Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ALM 22/23 Perth Glory vs Newcastle United Jets FC - 4/2/23 k/off 1030pm AEDST

Perth have yet to lose at home this season. I'll take a point
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Agree with others - a point on the road, and in Perth nonetheless, is a good result. That's 4 on the trot undefeated which is a place we haven't been since February 2021.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Draws are a killer. You pretend its alright because you didnt lose but still end at near bottom of table.

There's no kudos in multiple draws.

if there was a z-league trophy for keeping the ball in midfield with lots of pretty triangles we'd fkn walk it.

i don't watch much jerksball these days but papas does seem to have a set of players who are reasonably talented at moving the ball around.

are we missing a killer at the pointy end?

defence is another story, mind

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    if there was a z-league trophy for keeping the ball in midfield with lots of pretty triangles we'd fkn walk it.

i don't watch much jerksball these days but papas does seem to have a set of players who are reasonably talented at moving the ball around.

definitely need a top level keeper plus someone else up front with b1

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwest View Post
    Draws are a killer. You pretend its alright because you didnt lose but still end at near bottom of table.

There's no kudos in multiple draws.
    With a starting 11 featuring Hoffman, Ingham, Al-taay, Sotirio and a non-striker up front, any non-loss is a win.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post

It’s less about whose at the point of attack and more about not having the player that delivers that final killer ball in to actually let Beka score. With that player behind him, he was the 2nd highest goal scorer of the season last season.

I think missing Penha has meant that a lot of our attack has slowed down. He made a lot of high risk high reward passes, which meant he had a lot of turnovers too, but when they came off they put our attackers in great positions. I feel anecdotally he made a lot of them from deep as well, which led to a lot of goals/chances that felt more like "counter attacking" style goals. These sorts of goals and chances are what we saw against Brisbane. I think we still have that in our locker to some extent, although noone really takes on as much playmaking responsibility and risk as Penha did.

Where we have struggled is when teams don't try to press us, set up in a low block and ask us to break them down. We have hardly managed to be effective against that at all this season. This is where a bit of x-factor from Boumal, Yuel and Penha gave us chances.

Sotirio and Buhagiar I don't think are strictly worse than our wingers last year, but they aren't taking the same risks and creating the same chances. They probably lack in confidence a bit, and their strength is more running into space off the ball than running at defenders to cause them headaches. Piscopo is starting to create some danger and end product, and him and Beka have some nice interplay which could see them break down tight defences.

I'm hoping the end to the season sees them continue to build, and that the last couple of weeks haven't been a flash in the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    It’s less about whose at the point of attack and more about not having the player that delivers that final killer ball in to actually let Beka score. With that player behind him, he was the 2nd highest goal scorer of the season last season.
    I agree, but Beka scored 5 penalties last season, and he was rarely at the end of Penha's assists.
    Thurgate was much better at reading Penha's passing and get in the right positions.
    Nothing against Beka, he's a terrific player, he's just in the wrong role imo.