Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Australia Cup 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    I understand perfectly, but the conversation is never ending. And it’s only become relevant for people to talk about because Croatia who have been hot favourites to be promoted the last two seasons, have finished second.
    In years gone by, the conversation was always around the promoted team struggling. Now we want to double the teams coming up?

The whole promotion discussion is evidently one that’s difficult for everyone to agree on. But you are right, this isn’t the thread for it.
    It's pretty obvious that alot of zl1 clubs don't want a few of the zl2 clubs up especially Croatia. Why bring another decent club up that will actually challenge the top half? Time to stop having a boys club and open the division up.

I'm sure alot of clubs were happy for Cardiff to stay up, some probably pushed for it. Funny thing is that Cardiff are looking decent this year. Whilst Azzurri, westlakes and swansea are all going backwards without the risk of relegation as Minmi look terrible.

What do you class as terrible? i wouldve thought westlakes conceeding 10+ in all grades against suns would be the definition of that.

Quote Originally Posted by riverboy View Post
    It's pretty obvious that alot of zl1 clubs don't want a few of the zl2 clubs up especially Croatia. Why bring another decent club up that will actually challenge the top half? Time to stop having a boys club and open the division up.

I'm sure alot of clubs were happy for Cardiff to stay up, some probably pushed for it. Funny thing is that Cardiff are looking decent this year. Whilst Azzurri, westlakes and swansea are all going backwards without the risk of relegation as Minmi look terrible.
    Zero issues with Croatia. Plenty of mates over there and they've built a strong squad and I hope they do finish top because I think they will add a lot to ZL1. I don't know why people wouldn't want to see Croatia battle it out in ZL1.

The point I'm making is that I don't think changing to 2 up, 2 down is the best long term solution. As I mentioned, just 2 or 3 years ago, all the talk was about the repeated struggles of the promoted team. ZL2 is in a bit of a purple patch right now with some ambitious clubs which is great for the Zone Leagues. But I think you need to do things gradually.
    I believe Cardiff were very lucky with how things transpired last year and they have reacted accordingly. No clubs were consulted about the promotion or relegation of other clubs, so that statement of clubs pushing to keep Cardiff up is a bit of a stretch.
    I have no doubts that the strongest club from ZL2 will come up and have high hopes of shaking things up in 2025. It's going to be interesting to watch it play out.
    It's football, not s***er!!

Round 5

Croatia v Kotara
    Cooks Hill v Olympic
    Magic v Lakes
    Cessnock/Adamstown v Jaffas
    Maitland v Charlestown
    Edgy v Valo

Zero issues with Croatia. Plenty of mates over there and they've built a strong squad and I hope they do finish top because I think they will add a lot to ZL1. I don't know why people wouldn't want to see Croatia battle it out in ZL1.

The point I'm making is that I don't think changing to 2 up, 2 down is the best long term solution. As I mentioned, just 2 or 3 years ago, all the talk was about the repeated struggles of the promoted team. ZL2 is in a bit of a purple patch right now with some ambitious clubs which is great for the Zone Leagues. But I think you need to do things gradually.
    I believe Cardiff were very lucky with how things transpired last year and they have reacted accordingly. No clubs were consulted about the promotion or relegation of other clubs, so that statement of clubs pushing to keep Cardiff up is a bit of a stretch.
    I have no doubts that the strongest club from ZL2 will come up and have high hopes of shaking things up in 2025. It's going to be interesting to watch it play out.
    2 clubs will go up next year anyway as 1 will go up to NL1, correct?

Or do they promote a side up and keep the spoon placed side? I havent seen any info to work it out yet but i havent exactly looked super hard for answers

Last in NL1 is supposed to join ZL1 and first in ZL1 is supposed to go up to NL1.
    It's one up, one down from top to bottom, but the play-off scenario is only between the two Northern comps.

NL1 has only 9 teams so I doubt it will be 1 up and 1 down.

Last in NL1 is supposed to join ZL1 and first in ZL1 is supposed to go up to NL1.
    It's one up, one down from top to bottom, but the play-off scenario is only between the two Northern comps.
    I just looked at NNSW competition structure, it appears there is an oversight. The winners from ZL1 don't appear to be replaced in the structure.

It states 1 team goes up from ZL1 , 1 team is relegated into Zl2 and 1 team comes up from ZL2. That would leave 11 teams, opps....

