Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NPL Mens

Probably an unpopular opinion, but senior competition should not be required to have youth teams (obviously they want them, as it helps fund the senior teams) but for those that can't field them (for whatever reason), they should not be required to have them as a condition of their licences

Decoupling hopefully helps with that, and certainly wouldn't want a great senior team to suffer for a "club championship" style promotion opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Does that mean Northern have loosened their criteria beyond youth decoupling? You've now got ZPL clubs that may not have met the same club/administrative/facilities criteria as the NPL clubs but are two good seasons on the pitch away from being in NPL.
    Welcome to Hexham

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Minor premiers are first past the post
    Major Premiers win the post season series.
    Don't worry, just playing devil's advocate.
    Incorrect, it was changed a few years ago to Premiers and Garndfinal winners. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by WOW2.0 View Post
    Probably an unpopular opinion, but senior competition should not be required to have youth teams (obviously they want them, as it helps fund the senior teams) but for those that can't field them (for whatever reason), they should not be required to have them as a condition of their licences

Decoupling hopefully helps with that, and certainly wouldn't want a great senior team to suffer for a "club championship" style promotion opportunity
    Talking too much sense ?.. stop it

Interesting thoughts. Some NPL/NL1 clubs put a lot of time effort and money into their youth programmes. Others see youth as a necessary (required) inconvenience. No doubt the majority tap the youth as a source of funds, but those "rego" funds alone are not the main income that pays the senior teams. I think some would see it as a great opportunity to ditch youth (or move them back to community where the cost of having teams is far lower and they can still make money from the kids/families in other ways) if they could still remain an NPL/NL1 club. "Long term plans be damned, we will still buy the best players". If this came to pass, I think that the quality of football would decline over time.

I think that to ensure the longevity of improving football standards and to have an "elite" competition, premier youth must remain mandated for both the 2 upper tiers. If we let the second tier dump premier youth, over time those clubs will not have quality coming through and promotion/relegation will die as those in the second tier will never have the quality to challenge the top tier.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Interesting thoughts. Some NPL/NL1 clubs put a lot of time effort and money into their youth programmes. Others see youth as a necessary (required) inconvenience. No doubt the majority tap the youth as a source of funds, but those "rego" funds alone are not the main income that pays the senior teams. I think some would see it as a great opportunity to ditch youth (or move them back to community where the cost of having teams is far lower and they can still make money from the kids/families in other ways) if they could still remain an NPL/NL1 club. "Long term plans be damned, we will still buy the best players". If this came to pass, I think that the quality of football would decline over time.

I think that to ensure the longevity of improving football standards and to have an "elite" competition, premier youth must remain mandated for both the 2 upper tiers. If we let the second tier dump premier youth, over time those clubs will not have quality coming through and promotion/relegation will die as those in the second tier will never have the quality to challenge the top tier.
    This is the one actually talking sense.

You want to play in the top tier, make sure you're a top club with a full contingent of teams. A great senior team won't suffer on a club championship because the proposal for senior promotion is just based on 1st grade results. A great senior team may suffer because the club they are part of isn't a great club.

Define a "great club", most of what I have seen a great club is just the one who managers to "poach" the best players
    (The club we started SAP at, only 2 boys (from that u9s) made it to 13s NPL, 2.5 more who joined in u10s, one of whom left for two years after that before joining again for 13s...don't know about the other boys, but is that a great result? They have a great team though, an excellent team in fact, but if just 2 of the 26 from u9s went through to the next level, is that "?great?")

Define a "great club", most of what I have seen a great club is just the one who managers to "poach" the best players
    (The club we started SAP at, only 2 boys (from that u9s) made it to 13s NPL, 2.5 more who joined in u10s, one of whom left for two years after that before joining again for 13s...don't know about the other boys, but is that a great result? They have a great team though, an excellent team in fact, but if just 2 of the 26 from u9s went through to the next level, is that "?great?")
    You used the term great, a great club though would include a full contingent of teams. I'm not talking about results of the youth teams.

Back to the NPL, Valentine with a 90th minute winner over the Bears last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    You used the term great, a great club though would include a full contingent of teams. I'm not talking about results of the youth teams.
    I did say great team, rather then great club that's why I think it should never be linked to club championship

I did say great team, rather then great club that's why I think it should never be linked to club championship
    Well good thing the first grade promotion/relegation proposal isn't linked to a club championship then.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Back to the NPL, Valentine with a 90th minute winner over the Bears last night.
    Good result for Valentine.

What's everyone's predictions for the weekend?

Valentine 3 - 1 Lakes
    Weston 2 - 0 NL
    Rosebuds 1 - 2 Edgeworth
    Lambton 1 - 1 Cooks Hill
    Olympic 2 - 3 Maitland
    Magic 1 - 2 Azzurri

[QUOTE=Devon Sangas;267382]

Valentine 2 - 0 Lakes
    Weston 1 - 1 NL
    Rosebuds 1 - 3 Edgeworth
    Lambton 3 - 1 Cooks Hill
    Olympic 1 - 4 Maitland
    Magic 1 - 3 Azzurri

Valentine failed to advance to next round of National Second Division. Not a great thing for local footballers wanting to advance themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    Valentine failed to advance to next round of National Second Division. Not a great thing for local footballers wanting to advance themselves.
    At least they won?t be bankrupt after 1 season

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    At least they won?t be bankrupt after 1 season
    I thought an overseas venture was funding the club's move.

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    I thought an overseas venture was funding the club's move.
    The Chinese takeaway at Stockton wasnt overseas enough.

Surely this is not a surprise to anyone

Unsure what was more stupid. Valo applying in the first place or a business model that relied on overseas funding that was sourced by your first grade coach and TD.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    Unsure what was more stupid. Valo applying in the first place or a business model that relied on overseas funding that was sourced by your first grade coach and TD.
    Because football clubs are never backed by overseas funding.......
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin