Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Zone League 1

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    The reality is that clubs do not have the resources, people power and facilities to go to a higher level. Every club has aspirations, but they certainly differ between clubs. So what happens to clubs that simply don't have the facilities to go up? Don't have an enclosed ground which then disadvantages that club to all the others that generate income from spectators? There's a plethora of reasons as to why a top to bottom promotion relegation within 5 divisions of local football in Newcastle won't work.
    There absolutely needs to be a minimum of two divisions with promotion and relegation, but there needs to be separation below that.. For sure, if there are clubs that aspire to make that jump, then that can still be achieved. But forcing clubs isn't the right way to do it.
    The mid-season phone calls from Northern to clubs within reach of top spot in ZL1 to discuss facilities and upgrades is going to be a good laugh.
    Promotion and relegation in 5 divisions worked for many many years and will again, ask Newcastle Olympic where they came from, ask South Cardiff where they came from, ask Kahibah where they came from, as Valentine where the they came from, those who fight against it will dwindle away for the better.

I am in the camp of a yes to promotion and relegation throughout the 5 divisions however why does it have to be compulsory that a team has to be promoted?

Why not make it so the team that finishes first past the post has the guaranteed option to move up a division instead of automatically forcing them to?

This way you dont deny any club the opportunity to show ambition but also allow the clubs that are happy with the current league/level they are in to remain there.

Why leave a club who shouldn't deserve to be in the comp above up there because another team may not want to go up?

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Why leave a club who shouldn't deserve to be in the comp above up there because another team may not want to go up?
    Because they have been fortunate that at the end of the season that the club beneath them doesn?t want to take up the promotion offer. It will still keep clubs on their toes and want them to avoid finishing bottom because they won?t want to take the chance that the club that finishes first below them does want to take up the opportunity.

People who lose every game shouldn't get second chances. People also shouldn't be afraid of change.

People who lose every game shouldn't get second chances. People also shouldn't be afraid of change.
    agree mediocrity should go down and then fight to go back up. Remember, the committee has final say and can make a change as they see fit regardless of standing rules.

NL1 should severely lower team rego fees and all the other unnecessary stuff that makes them feel elite. Sure maintain pitch quality and ensure coaching licenses but much of the criteria is unneeded.
    Then the ZL teams can go up and keep operating with their current admin setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newysports2.0 View Post
    The name is obviously a pisstake if you can’t tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    the pisstake is on, who would call themselves after a pedo.....

It?s easy for you to say that but the reality is some clubs just are not capable of adapting to the change required to be sustainable in a higher division. I just feel the promotion option keeps all parties satisfied.

I hope you dont mind lofty but I will use the Suns as an example. I have no idea what their club aspirations are however lets just say they are happy playing in the current Zone league set up and have no interest in seriously pushing for NPL.

So the aim is clear for a club in zone league who do have npl aspirations. Finish in front of the Suns after 22 games and claim your promotion. If not no one goes up or down that season. And yes the last placed team in the division above is thanking their lucky stars. The next season they might not be that lucky.

I know this model is not perfect but it seems pretty fair to all parties.

Quote Originally Posted by straightred88 View Post
    LOL - that?s how the football pyramid works around the world and how it?s supposed to be. For some reason we think we are different here.
    They don't have community football? They also certainly do NOT have our landmass/population density. England for example has a population of 56mil (double ours) in land mass like 32 times smaller hahaha.

Zone league is(was) the perfect balance for community football. Not every club wants to make the A-league.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonal Marking View Post
    I hope you dont mind lofty but I will use the Suns as an example. I have no idea what their club aspirations are however lets just say they are happy playing in the current Zone league set up and have no interest in seriously pushing for NPL.

So the aim is clear for a club in zone league who do have npl aspirations. Finish in front of the Suns after 22 games and claim your promotion. If not no one goes up or down that season. And yes the last placed team in the division above is thanking their lucky stars. The next season they might not be that lucky.

I know this model is not perfect but it seems pretty fair to all parties.
    This is exactly what I think would make sense. Let the flow-up happen if they want it. Otherwise, leave it alone.

Pushing a team up that doesn't want to be there, will NOT benefit a single person.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatScreen View Post
    They don't have community football? They also certainly do NOT have our landmass/population density. England for example has a population of 56mil (double ours) in land mass like 32 times smaller hahaha.

Zone league is(was) the perfect balance for community football. Not every club wants to make the A-league.
    Ah the old land mass argument - please LOL

Let?s just continue with a closed shop of recycled teams then

What is the cost of registering your club in each division. The huge financial ability of clubs will always be the issue.
    Back when it was called ID1s ID2s and ID3s, it was a big step for a small club to go from 2s up to 1s as that meant the club was playing for prize money. That prize money was generated via the clubs rego fee, which meant clubs had to generate extra thousands of $ on top of previous year.
    Then being newly promoted it was a battle to win any of that prize money, thus the new clubs just worked hard to make the big established clubs richer.

