Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ownership 2023

I hope we are spared the hackneyed - "if Newcastle wants an A-League team they need to vote with their feet and get out to the games".

We've responded umpteen times in the last 45 years and proven ourselves time and time again.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    I hope we are spared the hackneyed - "if Newcastle wants an A-League team they need to vote with their feet and get out to the games".

We've responded umpteen times in the last 45 years and proven ourselves time and time again.
    Agree.

I think it’s insulting to propose that the community don’t care about the club.

People are growing increasingly disillusioned by the current state of the club. There’s little/no hope on the horizon in our current situation that we can achieve anything. There’s no way Sydney, Melbourne, WSW etc would accept this and still turn up/not protest.

At least we are getting to the bottom of why we seem unsellable.

agree too
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

They won't look at previous years they will look at now. And if you look right now our crowds are an all time low and an outsider will only assume Newcastle no longer cares about the Jets will tbf has been kinda true for the past 10 years unless we're on a winning streak

We dead yet?

Also, why hasn't Shane come out and reminded the APL, FC32 and the media that all this speculation is disrespectful to the players?

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post

Also, why hasn't Shane come out and reminded the APL, FC32 and the media that all this speculation is disrespectful to the players?

My vote for post of the year. Where the bloody hell are ya Shane ?

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    We dead yet?

I would suspect the club are considering how they respond at this moment.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Ray Gatt reckons the license is going to the goal coast, he?s usually not far off the money Ray

This has certainly lit a fire under the whole issue.

Hopefully we aren?t hearing a peep from the club, KordaMentha or the buyer as they are currently bunkered down getting the deal done.

The optimist in me hopes that all this talk of folding and relocation is just smoke and mirrors from the APL to hasten the process. Ultimately we?re an established club with 8,000 members (over 10,000 not that long ago) in a large market and with an academy program up and running. Surely even the APL can?t be dumb enough to let that go.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Hopefully we aren?t hearing a peep from the club, KordaMentha or the buyer as they are currently bunkered down getting the deal done.

The optimist in me hopes that all this talk of folding and relocation is just smoke and mirrors from the APL to hasten the process. Ultimately we?re an established club with 8,000 members (over 10,000 not that long ago) in a large market and with an academy program up and running. Surely even the APL can?t be dumb enough to let that go.
    Don't be so sure. These are the guys that spent squillions on some kid to do Keepup marketing campaign and then went "Oh we didn't actually ask anyone about a fair and reasonable price for this service so let's throw it out"

The APL and there mismanagement are so a busted ass broke they will sell a license to anybody at this point to get some revenue in the door and our current owners some sort of a return on what they have tipped in here.

Would not surprise in the slightest if they can't get a deal over the line for the Jets they will take money for one somewhere else. Weren't talks advanced at one stage just a few years ago for another crack at the Gold Coast market ?

Folks on reddit saying it's better to exist in our current state of mediocrity than not exist. Like staying married in case you get a half hearted handjob on your birthday once a year

The sad thing is Australian football has blown the big chances created in 2005/2006. New league, massive success of the Socceroos, good management and popularity. Socceroos sold out constantly and were Australia's favourite sports team. The league took off and it was hailed as the new dawn.

We are back to square one. Les and Johnny would be turning in their graves.

Are any groups/fans organising a protest, I think it would be valid given the silence from our SHANE

Dear Suckers,
    Given there has been a lot of speculation regarding the club over the last few days, I wanted to provide some insight into the current sale process.

Firstly, it has always been the case that the current owners of the football club are transitionary owners, and they clearly have a focus on passing the Club to a permanent owner for the future. We know that our fans, members, partners, players and staff are all looking forward to the Club being in the hands of a new permanent owner.

In October we commenced a formal sale process with the support of our advisors, Korda Mentha.

Whilst this process has run longer than planned there remains a strong focus on closing the sale and there are several parties that we are in advanced discussions with.

The process has the support of the Australian Professional Leagues (APL) and Korda Mentha and we are confident this will be completed soon.

In the meantime, it is important that we all remain focused on doing our best to support our Women's and Men's teams as they give their all for this Club in the balance of the ALW and ALM competitions.
    Regards,
    ShaneMattiske
    Executive Chairman
    Newcastle Jets FC
    Thanks Shhhhhhhayne

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Gotta be pretty hard to get motivated to slog it out in training / behind the scenes with this season basically gone, and no assurances that there will be a club/job for you next season.
    If anything, this should motivate the players to give their 120% (especially the young ones): it's their career at stake, if they want to find a new club, they better make an impression now.

