Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Northern League One

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    I was told by club officials that you were booted.
    Correct

The official draw for 2023 is supposed to be released on Monday. Will the ‘changing of the guard’ at Northern delay this? Will they give clubs like Toronto and Singleton more time/support to help them finalise teams? All will be revealed very soon. Hip hip … hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Carl View Post
    The official draw for 2023 is supposed to be released on Monday. Will the ‘changing of the guard’ at Northern delay this? Will they give clubs like Toronto and Singleton more time/support to help them finalise teams? All will be revealed very soon. Hip hip … hooray!
    The organisation doesn’t stop working because the board changes or the ceo resigns. Just like every single other business on the planet.

Npl draw was supposed to be released 9 days ago and still hasn't been sent out

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    The organisation doesn’t stop working because the board changes or the ceo resigns. Just like every single other business on the planet.
    Northerns competition administrator and some others also left though.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Northerns competition administrator and some others also left though.
    which is no different than anyone else who leaves a job? if the draw wasn't finalised enough to be sent out when it was supposed to 9 days ago, someone wasn't doing their job anyway.

Unfortunately the youth licence of Toronto Awaba was revoked today. Along with Wallsend being removed, that takes the number of youth clubs in NL1 down to 8.

Unfortunately the youth licence of Toronto Awaba was revoked today. Along with Wallsend being removed, that takes the number of youth clubs in NL1 down to 8.
    Clubs should be removed entirely also

Well, that will make a huge mess of their proposed group system.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Clubs should be removed entirely also
    Think this needs to be addressed moving forward.
    Will it be a condition of holding a NPL license?

In an ideal world, players could start in JDL and progress to youth and NPL at a single club.
    This may not be suitable and viable for all clubs though. Like Toronto seemingly cannot find players. Is this the clubs fault? Or is it a reflection of the demographic in the area? Most would be off to Edgy or lakes… maybe there just aren’t that many footballers in that area. Should a senior club be punished for not being able to source quality, interested kids? The answer to than kind of dictates where we go to moving forward.

With the proposed decoupling of youth, it’s probably less vital.
    But we then run the risk of clubs not fielding teams and ending up with an average competition.

I’d love to see any club be able to enter into JDL or Youth (starting at the bottom) provided they meet some basic criteria.
    Let parents and kids decide what they want to do. Do you want to play for a club who has JDL, youth and NPL license. Or do you want to play JDL for a local club, see if kid enjoys it, then worry about youth later etc.

Clubs will realise that it is more viable to have the pathway in place.
    In another thread, people whinging clubs have a monopoly on quality. Seems to me the clubs have developed a reputation and there’s a demand to play for certain clubs, based on their success and hard work in developing their pathways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    It currently is Northern has said that in order to be in NPL you must have all youth.

If the new board keeps that rule by bringing in Promotion and Relegation in 2024 is yet to be seen

In an ideal world, players could start in JDL and progress to youth and NPL at a single club.
    This may not be suitable and viable for all clubs though. Like Toronto seemingly cannot find players. Is this the clubs fault? Or is it a reflection of the demographic in the area? Most would be off to Edgy or lakes… maybe there just aren’t that many footballers in that area. Should a senior club be punished for not being able to source quality, interested kids? The answer to than kind of dictates where we go to moving forward.

But we then run the risk of clubs not fielding teams and ending up with an average competition.

I’d love to see any club be able to enter into JDL or Youth (starting at the bottom) provided they meet some basic criteria.
    Let parents and kids decide what they want to do. Do you want to play for a club who has JDL, youth and NPL license. Or do you want to play JDL for a local club, see if kid enjoys it, then worry about youth later etc.

In another thread, people whinging clubs have a monopoly on quality. Seems to me the clubs have developed a reputation and there’s a demand to play for certain clubs, based on their success and hard work in developing their pathways.
    I'd like to see JDL a requirement of every club in the NPL/NL1 with sufficient players going through it to populate the under 13 squad in the PYL. If that means two JDL teams per club, then so be it. If clubs want to come up from ZPL, then that is the criteria they have to meet. In that way, the top two tier clubs regenerate from (mainly) within. Limit JDL to premier clubs only so community clubs still get a good number of kids.

Additionally, the top two tier clubs should also be required to have pre JDL structures (u6 etc). There are community clubs that generate these age groups then lose kids to the premier clubs as soon as JDL begins, and it breeds resentment that the premier clubs aren't doing their bit.

I'd like to see PYL squads limited to 14 players. If you are short, play younger kids up. Maximise game time and help spread the talent.

Lastly, I'd like to see regulation that prohibits PYL clubs from getting rid of substantial numbers of kids from an underperforming team, but I don't know how it would be enforced. If you thought the kid was good enough, develop him. Too many times over the last few years there have been clubs that dumped half a squad or more because the team was unsuccessful. Some kids develop faster/earlier than others. Do the hard work. It is a development league.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    I'd like to see JDL a requirement of every club in the NPL/NL1 with sufficient players going through it to populate the under 13 squad in the PYL. If that means two JDL teams per club, then so be it. If clubs want to come up from ZPL, then that is the criteria they have to meet. In that way, the top two tier clubs regenerate from (mainly) within. Limit JDL to premier clubs only so community clubs still get a good number of kids.

