Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: baseball

I'll be there Sunday. Prices were always going to be inflated, as per Blackmac's points.

Really looking forward to it, although I'll be catching some of my Mets games over in NY in September - even better (except they are awful and will probably lose every game I attend). Should be used to that I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    and that farking incessant wanky organ music.
    phking lol, luv the hammond

Any idea what the crowd figures have been like?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Any idea what the crowd figures have been like?
    looks very average tonight

To who??

Very few in this country

I think the interest in this country for baseball is on par with the levels of interest of the 20-20 cricket comp in Bangladesh

What a faarked sport.

Intentionally repeatedly throw the ball wide of the batter so he can't hit it to walk him to 1st base. ****ing dog act.

Have a go you ****s

Whats even worse is the time it takes to play the game and that farking incessant wanky organ music.
    Agree with most points you just said MFKS. I sometimes watch little bits of the baseball on one but only if my dad has the tv on already. My passion for baseball is very low and I'll never have the time to actively follow it like the nrl and a-league.

And yep organs belong at the church, it should be up to the fans too chant not commercial gimmicks by the club.
    Quote Originally Posted by benfathers45 View Post
    Mangoes? You should try eating it first before you hate it. I'm sure after you have tasted it, you will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    And do you have any idea how much it would have cost to bring both MLB franchises out here to play for games in the opening round of the MLB season? Airfares, accommodation and appearance fees alone would account for most of these prices. And how much it costing to convert the SCG to a baseball field and back again?
    Same deal as with the EPL teams coming out here for friendlies, except the prices are higher as these games actually mean something.
    But in saying that, I'm sure it is the MLB that want/need the promotion of spreading the game to other countries. It's the same with NFL going to England. If you don't expand, you die (see: NSL). It may cost a lot to get teams to come out, but it also costs a lot in promotion/marketing and getting a league game out here is I assume a large help in expanding the game.

Wish I bothered to look into these games earlier, would have loved to get a cheap ticket to go watch.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    I'll be there Sunday. Prices were always going to be inflated, as per Blackmac's points.

Really looking forward to it, although I'll be catching some of my Mets games over in NY in September - even better (except they are awful and will probably lose every game I attend). Should be used to that I guess....
    citi field is great, i've been a few times

mets fans are also great, probably hate their team as much as jets fans

baseball is also great live, terrible on the telly

Each team in MLB plays around 160 games per season. The average attendance to these games is around 30,000.
    For each team that comes to more than 2 million people through the gates per season.

It's not a sport. Baseball is a way of life.

2million.
    What's the us population?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    But in saying that, I'm sure it is the MLB that want/need the promotion of spreading the game to other countries. It's the same with NFL going to England. If you don't expand, you die (see: NSL). It may cost a lot to get teams to come out, but it also costs a lot in promotion/marketing and getting a league game out here is I assume a large help in expanding the game.

Wish I bothered to look into these games earlier, would have loved to get a cheap ticket to go watch.
    Can you enlighten us as to what these issues were that cost the NSL its survival in relation to a lack of expansion WLG??

By my counts they were constantly expanding every year into new markets and nothing ever stayed the same year to year
    By my rough counts there would be what 40 or more clubs who have played/folded in the NSL

Hanshin Tigers (they play just out of Osaka). Dead set epic night, crowd was mental.
    They are like the Cubs in MLB (rubbish, cursed etc).
    Am with Q. Baseball is pretty much 2nd to football as far as atmosphere is concerned.

Edit: maybe Euro basketball is as we'll but I've never seen live. Crowds seem legit bonkers though.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Also: apparently it was $4million just to convert the field from cricket-baseball-cricket.

That's probably a good place to start when you're wondering about ticket prices SD.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    2million.
    What's the us population?
    Innit aboot 360million?
    That's one in 6 Americans going to a Baseball game each year.

Interesting to know EPL, AFL % etc.

SUPERNERDZ, ASSEMBLE!!!!!
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Innit aboot 360million?
    That's one in 6 Americans going to a Baseball game each year.

Interesting to know EPL, AFL % etc.

SUPERNERDZ, ASSEMBLE!!!!!
    Tardball for all its failings though would have to be one of the best pound for pound at drawing crowds in relation to population

EPL isn't really a fair reflection as most Stadiums are way too small ie Man Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool could put more fans in if their grounds were say 100k capacity. Add in the fact that EPL is now also ridiculously overpriced and beyond the price range of the common man it is a little skewed

So we need to develop an algorithm that accounts for stadium size, population of nation, average household income and ticket prices.

Someone explain baseball to me, please.

I've just won tickets to the ABL this weekend and short of knowing that there should be hot dogs on sale (and maybe but scratchers...), I know nothing about it.

I've just won tickets to the ABL this weekend and short of knowing that there should be hot dogs on sale (and maybe but scratchers...), I know nothing about it.
    Just cheer when someone socks a dinger.
    OK

Really got into Baseball this Post-Season.
    Watched a few really good Giants matches. Some absolutely epic close finishes. One game they were down by 1 run. Bases loaded. 3rd Ball, 2nd Strike. Next throw was gonna decide it, guy smashes a home run.Brutal.
    Went to San Fran Giants stadium a few weeks ago, marvellous set up.

It takes a long time.
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles