Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023/24 Newcastle Jets Men's Squad

I'll be interested to see what style of striker we go for because for all his faults Beka was essentially anonymous this season.

Do we go for a taller target man or do we got for a player that can operate as a 9.5 and allow the primary attack through our wingers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Thoughts on Aquilina so far? I haven't been overly impressed and had a much higher opinion of him watching him sporadically than I have every other week.

Certainly the initiator of us conceding a few of the end of season goals. Defensively he is getting done 1 on 1 a fair bit. But he can deliver a decent cross into the box.
    I thought he looked good on the ball at first and was hoping he would be a good pickup, and then he got exposed so badly against his old mates down the coast and I lost all faith in him instantly. I know it's only one game, but I need to see a hell of a lot better to forgive that performance.
    Last edited by Frodo; 03-05-2023 at 10:01 AM.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I thought he looked good on the ball at first and was hoping he would be a good pickup, and then he got exposed so badly against his old mates down the coast and I lost all faith in him instantly. I know it's only one game, but I need to see a hell of a lot better to forgive that performance.
    Yeah that Silvera 1 on 1 was shocking (sidenote where the hell was THAT Silvera last season...) and he was done again for the first Sydney goal too.

Plenty of work.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    Thoughts on Aquilina so far? I haven't been overly impressed and had a much higher opinion of him watching him sporadically than I have every other week.

Certainly the initiator of us conceding a few of the end of season goals. Defensively he is getting done 1 on 1 a fair bit. But he can deliver a decent cross into the box.
    He makes a lot of last second diving in challenges

Most of the time he gets it bang on

Against the Gypos he got caught out on the night and looked woeful. If he had a centre back coming over to assist him at times ie not Jenkinson he gets away with it

Unfortunately Jenkinson was sound asleep to covering him and left him high and dry all night

I don't think he is as bad as some think. Just had a shit game and got no support from his teammates that night

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    He makes a lot of last second diving in challenges

Most of the time he gets it bang on

Against the Gypos he got caught out on the night and looked woeful. If he had a centre back coming over to assist him at times ie not Jenkinson he gets away with it

Unfortunately Jenkinson was sound asleep to covering him and left him high and dry all night

I don't think he is as bad as some think. Just had a shit game and got no support from his teammates that night
    I also think our slow ball movement nullifies his attacking qualities. If we got it out to him quicker I think we would be seeing something different.

The plodding around at the back really irritated me in the latter part of the season. If that's what we are going to be doing we need to become much, much better at breaking down a set defense.

Can't believe anyone thinks Ingham did anything performance wise to warrant a new contract. Have our standards really fallen that low?

Ingham needs to go, he is no better than a local NPL right back

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Amen

This and take Aqualina with him. Pub standard both of them

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Can't believe anyone thinks Ingham did anything performance wise to warrant a new contract. Have our standards really fallen that low?
    If I may clarify (not saying the above comments were specifically at me), when I say he looked better further forward it was in comparison to him at LB, which wasn't great. Maybe I should have said "less bad".

And when I say I think he will have earned a contract, I think the club will re-sign him - look at it objectively he played consistently for the season each and every week. I personally wouldn't be signing him again however.

I was trying to anticipate what the club will do.

The end of season awards are tonight. I expect announcements to start happening either tonight or by Friday.

I don't know who is staying or going but for what it's worth I have provided the club a summary on each of the players with expiring contracts (performances, goals, debuts, records they hold, etc). That was at my own initiative, not their request.

Show me a player, who we have a chance of signing, who's an improvement on Ingham then? I'd love to improve on him, I just don't think we would be able to given al the other more important positions we need to replace/improve on first.

I'm not saying he played well, I'm just saying I've seen enough in him that he could be a useful player next season IF we can find a pair of CBs that can actually do their jobs. You need to acknowledge that Ingham had to play with one of the worst CB pairings we've ever had and specifically beside one of the worst CBs I've ever witnessed in Jenkinson. I'd be much happier writing Ingham off if he looked this bad in an A League quality backline.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

I have a feeling we're about to enter a period of time akin to what Perth Glory has been going through these past few seasons, focusing mostly on younger players coming up and almost no established players apart from the ones we already have, and to be honest I'd be all for it.

If we can splash any cash I'd say focus on getting a great CB, CM and ST in, and then give players like Natta, Cancar, Dowse, Mauragis, Goodwin, Timmins, Stynes etc. the reigns this season to perform and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Show me a player, who we have a chance of signing, who's an improvement on Ingham then? I'd love to improve on him, I just don't think we would be able to given al the other more important positions we need to replace/improve on first.

I'm not saying he played well, I'm just saying I've seen enough in him that he could be a useful player next season IF we can find a pair of CBs that can actually do their jobs. You need to acknowledge that Ingham had to play with one of the worst CB pairings we've ever had and specifically beside one of the worst CBs I've ever witnessed in Jenkinson. I'd be much happier writing Ingham off if he looked this bad in an A League quality backline.
    Happy to share my view. I think we have a similar player, and one who I feel is better, in Mauragis. Mauragis could play the role Ingham currently is. Otherwise, he could be out left back and allow us a player on the left like Stynes did earlier this season (think vs Western United in Geelong).

It's a shame we no longer see who is available or out of contract. When club's start announcing their releases that will give us an idea who may be on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    I have a feeling we're about to enter a period of time akin to what Perth Glory has been going through these past few seasons, focusing mostly on younger players coming up and almost no established players apart from the ones we already have, and to be honest I'd be all for it.

If we can splash any cash I'd say focus on getting a great CB, CM and ST in, and then give players like Natta, Cancar, Dowse, Mauragis, Goodwin, Timmins, Stynes etc. the reigns this season to perform and see what happens.
    Younger players? Not under Papas
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Speaking of which, D Ingham player of the year.... stick a fork in it we are done!

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    Speaking of which, D Ingham player of the year.... stick a fork in it we are done!
    Yep, That says everything about this club and where its at FFS. Just when you thought shit couldn't get any more comical.

Well Frodo is gonna be bang on about us keeping Ingham then

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    This bloke surely has pictures of all the coaching staff.

Easily the worst player this season, but played consistently for whatever reason. As someone pointed out, says a lot about the club's standards.

Banned
    Yet you are advocating that we resign Grozos and AlTaay

2 guys who can't hold down a spot in the side

Yet are reluctant to resign a player who at least holds down a spot in our side every week

What sort of standards are you offering??