t a part of it.

I believe several people only joined recently to cause issues, maybe limiting new member posts would be an option in the future. It might stop the one off posts across the forums or the people who are only joining to cause issues like what has happened in recent weeks. People are also cross posting issues from one forum to another, that is another problem as it starts to drag arguments into topics where it?s not relevant.

It does concern me that several of the posters may be in positions of responsibility and donT understand their duty of care, both legally and under their WWCC for the minors they are responsible for. I really hope its something they reflect on as I did when I realised I should have worded my response in a way that showed concern because it obviously didnt come across that way, but it?s hard to respond to people who are supposed to be adults in a calm reflected manner, when they just don?t get it.

I for one apologise for my part in helping that devolve. But I hope that situations like that can be helped to be prevented rather than managed after they have happened.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Last edited by KITZ; 12-05-2022 at 12:26 PM.

My personal take on it.

Just like the Youth thread there are good conversations to be had, experiences to be shared, etc. Especially around the end of each season with regards to trials, EOI's etc.

Unfortunately too often it devolves into name calling or personal attacks.

Happy enough for it to continue (with some extra moderation) under the caveat that anyone stepping over the line will be warned & naming individuals is not to be tolerated.

Maybe keep the JDL forum but add an ?obsessed with Stoj? forum as well. I just went through last years SAP page and it?s all the exact same people saying the exact same things about the exact same person. Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    Maybe keep the JDL forum but add an “obsessed with Stoj” forum as well. I just went through last years SAP page and it’s all the exact same people saying the exact same things about the exact same person. Just a thought
    Next year he will be coaching 13s NPL so JDL page will get a rest

I?m slightly amused that we?ve already named somebody in the thread about not naming people.

this carry on isn't exactly going as it needs to reopen threads and avoid bans

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    I?m slightly amused that we?ve already named somebody in the thread about not naming people.
    Crazy but its hard to hide facts but that's for another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Reporting for duty Mr Boz.
    These clowns wont even see me coming.
    Who's this johnny come lately?