Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 NEW FM League Thread

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar

2013 NEW FM League Thread

2013 NEW FM League Thread

demon
    The U19's competition this season in NBN and New FM will be interesting, if only for the lack of interest shown by a number of the clubs trials I saw. All New FM had quite a good turn outs which was encouraging to see and while some faces were seen a quite a few different club trials there is obviously still a desire to play with these clubs.

Adamstown seem to have a good mix, one nice young guy in their front line (if lacking a little vision at times). A solid back line if they play 4 at the back, one being a younger kid who if he comes out of his shell a little could dominate many other forwards physically and reading the play. Midfield was a little weak BUT I will qualify that by noting across the park they are a new team still to learn to play together. I don't think will be as dominant as last season but should be semi finalists.

BelSwans I didn't see any of, simply because of clashes with clubs closer to home.

Cessnock will again be at a similar postion to recent years, nothing overly exciting but a competitive side none the less. Goals against will be so important for them in terms of keeping the total low and consistantly so.

Maitland will again be the benchmark in this competition. I think they continue at this age to draw on a major strength. Being at this age many still rely on parents for transport which gives them a good drawing area. What I think will be the question for them is how many of their first choices actually line up with then come early Feb as their were faces popping up around other clubs also.

Singleton, no offence guys but I just didn't want to drive all that way to watch. Simialr to Cessnock I'm going to imagine probably just outside the mix for that 4th spot for the semi's.

Thornton now this was impressive for off the field reasons, this club is really making an effort in its own community to find good players, bring players back into football and then look outside. Do I think they will be in the semis.... no, but I can see them being a side that does impact the semi's by who they take points away from during the season. I can see other coaches looking back come late Aug and thinking "if only we got up against Thornton". They may not win a great many more games than last season but should improve on the 3W/3D/15L from last season.

Toronto could go either way, talking to a few parents around the grounds a number from that area of the Lake were not just willing to trial for them alone as may have done in years gone by. Until registrations are actually completed this squad (I certainly hope doesn't) but could see some forced changes as other NBN and New Fm sides actually finalise registrations in Jan.

Westy...... these guys are my dark horses for the season. Both 19's and 23's it appears are turning over numbers from last season (some leaving, some not reselected and some moving from 19 to 23's). But what I saw was a core number of Westy guys still there and some very nice pick ups from other clubs. In their back line they will be quite mobile and they will benefit from having 3 of their new numbers coming stright from the same side at Cardiff last season. One deciding factor could be the club policy of selecting on form.... if 23's don't perform the irony could be an 19's season disrupted due to no fault of their own by seeing players moving up and down grades.

Pre-season still to come and I am going to be interested to see what clubs actually get to sign those they believe they have selected, but based on what I saw my guess for the U19's table will be:

Maitland
    Adamstown
    Westy
    Cessnock
    Toronto
    Singelton
    Belswans
    Thornton

What I found disheartening at some of those clubs and more so at NBN 17 and 19's trials than NEW FM was the lack of interest shown by the coaches in those kids trialling. Edgeworth U19's was close to a disgrace, split into 3 games only 1 of the 3 'coaches' actually watched they players in front of him while the other 2 chatted between themselves (and at time another club official). One players was actually on the ground injured for nearly 3 mins before either of those 2 noticed. To his credit the other coach was what you would hope for, attentive, instucting players with 2-3 words, changing positions and formations. Edgie were by far not the only club but just the most obvious.

On two great positives 1) while I certainly didn't hear all coaches or every player be told they were not selected I have to give well deserved credit to both Adamstown and Westy coaching staff here. Players were spoken to one on one away from the groups, spoken to as adults and in a positive way about what they did right but also what they needed to improve in.

And 2) to Maitland, Thornton and again Adamstown and Westy it was good to see the whole (or close to) coaching staff of each club being involved. It certainly gives players (and many coming into the senior level for the first time) the trust and belIEf they are in a club atmosphere and no longer just a single team.
    Last edited by demon; 23-11-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Spot on with your call on Thornton and Toronto, Thornton is going great guns, with their coaching staff, and their involvement with the community up there, you will find there 19s will be alot higher.

