Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 73

Thread: 22/23 A-League Men | Match Day 05 | Melbourne Victory v Newcastle Jets

  1. #41
    Senior Member Jeterpool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wait, I know this one
    Posts
    10,983
    Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    It was nearly game time and no thread? Certain users have taken it upon themselves to start the game day threads, and then they don't. Fair warning, if the thread isn't up the day before, I will start it
    Am I your "certain user"?

    Because you're clearly mistaken if you think it's my job to put up a post each and every week. I do it when I can.... and this week I couldn't. You have no idea what's going on in people's lives. This a community, not a public service.

    And since you're threatening that's you'll do it, I'll take your fair warning. Jobs yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrycripps View Post
    Arthur Papas is a very good
    coach
    However as much as he wants to be Ange 2 he won't as long as he is told who to sign and who to play
    Ange P is an arrogant person, just like Papas, but the difference is he is the boss, win or lose

    Papas has had more of a free reign on signings & selections (within budget) than probably any other manager in the Jets history and all he has achieved is alienating coaching staff & local players from 13s up.
    Ange may well be arrogant, but at least he has the track record to back it.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Am I your "certain user"?

    Because you're clearly mistaken if you think it's my job to put up a post each and every week. I do it when I can.... and this week I couldn't. You have no idea what's going on in people's lives. This a community, not a public service.

    And since you're threatening that's you'll do it, I'll take your fair warning. Jobs yours.
    Not having a go at you, if you can't do the usual stuff, you can't. What I'm saying is, if you can't get it done by the day before, I don't mind starting the thread and you can insert your stuff later. I like how some on here having a go at me for wanting a bit of order in the place,but it's the same ones as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by northern_swan View Post

    Papas has had more of a free reign on signings & selections (within budget) than probably any other manager in the Jets history and all he has achieved is alienating coaching staff & local players from 13s up.
    Ange may well be arrogant, but at least he has the track record to back it.
    True this, riding on the " i worked for Ange coat tails " has created some false aura around this bloke.

    Anyways as a club we are probably at the point where our current ownership model of 4 other club owners have invested more than any potential R.O.I. Correct me if i am wrong but this is the third season the other 4 club owners have been propping us up ?. In which case and entirely IMO i bet a business case is being made at present to sell another license to a Wollongong or Canberra entity in order to maintain a 12 team competition and give our 4 owners the best opportunity to recoup as much as they possibly can. If the selling of a new license is the easier and more profitable route to take you can bet that will come under serious consideration.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Couscous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Worldwide culinary phenomenon
    Posts
    1,471
    GVE faced massive constraints, working with some of the league's most dubious club owners.

    But Papas has had a scant budget. Little point in freedom if you can't afford anyone.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,681
    righto gary

  7. #47
    Senior Member Couscous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Worldwide culinary phenomenon
    Posts
    1,471
    Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    If the selling of a new license is the easier and more profitable route to take you can bet that will come under serious consideration.
    If the A-Leagues Men can't sustain a team in Newcastle, there's no hope in hell for a team in Wollongong. And probably no hope in Canberra.

    It has to work in Newy. If not, the league will die.

  8. #48
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    5,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    If the A-Leagues Men can't sustain a team in Newcastle, there's no hope in hell for a team in Wollongong. And probably no hope in Canberra.

    It has to work in Newy. If not, the league will die.
    Mate it's already dead in newcastle, Only the diehards remain and more and more drop off each season.
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��


    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Merewether
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Mate it's already dead in newcastle, Only the diehards remain and more and more drop off each season.
    Cous is right - the sole reason the other clubs invested was because they need regional clubs to have a credible league - and Newcastle has form when successful.

    No other regional club in Australia can work like Newcastle if successful - not one.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

  10. #50
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    5,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Cous is right - the sole reason the other clubs invested was because they need regional clubs to have a credible league - and Newcastle has form when successful.

    No other regional club in Australia can work like Newcastle if successful - not one.
    If your meaning of successful is we win a few games, Crowds increase for a game or two until we then lose then they drop off massively again and only really turn up for a GF or finals game then sure, because that is what happened in 17/18 We were guaranteed finals 3-4 games out, Playing well then we lost a game and the last 2 or 3 games the crowds were pathetic once again.

    Only way the Jerks sustain good crowds and community engagement consistently is if we win every week and never lose again because Newcastle only cares if we win
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��


    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    If the A-Leagues Men can't sustain a team in Newcastle, there's no hope in hell for a team in Wollongong. And probably no hope in Canberra.

    It has to work in Newy. If not, the league will die.
    Rubbish, Canberra or Wolves would draw twice as many through the gate than the Bulls or Western United currently do yet here we are they got a start. At the end of the day its all about the dollars not the geographical location.

    There is a limit to what these 4 other club owners are going to tip in to keep us going. Any idea what W.U. or the cows had to pony up to get a start ?. Because if that figure is more than a sale price that can be attained for the Jets then you know how this goes ?. Money talks BS walks. Who is to say in the future the powers that be say if Newcastle are to have a team in the A League then that will have to happen through promotion n relegation.

    You only hope this don't happen Gary so you don't have to relocate should you be successful in getting the coaching gig.

