Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newcastle Jets head coach

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I'm also disappointed Papas left. I think we saw glimpses of what we could do, but what I didn't see, for balance, was a lot of in game flexibility. Our ability to close out games was also a concern at times.

Whoever comes in, like Papas, will be playing with their hands and legs tied behind their back so I wonder just whether we would see the best of them or simply the best hey can do with what they've got.
    Ability to close out games has always been an issue for the Jets, would love to see how many points we've dropped over the years in the final ~5-10 minutes of games compared to other teams
    Last edited by A.J.; 20-06-2023 at 02:58 PM.

Banned
    There are always going to be people who want to come in thinking they can make something of the role and establish yourself as an A-League coach....after all there's only 12 positions on offer in our top league.

I've heard a few calls for Damian Zane. If he has the quals to coach at A-League level I think he's a shout. Joel Grififiths the same - does he have the quals?

Zadkovich is probably my front-runner. He knows half the squad given they left Perth recently (Dowse, O'Neill, Timmins, Stynes) or played with them (Hoffman). That could be a blessing or a curse - e.g. why did Timmins and Stynes leave when Zads was coach before?

Gary van Egmond would be right behind him.

A left field one? Brad Maloney is current u17 Joey's manager. He's also got the same agent as Arthur and most of our squad. He's away with at the Asian Cup and doing well - I wonder if that's a natural conclusion point in his role? As a former Newcastle Breaker, I wonder if the role at the Jets interests him?

Talay would be a great-get but I think is unachievable. Haliti is an interesting shout.

The Cons for us are obvious - unstable future for the club around ownership, minimum spend on squad is the maximum they can expect, stadium dramas continue,

The pros, however, are there are zero expectations, opportunity to recruit half a squad and an entire pre-season to transition your ideas.
    Your comment doubting Griffos qualifications and abilities should see you banned for such disgraceful comments

Who the **** are you to doubt Griffo ??

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Your comment doubting Griffos qualifications and abilities should see you banned for such disgraceful comments

People who wrongly doubt Griffo and like "bits of paper to say he can do it" need to be satisfied that he meets all their stupid rules. They put the rules there because the DON'T want him there so they try to make it hard.

I know he can do it, for Griffs sake.

Giff
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Objectively, GVE is not behind Zadkovich. I love Ruben but GVE is far more experienced and he's already here. He's also improved vastly since his last stint.

GVE will be the next head coach of the Jet's A-League men's team.
    Experience isn't the same as ability or skill. I don't think Ruben is good enough for us at all, but there is at least a chance he could turn out to be a decent head coach with improvement. He definitely showed he wasn't quite ready at Perth, but it wasn't all bad.

Gary, however, we know isn't good enough. He wasn't good enough when he left and the game has improved since then. Would be the final nail in the coffin for some if he is the coach come round 1.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

No coach/ manager will ever be given what they reqire to be succesful at the Jets unless they get full autonomy and an owner with deep pockets willing to back them all the way.

Failing that it will just be more of the same regardless of who gets the coach/manager role at the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Experience isn't the same as ability or skill. I don't think Ruben is good enough for us at all, but there is at least a chance he could turn out to be a decent head coach with improvement. He definitely showed he wasn't quite ready at Perth, but it wasn't all bad.

Gary, however, we know isn't good enough. He wasn't good enough when he left and the game has improved since then. Would be the final nail in the coffin for some if he is the coach come round 1.
    Damian Zane, if we look local- no other option, good bloke, excellent coaching knowledge and skill, also understands player football and metal development

RZ maybe as ball boy, no guarantee he doesn't f#$* that up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by W8 WATCHER View Post
    Damian Zane, if we look local- no other option, good bloke, excellent coaching knowledge and skill, also understands player football and metal development

RZ maybe as ball boy, no guarantee he doesn't f#$* that up as well.
    As others are saying, whoever takes the gig isn't going to have a good time. So maybe Damian is better off waiting for another offer, wouldn't want to ruin his chance at a top job by taking this shit show and having it stain his CV.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Herald today:
    A-League soccer, 2023: Alen Stajcic, Damian Zane among 30 in queue for Jets coaching job
    By James Gardiner
    Updated June 21 2023 - 7:01pm, first published 7:00pm

FORMER Matildas and Central Coast coach Alen Stajcic, one-time Olyroos boss Aurelio Vidmar and home-grown mentor Damian Zane are understood to be among 30 applicants for the vacant position at the Newcastle Jets.

