Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NPL Mens

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Their demise has been coming for a while now , like many clubs before them they will continue to slide down with no support from the governing body who should?ve noticed like the rest of us. The ivory tower needs proper ? club support ? personnel in place.
    In all seriousness, what do you expect NNSWF to do?

Performance wise, there needs to be a loser, a winner, and a mix in between. At the moment they are a poor team, and have been for a number of years, but there has been no motivation to improve. You finish last and still turn up next year to NPL and reap the sponsorship bonuses of being in NPL.

NNSWF tried to help clubs. They thought that the pressures of promotion/relegation was preventing clubs from looking at the bigger picture and focussing on quick fixes of splashing cash for a year to avoid relegation and not really paying any attention to facilities or development of youth. So they axed relegation. Gave clubs the last 10 years to put programs in place, to set up their junior and youth pathways, implementing JDL, youth etc and taking some pressure off on field performance.
    I’m sure NNSWF would’ve put out some kind of framework for the implementation of youth, JDL etc. But NNSW can’t choose who clubs employ or the direction clubs want to take.

We’ve seen Edgy reap the rewards of a decent coach and what youth can do with decent recruitment, scouting and coaching.
    Most clubs have some kind of success story over the 10 years.
    Eg. Charlestown performing well in NPL. But their youth is poor.
    Cooks Hill and New Lambton have made the jump to NPL in recent years and are developing and adapting.
    Even Olympics whose NPL is not quite where they would want to be, their youth is doing great.
    Jaffas were once a NPL first grade only club, now their youth is top of youth championship.

The struggling clubs over the last 10 years have been Adamstown, Lake Macquarie and Valentine. And hopefully for their sake, Valentine look like they are turning a corner with some good youth performances and NPL mid table (maybe not mid, but not bottom).

While I don’t want to see any clubs in particular get relegated, it’s necessary to improve the competition and keep clubs accountable and also to give clubs in NL1 something to work towards.
    Not all clubs have a good sponsorship income or location or club prestige. But each club needs to figure something out, need to find what works for them. Maybe it’s a long path Eg waiting for their JDL to come through to youth and NPL. Maybe it’s relying on your sponsors to fork out good $$$$ so you can get the best players to your club, if it’s sustainable, fair play. If it’s not, you’ll soon learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    In all seriousness, what do you expect NNSWF to do?

Performance wise, there needs to be a loser, a winner, and a mix in between. At the moment they are a poor team, and have been for a number of years, but there has been no motivation to improve. You finish last and still turn up next year to NPL and reap the sponsorship bonuses of being in NPL.

NNSWF tried to help clubs. They thought that the pressures of promotion/relegation was preventing clubs from looking at the bigger picture and focussing on quick fixes of splashing cash for a year to avoid relegation and not really paying any attention to facilities or development of youth. So they axed relegation. Gave clubs the last 10 years to put programs in place, to set up their junior and youth pathways, implementing JDL, youth etc and taking some pressure off on field performance.
    I’m sure NNSWF would’ve put out some kind of framework for the implementation of youth, JDL etc. But NNSW can’t choose who clubs employ or the direction clubs want to take.

We’ve seen Edgy reap the rewards of a decent coach and what youth can do with decent recruitment, scouting and coaching.
    Most clubs have some kind of success story over the 10 years.
    Eg. Charlestown performing well in NPL. But their youth is poor.
    Cooks Hill and New Lambton have made the jump to NPL in recent years and are developing and adapting.
    Even Olympics whose NPL is not quite where they would want to be, their youth is doing great.
    Jaffas were once a NPL first grade only club, now their youth is top of youth championship.

The struggling clubs over the last 10 years have been Adamstown, Lake Macquarie and Valentine. And hopefully for their sake, Valentine look like they are turning a corner with some good youth performances and NPL mid table (maybe not mid, but not bottom).

While I don’t want to see any clubs in particular get relegated, it’s necessary to improve the competition and keep clubs accountable and also to give clubs in NL1 something to work towards.
    Not all clubs have a good sponsorship income or location or club prestige. But each club needs to figure something out, need to find what works for them. Maybe it’s a long path Eg waiting for their JDL to come through to youth and NPL. Maybe it’s relying on your sponsors to fork out good $$$$ so you can get the best players to your club, if it’s sustainable, fair play. If it’s not, you’ll soon learn.
    Great comment mate, but you failed to address the teams they left behind when they ceased promotion, South Cardiff were and NPL club for 17 years and were extremely successful over that period, two grand final appearances and a few reserve grade premierships but ran last in the wrong year but we?re still competing, I think they had 20 plus points when relegated, I could be wrong, at the time of relegation they still held an NPL licence, handed out to those that worked on facilities etc etc, a licence that was a legal contract and NNSWF new that but disregarded the club, if it went to court NNSWF would have lost and promotion and relegation would have stayed but who could afford that, so after many years of hard work the club was left to wallow in second division with no light at the end of the tunnel, northern have a lot to answer for, finally their is light at the end of the tunnel and clubs can plan where they want to be or where they want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Great comment mate, but you failed to address the teams they left behind when they ceased promotion, South Cardiff were and NPL club for 17 years and were extremely successful over that period, two grand final appearances and a few reserve grade premierships but ran last in the wrong year but we?re still competing, I think they had 20 plus points when relegated, I could be wrong, at the time of relegation they still held an NPL licence, handed out to those that worked on facilities etc etc, a licence that was a legal contract and NNSWF new that but disregarded the club, if it went to court NNSWF would have lost and promotion and relegation would have stayed but who could afford that, so after many years of hard work the club was left to wallow in second division with no light at the end of the tunnel, northern have a lot to answer for, finally their is light at the end of the tunnel and clubs can plan where they want to be or where they want to go.
    If I recall correctly, weren't South broke when relegated?
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    If I recall correctly, weren't South broke when relegated?
    Far from it, not sure where you got that from and what it has to do with my post

