Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NPL Mens

How many people are catching buses and trains to a grand final?

Banned
    What's wrong with 2-3pm kick off on a Sunday arvo

Worked well 10 years ago when it was the last game of the season for NNSW

All the teams had finished up in all comps

Used to get 4k at Magic Park in those days

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    What's wrong with 2-3pm kick off on a Sunday arvo

Worked well 10 years ago when it was the last game of the season for NNSW

All the teams had finished up in all comps

Used to get 4k at Magic Park in those days
    4800 at Magic vs Olympic @ Magic Park

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    4800 at Magic vs Olympic @ Magic Park
    Not only the crowd but that but such a well organised day.Why they ever went away from that concept is baffling.In the future id love to see similar days at Jaffas/Darling St/Rosebuds.Hopefully some homework is done before making decisions for next year we should be doing better than 2000 for our premier day.

WNPL crowd figure would be total across the day. Having 5 games would help when you consider number of parents, relatives, friends and other teams that come and watch the younger girls.

How good would it be to have mens Grand Final feature U13 through to 1st grade.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Not only the crowd but that but such a well organised day.Why they ever went away from that concept is baffling.In the future id love to see similar days at Jaffas/Darling St/Rosebuds.Hopefully some homework is done before making decisions for next year we should be doing better than 2000 for our premier day.
    The location isn?t the problem. Having lower division finals and PYL games on the same day as the Grand Final is crazy.
    It should be a stand alone final game of the season. Start the season later if needed but ensure that there is no other football on that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    How good would it be to have mens Grand Final feature U13 through to 1st grade.
    Can't wait for people to complain about the 9pm kick off time for the grand final

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    It should be a stand alone final game of the season. Start the season later if needed but ensure that there is no other football on that day.
    Had people complain about there only being Reserves and 1sts being played, never mind 1st grade being the only game for the day

The location isn?t the problem. Having lower division finals and PYL games on the same day as the Grand Final is crazy.
    Correct, the NPL GF should be the final of football in Newy, maybe WPL on the saturday and NPL on Sunday.

No matter what they do or where they have it etc somebody is gonna be upset and have a 'better' idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Can't wait for people to complain about the 9pm kick off time for the grand final

Had people complain about there only being Reserves and 1sts being played, never mind 1st grade being the only game for the day
    Still have both NPL Res & Firsts but on a stand alone day.

As I said I had no problem with it being at Edgeworth,only the kickoff time.I suggested the other grounds because if NNSW want to share it around then those are the best venues (as well as Edgeworth and hopefully/eventually a revamped Lake Mac oval).Agree as well it should be a standalone day on the final day of football in the region.With those grounds not being shared by other sports going a week or 2 later shouldnt matter.

No2 ground was good. Magic, Adamstown would be my best pics for GFs due to good views and central location.

Edgy isnt too far away, surprised by lack of numbers. I bet a few got in for free like last year that werent counted

I agree the NPL grand final should be the last game of the year in the region. It's weird that the Zone league competitions still have 2 weekends to play.

I think the suggestion of Sunday afternoon GF is a good one. But would not have worked this year with the Knights playing at the same time.

GF should be a Saturday afternoon 3pm kick off at any ground that is in good condition and is relatively easy to access. Magic, Darling St, Rosebuds, Edgy, even Arthur Edden would all do a fine job.

Is it time to predict team of the year and player off the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Absolutely. The pitch looked great at Edgy, but the only problem is that it's in Edgeworth. Far too inaccessible for the majority of people who would want to go to the game.
    I am one of the biggest supporters that the NPL Grand Final should be at Magic and be the last game of the NNSW calendar.. however I do have to point out that it feels like calling Edgeworth far too inaccessible for the majority of people is such a bad take.
    OK

Absolutely. The pitch looked great at Edgy, but the only problem is that it's in Edgeworth. Far too inaccessible for the majority of people who would want to go to the game. The women's game also pulled that crowd while clashing with 30k next door. Many more would have gone if that game wasn't on.
    Really? Take a look at a map. Take into account that NNSW NPL includes the lower Hunter area and then Edgeworth is more central than most. It is just off the link road and close to the larger dormitory suburbs such as Cameron Park, Maryland, Fletcher. It is a freeway run from the growing areas of Maitland. I'd argue that it is more accessible to for the region than most.
    Now in saying that, I don't want it to become the home of finals football. The joy ($ windfall) should be spread around.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Really? Take a look at a map. Take into account that NNSW NPL includes the lower Hunter area and then Edgeworth is more central than most. It is just off the link road and close to the larger dormitory suburbs such as Cameron Park, Maryland, Fletcher. It is a freeway run from the growing areas of Maitland. I'd argue that it is more accessible to for the region than most.
    Now in saying that, I don't want it to become the home of finals football. The joy ($ windfall) should be spread around.
    What should happen is Northern should build their own mini stadium (IE: should have taken lakes over when they built that shit hole at Speers Point) and play Finals etc there, that way no-one gets a boost of income, neutral ground etc

Yes I've seen maps of Newcastle. So if Edgeworth is so accessible to everyone, is that why there was such a bumper crowd? Were the dormants of Cameron Park, Maryland and Fletcher there in droves?
    The weather was perfect, no other football on at the time, four popular, well supported clubs (Edgeworth, Olympic, Lambton and Magic) featured including one being the host club on the day.

Can you honestly say that Edgeworth hosting would have pulled bigger numbers than it being hosted at No 2, Adamstown Oval or even Arthur Edden?
    Last edited by Lofty; 13-09-2023 at 03:51 PM.
    It's football, not s***er!!

Yes I've seen maps of Newcastle. So if Edgeworth is so accessible to everyone, is that why there was such a bumper crowd? Were the dormants of Cameron Park, Maryland and Fletcher there in droves?
    The weather was perfect, no other football on at the time, four popular, well supported clubs (Edgeworth, Olympic, Lambton and Magic) featured including one being the host club on the day.

Can you honestly say that Edgeworth hosting would have pulled bigger numbers than it being hosted at No 2, Adamstown Oval or even Arthur Edden?
    Mate, not commenting on the crowd. Just saying that you are dead wrong on Edgy being inaccessible.

As to why the crowd was poor; I reckon most people in the region are more interested in the Knights at the moment and that the crowd would have been similar anywhere. I thought the promotion of the game by NNSW could have been better.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Mate, not commenting on the crowd. Just saying that you are dead wrong on Edgy being inaccessible.

As to why the crowd was poor; I reckon most people in the region are more interested in the Knights at the moment and that the crowd would have been similar anywhere. I thought the promotion of the game by NNSW could have been better.
    That's all well and good, but we can only really comment on the facts and they are that both the mens and womens grand finals had very similar crowd numbers.
    And boy am I glad you brought up the Knights, because they actually played the same time as the womens final.
    I just wonder if the womens game being closer to town than the mens game was the reason for similar crowd numbers despite the womens having the massive hurdle of nearly half of Newcastle wanting to watch the Knights game.
    It's football, not s***er!!