Arthur Papas resigned on Monday with a year to run on his contract, leaving the A-League club without a coach less than a week before the start of pre-season training.

Papas' assistant, Arthur Diles, has also departed and is expected to take up a similar position at Melbourne Victory.

Jets executive chairman Shane Mattiske has moved quickly to find a replacement and is compiling a list to present to the ownership group.

"We have had a large number of candidates come forward," Mattiske said.

"We have assessed those candidates and in effect put them in order in terms of how they meet the criteria for the profile of coach that we would like. We are at the stage now where we are engaging with the board around their views on the candidates at the top of the list."

The list of applicants includes coaches from Australia and abroad with varying levels of experience.

Sources have told the Newcastle Herald that Stajcic, Vidmar and Zane are on a shortlist that includes former Auckland City coach Ramon Tribulex, Melbourne Knights coach Ben Cahn, Sydney FC assistant Robbie Stanton, Western United assistant coach John Anastasiadis, former Roar coach Warren Moon and Victoria Premier League mentor Chris Taylor.

Former Jets captain Ruben Zadkovich, who parted ways with Perth Glory last month, and one-time fan favourite Labinot Haliti have also expressed interest in the job.

Mattiske, though not detailing the criteria, was confident of finding "the right fit" for the team and the community.

"We have already talked to a number of candidates or are scheduled to talk to them," he said. "We were prepared for this process and are now moving forward quickly."

The Jets players are undergoing testing this week and have their first field session on Monday ahead of the Australia Cup qualifier against Melbourne Victory in the Australian Cup play-off in Darwin on July 17.

"We are aware that the team is coming together Monday," Mattiske said. "We would like to be in a position where we have confirmed a coach but there is no guarantee."

Stajcic is preparing the Phillippines women's team for their first appearance at a World Cup in a month's time. He previously coached the Matildas, taking them to a World Cup and Olympic games, before controversially sacked in 2019.

He has experience in the A-League at the Mariners. They finished last in his first full season in charge but made the play-offs in the second season before he departed.

There has been strong push in Newcastle football circles for Zane to be given an opportunity at A-League level.

He is in charge of Newcastle's youth team, who sit second on the NPL 2 ladder and are on track for promotion, and has achieved sustained success in the NPL with Edgeworth and Broadmeadow.

Meanwhile, Kosta Grozos has inked a one-year extension at the Jets.

Veteran Jason Hoffman is also believed to have inked a contract extension.

Both are understood to have agreed to term before the resignation on Monday of Arthur Papas.

Grozos, 22, was among 16 new players brought in by Papas as the start of the 20-21 season.

He made 20 appearances in his first season and was awarded the Jets' Rising Star.

The attacking midfielder played 23 games last season, deputising for Reno Piscopo who missed a large chunk of the season with injury, and scored two goals to go with two assists.

"I'm happy to stay at the Jets for another season," Grozos said in a statement. "I feel comfortable here at the club, I love the city and I want to continue growing here as a footballer and help bring success back to the club."

Meanwhile, former Jets striker Beka Mikeltadze is close to finalising a deal with Korean club Gwangju FC.

Mikeltadze has reportedly arrived in Korea and started his training with the club while waiting for the paperwork to be signed off.

Gwangju beat Suwon Bluewings 2-1 on Saturday to move to eighth spot.

"We were prepared for this process and are now moving forward quickly

"Ultimately, it will be subject to the discussions with the board and how long it takes to get through the final stage of the process."
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Another one - this one has a poll to vote on the list given https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...ets-next-coach:

A-League soccer, 2023: Who should be the Newcastle Jets next coach?
    James Gardiner
    By James Gardiner
    June 20 2023 - 6:00pm

An experienced mentor or a young coach with modern methods. A proven performer or the next A-League coach in waiting. An outsider or someone with a connection to the region. Foreigner or Aussie. High profile or emerging. A safe bet or left-field option.

These are some of the options Newcastle Jets executive Shane Mattiske will consider in finding a replacement head coach after the resignation of Arthur Papas on Monday.

Mattiske has been flooded with applicants and hopes to make an appointment in the next week.

The Jets' past four coaches - Papas, Craig Deans, Carl Robinson, Ernie Merrick - have been from varying backgrounds and levels of experience. Only Merrick was successful in taking the Jets to the finals.

