Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NPL Mens

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    It was a great turnout yesterday for the match. Hard to beat NPL football on days like that!
    Great win from the young Magic boys!
    I overheard a former A League player going off at full time yesterday within earshot of a lot of youngsters

Lambton Jaffas will have leading scorer Kale Bradbery free to play in the NPL men's finals after his five-game suspension for match official abuse was sensationally overturned with the support of the referee.

Bradbery, last year's grand final player of the match and sole goalscorer, was sent off for dissent in the 50th minute of the Jaffas' 1-0 final-round win over Newcastle Olympic which secured their second NPL premiership.

Northern NSW Football then hit Bradbery with the suspension, which the Jaffas appealed at a hearing on Wednesday night.

The Newcastle Herald understands Lambton produced statements from players from both teams to support their position about what Bradbery said to the referee.

It differed to the referee's version, but he ultimately backed Jaffas' stance at the hearing that the red card was a mistake.

"The referee supported our position that, upon reflection, the language used by Kale was not sufficiently offensive to warrant a straight red card," the Jaffas said in a statement.

"As a result the disciplinary committee upheld our appeal".

The decision means Bradbery, who scored in the premiership-clincher on August 13, will line-up for Jaffas against Broadmeadow in the major semi-final on Saturday at Edden Oval.

His suspension had included a three-game sanction on top of his automatic one-match ban for the send-off. The three-game set penalty covers "unsporting conduct" and "using offensive language and/or gestures" in NNSWF regulations. An additional game suspension came because it was his second red card of the year. The other was a second yellow, against Broadmeadow in round five, for dissent against the same referee.

Bradbery denied he swore before the most recent red card. He had reacted after his appeals for what seemed an obvious free kick for being held back were ignored.

Swearing was part of the referee's report and the charge was use of offensive language. However, the Herald understands the referee at the hearing believed the incident did not breach the threshold of offensive and he supported the overturning call.

Wednesday night's successful appeal, which cost Jaffas $1000 to lodge, is a major boost to the club's push for a first title double.

They had already lost defender Josh Piddington to suspension after he was sent off in the 14th minute of the win over Olympic for a dangerous challenge. The Bradbery send off left Jaffas with nine players on the pitch, although Olympic's Dylan Burston was also given a straight red a few minutes later.

Piddington, like Burston, was given a three-game ban.

Jaffas regain defensive utility Pat Bond from a two-game ban, but attacker Sakeel Balfour Brown is set to miss the grand final qualifier. He was also due to return from suspension but is overseas on a family matter.

Charlestown host Weston at Lisle Carr Oval on Sunday in the minor semi-final.

Surprised the other suspension is only 3 games TBH...seems very light for what he did

So support for refs at judiciary is out the window, what a shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    So support for refs at judiciary is out the window, what a shambles.
    Sounds like the ref put his hand up and said he got it wrong, hardly a shambles, credit to him

Finals predictions

Jaffas 1 - 2 Magic
    Azzurri 2 - 2 Weston (Azzurri on pens)

Jaffas too good on the day. Same with Azzurri today. Weston were a little underwhelming from what I had seen from them this year. Big game Magic v Azzurri next weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Devon Sangas View Post
    Jaffas too good on the day. Same with Azzurri today. Weston were a little underwhelming from what I had seen from them this year. Big game Magic v Azzurri next weekend
    Magic need to bolster squad next year, desperately need an experienced holding midfielder.

What a long finals series!!!

Top 4, H/A semis and a 1 off GF...would make things a lot more stream lined

Agreed, or just the classic major/minor semi format.

[QUOTE=Alton;269390]Magic need to bolster squad next year, desperately need an experienced holding midfielder.[/

Rumour has it they have a former international (Maso player) on the radar.

Contradicting herald article yesterday, 2 days ago the herald reported the young Magic keeper was being mentored by Ben McNamara, in yesterdays herald the keeper himself credits Clint Gosling for his good form. Someone is telling porkies.

Has NNSW given any real reason why they have switched to a night GF this year and changed the format yet again to only mens 1st and reserves?I'll never understand why they changed it from a day grand final with 3 grades.The mix of supporters from all clubs as well as loads of youth players supporting the seniors made those days unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Has NNSW given any real reason why they have switched to a night GF this year and changed the format yet again to only mens 1st and reserves?I'll never understand why they changed it from a day grand final with 3 grades.The mix of supporters from all clubs as well as loads of youth players supporting the seniors made those days unreal.
    Two grades are simple, the 18s are part of the PYL and not NPL, the PYL season hasn't even finished yet.

Don't see any reason why youth players (even down to the club's U9 players) can't come to the grand final.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Two grades are simple, the 18s are part of the PYL and not NPL, the PYL season hasn't even finished yet.

Don't see any reason why youth players (even down to the club's U9 players) can't come to the grand final.
    I was meaning adding womens to the day like last year,im aware of the 18s being part of youth.Dragging kids home from Edgy close to 9pm doesnt sound like fun.And before anyone jumps in I understand plenty of people come from Edgy to GF's in the city thats why the kickoff time was my issue and not the location.For the work Edgy has done to their ground plus their success over the last few years Im glad they are getting the GF there.The whole structure of the GF has changed quite often over the last few years thats why I was wondering if there was any reason for now changing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    I was meaning adding womens to the day like last year,im aware of the 18s being part of youth.Dragging kids home from Edgy close to 9pm doesnt sound like fun.And before anyone jumps in I understand plenty of people come from Edgy to GF's in the city thats why the kickoff time was my issue and not the location.For the work Edgy has done to their ground plus their success over the last few years Im glad they are getting the GF there.The whole structure of the GF has changed quite often over the last few years thats why I was wondering if there was any reason for now changing it again.
    Maybe it is because the PYL hasn't finished and will be playing on that day. They decided put the GF on at night to allow those players to go and watch or maybe some 18's could be required on the bench after their game.

Agree the grand final days of yesteryear were a great time.

I generally feel gamedays were better with 18s, reserve and first grade. Usually a healthy crowd builds over the day.
    Ditto for the grand final. Sunny Sunday at Magic Park, some great memories. The lesser grades celebrating or drowning their sorrows.

Plenty of people on here complained about grand finals for the "lesser" grades being held at NPL grounds. Seems Northern can't make everyone happy

Who wants to go out to Edgeworth to watch grand finals? They've made it a night game which takes the family friendliness out of it.
    So now it's a night time slot on a Saturday, perfect to enjoy some beers right? But wait, lets take it where it's really hard for the majority of people to get to without driving..
    It's football, not s***er!!

Personally I think the first team to qualify (i.e. who wins Semi Final-1) should always get first right to host if they are able to. This year that would mean Arthur Edden