Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NPL Mens

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    How about we give participation ribbons to the 7 teams that didnt finish 8th, and we can hand them out at a big awards ceremony named after a former player from our region who represented at the highest level.
    can NNSWF afford this?
    i think ribbons are more expensive now, due to increased cost of plastics

Quote Originally Posted by travellingman View Post
    I don't agree with your suggestion.
    It's called Promotion/Relegation for a reason.
    Why should 1st and 2nd in NPL1 be forced into a playoff to be promoted?
    Certainly it's a matter of choice, but 1st and 2nd in NPL2 need to be competitive. If they are in fact poorer options than last 2 places in NPL1 then perhaps they shouldn't be. Just a thought because relegating a strong and successful club on the basis of one poor year, and replacing them with a team that is far worse does not seem logical in my opinion. Giving teams a chance to gain promotion and adding greater interest at the back end of the season is what I would see as a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Quare Caeruleum View Post
    Certainly it's a matter of choice, but 1st and 2nd in NPL2 need to be competitive. If they are in fact poorer options than last 2 places in NPL1 then perhaps they shouldn't be. Just a thought because relegating a strong and successful club on the basis of one poor year, and replacing them with a team that is far worse does not seem logical in my opinion. Giving teams a chance to gain promotion and adding greater interest at the back end of the season is what I would see as a positive.
    As I said it's called Promotion/Relegation for a reason.
    You cannot dangle a carrot in front of clubs and then say you're not good enough because you can't beat the lower teams in the higher group.
    1st and 2nd in the lower group are forced to invest in the club to stay up.
    It's called development of the club and the competitions.

Damon Green from Magic to Maitland… announced on Maitland face book page.

Quote Originally Posted by travellingman View Post
    As I said it's called Promotion/Relegation for a reason.
    You cannot dangle a carrot in front of clubs and then say you're not good enough because you can't beat the lower teams in the higher group.
    1st and 2nd in the lower group are forced to invest in the club to stay up.
    It's called development of the club and the competitions.
    That's your opinion and you, like everyone, are entitled to have a say. But while yes, it is called promotion and relegation, it hasn't always been around, and no doubt there was reason behind not applying it. What I'm suggesting is a compromise, allowing the chance for promotion, but not forcing it if it's not warranted. I'm sure many clubs lack the desire to be promoted because they realise the added pressure and inability to be competitive, while some top division clubs would be devastated and may not be able to recover if one poor year led to demotion.
    Either way, the suggestion can be accepted, ignored or improved upon. Most likely it will be ignored, but that's OK by me, since I'm really not invested in the outcome. But I'm not hearing many alternative suggestions, just complaints.
    The whole reasoning behind the overall package was to have sufficient games, keep competition games more relevant (straight promotion and relegation could be decided 6 or 7 weeks prior to season ending leaving little interest), and ensure the strongest clubs are in the top division. That may not be everyone's aim, but personally, I would see it as desirable.

NNSW NPL should be a 10 team competition, pretty simple. I can't see what all the debate is about. There's not enough depth to have any more teams.

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    NNSW NPL should be a 10 team competition, pretty simple. I can't see what all the debate is about. There's not enough depth to have any more teams.
    You're probably right, not a lot of viable options to warrant automatic promotion as well.

Any trials on today or tomorrow

Edgey v Blacktown 4pm at Jack McLaughlan

Adamstown v Maitland today at Adamstown. 4pm

Adamstown 2 Maitland 1

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Adamstown 2 Maitland 1
    Were Maitland at full strength?

Agreed certainly not enough depth around to cater for more teams, a stronger comp across the board is needed have we really seen much youth development since the removal of reserve grade and introduction of the younger comp? I have seen some clubs try but unless you spend the dollars the chances of being a top 4 to 5 club is slim

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Any trials on today or tomorrow
    New lambton vs Parramatta fc(melita)
    1-1

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Were Maitland at full strength?
    Far from an expert on NPL personnel but pretty sure Read, Crowley & Bailey were out there. There was obviously more cause they fielded a full team but whether they were at full strength is up to someone with more knowledge than myself to decide.

I can confirm though that the field was marked about 10-15m shorter than normal which was probably appreciated this early in the season.

Blacktown 4.0 over Edgeworth

If anyone is keen for a hit of football or kebapi, the Suns and Magic seniors & juniors are hosting Maso Cup this weekend.

This is the biggest Maso Cup as far as particiaption goes with 17 clubs from across Australia here for the weekend including the likes of Rockdale Suns, Preston Lions, Altona Magic. Games will be played Friday night at Magic park and then Saturday on Myer Park, Adamtown oval and the fields between across two opens mens divisions, under 20's, over 35's and womens comps.
    Sunday is finals day with the games being held at Adamstown oval and some on Myer.

No cover charge at any of the venues, plenty of food and drink for those interested!

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...06101011221497
    It's football, not s***er!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    If anyone is keen for a hit of football or kebapi, the Suns and Magic seniors & juniors are hosting Maso Cup this weekend.

This is the biggest Maso Cup as far as particiaption goes with 17 clubs from across Australia here for the weekend including the likes of Rockdale Suns, Preston Lions, Altona Magic. Games will be played Friday night at Magic park and then Saturday on Myer Park, Adamtown oval and the fields between across two opens mens divisions, under 20's, over 35's and womens comps.
    Sunday is finals day with the games being held at Adamstown oval and some on Myer.

No cover charge at any of the venues, plenty of food and drink for those interested!

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...06101011221497
    Ok. This explains why the goalposts went up on Myer/Adamstown 2 today. I was a bit worried about the blokes fielding at fine leg but it all makes sense now.

Should be a good weekend.

Any trials this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapevine View Post
    Any trials this weekend?
    Cooks Hill and Valo. Maso Cup. NL v UNSW. Not sure of results. NL playing a lot of Sydney teams.