Additionally, the top two tier clubs should also be required to have pre JDL structures (u6 etc). There are community clubs that generate these age groups then lose kids to the premier clubs as soon as JDL begins, and it breeds resentment that the premier clubs aren't doing their bit.

I'd like to see PYL squads limited to 14 players. If you are short, play younger kids up. Maximise game time and help spread the talent.

Lastly, I'd like to see regulation that prohibits PYL clubs from getting rid of substantial numbers of kids from an underperforming team, but I don't know how it would be enforced. If you thought the kid was good enough, develop him. Too many times over the last few years there have been clubs that dumped half a squad or more because the team was unsuccessful. Some kids develop faster/earlier than others. Do the hard work. It is a development league.
    Why limit JDL just to NPL/NL1 clubs? JDL is development league, and any club should be able to have JDL squads if they choose.
    JDL kids pay for the senior players, that's the only reason these clubs are trying to keep the status quo. It brings in huge dollars that they don't have to fundraise for.

1 team per club with promotion/relegation will encourage clubs to develop our kids. Kids will always move from club to club as Mums and Dads have high aspirations and low reality to their kid's ability.
    I agree with your comment of limiting squads to 14 players and drawing from the lower age, if the kid is good enough they are old enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Right now only Premier clubs can have JDL teams. To have all require 2 teams per age group will actually take more kids away from community clubs

Won't the community clubs be resentful that they now don't have as many U6 U7 and U8 teams?

Would be difficult to enforce club can say that some kids left on their own. Though it is poor for a club to get rid of whole squads, they need to look at themselves and their coaches as to why an over half a squad isn't good enough

Quote Originally Posted by travellingman View Post
    Why limit JDL just to NPL/NL1 clubs? JDL is development league, and any club should be able to have JDL squads if they choose.
    JDL kids pay for the senior players, that's the only reason these clubs are trying to keep the status quo. It brings in huge dollars that they don't have to fundraise for.
    JDL is expensive even without skimming the top. JDL requires a lot of qualified coaches (that we don't have). Some clubs use the JDL as a cash cow for senior players (the one I am at doesn't because the senior players don't get paid) and some run them at cost. Too many JDL clubs dilutes the talent and to improve you not only need the best coaches, you need the best players competing against each other each week.

Right now only Premier clubs can have JDL teams. To have all require 2 teams per age group will actually take more kids away from community clubs

Won't the community clubs be resentful that they now don't have as many U6 U7 and U8 teams?

Would be difficult to enforce club can say that some kids left on their own. Though it is poor for a club to get rid of whole squads, they need to look at themselves and their coaches as to why an over half a squad isn't good enough

One team or two...enough to populate their 13s squad. Say 14 kids.

I think the community clubs will be less resentful if they didn't have the kids in the first place. Less likely to miss what you never had

It would be bloody hard to enforce and I don't have a solution. Might also stop some clubs trying to pick the best of other club's kids and entice them over if they know they can't drop more than 2 or 3 of their own.

Demographics is the reason for Torontos demise? In a corridor that stretches from the North end of the Central Coast down into Westlakes and the Glendale corridor to Edgeworth and Northlakes? Shared by Toronto, Lakes, Edgey and Westy. Population mega suburbs. Compared to a 8km radius of inner suburban Clubs where Buds, Olympic, Jaffas, New Lambton, Magic, Kahibah, Azzurri and Cooks Hill all share Premier ideals. Toronto have been poorly managed. Wallsend also. Both clubs should be thriving. A two division NPL1 and 2 of 8 teams in each with promotion and relegation is about to be tabled. The strong survive. The rest play Interdistrict.

Its already screwed. Some clubs have 1 or 2 age 6-8yo teams. Other clubs a suburb over have 8 to 10 teams for each age.
    Then we wonder why we cant find a decent draw or equal teams to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newysports2.0 View Post
    The name is obviously a pisstake if you can’t tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    the pisstake is on, who would call themselves after a pedo.....

Can community clubs enter the JDL system?
    Why canÂ’t a club like Tenambit have JDL teams under the Maitland TD and coaches for direction. The community clubs donÂ’t have the cost of a TD or what ever license coaches they get that information from the sponsor NPL club.
    NPL clubs could have one or two community clubs under them. That would keep costs down for community kids more kids playing getting an opportunity. Then NPL clubs would have more kids to look at with out the cost.
    ItÂ’s a win win
    Community clubs keep their players and can play JDL at a lower cost and NPL clubs have more kids being locked at by the TD.

Think you answered your own question here with the 'lower cost' part down the bottom.
    These clubs have first grade players to pay mate. 😂