Toronto, well, you only have to look on a thread in here where someone named the whole squad , for whatever reason, where some of the kids that turned up to trial for U17, have been promised u19, so you would hope they going to be high up, naming a squad already in a public forum. Not many newfm teams could boast a finalised squad in early november.

I'm not going to stop trying until I see you smile Mitchy's Avatar
    Was at maitland trials, they will kill that comp.
    Novocastria Youth

Totally off the cuff, would this idea have any merits ? At the end of the season, why dont the winners of NBN and NEWFM square off in a one off game, playing for say The premiers Cup, with the winners of Newfm to host the day, to help them kickstart there entry to NBN.

eg : 1st Hamilton Olympic v Adamstown
    23s Magic v Belswans
    19s Azzuri v Maitland

At Adamstown Oval

Week after the GF, either money goes to charity or like i said to the winner of NewFM. Just an Idea.

Going to be an interesting year in 19s NEWFM next year...

Thorntn: Like everyone else has said, they will continue to improve. Can imagine that Mcallister will have an extremely positive impact on their 19s team. Very young squad so enthusiasm and fitness won't be an issue. Experience will be their main issue. McKenna their blonde centre back will be key for them if they are to push further up the table. Prediction: 7th

Cessnock: Thought they had a very good year last year. Once gain they will be there or thereabouts at the end of the year, but their leaky defense will obviously be an issue. One issue I have found with cessnock's 19s over the years is that they have a thug mentality...that needs to change if they are to push any higher up the table. Prediction: 5th

Singleton: Had a great strt to last season but seemed to Lack consistency, losing seemingly easy games against teams like Toronto and Thornton. once again I think they can push towards semis, however losing players to higher grades could be an issue later in the season. Prediction: 4th

Maitland: Confidence will e high as they had a great 2012 season and IMO were the est team In the comp despite their grand final loss. Their two mdfielders from last year (can't remember their names) we're amazing all year and if thy yay in the under 19s comp should help them to a minor premiership. Have heard they have recruited a lot of younger players from Weston 17s which is interesting. Prediction: 1st

demon
    Having seen West Wallsend surface this last weekend many teams could be in for a pleasent surprise come the competition 2013.

How much difference a few months can make, not a bare patch of soil to be seen, good depth of grass and roots. For those who saw the Lake Mac V Westy game in the last round this year that will sound near a miracle.

Who ever is spending their time out there at present is doing a wonderful job. Watching a full field semi serious game the ball played quite nicely along the surface and compared to many grounds at present had been thoughtfully well watered prior to their training to keep a soft underfoot for players to run on.

Could now be a big decision come the new year for the club. LMCC had the ground listed to be dug up and rye grass sown as a winter surface (and suprisingly the Council were going to do a proper job too. For those who have seen the 2013 draw that is why there is such a gap where Westy were playing away early in the season.Soil testing, fertiliser, regular care etc) but if the current grass continues to improve it could be tempting to leave it as is.

Saw on another thread that the nbn league draw has been released. Anyone found a copy of the 2013 NEWFM draw?

The 19's at Toronto will struggle, lost a majority of the squad to other clubs including West Wallsend, Thornton and other NBN clubs. From what I hear there is only two players left from last years squad signed to the under 19's team, with the rest made up of the under 17a team from 2012 who were disappointing and struggled in a fairly straight forward league. Can confirm that two players from the 15a Toronto team have signed for the 19's which is a positive for the club as youth is the key for success.

