Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: New Ownership 2023

Well if Shane is around we better not discuss anything off the field as it may distract and disrespect the players

I reckon the prospective buyers have failed to read the room on this potential appt.

New owners have limited to no money for recruits so are relying on youth. Lets see how this turns out.

Scout the best youth in the land coupled with home grown

Quote Originally Posted by finzee View Post
    New owners have limited to no money for recruits so are relying on youth. Lets see how this turns out.

Scout the best youth in the land coupled with home grown

There’s absolutely no reason we can’t be doing better than CCM.

It’s a sorry state of affairs that we are looking to emulate their approach, but it seems the way forward for clubs not bankrolled with owners happy to donate money to average footballers.

WSW will interesting to watch over the next 5 years if they can convert their youth program success into first grade footballers and beyond. Their facilities, catchment and results to this point are impressive.

CCM have a good track record recently of hiring decent coaches and getting results from their squads with seemingly unknown players, a lot of whom are local.

Again, there’s no reason we can’t replicate this. If our new overlords prefer to tip their money into facilities and youth systems, and invest in the long term, I don’t have a problem with that, so long as it’s transparent and we can monitor the progress.

The comments coming out so far sound a bit miserable though and seem very focussed on “we’re buying, but don’t expect us to be putting together a competitive team” instead of some positively spun “we are committed to developing youth football in the region and establishing solid foundations to build this club into a nursery of future a league players”. I know it’s all PR rubbish at the end of the day, but it hasn’t really instilled me with much hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    There?s absolutely no reason we can?t be doing better than CCM.

It?s a sorry state of affairs that we are looking to emulate their approach, but it seems the way forward for clubs not bankrolled with owners happy to donate money to average footballers.

WSW will interesting to watch over the next 5 years if they can convert their youth program success into first grade footballers and beyond. Their facilities, catchment and results to this point are impressive.

CCM have a good track record recently of hiring decent coaches and getting results from their squads with seemingly unknown players, a lot of whom are local.

Again, there?s no reason we can?t replicate this. If our new overlords prefer to tip their money into facilities and youth systems, and invest in the long term, I don?t have a problem with that, so long as it?s transparent and we can monitor the progress.

The comments coming out so far sound a bit miserable though and seem very focussed on ?we?re buying, but don?t expect us to be putting together a competitive team? instead of some positively spun ?we are committed to developing youth football in the region and establishing solid foundations to build this club into a nursery of future a league players?. I know it?s all PR rubbish at the end of the day, but it hasn?t really instilled me with much hope.
    Our situation is nothing like that of CCM. We don't have any of their infrastructure, and they don't have to compete for resources (fans, admin, players, sponsors...you name it] with the Knights like the Jets do.
    The Jets don't have anything to attract players other than those not wanted elsewhere, and anyone they can develop or find from obscurity will soon enough be poached away - because all other pastures are greener - even CCM.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 03-05-2024 at 03:19 PM.

Ah for the old days...

Capture4.jpg

Remember Sesame Street?

"One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong....."
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 03-05-2024 at 05:28 PM.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Good pic JM, not the best team in the world but had 10,000 members, F Troop may have a hissy fit over that photo
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

And we had Becks playing at Maccas, heady days
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Our situation is nothing like that of CCM. We don't have any of their infrastructure, and they don't have to compete for resources (fans, admin, players, sponsors...you name it] with the Knights like the Jets do.
    The Jets don't have anything to attract players other than those not wanted elsewhere, and anyone they can develop or find from obscurity will soon enough be poached away - because all other pastures are greener - even CCM.
    Guess we shouldn’t bother then.

I’ll give you sponsors. Sponsors are more likely to wish to sponsor the Knights than the Jets.
    But I think everything else is a cop out and can be rectified with stability and improved relationship with the community.
    I doubt we are competing for players. Doesn’t NNSW have some of the highest rates of participation for football in Aus?
    We had 10,000+ members when things weren’t a shit show.

End of the day if perspective buyer come through we live to fight another day
    Baggers be careful what you wish for because it may just happen one day…
    Be great full if we get something and support what we have ffs

I fully support the "development" model.
    It's the only way to make a medium/small club like the Jets sustainable long term - a transfer fee system would make it even better.

At this stage it should be obvious to everyone that the "rich guy" model doesn't work over here. Been there a few times.

