Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: 2023/24 Newcastle Jets Men's Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Langerak has announced he wants to return to the A League. If any clubs needs him, it is the jets
    This should be priority number 1 at the club

The Jets can't attract anyone remotely like him. Need a new owner first.

I mean if you think about it, he'd have a lot of opportunities to show how good he is/isn't. He'll be the busiest keeper in the league behind a garbage defence.

Few good games and he'll be at Sydney

I actually think our defence has been pretty decent - when Hoffman isn't at centre back.
    They just spend a lot more time getting tested than other teams because we can't hold onto the ball for more than 15 seconds.

Any word on what happened to Carl Jenkinson? Dragged at half time against Victory and not in any squads since.

Given he would be IMO one of our highest earners and not performing consistently enough it would not surprise me in the slightest if he is being frozen out in hope of moving him on next Jan and allocating those $$$$ somewhere else to strengthen the squad.

Rumour Sydney are in talks with Natta.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Seen that David Lewis thing yesterday and just shook my head. Given it is currently one of our bill paying clubs we were probably given the hint not too make any attempts to extend his current deal here.

Problem of players going will keep occurring until the jets are sold. Maybe then the jets can be more proactive in giving longer deals to players.

We are just a club hore for the clubs that own us and others with a spare 100 bucks. Enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Newysports2.0 View Post
    The name is obviously a pisstake if you can’t tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    the pisstake is on, who would call themselves after a pedo.....

Hrustic is looking for a club, how about we announce ownership today and he is our first signing

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Hrustic is looking for a club, how about we announce ownership today and he is our first signing
    He is 27, too old for the jets under Stanton.....

Not to mention that interest is also being shown in Mauragis, Taylor and Cancar as well
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Not to mention that interest is also being shown in Mauragis, Taylor and Cancar as well
    I’m assuming these clubs will ramp up their discussions while we are finalising ownership details. And until that’s sorted, I find it difficult to resent any of the players for seeking some security.

Once the ownership is sorted, we can hopefully be competitive with our offers and have some long term plan - which may include offloading these players to make way for some superstars.

I've been thinking about Reno Piscopo since his latest injury. He's int he 2nd season of his 2 year deal so no doubt questions will start to be raised about whether we re-sign him (or at least try to) or simply let him go.

On his day, he can produce some magic...problem is consistency of those days seem to be few and far between. I've reviewed his time with us and pulled the following bit of data.

Since signing with us on 21/6/2022 ahead of the 2022/23 season, Piscopo has made 23 appearances of which 22 have been in the league and 1 in the FFA Cup. The Men's team have had 40 competitive fixtures since then. He has been available for 57.5% of competitive fixtures - a number that will continue to reduce as he is currently sidelined with an injury. The most matches he's strung together in a row during this time is 7.

But simply looking at appearances only gives you a limited insight, as 1 minute cameo counts as an appearance (That's 18 starts (of which he was subbed off 16 times, or 89% of the time) and 5 appearances off the bench) - so I worked out the competitive minutes the club have played since he signed.

The club have played 39 matched that went through to 90 minutes and 1 that went to extra time (this year's qualifier in Darwin). That's a total of 3630 competitive minutes. Reno has been on the pitch for 1422 of those - a total of 39%.

But what about what he does while he's on the field? In that time he's contributed 1 goal and 4 assists - a number so low that even I was surprised. So his goal contribution per minute played is therefore one every 284 minutes.

How does that compare to someone who signed at the same time as him and in the same position - say Trent Buhagiar.

We signed Trent 3 days after announcing Piscopo, so they've been around for the same amount of games (i.e. 40). Trent has appeared in 39 of these, with 27 starts (subbed off 19 times, or 70% of the time) and has come off the bench 12 times. His playing time of 2454 minutes is 67% of total minutes played.

But in that time he's made 18 goal contributions (scored 10 goals and assisted 8), which is one every 136 minutes. So he's contributing to a Jets goal at double the rate of Piscopo.

It would be interesting to see how both players contribute off the ball as well, but from the eye test neither seem to - but that could be instructions from the coach. Even if we think about why we brought Piscopo in, it was to replace the absence we'd felt since Dimi Petratos left and be the crate difference maker, an unpredictable play maker who can create. But even comparing creative outputs alone, Trent is producing an assist more frequently per minute than Piscopo (355 v 307). Unfortunately, I don't have data on big chances missed or shot on target conversion or event shot accuracy (shots v shots on target). The Keepup Website might allow that analysis.

This really opened my eyes to the effect both players have had on the team. And given the squad-constrained approach of the league you need players who are going to be available - especially if they're considered to be a key part of your Starting XI.

But when it's all said and done, one is a filthy Gypo while the other isn't.

Anyway, thought I'd share some analysis I did from some thoughts that were twigging away in my brain.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 12-01-2024 at 12:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I was actually just thinking the other day about Piscopo and based on everything you’ve written there Jeterpool it confirms what I was thinking that we need someone in this position who he can trust and rely on to perform, and Piscopo isn’t that guy. I’d like to move him on cause I feel he’d probably be on a little more coin then a lot of the players here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I've been thinking about Reno Piscopo since his latest injury. He's int he 2nd season of his 2 year deal so no doubt questions will start to be raised about whether we re-sign him (or at least try to) or simply let him go.

On his day, he can produce some magic...problem is consistency of those days seem to be few and far between. I've reviewed his time with us and pulled the following bit of data.

Since signing with us on 21/6/2022 ahead of the 2022/23 season, Piscopo has made 23 appearances of which 22 have been in the league and 1 in the FFA Cup. The Men's team have had 40 competitive fixtures since then. He has been available for 57.5% of competitive fixtures - a number that will continue to reduce as he is currently sidelined with an injury. The most matches he's strung together in a row during this time is 7.

But simply looking at appearances only gives you a limited insight, as 1 minute cameo counts as an appearance (That's 18 starts (of which he was subbed off 16 times, or 89% of the time) and 5 appearances off the bench) - so I worked out the competitive minutes the club have played since he signed.

The club have played 39 matched that went through to 90 minutes and 1 that went to extra time (this year's qualifier in Darwin). That's a total of 3630 competitive minutes. Reno has been on the pitch for 1422 of those - a total of 39%.

But what about what he does while he's on the field? In that time he's contributed 1 goal and 4 assists - a number so low that even I was surprised. So his goal contribution per minute played is therefore one every 284 minutes.

How does that compare to someone who signed at the same time as him and in the same position - say Trent Buhagiar.

We signed Trent 3 days after announcing Piscopo, so they've been around for the same amount of games (i.e. 40). Trent has appeared in 39 of these, with 27 starts (subbed off 19 times, or 70% of the time) and has come off the bench 12 times. His playing time of 2454 minutes is 67% of total minutes played.

But in that time he's made 18 goal contributions (scored 10 goals and assisted 8), which is one every 136 minutes. So he's contributing to a Jets goal at double the rate of Piscopo.

It would be interesting to see how both players contribute off the ball as well, but from the eye test neither seem to - but that could be instructions from teh coach.

Anyway, thought I'd share some analysis I did from some thoughts that were twigging away in my brain.

Bloody hell..
    Amazing work mate..

I never thought of it all like that.
    If someone said "You've got to get rid of either Piscopo or Buhagiar" I would almost immediately be showing Trent the door..
    But when you look at the numbers like that (and take in to account the amount of chances that Buhagiar has fluffed or duffed) then its pretty obvious who you would keep..

Can't wait for your analysis on Hoff vs Ingham..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Bloody hell..
    Amazing work mate..

I never thought of it all like that.
    If someone said "You've got to get rid of either Piscopo or Buhagiar" I would almost immediately be showing Trent the door..
    But when you look at the numbers like that (and take in to account the amount of chances that Buhagiar has fluffed or duffed) then its pretty obvious who you would keep..

Can't wait for your analysis on Hoff vs Ingham..
    Thanks Bon.

I don't think Dingham v Hoff would be a fair comparison. Piscopo and Buhagiar are at least of a similar age and recruitment profile. Dingham v Jenko or Aquilina could be interesting.

Either way, we've got a lot of work to do on the recruitment/retention front. With players now able to negotiate with other clubs we only have 4 players signed for next year - Dingham, Goodwin, Ryan Scott and Jacob Dowse. Of them one hasn't made a league appearance and another is frequently unavailable through injury.

The key factor is getting the ownership sorted ASAP. This brings in cash to offer well-earned upgrades for some given their standing in the squad and also assurance of stability and a pathway forward. The longer it takes to be sorted, in my opinion, the more likely we will experience another rebuild next season.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 12-01-2024 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Until you find a better player then the best player in our club then he stays, pretty simple

You omitted the only stat that matters.

1 of them is a filthy gypo, the other is not.

Case closed.