Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2022/23 Newcastle United Jets Men's Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I wonder if Mauragis is one of the reasons McGarry is let go. I haven't personally seen any of him this year but supposedly he's been doing well.

Maybe well enough that the club has decided we don't need McGarry for next season.
    As well versed on here. We shouldnt have let him go

Quote Originally Posted by samcan View Post
    As well versed on here. We shouldnt have let him go
    We haven't - he is on loan so could be called back anytime.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Herald today:

A-League soccer: Georgian Beka Dartsmelia departs as Jets move to retain home grown midfielder Angus Thurgate
    By James Gardiner
    Updated March 27 2023 - 6:23pm, first published 6:00pm

GEORGIAN midfielder Beka Darstmelia has been granted a release from his contract at the Newcastle Jets and will not return to the A-League club.

Coach Arthur Papas had planned to build an attack around Dartsmelia when he signed the attacking midfielder to a three-year deal last August.

However, the 22-year-old has struggled to settle on and off the pinch and approached the club about an early exit.

Dartsmelia returned home last week for a training camp with the Georgian under-21 side, where he is one of three overage players, and will not return to Newcastle.

"Beka has requested and we have granted him a release on compassionate grounds," Jets executive chairman Shane Mattiske said. "We signed him to a three-year contract but he was unsettled and wanted to return home. He was due back in Newcastle on Thursday, but over the course of the weekend, we have agreed for him to stay there."

A left-footer, Dartsmelia announced his arrival in the A-League with a contender for goal of the year in the 3-1 triumph over Wellington in round three.

The youth international played a one-two with Reno Piscopo before unleashing a stunning left-foot thunderbolt from 25 yards which arrowed into the top left corner.

He started in the No.10 position for the opening 10 rounds, but has since dropped down the pecking order behind Kosta Grozos and Reno Piscopo, who is expected to return after a month out with a groin injury against Melbourne City at AAMI Park on Sunday.

"Arthur has done a good job of building a squad with real depth and whilst the departure of Beka Dartsmelia wasn't in our plans, the belief is that we have players in the squad to cover that role for the balance of the season," Mattiske said.

Grozos is among 11 players off contract.

Mattiske said the club was in talks with a number of players and confirmed that home-grown star Angus Thurgate had been offered a new multi-year deal.

"We have made a very strong offer to keep Gus here not just for next year, but beyond," Mattiske said. "It is now in his hands as to whether he stays or not."

Thurgate's preference is to find a club in Europe.

Meanwhile, Jets assistant coach Ric Marchioli has departed to take up head coach role in the Victorian National Premier League.

Marchioli joined the Jets last season and guided the youth team to an NPL3 title.

"It is a good opportunity for Ric to step up and take the reins as a head coach," Mattiske said.

"That opportunity is now, so unfortunately that means he departs immediately to be there for next weekend."

Marchioli will not be replaced this season.

"If Arthur needs to lean on [women's coach] Gary van Egmond or [youth team coach] Damian Zane, they are both there," Mattiske said.
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

House of cards

Fold the shit show already, When Mattiske says the club has " real depth " you know the club is being run with delusion being the primary KPI. Real depth ?. I will have some of what he is on.

Hope Gus used this years highlights package for his Euro recruitment. Might be a chance of keeping him that way.

If he used last season’s he’s gone.

But seriously, Goodluck to him if he can get over there. A decent club could turn him into a Socceroo.

A new contract with the Hoole Euro getout clause should suffice.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Banned
    The kid has delusions if he thinks he is capable of getting a run in Europe

He don't even stand out in this shit squad that we have

Hes signed with Western United .. home ground talent to play against us whilst we sign another WSW reject

Are Western United still one of the clubs propping us up ?.
    Last edited by 380; 10-04-2023 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timewilltell View Post
    Hes signed with Western United .. home ground talent to play against us whilst we sign another WSW reject
    Ridiculous if that?s the case. If we don?t keep home grown talents we should just end it

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Ridiculous if that?s the case. If we don?t keep home grown talents we should just end it
    We now obviously grow them for the owners? keeping them happy must be more important those running the jets then keeping members happy

Quote Originally Posted by Timewilltell View Post
    Herald had a few lines saying he was linked to Western, haven't seen anything else to confirm it
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    Herald had a few lines saying he was linked to Western, haven't seen anything else to confirm it
    Nothing will be confirmed until after the end of season function. Same way it happens every year - once that's over the squad departures are announced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

That's what I said, it's only rumour till it's confirmed. Hope it's true for his sake, and mine
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    That's what I said, it's only rumour till it's confirmed. Hope it's true for his sake, and mine
    We're on the same page with rumour mate. Want having a pop. Just sharing what had happened each year - I keep record of the announcements and sometimes get asked by the media manager for data before the function for those leaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

KeepUp have indicated that Jacob Dowse will be returning g to play at the Jets next season

Surely a couple of Victory players aren?t happy?

With probably next to no cash to spend it?s going to be a much similar side next season, if only we could find a keeper, central defender and a decent wide player

In the absence of a proper owner we will once again be lining up with a first 11 where only a couple would make the match day squad elsewhere in this league. No doubt the current overlords will pick the eyes out of our squad and replace them with there glorified NPL squaddies. Enter Lederer and Wanderers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    With probably next to no cash to spend it?s going to be a much similar side next season, if only we could find a keeper, central defender and a decent wide player
    They?ve had the biggest budget they?ve had for a long time this year but with having no young local players given a chance papas continues to over spend on shit rejects from other clubs