Page 3 of 112 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 NBN State League Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Beppe View Post
    Im pretty sure olympics facilities are decent as is. And whats with all the hate towards olympic anyway?
    There is no hate towards Olympic,
    Just a stupid move to try and play football on a Union ground.
    It does not work, look at Cahill oval.
    I have yet to see a decent football game get played on that hard bumpy dirt Field.
    And i would be very dissapointed to see game like Olympic Vs Magic (if played on no2) get wrecked by a bumpy pitch.
    Not only will spectators hate it but imagine playing on it.

demon
    Quote Originally Posted by supa View Post
    credit where credit is due, they do have the best facilities in the region and it is a great place to watch football. if the pitch standard at the gardens was better perhaps that could be used as a neutral venue considering wallsend play in Zone League One.
    That surface would need thousands poured into it urgently and possibly for more than one season to ever be considered. ID do not play finals series games there because they have better alternatives available the Associations claim.

For Olympic I still think well done, it forced the Council to make the ground multi sport before Union could lay claims to it entirely and it shows clubs are now willing to think of options that ten years ago I doubt committees would have ever even discussed.
    Last edited by demon; 27-11-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    That surface would need thousands poured into it urgently and possibly for more than one season to ever be considered. ID do not play finals series games there because they have better alternatives available the Associations claim.

For Olympic I still think well done, it forced the Council to make the ground multi sport before Union could lay claims to it entirely and it shows clubs are now willing to think of options that ten years ago I doubt committees would have ever even discussed.
    From a source at the club,olympic were asked by n.n.s.w football to host some of their home games at no.2 sportsground,with the idea of northern apparently getting a foot in the door to be able to use the facility.I hadnt heard anything about hosting grand final there.From what i was told the first round against lakes was picked as this was the weekend before the first round of newcastle rugby union was to be held so the ground would be in good condition.Also heard northern made this the week olympic hosted the 15s games which would have ensured a bumper crowd throughout the day.Latest i have heard is that this match will actually be at darling street because apparently rugby union are now starting their competition on the same week as northern thus making the ground unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    From a source at the club,olympic were asked by n.n.s.w football to host some of their home games at no.2 sportsground,with the idea of northern apparently getting a foot in the door to be able to use the facility.I hadnt heard anything about hosting grand final there.From what i was told the first round against lakes was picked as this was the weekend before the first round of newcastle rugby union was to be held so the ground would be in good condition.Also heard northern made this the week olympic hosted the 15s games which would have ensured a bumper crowd throughout the day.Latest i have heard is that this match will actually be at darling street because apparently rugby union are now starting their competition on the same week as northern thus making the ground unavailable.
    Northern NSW Football > NHRU ..... couldnt they use their size and make Union be second fiddle and make this the home of Newcastle Football ? GF"s, rep games, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Youaskedforit View Post
    Northern NSW Football > NHRU ..... couldnt they use their size and make Union be second fiddle and make this the home of Newcastle Football ? GF"s, rep games, etc etc
    The leather patch boys have more swing in town than our 'Federation'

Quote Originally Posted by Beppe View Post
    Im pretty sure olympics facilities are decent as is. And whats with all the hate towards olympic anyway?
    You made the statement so please explain where the hate in this comment is?

Quote Originally Posted by EH9 View Post
    The leather patch boys have more swing in town than our 'Federation'
    What ashame we don't have any political pull in a region dominated by our football code. For all the good work the many many clubs of the region do, our code gets very little recognition or monetary backing. Between the council and state government they spent nearly 11Mil on No.2 with the NRU being custodians of the venue and having their offices there also.

Quote Originally Posted by Youaskedforit View Post
    How would our many clubs feel in their respective councils kicked them off and put another code on their field? I think we ought to be careful about going down this path, not to mention the fed is building a massive facility at Speers Point that we could never have fit in at the top of town. Newcastle Football has so much deadwood it's beyond belief and so many directors that do very little for the game and have no vision, make me feel like they are very self serving. In saying that Russell Henry seems to be a shining beacon of hope there...

I just simply cannot believe that the fed would be engaged in such deceptive and covert tactics to take over the facility. If they did want No.2 then why favour Olympic? Have they no teams or competitions during the summer months they could have played there? What about the Jets Youth, and Woman's teams? Why didn't they play at the venue when there is absolutely no one playing there over the summer months? I feel one game for Olympic is hardly a foot in the door when they could have played so many games over the summer. I seriously doubt a change of venue will increase crowd numbers for any team, regardless of the venue. And it would be stupid for the fed to want the venue and not want to play GF there. Once again does not make sense. And I just can't get past the fact that the Fed has planned a massive complex at Speers Point for such a long time that they would be politically isolating themselves by trying to take over other codes venues, and let's face it from my knowledge No.2 has never been a football ground. Old heads can correct me here.

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post

Sorry to say but The Gardens is a terrible place to watch anything but dogs going around the track...

How has Olympic forced an agenda onto Newcastle Council and where is the multi sport on the venue? Can you tell me just how many sports are using the facility? I have to agree with cobra, it's silly, and an attempt to muscle in on another's turf will not work, and further i believe it will diminish respect for our code. In fact we look like we are desperate to get on the field, with really zero chance of it happening. Now in reality if council allow Olympic playing rights on No.2, then council turn around and say to Olympic that another code requires their ground on the same weekend they are playing in town, what will Olympic say and do? How will they protect Darling street, and why should they leave their home? I also must mention that ten years ago Pheonix were playing on No.1, so this is nothing new from a committee, but hardly something a would consider ground breaking territory in our code...