Below is a look at potential candidates for the position.

RUBEN ZADKOVICH
    The former Jets captain ticks a lot of boxes. He has a strong connection to the region, has in-depth knowledge of the local football landscape, has experienced the furnace of coaching in the A-League and is available. His departure from Perth Glory was sudden and has never been fully detailed. There is no doubt that the Glory improved under his care. Given the charter of rebuilding the club on a modest budget, he gave opportunities to a host of young West Australians. He also plucked Keegan Jelanic from the Queensland NPL and turned him into one of the best young midfielders in the country, earning a big-money move to Belgium last month. He has an emotional tie to Newcastle and considers the Jets his dream job.

GARY VAN EGMOND
    There is no more experienced candidate. The man known as Dutchy remains the only coach in the club's history to have won a championship, back in 2008. His second stint in charge from 2012-14 didn't end well. Since then, he has held various positions in the national set-up with the Matildas, Olyroos and Young Socceroos. Developing young talent has always been his strength. He is in charge of the Jets academy and coach of the women's program.

BEN CAHN
    Widely regarded as the best young coach in the country. Born in England and came through the academy at Fulham before turning to coaching in his 20s. Coached the Mariners youth team in 2017 and was an assistant to first grade coach Paul Okon. More recently, he led Brisbane Olympic to five straight grand finals in the Queensland NPL on a smallish budget. He took over Victorian NPL club Melbourne Knights this season and has turned them around. They sit fourth on the ladder. Their best finish in the past seven seasons has been eighth. He has also secured them a berth in the Australian Cup round of 32. Has an AFC pro licence at age 34 and is renowned as an excellent communicator and educator.

DAMIAN ZANE
    Many believe Zane should have already been given an opportunity at the helm of the Jets A-League side. His record in the Northern NSW NPL - four premierships and three grand final wins in five years at Edgeworth - speaks for itself. He is in charge of the Jets youth team which sits second on the NPL 2 ladder and on track for promotion. Has served a long apprenticeship. No-one has a better gauge on the young players coming through the system. Like Zadkovich and Van Egmond, he has an emotional attachment to the region and the football community.

UFUK TALAY
    Would be first choice if interested. Has a proven record in the A-League and helped develop some of the country's best young talent during stints with the Joeys and Young Socceroos. Took Wellington to third place in his first season and consistently had them in contention for the play-offs despite losing their biggest stars most seasons. He parted ways with the Phoenix at the end of last season to pursue opportunities in Europe. Was part of the Socceroos support staff for the friendly against Argentina earlier this month.

LABINOT HALITI
    Was given his chance in the A-League as a player by the Jets and would love to repeat history as a coach. Served a coaching apprenticeship under Lawrie McKinna and Ernie Merrick and is now in charge of NSW NPL club Sydney Olympic. He has passion for the region and knows the importance of tapping into the local community. A self-confessed football nerd, he boasts an incredible work ethic and - with the right senior assistant - has the traits to step up.

ANTE JURIC
    Former Socceroos defender who has led Sydney FC to five A-League women's titles, including the double last season. He played over 200 games in the old NSL, winning numerous titles. He coached Sydney Olympic to a NSW NPL premiership in 2020.

CARL ROBINSON
    Was every bit the coaching messiah in his short stint with the Newcastle Jets. The former Welsh international steered Newcastle to six wins and a draw in 10 games before quitting to take up a lucrative deal at Western Sydney. However, it soon turned sour and he was sacked after less than 18 months in charge. Currently an assistant at US Major League Soccer club DC United.
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    Another one - this one has a poll to vote on the list given https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...ets-next-coach:
    If we signed Ben Cahn, Damian Zane, and Ufuk Talay I think most of us would be happy to varying degrees. If we got Zads or Haliti I think it would get a mixed response, they would be willing to give youth a go but neither has had the success of the above-listed coaches at any level.

If we signed GVE or Carl Robinson I think that will be a lot of fans jumping off point until proven otherwise. GVE is a hack, and much like Papas will be unwilling to give our locals a chance, and the idea that Robinson can show up, give us a sign of life then up and leave, take half of our team, fail at this new club then just waltz back in would show a real lack of backbone from this club and would really be pathetic. Hopefully, the club makes the right choice and either sign someone like Talay to show some ambition or gives someone a go who has earned it.
    Last edited by Mark325; 22-06-2023 at 04:06 PM.