Under 17A team had 3-4 players capable of playing NEWFM, that's about it though. With no disrespect intended, the only game I saw, they struggled to dispatch a team with 5-6 girls (2 were reasonably good, but the other few were just for fun). If the "majority" were from this team... I agree with Heskey, they will struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Under 17A team had 3-4 players capable of playing NEWFM, that's about it though. With no disrespect intended, the only game I saw, they struggled to dispatch a team with 5-6 girls (2 were reasonably good, but the other few were just for fun). If the "majority" were from this team... I agree with Heskey, they will struggle.
    Probably the ones that chose to stay with their coach and play U17/A again at Toronto Juniors, which is interesting, how are the seniors and the juniors entering a team in the 17A"s

Apparently the ones playing for the seniors, wont be allowed on Finnan Oval, so not sure where they are playing.

demon
    Quote Originally Posted by david silva View Post
    Saw on another thread that the nbn league draw has been released. Anyone found a copy of the 2013 NEWFM draw?
    David, this is what I know of so far, the Rounds are set but days (Sat or Sun) may change at clubs requests for functions etc:

2013 Premier Competition Season:

State Cup - NBN / NEWFM pool
    Round 1. Saturday 9th /Sunday 10th March
    Round 2. Wednesday 3rd April
    Round 3. Wednesday 1st May
    Round 4. Wednesday 29th May
    Final Series Saturday 13th / Sunday 14th July

Charity Shield
    Sunday 24th March **** Please note that trial games for clubs not competing in the Charity Shield will be permitted for this weekend.

FFA / NNSWF Coaching Conference
    Saturday 9th / Sunday 10th February **** Please note that NO trial games will be sanctioned for this weekend.

Season Draw

ROUND 1
    Sunday 17 March Maitland FC V Belmont Swansea Utd SC Cooks Square Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 17 March West Wallsend SFC V Singleton SC Varley Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 17 March Cessnock City FC V Thornton Red backs FC Turner Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 17 March Adamstown Rosebud FC V Toronto Awaba FC Adamstown Oval 2.30pm

ROUND 2
    Saturday 23 March Toronto Awaba FC V Thornton Red backs FC Lyall Peacock Field 2.30pm
    Saturday 23 March Belmont Swansea Utd SC V Adamstown Rosebud FC Blacksmiths Oval 4.00pm
    Sunday 24 March Cessnock City FC V Singleton SC Turner Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 24 March West Wallsend SFC V Maitland FC Varley Park 2.30pm

ROUND 3
    Friday 29 March Belmont Swansea Utd SC V West Wallsend SFC Blacksmiths Oval 4.00pm
    Sunday 31 March Maitland FC V Cessnock City FC Cooks Square Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 31 March Singleton SC V Toronto Awaba FC Howe Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 31 March Thornton Redbacks FC V Adamstown Rosebud FC Thornton Park 2.30pm

ROUND 4
    Saturday 6 April Adamstown Rosebud FC V Singleton SC Adamstown Oval 2.30pm
    Sunday 7 April Toronto Awaba FC V Maitland FC Lyall Peacock Field 2.30pm
    Sunday 7 April Thornton Redbacks FC V Belmont Swansea Utd SC Thornton Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 7 April Cessnock City FC V West Wallsend SFC Turner Park 2.30pm

ROUND 5
    Saturday 13 April Thornton Redbacks FC V Toronto Awaba FC Thornton Park 6.00pm
    Sunday 14 April Singleton SC V Cessnock City FC Howe Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 14 April Maitland FC V West Wallsend SFC Cooks Square Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 14 April Adamstown Rosebud FC V Belmont Swansea Utd SC Adamstown Oval 2.30pm

ROUND 6
    Saturday 20 April Singleton SC V Belmont Swansea Utd SC Howe Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 21 April Thornton Redbacks FC V Maitland FC Thornton Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 21 April Adamstown Rosebud FC V West Wallsend SFC Adamstown Oval 2.30pm
    Sunday 21 April Toronto Awaba FC V Cessnock City FC Lyall Peacock Field 2.30pm

ROUND 7
    Sunday 28 April Maitland FC V Singleton SC Cooks Square Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 28 April Cessnock City FC V Adamstown Rosebud FC Turner Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 28 April West Wallsend SFC V Thornton Redbacks FC Varley Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 28 April Belmont Swansea Utd SC V Toronto Awaba FC Blacksmiths Oval 2.30pm