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    I just looked at NNSW competition structure, it appears there is an oversight. The winners from ZL1 don't appear to be replaced in the structure.

It states 1 team goes up from ZL1 , 1 team is relegated into Zl2 and 1 team comes up from ZL2. That would leave 11 teams, opps....
    There seems to be plenty of questions around it all still.
    It would be great if northern actually reached out to clubs in ZL1 and ZL2 to find out which clubs have the structures set up and ambitions to go beyond ZL1.
    There’s zero consultation or communication. Clubs are just being told what to do rather than being given a voice.

It would be great if northern actually reached out to clubs in ZL1 and ZL2 to find out which clubs have the structures set up and ambitions to go beyond ZL1.
    There?s zero consultation or communication. Clubs are just being told what to do rather than being given a voice.
    Are the Suns prepared to go up if they finish top of the pile this season?

There’s zero consultation or communication. Clubs are just being told what to do rather than being given a voice.
    TBF, Northern have said that they will sit down with the clubs that are likely to be in the mix for promotion mid season and discuss what is required. Makes sense. Why engage with every ZL club now? No point. Best to wait until the contenders are becoming obvious.

Definitely no relegation from League One this year. As per Northern site below:

The team that finishes ninth in HIT 106.9 Northern League One will not be relegated to Zone League One at the end of 2024 due to the current bye. Relegation from HIT 106.9 Northern League One will commence from the 2025 season. But the team that finishes first in Zone League One in 2024 will be promoted to HIT 106.9 Northern League One to make a 10-team league in 2025.

There will remain five-team finals series’ in the Zone Football League, with a straight one club up/one club down promotion-relegation model to come into effect between Northern League One, Zone League One, Zone League Two and Zone League Three.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    Definitely no relegation from League One this year. As per Northern site below:

The team that finishes ninth in HIT 106.9 Northern League One will not be relegated to Zone League One at the end of 2024 due to the current bye. Relegation from HIT 106.9 Northern League One will commence from the 2025 season. But the team that finishes first in Zone League One in 2024 will be promoted to HIT 106.9 Northern League One to make a 10-team league in 2025.

There will remain five-team finals series’ in the Zone Football League, with a straight one club up/one club down promotion-relegation model to come into effect between Northern League One, Zone League One, Zone League Two and Zone League Three.
    That is clear....But they haven't even looked at the Zone League One competition? On their model it only will have 11 teams? It doesn't explain where a 12th team comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    TBF, Northern have said that they will sit down with the clubs that are likely to be in the mix for promotion mid season and discuss what is required. Makes sense. Why engage with every ZL club now? No point. Best to wait until the contenders are becoming obvious.
    They have, but by the time that happens, there will only be maybe like 6 months to prepare for the jump. We don’t know what’s required and whether the clubs that are in contention have any hope of getting their ducks in a row.
    I’m sure it would be beneficial for northern to find out how many clubs, if any actually have ambitions to make the jump. I know not everyone on here agrees, but there is a substantial jump going from a zone league club to a premier club.
    I do think there are some clubs that would be well suited to make the jump, but I think there’s plenty that aren’t set up for it at the same time.
    The conversation needs to be had at some point, I just don’t see the point in delaying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonal Marking View Post
    Are the Suns prepared to go up if they finish top of the pile this season?
    I can’t speak on behalf of the club. That’s a collective decision to be made. There would be a bit involved in the club being able to do so.

I’ve asked the question on here a few times to see if any clubs in the zone leagues have interest in making the jump and there’s been silence. I know there’s been a bit dished out to us because I’ve made posts about being against it. But at least I’ve made comments.
    I guess the silence from all other clubs says a fair bit.

Since we are talking about it again, are there any clubs in the zone leagues that have intentions or ambitions to make the jump?

Not sure what any of this has to do with the Australia Cup.

Looks like we need a Pro/Rel thread

Quote Originally Posted by straightred88 View Post

Does anyone really care about thread classification.

Quote Originally Posted by riverboy View Post
    Does anyone really care about thread classification.
    Doesn?t look like it lol

Quote Originally Posted by straightred88 View Post

Probably, but here we are haha.

Going from what I took at the preseason meeting, I don’t think there are any clubs keen to go up. It does feel like if a club is going to be promoted, that they will be disappointed with that. Which is what the opposite feeling should be. I really don’t think forced promotion is the answer. But again, I’m curious to hear the thoughts from any other clubs.