So they axed relegation. Gave clubs the last 10 years to put programs in place, to set up their junior and youth pathways, implementing JDL, youth etc and taking some pressure off on field performance.
    Another NNSW disgrace. Their arrogance and incompetence sent it all down the shute.

Yeh, possibly the worst year to finish last.
    And as you say, went into the abyss of New FM with no return date in sight.
    And least some other relegated clubs like Lakes, Valo, Azzurri all had the “play well next year and we go back up” as a means to retain players, coaches, supporters.
    From memory that last season, they did struggle a little (still not as bad as some of the struggling we’ve seen over the last 10 years though).
    Prior to that they were consistently top 4 in youth for like a 5-6 year period and transitioned a lot of those youth players into seniors and a 23s premiership and first grade appearances. There was definitely a lot to like there.

But yes, NNSWF really shut the door on them and other clubs that could have been striving for return to the NPL like, West Wallsend and Toronto or debut Belswans.

Anyway. Past is the past.
    Hopefully we are back on the right path and successful clubs can be rewarded and those that have not been so successful can address those shortfalls and push for promotion the next season.

It's quite simple, There isn't enough players of NPL first grade level to have 12 clubs. There is always going to be someone struggling. Unfortunately for Lakes, it has been them for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    It's quite simple, There isn't enough players of NPL first grade level to have 12 clubs. There is always going to be someone struggling. Unfortunately for Lakes, it has been them for some time now.
    Watching the games this season, there?s not enough players of NPL first grade quality to fill 3 teams. The quality is terrible

Far from it, not sure where you got that from and what it has to do with my post
    From sources on the club committee. What it as to do with your post is that one of the relegation issues was lack of money.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    From sources on the club committee. What it as to do with your post is that one of the relegation issues was lack of money.
    From this you obviously no nothing, couldn?t be further from the truth, everyone got paid with coin to spare, the reason they were relegated was because they weren?t good enough in a very competitive era, unlike today, stop spreading rumours

From this you obviously no nothing, couldn?t be further from the truth, everyone got paid with coin to spare, the reason they were relegated was because they weren?t good enough in a very competitive era, unlike today, stop spreading rumours
    Did the money completely dry up at Southy when they went down? Its a shame because as pointed out the likes of Azzurri, Valo & Lakes all managed to push their way back into the top division after going down. Just curious why Southy never managed to get back there despite from the outside looking in appearing to be a financially efficient and sustainable club?

Quote Originally Posted by Zonal Marking View Post
    Did the money completely dry up at Southy when they went down? Its a shame because as pointed out the likes of Azzurri, Valo & Lakes all managed to push their way back into the top division after going down. Just curious why Southy never managed to get back there despite from the outside looking in appearing to be a financially efficient and sustainable club?
    They never managed to get back there because promotion/relegation was ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonal Marking View Post
    Yeh. Taffy has responded.
    But I said they all had the opportunity to get back up the following seasons. Southy did not.

I think the next year or 2 following relegation is a clubs best chance, otherwise a full rebuild is on the cards. Sponsors leave, players leave, supporters leave. The flow on effect of being relegated can end clubs. Conversely the aspirations of a club trying to be promoted can build that club.

Yeh. Taffy has responded
    But I said they all had the opportunity to get back up the following seasons. Southy did not.

I think the next year or 2 following relegation is a clubs best chance, otherwise a full rebuild is on the cards. Sponsors leave, players leave, supporters leave. The flow on effect of being relegated can end clubs. Conversely the aspirations of a club trying to be promoted can build that club.
    I remember watching Southy with mates when they were going good, they need the right people involved,coach and president to start with and they should be one club with junior club with a strong leader to bring it all together.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Cooks Hill 1 Maitland 1

the winning run comes to an end

Wow. The second tale of the tape does not lie. Ouch!

I was at the game today, while Maitland missed a lot of opportunities they normally eat for breakfast in both halves credit has to go to Cooks Hill . I say this in respect for Cooks Hill defence… there back 4 scrambled well… Cookers dominated 30m out of 45m in second half .Maitland should have been up 3-0 1st half but missed there opportunities. CooksHill have some very decent players in there stocks and def a club to watch in the future

I remember watching Southy with mates when they were going good, they need the right people involved,coach and president to start with and they should be one club with junior club with a strong leader to bring it all together.
    They have the right guy at the top now. Never seen a more passionate coach

Southy have good people involved right now. Coach with a program of developing youth, supportive committee & president. Community & NL1 clubs working together better than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by northern_swan View Post
    Southy have good people involved right now. Coach with a program of developing youth, supportive committee & president. Community & NL1 clubs working together better than ever.
    Meh they?ll turn into an Adamstown. Produce youth players and once they hit first grade level other clubs will swoop in and grab them making them have to restart every 2-3 years