Herald update.....

Beau Busch, the co-chief executive of players union Australian Professional Footballers (APF) was stunned by the latest development.

"It is incomprehensible to the players that one of the A-League's foundation clubs could fold under the current club owners, who fought so hard for control of the competition," Busch told the Newcastle Herald on Wednesday.

"As the players' union, we will do everything within our power to ensure the professional game in Newcastle not only survives but thrives."

The Jets are one of eight foundation A-League clubs and their history in the national league extends back to 1979.

They boast A-League men and women's programs, youth teams and are the only club to run academies for boys and girls.

The Jets contested the 2018 grand final in front of a full house at McDonald Jones Stadium, going down 1-0 to Melbourne Victory in controversial circumstances.

"Newcastle and the Hunter region has a long and proud history in Australian football," said APF co-chief executive Kathryn Gill, who was a foundation player for the Jets and is a former Matilda.

"Newcastle and the Hunter region has a long and proud history in Australian football.

"The men's A-League championship win of 2008, grand final appearance in 2018 and the region's consistent ability to produce players such as Cheryl Salisbury, Craig Johnston and Emily van Egmond illustrate its potential and importance.

"The question of a professional club in Newcastle is not 'if' but 'how'."

FC32 are reportedly partially backed by investment group Athletic Ventures with plans to build an extensive club portfolio.

They own Swiss second-tier club AC Bellinzona and have a share in Serie A side Salernitana.

The Newcastle Herald understands that FC32 has agreed on a sale price for the Jets and has plans to take the club forward.

However, the consortium is frustrated by a lack of clarity from the APL.

The main sticking point appears to be the annual financial distribution. Each franchise received $2 million in grants this season, which was cut from $2.3 million.

The APL is yet to confirm what the dispersal will be for the 2024-25 campaign.

Jets coach Rob Stanton remains optimistic that the ownership will be finalised.

"The potential owners want to know what the central financial distribution will be for next season," he said. "That is central to the business."

Stanton, who has been in regular contact with FC32, addressed the playing group on Wednesday

"My message to the players was that we have to focus on playing and what we have been doing," he said. "We need to keep the standards high.

"We can only control what we have been doing.

"At the end of the day, I believe the club will be here."

Stanton has a vision for the club and is desperate to continue the project.

"We should be building from the bottom up and making it sustainable for the future," Stanton said. "The club is the vehicle for developing players and people, and creating opportunities.

"That is what I have tried to do on the lowest of budgets and with the least resources.

"You need to have a flow of young kids coming through all the time. At the moment there are four or five in the next 18 months who should blossom. Then there will be another group come through after that.

"That will build the connection with the community. It mightn't buy you titles straight away, but it will in the future.

"We are trying to bring the vision to life. The potential new owners have a similar vision.

"You won't see results straight away. If you get it right, the club will be young, it will be vibrant, you can sell players, you can generate income and it becomes a really viable asset.

"You want to invest in facilities if possible. Then you have a sustainable product for generations to come.

"That is what we should be trying to do. Don't worry about winning the next title now. Worry about building something that will enable us to win for the next 30 years. develop people and opportunities. That should be the objective. The rest will come."
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

I'm incredibly underwhelmed by the statement issued by the Jets last night. There was nothing there to provide any glimmer of hope - it merely recounted what we already knew. The one thing I have taken away is there's now multiple parties back at the table while I understood FC32 were in a period of exclusivity. That's a step back in my opinion.

There's nothing to reassure fans the club will not cease to exist. No statement beyond the immediate season and instead telling the fans to remain focused on our Men's team, who are out of finals contention and have won once this calendar year, and the women's team who are out-performing expectations and yet are 1 loss away from being out of finals contention too. These same fans who have stuck by a club that's had 1 post-season appearance in 14 years and twice made it beyond the round of 32 in the FFA Cup.

Might as well have been labelled Dear Customer.

Has the APL ever mentioned Community ownership since they took over? The model seems to work well in the UK with a half dozen clubs (AFC Wimbledon, FC Unted, York FC etc). Some of those clubs have buy ins for as little as $10 a month and those fans still get voting rights etc.

We would just need 10,000 Newcastle football tragics all to put in $200 a season to match the 2 million the club gets from the APL and we should be sweet!

*Grasping at straws here