The Alen Stajic links that came out yesterday afternoon are also interesting. I would put him in the list of the top candidates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

He said Joel was in with a shout but then asked if he had the qualifications. Sounds like he was simply asking if he did have the Pro-Licence

People who wrongly doubt Griffo and like "bits of paper to say he can do it" need to be satisfied that he meets all their stupid rules. They put the rules there because the DON'T want him there so they try to make it hard.
    You mean Football Australia have put the rules in that the head coach must have a AFC or UEFA Pro diploma because they don't want Griffo to take the role?

The Alen Stajic links that came out yesterday afternoon are also interesting. I would put him in the list of the top candidates.
    Stajic would be a good choice

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    We wanted him gone because he wouldn't change things on the pitch when it wasn't working and also didn't have any interest in promoting or developing youth. Even worse then that if you believe the rumours.
    I shake my head when the comment about Papas not developing the youth.
    Papas was the first team coach, the youth development is done well before they get to a stage where they are up to first team football.

The Jets youth team are in NSW NPL2, So essentially the third division. All the other NSW teams are in the top division. It's a massive ask for getting talented players to jump from NSW NPL2 to the A League. Papas would have known this.

It's also a big disadvantage for the jets to be 2 divisions apart from the other 4 NSW teams. We all want some locals in the team, great to see Jacob Dowse now on the books. I would have looked at bringing in Jakeb Cresnar, like Dowse had to move away to get experience first. From the games I have seen him play for Sydney Olympic, he looks to be up to being A League standard as a squad player as a minimum.

As for the coach....
    I'd be happy for Damien Zane to get an opportunity. Has ticked all the boxes at NPL level. That warrants an opportunity at a higher level.

As for the assistant, Kew Jaliens is my pick provided he and Zane are obviously happy to work together. Has turned Weston around this year and could be handy at scouting overseas players, obviously Dutch players.

I think he is a poor fit, culturally.

From the Herald the other day

DAMIAN Zane will act as caretaker coach when the Newcastle Jets assemble for pre-season training on Monday but appears unlikely to get the job full-time.

Jets executive chairman Shane Mattiske is meeting with the club's owners this weekend to discuss a short list of candidates to replace Arthur Papas, who resigned on Monday.

"We have looked at all the candidates and ranked them in terms of how they fit against our criteria," Mattiske said. "There are a small group who sit at the top of that list who will be presented to the board for a clear direction on how we close the process."

Zane is understood to be among more than 30 hopefuls to have expressed an interest in the position. However, the Jets youth team boss does not have a Pro-Licence - or is in the process of obtaining one - which is a requirement to coach an A-League side.

The Newcastle Herald understands that former Jets captain Ruben Zadkovich, Sydney FC assistant Robbie Stanton, former Matildas coach Alen Stajcic, ex Brisbane Roar boss Warren Moon and former Socceroo Scott McDonald are among the leading candidates. (not included in this article but saw a tweet that Mark Milligan is also on the shortlist)

Zane is highly regarded and will get an opportunity to work with the first team until a head coach is appointed.

Players were informed on Friday that Zane, goalkeeping coach Chris Bowling and the club's strength and conditioning staff will oversee field sessions from Monday. Academy technical director Gary van Egmond will also be involved.

READ MORE:
    Mattiske was confident that a new coach will be in place well ahead of the Australia Cup qualifier against Melbourne Victory in Darwin on July 17. "We have to get the right person, that is paramount," Mattiske said. "But there is an absolute focus on getting a coach in place to contribute strongly with preparations for the Australia Cup game on July 17."

As well as the Australia Cup game, the Jets have four places to fill on their playing roster

I don't believe we can have an "L plate" coach at this point in time. Think Scott Miller and Mark Jones in the past. Has to be someone with a history who can get the most out of very little. Think Ernie.

Stajic floats to the surface. Don't care about the scum stink.

I saw a quote by Mattiske where he said the new coach will have a strong connection to Newcastle, so he's either full of shit or most of the candidates don't fit the bill
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Arthur Pappas has just signed on as the Technical Director of Thai Champions Buriram United.

At least he had the decency to leave when an opportunity came up and not screw around and try to get sacked/paid out like he could have.