Pheonix didnt have No1 for very long. Didnt they move to athletics?

Phoenix could play in there......Can't be much worse than Cahill "Cricket Pitch" Oval.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Phoenix could play in there......Can't be much worse than Cahill "Cricket Pitch" Oval.
    Thats right it cant be worse,
    but valo / pheonix should look for there own ground which only football is played on.
    tHat is why we should not agree (if there is something to agree on) to play any games at no2
    because all we will be doing is whinging every week about the same shit that we do about
    cahill Rugby,rugbyleague,baseball,cricket,football oval.
    Last edited by cobra23; 28-11-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Do we still have a thread with questions to David Eland? I for one would like to ask the question of whether the Fed asked Olympic to do as stated above and why maybe other teams like Pheonix were not given the opportunity.

demon
    Quote Originally Posted by nbnjet View Post
    How would our many clubs feel in their respective councils kicked them off and put another code on their field?
    I would not say mixed use has to be a negative, provided the Councils placed effective resources to maintain the grounds. All clubs of all sports struggle for facilities because it is such a duplication. Football, League & Rugby being the winter codes are all competing for small pools of funds for playing level lighting, better sheds, canteens, playing surface improvements. Ask any poor committee member who put their hand up to do grant applications how depressing a job that can be.

We all have our training facilities which each club needs but do we each need game standard facilities at every one of those? One example is Lambton... Harker Oval. What sort of facility could that have been if Football (Jaffas, Newc Football & Northern) and League (Wests & Newc League) worked together. Moved cricket to Arther Eddon, made the ground rectangular in front of the existing grand stand. Want funds, fine, take the now spare land on the far side and sell it as 2 or 3 housing blocks and pour that $600,000 into upgrading the canteen, dressing sheds and crowd shelter. Each code has it week about and Council commit to having 2 staff there to manage it, no one trains there and the qualified groundsman make the calls on washouts.

It works elsewhere, not perfectly, but how many of our current grounds and facilities are up to what we thing should be an acceptable standard?

Quote Originally Posted by nbnjet View Post
    Newcastle Football has so much deadwood it's beyond belief and so many directors that do very little for the game and have no vision, make me feel like they are very self serving. In saying that Russell Henry seems to be a shining beacon of hope there...
    I couldn't disagree about Russell, one employee whose heart is in his job. But if you don't like the directors then talk to your club president, its the clubs that vote. And I have seen the apathy at more than one club about who to vote for which might be why there is so little turn over, clubs just vote for a name the recognise. But I do have say the Wet Weather contact (Gail?) does an immense job each weekend once the rain kicks in.

The brother of my daughter's team mate at her US College is looking to trial for a NBN League or NEWFM League team, he is a goalkeeper and turns 19 on Boxing Day.

He is willing to travel from the US to attend the trials, and he understands that if successful he probably won't be paid to play.

He is e-mailing me some info about himself, which I can forward onto anyone interested.

My information is he is a very good goalkeeper.

Can anyone advise me of upcoming trails please?

I'm not going to stop trying until I see you smile Mitchy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo View Post
    The brother of my daughter's team mate at her US College is looking to trial for a NBN League or NEWFM League team, he is a goalkeeper and turns 19 on Boxing Day.

He is willing to travel from the US to attend the trials, and he understands that if successful he probably won't be paid to play.

He is e-mailing me some info about himself, which I can forward onto anyone interested.

My information is he is a very good goalkeeper.

Can anyone advise me of upcoming trails please?
    tbh most clubs have had there trials and selected there teams

so you may be out of luck!
    Novocastria Youth

DEMON; It Doesnt work anywhere else. we constantly have large surface issues from the clubs that
    share with Rugby League etc. They chew the ground up to much.
    thats why we need only football coded fields not mixed..

The Only ground That really gets a bit shite through the season other then cahill oval is Southy..
    The rest are pretty decent surfaces.
    the reason behind southy is i reckon they let to many junior games on it thats why..
    Last edited by cobra23; 30-11-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cobra23 View Post
    DEMON; It Doesnt work anywhere else. we constantly have large surface issues from the clubs that

The Only ground That really gets a bit shite through the season other then cahill oval is Southy..
    the reason behind southy is i reckon they let to many junior games on it thats why..
    you obviously didnt visit west wallsend this season, also I dont know one player who likes playing at edgeworth, its like playing on a wet sponge even when its dry

Quote Originally Posted by cobra23 View Post

you are kidding right ? maybe 3-4 games max gets played ulinga 1 with juniors, that being said, still a thousand times better then westy, cahill oval. that being said ulinga is up there with one of the better grounds. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by RedMexican View Post
    you are kidding right ? maybe 3-4 games max gets played ulinga 1 with juniors, that being said, still a thousand times better then westy, cahill oval. that being said ulinga is up there with one of the better grounds. IMO
    Ulinga is not the worst ground in newcastle, but definitely not up there with the best (IMO).
    And whats wrong with Westys Wembley!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Wise Man View Post
    Ulinga is not the worst ground in newcastle, but definitely not up there with the best (IMO).
    And whats wrong with Westys Wembley!!
    Leave Lyall Peacock out of this convo