Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: 2023/24 Newcastle Jets Men's Squad

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    You omitted the only stat that matters.

1 of them is a filthy gypo, the other is not.

Case closed.
    Feedback received, noted and rectified
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

You sure they play in the same position?
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    You sure they play in the same position?
    Reno was deployed on the left first half of last year, Buhagiar on the right. Both players on sides of their dominant foot.

Last year Reno moved more central towards the end of the season as a 10. Trent stayed out wide or was up top.

This year, Buhagiar has been one of the front two, often dropping into midfield. When Piscopo came in for the first time this year, he took that role and benched Buhagiar and they were substituted for each other on multiple occasions.

So yeah, I think it's a fair comparison positionally on the whole during their time with the club.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Interesting stats. My eyes tell me we look a lot more cohesive when Reno is on the pitch - but in terms of individual output he certainly has some room to improve.
    I would be sad to see him go, but not devastated given how little he has been able to stay fit for us. But if he does depart, we need some quality and confidence added to midfield to replace him.

I just hope this ownership stuff is sorted pretty shortly so that next season doesn't become a write off too, with our current squad getting picked apart by others (instead of us) and no real time for the prospective new owners to put their spin on things.

Jeggo to city ffs

Not seen it mentioned on here but we’ve signed Aquilina for another two years. I think that’s a good signing based on his performance this season

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Not seen it mentioned on here but we’ve signed Aquilina for another two years. I think that’s a good signing based on his performance this season
    Who would sign to a club that has no future at seasons end unless sold 🤷*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Who would sign to a club that has no future at seasons end unless sold ��*♂️
    A bloke who knows that if it weren't for the Jets his playing days would be in Sydney in NPL, Not unlike two thirds of our squad

😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    A bloke who knows that if it weren't for the Jets his playing days would be in Sydney in NPL, Not unlike two thirds of our squad
    That?s what I thought 380

I don't wish to down on the players but the truth is given our financial circumstances we are giving players a run in the A League who come cheap and would most likely not get a look in at any other club. Brisbane have been operating very similar to us and Perth to a lesser extent.

Just how it is when your one of the pauper clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    I don't wish to down on the players but the truth is given our financial circumstances we are giving players a run in the A League who come cheap and would most likely not get a look in at any other club. Brisbane have been operating very similar to us and Perth to a lesser extent.

Just how it is when your one of the pauper clubs.
    👍

Grimaldi re-signed for another 2 years. I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion, but the number of re-signings seem to have increased in the last week or so, so I take that as an encouraging sign about the ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Grimaldi re-signed for another 2 years. I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion, but the number of re-signings seem to have increased in the last week or so, so I take that as an encouraging sign about the ownership.
    He's no world beater but looking around the A League at other squads he is not out of place in this League. Reminds me a bit of Gypo Arnolds Son In Law in actual fact, The way he moves around the park etc. The club is probably looking at him from a investment POV, If he keeps improving then a tidy fee might come the clubs way one day for his services.

Clayon Taylor has extended his contract. Obviously a good signing, dudes super talented.

Surely the signings of players like him and Natta who you’d imagine could get signed by other clubs means a new owner is imminent

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Clayon Taylor has extended his contract. Obviously a good signing, dudes super talented.

Surely the signings of players like him and Natta who you’d imagine could get signed by other clubs means a new owner is imminent
    You could ask Shane to define imminent but we know how that goes LOL.

OK, this is a bit out of date but with finals now all-but gone we need to start thinking about who is going to be around next season

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Updated 10/7/23 following Apostolos Stamatelopoulos signing

Expiring at conclusion of NPL season
    30 Noah James - signed until 2023 ^

Expiring 23/24
    xx Ryan Scott - signed until 23/24* (assumed)
    03 Jason Hoffman - signed until 23/24
    06 Brandon O'Neill - signed until 23/24
    07 Trent Buhagiar - signed until 23/24
    10 Reno Piscopo - signed until 23/24
    16 Kosta Grozos - signed until 23/24
    18 Daniel Stynes - signed until 23/24
    19 Callum Timmins - signed until 23/24
    20 Michael Weier - signed until 23/24
    22 Phillip Cancar - signed until 23/24
    23 Mark Natta - signed until 23/24
    xx Lucas Mauragis - signed until 23/24
    25 Carl Jenkinson - signed until 23/24
    xx Rory Jordan - signed until 23/24 - Loaned to APIA Leichardt
    29 Thomas Aquilina - signed until 23/24
    xx Lachlan Bayliss - signed until 23/24*
    xx Clayton Taylor - signed until 23/24*
    xx Daniel Wilmering - signed until 23/24 *

