Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Northern League One

Quote Originally Posted by samcan View Post
    So senior Newfm clubs aren't required to have npl youth next year?
    Only if they don't want to get promoted.

I disagree with the 2024 relegation playoff. 4th place shouldnt be having a chance to go up and no finals is a farce.

Id rather have a 3 week semis comp either top 4 or top 6 (formats can be debated) and a straight playoff for 11th npl with 2nd L1 after.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Only if they don't want to get promoted.
    So clubs happy to stay in League 1 can pick and chose what ages to have for youth.
    That could be problematic for the youth comps where teams are varied.

eg so a club with no 13s or 14s means a bye to other club or is the draw different each week for each age? bit like this year i guess

Think i prefer the 3 tier system that currently operates during phase 2

I disagree with the 2024 relegation playoff. 4th place shouldnt be having a chance to go up and no finals is a farce.

Id rather have a 3 week semis comp either top 4 or top 6 (formats can be debated) and a straight playoff for 11th npl with 2nd L1 after.
    If you can beat 11th placed NPL side and 2nd and 3rd you're clearly good enough to go up. If you can't then you stay down

So clubs happy to stay in League 1 can pick and chose what ages to have for youth.
    No like Toronto this year they couldn't have any youth, needed all. Clubs without all teams get a years grace and following year if can't fill all teams they can't have any.

So senior Newfm clubs aren't required to have npl youth next year?
    That is correct

Mixed feels about the youth aspect.
    Part of me thinks those ‘elite’ clubs should be giving back to youth and helping develop the next generation and compulsory youth helps.

The other side of me realises that not all clubs care, nor do all clubs do youth development well. So maybe it should be left to clubs that want to, and see it as an investment in their future. I just wonder what happens when more clubs think it’s not worth the time and effort for minimal short term reward. Do we see a mass exodus of clubs when they don’t ‘need’ to?

Maybe it needs to be opened up to any club that can meet the requirements. Eg Warners Bay or Swansea or Garden Suburbs as random suggestions. Can they formulate a youth program and enter at the lowest level and compete?

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Maybe it needs to be opened up to any club that can meet the requirements. Eg Warners Bay or Swansea or Garden Suburbs as random suggestions. Can they formulate a youth program and enter at the lowest level and compete?
    Now we all have promotion and relegation and youth and seniors are decoupled Zone league sides probably could enter one, they just need to set up the 5 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    There are currently 2 spare spots in the YPL structure.I would assume NNSW would be more than accommodating if a club wanted to enter their teams.To be honest a good community level club wouldnt be far behind being competitive in the 3rd tier anyway.From there its a matter of success equals promotion.Theres a few clubs with good junior numbers who would get up to speed fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    There are currently 2 spare spots in the YPL structure.I would assume NNSW would be more than accommodating if a club wanted to enter their teams.To be honest a good community level club wouldnt be far behind being competitive in the 3rd tier anyway.From there its a matter of success equals promotion.Theres a few clubs with good junior numbers who would get up to speed fairly quickly.
    Charlestown Juniors used to be one that would've fitted right in, but some changes at the top there and the drive to have a competitve A grade team in every comp has seen that slide.

Not sure what other clubs would have 5 teams that would be close to the third tier, Medowie maybe. Certainly community clubs with a few good teams in a one or two ages while others have good numbers those teams struggle in the lower grades never mind making a step up and having had to watch PYL (though top tier) and C grade all year there is a massive difference.

How about a Newcastle community Rep club. Theres a large pool of Kids that could be selected of the zone clubs. There was a 12s squad this year.

They could start with 1 or 2 age groups to begin with. Would compete with div 3 teams and doesnt need any 1 club putting in all effort.

My view is that to be in NPL or NL1 (seniors) which is supposed to be the local elite comp, you must have a junior structure to support the continuation of those competitions. If not, then ZPL (or NL2 as it will be known) is as high as you can go. I think it is a bit rich for a club with no junior base to sit in the premier comps and expect other clubs to produce the next generation for them. Running a junior system is a significant investment in time and money. If individuals have the ambition of running a club and making their way to NPL in seniors, do it at a club with the youth structure in place like, say Mayfield or Kotara
    In PYL, all NPL clubs and NL1 clubs must be represented. If not, immediate demotion to NL1 where you get a season's grace before demotion to ZPL. Where shortfalls exist, invite community clubs to apply/participate, or as Eastwest suggested, a community based rep team could be raised.

