Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Jets Academies

Meanwhile, Mattiske expects to know by Friday if Gary van Egmond will take up a job in China but has ruled out the coach being able to work for both organisations.
    Van Egmond is believed to be the preferred candidate to head up China's national women's youth program.
    The 58-year-old, who coaches the Jets women and heads the academy, made a whirlwind trip to China last week to explore the opportunity and met with Mattiske on Tuesday.
    "At this point in time, there is not a definite offer," Mattiske said. "Gary has advised us that he will know by the end of the week if there is an offer and whether he is willing to accept it.
    "If he was to take the position it is something he would have to focus on solely. He would not be able to continue his roles at the Jets."
    Van Egmond was approached last month about the position in China and has since been in talks with the Asian powerhouse.
    A coach needs to be in place at the start of the year to prepare the China side in the lead-up to women's under-20 Asian Cup to be held in Uzbekistan in March.

This bloke should be terminated already. Some of his mates are untrustworthy money chasers. He's just looking for his next pay day. Cannot be focused on anything in Newcastle apart from getting his family paid gigs.

Anyone know what’s happening at jets youth ? Not many scores posted on their Facebook. Only seen one of a Japan tour. Are they holding their own or not so good? Thought comp started or is it still trials?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamtime Yowie View Post
    Anyone know what’s happening at jets youth ? Not many scores posted on their Facebook. Only seen one of a Japan tour. Are they holding their own or not so good? Thought comp started or is it still trials?
    The comp has definitely started on the girls side round 3 this weekend and I was under the impression the boys started 3 weeks before the girls so should be round 6 this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    The comp has definitely started on the girls side round 3 this weekend and I was under the impression the boys started 3 weeks before the girls so should be round 6 this weekend.
    Tried to google and managed to find some scores and tables. Not looking great atm so makes sense why they aren?t posting scores I guess.

Tried to google and managed to find some scores and tables. Not looking great atm so makes sense why they aren?t posting scores I guess.
    Two rounds in and the girls side looks good, just don?t look at first grade. lol

Adult mens are no.2 in club championship in tier 3

Youth club championship for boys 12th of 16 clubs

4 games in by age:
    U13s - 12th
    U14s - 15th
    U15s - 11th
    U16s - 9th
    U18s - 4th

Quote Originally Posted by WOW2.0 View Post
    Adult mens are no.2 in club championship in tier 3

Youth club championship for boys 12th of 16 clubs

4 games in by age:
    U13s - 12th
    U14s - 15th
    U15s - 11th
    U16s - 9th
    U18s - 4th
    Disgrace, this won?t impress any new potential owner who wants to develop from within

What’re our thoughts on the program playing in NSW NPL structure.

Are the best players getting the training and development?
    Are they improving with the calibre of teams they are playing week in, week out?
    Would they be better served playing in local NNSW NPL again with adjusted age groups?
    I understand it may be a big commitment to spend most weekends down in Sydney and may turn a few people away. Would playing locally allow “the best” to not have the make that decision?

CCM seem to be constantly developing quality youth that can step into A League squad and make a go of it compared to our ‘prospects’ and history, do we need to be in tier 1 to be reaping the benefits?

No skin in the game. Just observations and curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    What?re our thoughts on the program playing in NSW NPL structure.

Are the best players getting the training and development?
    Are they improving with the calibre of teams they are playing week in, week out?
    Would they be better served playing in local NNSW NPL again with adjusted age groups?
    I understand it may be a big commitment to spend most weekends down in Sydney and may turn a few people away. Would playing locally allow ?the best? to not have the make that decision?

CCM seem to be constantly developing quality youth that can step into A League squad and make a go of it compared to our ?prospects? and history, do we need to be in tier 1 to be reaping the benefits?

No skin in the game. Just observations and curious.

I think playing in Sydney competition is great for the kids, not so much the parents doing all this driving.
    Also The morning sessions are a killer from the people I?ve spoken 2.
    There?s been a lot of kids going in and out of late and coaching also so that can?t be great. Last season they came top 3 in club championships yeah? Now not looking so great.

Maybe GVE and his sidekick Gomez weren?t so bad after all?

One of 13s games they won a few weeks ago has not been registered in the table yet. Should be equal 6th but 8th on goal difference.

The results last year were also not very good, most teams finished 9th or 10th if I recall. The club championship was propped up by the fact they won the 16s comp.

From what I have heard, 2nd hand, GVE and Gomez alienated lots of players and parents. Many of those people left and I have only had reported bad user experiences from half a dozen parents (including some who are still there).

You might alternatively look at this current state as damage having been done by them, and the system needing time to recover...consequently, they are where they are (very early in the season with lots of time to improve in their positions).

(...Arguable too, do they have the best kids in Newcastle in the first place)

Speaking as a parent with a kid in the program ( girls side) playing in the Sydney comp is a must, there is a vast difference in levels from Newcastle to Sydney. And I don?t find the mornings bad at all, I find it actually works better, can be tricky to adjust and get used to when you first do it but we are in year two of it now and no complaints.

2 of the biggest pr*cks in Newcastle youth football ever.

They had the better kids in town playing sh*t football. Only the 16s who were coached by better coaches previously did well. 18s were ok.
    Gomez is a joke. Check his pedigree....

Jets Academy are playing on a shoestring budget. Coaches basically volunteer. Playing in Sydney is a big plus. The travel is not much chop.
    Some of the "Academy" rules are pretty sh*t though. 6/7 players on the bench. little game time. Coaching is basically NPL Newcastle standard, older age better.

(...Arguable too, do they have the best kids in Newcastle in the first place)[/QUOTE]

This is always the constant question in newcastle football and the answer is NO but that is from many factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired01 View Post
    (...Arguable too, do they have the best kids in Newcastle in the first place)
    This is always the constant question in newcastle football and the answer is NO but that is from many factors.[/QUOTE]

I agree, co$t$, travel, morning training, coaching quality, politics, favouritism, talent ID shortcomings, player/parent alienation...probably dozens more reasons

Alienation is probably the worst...as it drives people away as "fans" as well, and they tell their stories to their friends...every year it just seems that the Jets and the league just have fans dropping off in droves

Player ID is a big factor too. They may pick who they think are the best 15 players in that age group. But that doesn't always equate to the best team.
    Because they say they want to play attacking/ possession football, they'll pick 15 kids who are good attackers. Then some of those kids are forced to play as defenders and when they don't perform at that level in a position they aren't best at. They get moved on.

Saw this on ESPN over on FB.
    Is this the end of the Jets 😱 (and the Canberra women's W-League team)

https://www.espn.com.au/soccer/story...gDHDExK9OANeRY

Quote Originally Posted by WOW2.0 View Post
    Saw this on ESPN over on FB.
    Is this the end of the Jets 😱 (and the Canberra women's W-League team)

https://www.espn.com.au/soccer/story...gDHDExK9OANeRY
    Surely the academy could still run itself if the seniors fold. If the academy isn?t pumping money into seniors then it should be able to run itself along with some sponsorship thrown in? If they both fold then that will be a disaster for Newcastle football.

My understanding is that the academy are their own entity, so wouldn?t / shouldn?t be affected by a sale or fold of the A League club?that said, if there?s no ?pathway? to an A League club I would imagine parents would seriously look at what they?re paying for versus coming back to NPL/PYL or trying their luck at Central Coast or elsewhere.

I think the success of the academy is predicated on the connection to an A-League club, and people viewing it as a pathway to that slim opportunity of professional football.

From what I understand, it is very expensive to participate and take those opportunities

If it is folded, the returning talent to the local comp will be invigorating though