  12. #52
    Senior Member Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    3,390
    Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    If your meaning of successful is we win a few games, Crowds increase for a game or two until we then lose then they drop off massively again and only really turn up for a GF or finals game then sure, because that is what happened in 17/18 We were guaranteed finals 3-4 games out, Playing well then we lost a game and the last 2 or 3 games the crowds were pathetic once again.

    Only way the Jerks sustain good crowds and community engagement consistently is if we win every week and never lose again because Newcastle only cares if we win

    Incorrect.

    As usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

  13. #53
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    5,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Incorrect.

    As usual.
    How? Look at our team/club lets say last 5 or so years even longer. Crowds have been shit, Slightly pick up if we win a few then drop away as soon as we lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��


    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

  14. #54
    Senior Member Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    3,390
    Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    How? Look at our team/club lets say last 5 or so years even longer. Crowds have been shit, Slightly pick up if we win a few then drop away as soon as we lose.
    Considering we aren't a capital city, our crowds are fine. They just need to get away from that lifeless stadium so the team can actually notice anyone is there.

    Our crowds are almost always more than CCM and Nix (the only other two non capital city teams) and so far are beating the new franchises too. We can't get the numbers Sydney and Melbourne does, but we should be trying to aim for Brisbane and Perth numbers if we can get the gameday experience better. Our stadium is way too big to be enjoyable, it feels so empty all tbe time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

  15. #55
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    5,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Considering we aren't a capital city, our crowds are fine. They just need to get away from that lifeless stadium so the team can actually notice anyone is there.

    Our crowds are almost always more than CCM and Nix (the only other two non capital city teams) and so far are beating the new franchises too. We can't get the numbers Sydney and Melbourne does, but we should be trying to aim for Brisbane and Perth numbers if we can get the gameday experience better. Our stadium is way too big to be enjoyable, it feels so empty all tbe time.
    I agree get away from this stadium 100% but we have no other alternatives sadly unless they are upgraded to A-League standard
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��


    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Merewether
    Posts
    5,437
    All sports are results based so it is obvious that form affects crowds - the Knights don't get what they did either. And the availability of live TV is very competitive - I see reduced crowds across all sports.

    I recall times when we outdrew the Smurfs on a regular basis and one weekend when we outdrew said Knights by a couple of thousand. And what about 2007 when we went from a crowd of 4000 to over 20000 within weeks just based on a few wins? Fans are fickle and have lots of entertainment options now. It is sad to hear friends say they won't go "because it looks like it might rain", and watch it on TV - it isn't as important.

    I do wish we could transplant Hindmarsh Stadium though. No2 is nowhere near A-League standard (but could be).
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

  17. #57
    Senior Member MFKS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    KOTARA STH
    Posts
    15,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    All sports are results based so it is obvious that form affects crowds - the Knights don't get what they did either. And the availability of live TV is very competitive - I see reduced crowds across all sports.

    I recall times when we outdrew the Smurfs on a regular basis and one weekend when we outdrew said Knights by a couple of thousand. And what about 2007 when we went from a crowd of 4000 to over 20000 within weeks just based on a few wins? Fans are fickle and have lots of entertainment options now. It is sad to hear friends say they won't go "because it looks like it might rain", and watch it on TV - it isn't as important.

    I do wish we could transplant Hindmarsh Stadium though. No2 is nowhere near A-League standard (but could be).

    Why do we say things are not A League standard??

    The comp is a farce

    We could play the games at Empire Park and no one would notice these days

    I really wish we would just go play games at Magic Park or No2

    **** the Prawn Sandwich Eaters off
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

    Double-eff-aye should introduce a 3rd division and dump these ice addict welfare living scumbags straight there. dont even let them get their stink anywhere near 2nd division.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Why do we say things are not A League standard??

    The comp is a farce

    We could play the games at Empire Park and no one would notice these days

    I really wish we would just go play games at Magic Park or No2

    **** the Prawn Sandwich Eaters off
    What does the A League require in regard to stadium standard? Didn't Magic and Olympic recently hold FFA Cup games at No. 2 versus A League competition? Surely if its good enough for those games it is good enough for the A League.

    A bigger issue might be that the Jets are locked into a contractual agreement with the Venues NSW for the Hunter Stadium. When the Martin Lee money dried up the Jets were in for a huge debt to the government so I would guess there has been some revised agreement which means the Jets are stuck at the HS for the foreseeable.

  19. #59
    Senior Member Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    3,390
    Large crowds would solve all our issues, but I think aiming to find a financial situation that is sustainable for our core fans is the only way we guarantee long term success as a club.
    If we can find a way to cover our costs when we have 7500 people, which is obviously away from Macdonald Jones, then we are sorted.

    I think the only way to be sustainable as a league is for clubs to either own their own smaller stadium or have an exclusive deal at one. The NRL and AFL will always use their leverage to screw football teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    622
    The stadium is not a problem for me, I quite like it as a facility. If anything, the grass hills behind the goals should be improved as that would massively contribute to a better football atmosphere - with a decent tifo like any respectable team in a national league.

    Stadium is not too big... the crowds are to small.

    There is potential for 14-15k every game.

    I mean, if the Knights have 20k regularly...

    Hard to imagine a new 15k facility getting built in Newcastle. And the Jets owning a stadium... that's beyond any wild imagination!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •