Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 2023/24 Newcastle Jets Men's Squad

O?Neil & Mauragis gone, maybe the end is near.

Seriously?
    Have been wondering where Mauragis has been for the last few weeks..

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    O?Neil & Mauragis gone, maybe the end is near.
    O?Neill is finished at this level Red, this should not be a surprise at all, he would have to be the slowest midfielder in the game

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    O?Neill is finished at this level Red, this should not be a surprise at all, he would have to be the slowest midfielder in the game
    This, Hasn't played a decent game in the A League since his smurfs days, probs one of our highest earners and been very average. Won't miss him.

O'Neill doesn't fit the mould of how the jets play. 2 fullbacks that get extremely high, require a quicker midfielder.

Good guy, decent player just doesn't fit the system under Stanton. He would go well in a team with 2 natural holders possibly in a 4231 system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Seriously?
    Have been wondering where Mauragis has been for the last few weeks..
    They mentioned mauragis to mariners on the match broadcast. Can't blame the guy.

Who wouldn?t want job security, can?t hold that against him.

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    O'Neill doesn't fit the mould of how the jets play. 2 fullbacks that get extremely high, require a quicker midfielder.

Good guy, decent player just doesn't fit the system under Stanton. He would go well in a team with 2 natural holders possibly in a 4231 system.
    I was sad when we let Al Taay go, I think he suits high fullbacks better than most in the league, even if he's not flashy or great on the ball. Proper defensive lynchpin for everyone else to position themselves off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I was sad when we let Al Taay go, I think he suits high fullbacks better than most in the league, even if he's not flashy or great on the ball. Proper defensive lynchpin for everyone else to position themselves off.
    Agree totally with all your points re Mo. He also was a great talker on the park and had a bit of mongrel in him when the going got a little dirty. We hadn't had that in the middle of the park for a long time. he's been pretty handy for Wello.

Just wanted to round up a couple things I've seen recently.

We have obviously lost Hoffy to retirement and O'Neil, Buhagair and Mauragis to other clubs. We are expected to lose Jenkinson and Barthomier which is no surprise. Apart from Mauragis, think most can agree there isn't a lot lost in this lot.

Off contract players Grozos, Bayliss, Goodwin and Timmins have offers in front of them. Happy with all 4 of those, Grozos and Timmins have proven themselves this season, either of them with a more experienced midfield should have us sitting pretty in that area. Bayliss I think has potential, but I would like to see him put into the position of a guaranteed sub next season as opposed to a guaranteed starter. Goodwin I still like, but he needs to prove himself this coming season

Piscopo, Stynes, Cancar and Weir are still unclear. I wish Piscopo was reliable. We are a better team with him on the pitch and I don't know if we'll find someone as good as him on his best days. Cancar I'm also sad to see go if he does, but we do need someone more experienced and Natta is clearly the preferred player. Stynes and Weir leaving doesn't concern me

Jets are expected to confirm three recruits once the ownership takeover has been finalised. Can only hope we're announcing an experienced CB, an experienced midfielder and some attacking player, either winger or CAM
    Last edited by Mark325; Today at 12:50 PM.

Grozos and Timmins can toddle off to some NPL where there abilities are better suited. Grozos has one good game every two months and his set piece delivery is worse than some under 10's kid. As for Timmins if i had a dollar for every time he turned the ball over this season i would not have to go to work for the next six months.

Pisocopo is more injury prone Bridge ever was so he can go bye bye also. Club cant afford to be paying a bloke of his ability n remuneration to sit in the stands more often than not because he is too fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Grozos and Timmins can toddle off to some NPL where there abilities are better suited. Grozos has one good game every two months and his set piece delivery is worse than some under 10's kid. As for Timmins if i had a dollar for every time he turned the ball over this season i would not have to go to work for the next six months.

Pisocopo is more injury prone Bridge ever was so he can go bye bye also. Club cant afford to be paying a bloke of his ability n remuneration to sit in the stands more often than not because he is too fragile.
    Disagree with Grozos, agree with Timmins. If we had a DM who could stay in position, unlike O'Neill who doesn't seem to know where to centre of the park is, he wouldn't need to do the work of two midfielders all game. Find a DM, let him float up and down one side of the pitch being tidy on the ball, with the odd wonder pass, and enough tactical nous to not let his man get away from him. You don't need 3 shiny midfielders, you need 2 or 3 that can do their roles well and Grozos can do a roll better than plenty of others that have come and gone here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.