Expiring 24/25
    02 Dane Ingham - signed until 24/25
    26 Archie Goodwin - signed until 24/25
    xx Jacob Dowse - signed until 24/25
    xx Apostolos Stamatelopoulos - signed until 24/25

22 players signed for season
    - 21 A-League squad players from possible 23
    - # = 1 Visa spot (Jenkinson) from possible 5
    - ^ = 1 Scholarships from possible 3
    - 1 Player loaned out (Jordan at APIA Leichardt)
    - * contract length has not been disclosed and it is believed this is the deal length
    - Noah James youth contract signed until conclusion of 2023 NPL season. (https://twitter.com/JamesGardiner42/...37071083044865)

Rumoured Incoming Players
    None active

Rumoured Outgoing Players
    None active

For me:

OUTS
    - Carl Jenkinson and Jason Bethomier haven't lived up to expectations this season. Even if they come good over the next few weeks I think their ship has sailed. The writing was on the wall for Jenko earlier in the season but an unfortunate injury early in his return to the starting lineup curtailed his chances. Berthomer by some accounts has struggled with his knees on the hard surfaces out here.
    - Trent Buhagiar is linked with a move overseas.
    - Reno Piscopo shows flashes while he is on the field but that's all too inconsistent. We need more from a player of his standing.
    - Jason Hoffman I think is raching the end of his 17 year A-League career. A club legend in his own right, the early season move to CB to increase his longevity hasn't paid off. It surprises me why we haven't looked to players like Hoff to address out closing out games issues with an experienced head. We need to treat his departure in a much better way than we did Kanta's.
    - I think we need to get mutual with Jacob Dowse. A spot wasted this year though injuries have impacted him.
    - One of Weier of Noah James...neither are getting close to testing Ryan Scott.
    - Rory Jordan

JURY'S OUT
    - Daniel Stynes. I've never been his biggest fan. I don't see what he offers that's different to many other A-League midfielders.
    - Brandon O'Neill could do with a solid defense behind him.
    - Philip Cancar is a doubt. We're apparently looking at an experienced CB, then with Natta signing on longer and Grimaldi's emergence in a squad-capped league do we have the luxury to carry 4 CB?

RETAIN
    - Callum Timmins. I've been mostly impressed with him this season.
    - Kosta Grozos - he's got a better set piece records than Dimi at the Jets and we need that skill in the squad.
    - Daniel Wilmering, Lachlan Bayliss.
    - Lucas Mauragis
    - Ryan Scott

Apart of me doesn’t want this club to have to do another mass exodus of players, feels like that’s just become the new normal for us. So, I’d like to see us only move on a small crop of the bigger name players that aren’t really doing a lot for us

Outs
    Jenkinson
    Berthomier
    Piscopo - this one bothers me cause you just know another club will sign him and he’ll go injury free and carve up the league
    Hoffman
    O’Neil
    One of the goalkeepers - preference for Weir only because James is Newy based but I’m not fussed either way

Maybe
    Stynes - not so bad I’d be annoyed if we kept him on, not so good id be annoyed if we moved him on

Keep
    Cancar - I see why we won’t keep him, but I think he’s a great CB and you just know he’ll go elsewhere and be part of a great pairing. I think we don’t need a more experienced CB, but we need to sign a new RB with experience and get in an experienced CDM which I’d hope will fix out issues
    Callum Timmins, Kosta Grozos, Lachlan Bayliss - all three fill in solid midfield roles. Timmins seems like a solid number 6 replacement, Grozos fits the box to box mold a little bit and Bayliss would be good cover for a CAM.
    Wilmering
    Mauragis - the player we NEED to keep on, he’s been a real game changer lately and I’m hoping we can resign him and get a fat transfer fee for him
    Ryan Scott - apart from some hiccups start of the season and one or two blunders later on, he’s been a real solid keeper considering how cheap he’d be

Mauragis to scum.