When I was on the committee of a club playing ZPL we asked a local club for around $1500 for sponsorship and needed it to get by. We then had a coach come in from a neighbouring club who played NewFM at the time and he said they asked the same club for $45,000 and got $30,000. We we actually hosted 3 events at the club to give back support when the NewFM club only did one. And this was years ago, can't imagine the financial difference in clubs these days

Heard Dudley sent an email out that they are strongly against Pro/Rel ?

If true haahhaha - what an embarrassing club.

Surely Dudley asone of the better run clubs would want to push for promotion

Must be tough being a top club in ZPL, dominated most competition across all grades and not wanting to go up. Big fish small pond must be scared. Its like they forget theres something called saturday all age for the 3rd graders to move the side into if they go up (Havent seen the email but have heard about it from numerous people)

Dudley used to be in the 2nd division some years back, possibly 15?? They were one of the clubs including Thornton and Beresfield that were put down by Northern NSW Football into the Zone Leagues despite a strong desire to stay up. It was around the same time Charlestown were put into the second division.

I think there is still quite a strong representation from those years still around the club. So you can't blame them for having some hesitation. Dudley has always had a strong and successful club in 3 grades, They are probably thinking 'If it's not broken, don't fix it' . In regards to maintaining 3 grades.

Heard Dudley sent an email out that they are strongly against Pro/Rel
    They did forward a letter they submitted to the Zone League hierarchy.

It was well written with valid points that any club who did not wish to be promoted would be expressing.

Whether it works or is a bit naive and does not we will see.

I am all for people disagreeing with another clubs actions but when it goes against how the majority of other clubs feel then it?s a pretty idiotic opinion.

But perhaps I?m wrong and every other club is yelling and screaming about wanting to be promoted.

Suns?? Mayfield?? Warners Bay??
    All keen are you?..

Nothing embarrassing about the letter sent. Your comment is what I would guess very uneducated and one from someone who hasn?t ever been involved with the running of a football club.
    It?s not a matter of being scared of the competition on the field, it?s everything that else that comes with making the jump up to the two premier divisions. Dudley and Suns are two similar clubs in a lot of ways. We have had consistent on field and off field success due to the fact we provide an environment for players who are wanting to take a step back from the commitments required in the top two divisions. Somewhere that young players who have a connection with the club to come up and through the ranks. Somewhere that good club people can remain at for a long time due to the fact there are three grades. We certainly have players at the club for 10+ years that start in thirds, make the jump to ressies and firsts and then back down again in their last few years.
    You don?t build these club foundations overnight. It?s no surprises that the clubs that really focus on this kind of structure are regularly finishing in the top half of the tables.

There most certainly needs to be promotion and relegation between the top two divisions.
    And there also needs to be an option for zone league clubs that wish to make the jump up, to do so in the appropriate way. Forcing clubs to go up that don?t have the infrastructure, man power or that particular ambition is not the way to do it.

Laugh all you want, but the only embarrassing thing are the comments coming from people who literally have no idea.
    It's football, not s***er!!

Sounds like you are extremely jealous of how good a club Dudley is, how embarrassing

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Nothing embarrassing about the letter sent. Your comment is what I would guess very uneducated and one from someone who hasn?t ever been involved with the running of a football club.
    It?s not a matter of being scared of the competition on the field, it?s everything that else that comes with making the jump up to the two premier divisions. Dudley and Suns are two similar clubs in a lot of ways. We have had consistent on field and off field success due to the fact we provide an environment for players who are wanting to take a step back from the commitments required in the top two divisions. Somewhere that young players who have a connection with the club to come up and through the ranks. Somewhere that good club people can remain at for a long time due to the fact there are three grades. We certainly have players at the club for 10+ years that start in thirds, make the jump to ressies and firsts and then back down again in their last few years.
    You don?t build these club foundations overnight. It?s no surprises that the clubs that really focus on this kind of structure are regularly finishing in the top half of the tables.

There most certainly needs to be promotion and relegation between the top two divisions.
    And there also needs to be an option for zone league clubs that wish to make the jump up, to do so in the appropriate way. Forcing clubs to go up that don?t have the infrastructure, man power or that particular ambition is not the way to do it.

Laugh all you want, but the only embarrassing thing are the comments coming from people who literally have no idea.
    Assuming people have no idea because they disagree with you says more about your narrow minded persona than anything else.
    The reason why you chest beat about success is because you like beating down on smaller clubs and whilst not scared to go up you choose the easier option.
    The jump up isnt going to ruin your club but you wont have success and you wont handle that. And since you are so great your players wouldnt have to "train" more or put in a whole lot more to be competitive in 2nd div.
    You dont need 3 divs to stay at a club or get young people to stay for a long time at a club G Suburb is a good example. You can have AA fri night or Sat.
    I hear a lot of excuses but in reality you prefer my point 2 than anything else. No respect for your club from me on that note.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newysports2.0 View Post
    The name is obviously a pisstake if you can’t tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    the pisstake is on, who would call themselves after a pedo.....