@sapdad. Grouping all teams in tier 3 as being little better than community is really unfair in a club championship situation. In the case of the club where I coach, one team at the bottom of the table made tier 3 inevitable for all of the club's teams. Some of those teams would challenge lower tier one and all tier two teams.
    Last edited by Hunter403; 01-09-2023 at 03:10 PM.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Harsh to blame the one team. None of your teams finished in the top 2 and only two finished in the top 4, even if that team finished the average of your other teams (4th or 5th) you still wouldn't have gone into tier 2. Though I do agree that there aren't just a little better than community
    Last edited by Taffy; 01-09-2023 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    @sapdad. Grouping all teams in tier 3 as being little better than community is really unfair in a club championship situation. In the case of the club where I coach, one team at the bottom of the table made tier 3 inevitable for all of the club's teams. Some of those teams would challenge lower tier one and all tier two teams.
    Fair point,and Im not here to sledge any teams/clubs.I guess the point I was trying to make was that now with the new system,any new clubs wont be lumped in with teams that are vastly superior.It should give new clubs the chance to find their feet and be competitive without copping the results that may drive kids away in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    My view is that to be in NPL or NL1 (seniors) which is supposed to be the local elite comp, you must have a junior structure to support the continuation of those competitions. If not, then ZPL (or NL2 as it will be known) is as high as you can go. I think it is a bit rich for a club with no junior base to sit in the premier comps and expect other clubs to produce the next generation for them. Running a junior system is a significant investment in time and money. If individuals have the ambition of running a club and making their way to NPL in seniors, do it at a club with the youth structure in place like, say Mayfield or Kotara.
    I can see both sides of this argument but agree moreso with your side here.It would also probably work in reverse where if senior teams were being denied promotion due to lack of juniors, then players would be more inclined to leave to chase opportunities at higher levels so the incentive should be there to have strong seniors and juniors.After witnessing the last few years it does annoy me that some clubs just invest more in recruiting than developing and if every club did that then who takes responsibility for improving the kids in the first place?If somehow clubs are rewarded for bringing their own players from youth to seniors then that would also help the comp overall.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    I can see both sides of this argument but agree moreso with your side here.It would also probably work in reverse where if senior teams were being denied promotion due to lack of juniors, then players would be more inclined to leave to chase opportunities at higher levels so the incentive should be there to have strong seniors and juniors.After witnessing the last few years it does annoy me that some clubs just invest more in recruiting than developing and if every club did that then who takes responsibility for improving the kids in the first place?If somehow clubs are rewarded for bringing their own players from youth to seniors then that would also help the comp overall.
    Maybe juniors could have rego subsidy if staying at same npl youth. 20% for 2nd yr, 33% for 3rd yr and on. NNSW have $$ coming out of their ***

On the other hand if I knew id be in same bottom 3 team every year id leave too.

Not blaming one team. The point I was trying to make is that if you have one team at the bottom of the table, then it's likely that it will be tier 3 for the rest.
    On another note..
    This year the club championship in div 2 was decided with weeks to spare and the last few rounds were little more than trial games. It was a good chance to try a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldy View Post
    Maybe juniors could have rego subsidy if staying at same npl youth. 20% for 2nd yr, 33% for 3rd yr and on. NNSW have $$ coming out of their ***

On the other hand if I knew id be in same bottom 3 team every year id leave too.
    You supposedly get reduction in points in the PPS the more kids you have had come through your system. Though since the PPS is so large it doesn't really promote it

Anyone knows of any coaching movement for next year?
    Read on the Northern's game review that Thornton is bringing back the same coaches who were in charge in the last 4 years. I thought the poor bloke who took over from round 13 was doing ok. They were winning some games, and became competitive. It makes no sense.

I heard the same, probably politics but why bring back a coach that left halfway through? Rather keep the coach that got you 1.2 points a game over the coach that only got you .75 points a game

Westy 2 singo 2 ( westy 3-2 in extra time )
    Kahibah 3 southy 0