Say what you want about the scum, but they are showing that developing players or discovering them can pay off in the A-league: I mean, they nearly won the whole thing last year and nearly got the premiership plate a few days ago.
    (Thank god they didn't actually win anything...)

If we can build on the Taylor, Stynes, Timmins, Wilmering etc, I'm all for it.

And there are plenty of kids playing football in the area, I don't see NRL as a competitor.

Just get rid of Ingham, please.

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    I fully support the "development" model.
    It's the only way to make a medium/small club like the Jets sustainable long term - a transfer fee system would make it even better.

At this stage it should be obvious to everyone that the "rich guy" model doesn't work over here. Been there a few times.

Say what you want about the scum, but they are showing that developing players or discovering them can pay off in the A-league: I mean, they nearly won the whole thing last year and nearly got the premiership plate a few days ago.
    (Thank god they didn't actually win anything...)

If we can build on the Taylor, Stynes, Timmins, Wilmering etc, I'm all for it.

And there are plenty of kids playing football in the area, I don't see NRL as a competitor.

Just get rid of Ingham, please.
    If there is a transparent, funded, five year, business plan, with KPIs that shows that, then great. You won't convince the FB crowd who will want us to sign Jamie McLaren et al tomorrow and win the premiership next week. But those of us with football nous will accept the former. Scum, Wanderers and the Surfs are bringing through young players.

Re Ingham - I was listening to a podcast yesterday from the UK where Carl Jenkinson was being talked about in glowing terms about his time with West Ham. Payet would feed him, and Jenko more often than not would hit a pinpoint cross from anywhere on the right to find someone running on to it. Conceding age, but how does Ingham find himself in front of a PL right back, and Hoff who was a major part of the 2018 successes in that position?
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    If there is a transparent, funded, five year, business plan, with KPIs that shows that, then great. You won't convince the FB crowd who will want us to sign Jamie McLaren et al tomorrow and win the premiership next week. But those of us with football nous will accept the former. Scum, Wanderers and the Surfs are bringing through young players.

Re Ingham - I was listening to a podcast yesterday from the UK where Carl Jenkinson was being talked about in glowing terms about his time with West Ham. Payet would feed him, and Jenko more often than not would hit a pinpoint cross from anywhere on the right to find someone running on to it. Conceding age, but how does Ingham find himself in front of a PL right back, and Hoff who was a major part of the 2018 successes in that position?
    Jenkinson has had one full, really good season at West Ham, and then 2 other decent to good seasons in his career, ever since he got injured at West Ham he's been terrible and gets worse every year.

He got his dream move early on in his career, and had a pretty decent career in total given his ability, so hats off to him, but he needs to find something other than playing football if he wants to get paid next season. Not sure if he's management material, but he might have enough experience to assist someone at a lower level of management, could probably make a half decent living that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post

Liking how the new owners will operate the club does not give you football nous I?m afraid.

An hour ago in Herald
    Price agreed, paper work completed as Jets sale , nears conclusion

So pleased to have Con back.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    An hour ago in Herald
    Price agreed, paper work completed as Jets sale , nears conclusion
    Even if these people aren’t willing to shell out huge amounts of cash, it’ll just be nice to know we aren’t in control of other clubs and to have this whole chapter of our clubs history officially finished.

I noticed this version of the herald article still includes that they want to keep on key people like Stanton, but omitted Shane who was previously included. May be nothing but my hope is that something has changed and it means he’s on the outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Even if these people aren’t willing to shell out huge amounts of cash, it’ll just be nice to know we aren’t in control of other clubs and to have this whole chapter of our clubs history officially finished.

I noticed this version of the herald article still includes that they want to keep on key people like Stanton, but omitted Shane who was previously included. May be nothing but my hope is that something has changed and it means he’s on the outs.
    Perhaps there has been a realization that if they wish to sell the concept of a part form of community ownership it will take an individual who has demonstrated the ability to engage and communicate with those you wish to include. Just say'n.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Perhaps there has been a realization that if they wish to sell the concept of a part form of community ownership it will take an individual who has demonstrated the ability to engage and communicate with those you wish to include. Just say'n.
    Is there a local with good community respect that could take in Shane?s role

I personally cannot wait till they stick with the gold for the home jersey just to annoy My2BobsWorth.