Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Qatar 2022 World Cup

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Tippy tappy football is dead.
    Issue is more so when Spain were good at it they have Fernando Torres (when he could play) and David Villa to bang in the goals

They been persisting with Morata for the best part of 6 years

No wonder they can't go anywhere with their game

Very interesting games now.
    Some teams underwhelming but show glimpses of what they can do.
    Others seemingly overachieving and running on adrenaline.
    Battle of attrition to see what prevails.

England, Portugal, Brazil and France all seem to have another gear they could engage that we’ve seen glimpses of.
    Think Netherlands and Argentina and Croatia are playing to their capabilities. Netherlands seem to be a good team/system as opposed to a team of good players like the above teams rely on.
    Morocco playing above their capabilities imo.

France v England this weekend will be a big one - winner should get to the final.

I expect Mbappe to be in beast mode.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Very interesting games now.
    Some teams underwhelming but show glimpses of what they can do.
    Others seemingly overachieving and running on adrenaline.
    Battle of attrition to see what prevails.

England, Portugal, Brazil and France all seem to have another gear they could engage that we’ve seen glimpses of.
    Think Netherlands and Argentina and Croatia are playing to their capabilities. Netherlands seem to be a good team/system as opposed to a team of good players like the above teams rely on.
    Morocco playing above their capabilities imo.
    Feel sorry for the Dutch they usually have great attackers and don't have the defenders to win a WC

This time they got the defenders but don't have Van Basten Gullit Van Persie Robben Van Nistlerooy Bergkamp etc at the top end of the park

Rather cruel

Banned
    Couscous

You notice how when the Dutch played long balls and went Route 1 they troubled the Argies

For the bit before and after the long ball they looked completely wank

Maybe time to cut out the tikka takka

Banned
    England take a knee during the game this time

Gotta admire what a knob Southgates is 15 mins to go you are 1-0 down and you

1 take off your most effective player this game Saka
    2 take off your most creative player Foden

The guy would get the Jets relegated from the A League

F&ck you Portugal...now I am out of the sweep.

Seriously, how much did Ronaldo enhance his rep today with his immediate departure from the field at the end? Great football player but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

And England....once again it aint coming home!!
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    F&ck you Portugal...now I am out of the sweep.

Seriously, how much did Ronaldo enhance his rep today with his immediate departure from the field at the end? Great football player but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

And England....once again it aint coming home!!
    Messi has done the same thing at times but only Ronaldo seems to catch the heat

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Messi has done the same thing at times but only Ronaldo seems to catch the heat
    Prepping for the signing of Ronaldo are we Stanny?
    Think Messi is copping a bit for his recent antics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Prepping for the signing of Ronaldo are we Stanny?
    Think Messi is copping a bit for his recent antics.
    ****ing hope not. If I had my way we'd resign Abraham

It is appropriate that Foz's smart screen is at waist level.

Must need a constant wipeover when it gets a bit "messi".
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Pretty shit World Cup to be honest. Atmosphere was crap. Dont think I even saw one player get hit in the head with a bucket.

Another example of $$$>fans i guess.

Seeing the English bomb out via a penalty was quite funny tbh.

Also hilarious that both Aston Villa & Brighton both have World Cup Winners in their squads now
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    Seeing the English bomb out via a penalty was quite funny tbh.

Also hilarious that both Aston Villa & Brighton both have World Cup Winners in their squads now
    The best part about it is that a nation with a strong culture and a strong identity and doesn't import their players from all corners of the globe won

That Argentina is a country in 2022 that is 98/99% ethnically Argentinian so have proven that not embracing diversity is an actual strength

Amazing that they could win despite not embracing the current thing

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    The best part about it is that a nation with a strong culture and a strong identity and doesn't import their players from all corners of the globe won

That Argentina is a country in 2022 that is 98/99% ethnically Argentinian so have proven that not embracing diversity is an actual strength

Amazing that they could win despite not embracing the current thing
    Bahaha hahahaha, "the current thing"!!!

I take everything back I said in the past. THIS is the dumbest thing I've ever read. I don't think this will be beaten either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Mind you, if we are all offering our own stupid hot takes.

Is it slightly convenient to anyone else that Messi left his boyhood club to play in a farmer's league for a club owned by some rich Qatari's.. who were conveniently bankrolling the next world cup (which was to be Messi's last chance) and both of their team's star players were the star performers for the entire thing (very few other players have even been mentioned throughout the entire world cup). Not only did Messi win, but he scored or assisted most of Argentina's goal for the tournament. Plus Mbappe broke seemingly all the records possible with seeming ease too.

I mean, we already knew it was the most corrupt selection process for hosting rights, is it too hard to imagine that corruption magically ended as soon as the tournament begun?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Watched every World Cup live since 1978 - this was one of the best onfield and overall has been a big success.

FIFA are not stupid - like South Africa and Brazil before the politics will be quickly forgotten by the media and then the public. Nobody cries about poverty in Brazil now both the WC and Olympics are over.

The television coverage was ordinary by SBS. Their team was a jabbering mess led by the the babbling Foz and they stayed in Australia, then booked Martin Tyler to try to commentate everyday without assistance - luckily I managed to VPN myself and enjoy superior coverage from BBC and ITV, including 4k pictures. They had their teams not only in Qatar but live at each stadium.

The greatest coverage ever was Italia 90. Les, Johnny, Andy and Martin lived it over there and it showed.

Not a fan of the prematch garbage they insist on and the final presentation is more of a joke each tournament.

But in terms of football quality, fan atmosphere, times zones etc I would put this in my Top 3.

This is where FIFA and my man Sepp never get enough credit. Their ability to continually grow the game is amazing.
    They had a long term strategy what, 30 years ago to build on the World Cup and it took absolutely gigantic balls to push Europe back while they prioritised Africa and Asia and bringing them onto the World stage. Sure their methods are silly by trying to be virtuous instead of just auctioning it off like every other sport.but still.

Here we are all those years later and no one cares about italy not being there after seeing how well Morocco, Japan and other 'minnows' played.
    and to think we still have China and India yet to even make a dent and theres another few billion casuals that will eventually become invested both with time and money into the sport.

This shit is gonna get even bigger in our lifetime, glory be to Griff for making it happen.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Watched every World Cup live since 1978 - this was one of the best onfield and overall has been a big success.

FIFA are not stupid - like South Africa and Brazil before the politics will be quickly forgotten by the media and then the public. Nobody cries about poverty in Brazil now both the WC and Olympics are over.

The television coverage was ordinary by SBS. Their team was a jabbering mess led by the the babbling Foz and they stayed in Australia, then booked Martin Tyler to try to commentate everyday without assistance - luckily I managed to VPN myself and enjoy superior coverage from BBC and ITV, including 4k pictures. They had their teams not only in Qatar but live at each stadium.

The greatest coverage ever was Italia 90. Les, Johnny, Andy and Martin lived it over there and it showed.

Not a fan of the prematch garbage they insist on and the final presentation is more of a joke each tournament.

But in terms of football quality, fan atmosphere, times zones etc I would put this in my Top 3.
    I was also disappointed by SBS. That table was a disaster - all you could see was Foster and whatever sidekick he had for the day swiping something or the back of their heads. Foster kept talking over the sidekick too.

And 5-6 people was ridiculous - they got about 4 words each for the whole game.