ROUND 8
    Sunday 5 May Belmont Swansea Utd SC V Maitland FC Blacksmiths Oval 2.30pm
    Sunday 5 May Singleton SC V West Wallsend SFC Howe Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 5 May Thornton Redbacks FC V Cessnock City FC Thornton Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 5 May Toronto Awaba FC V Adamstown Rosebud FC Lyall Peacock Field 2.30pm

ROUND 9
    Saturday 11 May Singleton SC V Thornton Redbacks FC Howe Park 2.30pm
    Saturday 11 May Belmont Swansea Utd SC V Cessnock City FC Blacksmiths Oval 2.30pm
    Saturday 11 May West Wallsend SFC V Toronto Awaba FC Varley Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 12 May Maitland FC V Adamstown Rosebud FC Cooks Square Park 2.30pm

ROUND 10
    Saturday 18 May Adamstown Rosebud FC V Thornton Redbacks FC Adamstown Oval 2.30pm
    Sunday 19 May Cessnock City FC V Maitland FC Turner Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 19 May Toronto Awaba FC V Singleton SC Lyall Peacock Field 2.30pm
    Sunday 19 May West Wallsend SFC V Belmont Swansea Utd SC Varley Park 2.30pm

ROUND 11
    Saturday 25 May Belmont Swansea Utd SC V Thornton Redbacks FC Blacksmiths Oval 2.30pm
    Sunday 26 May Maitland FC V Toronto Awaba FC Cooks Square Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 26 May West Wallsend SFC V Cessnock City FC Varley Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 26 May Singleton SC V Adamstown Rosebud FC Howe Park 2.30pm

ROUND 12
    Sunday 2 June Adamstown Rosebud FC V Maitland FC Adamstown Oval 2.30pm
    Sunday 2 June Thornton Redbacks FC V Singleton SC Thornton Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 2 June Toronto Awaba FC V West Wallsend SFC Lyall Peacock Field 2.30pm
    Sunday 2 June Cessnock City FC V Belmont Swansea Utd SC Turner Park 2.30pm

ROUND 13
    Saturday 8 June Belmont Swansea Utd SC V Singleton SC Blacksmiths Oval 2.30pm
    Sunday 9 June Maitland FC V Thornton Redbacks FC Cooks Square Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 9 June West Wallsend SFC V Adamstown Rosebud FC Varley Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 9 June Cessnock City FC V Toronto Awaba FC Turner Park 2.30pm

ROUND 14
    Saturday 15 June Singleton SC V Maitland FC Howe Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 16 June Adamstown Rosebud FC V Cessnock City FC Adamstown Oval 2.30pm
    Sunday 16 June Thornton Redbacks FC V West Wallsend SFC Thornton Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 16 June Toronto Awaba FC V Belmont Swansea Utd SC Lyall Peacock Field 2.30pm

ROUND 15
    Saturday 22 June Adamstown Rosebud FC V Toronto Awaba FC Adamstown Oval 2.30pm
    Sunday 23 June Maitland FC V Belmont Swansea Utd SC Cooks Square Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 23 June Singleton SC V West Wallsend SFC Howe Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 23 June Thornton Redbacks FC V Cessnock City FC Thornton Park 2.30pm

ROUND 16
    Saturday 29 June Toronto Awaba FC V Thornton Redbacks FC Lyall Peacock Field 2.30pm
    Sunday 30 June Cessnock City FC V Singleton SC Turner Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 30 June West Wallsend SFC V Maitland FC Varley Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 30 June Belmont Swansea Utd SC V Adamstown Rosebud FC Blacksmiths Oval 2.30pm

ROUND 17
    Saturday 6 July Singleton SC V Toronto Awaba FC Howe Park 2.30pm
    Saturday 6 July Thornton Redbacks FC V Adamstown Rosebud FC Thornton Park 6.00pm
    Sunday 7 July Maitland FC V Cessnock City FC Cooks Square Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 7 July Belmont Swansea Utd SC V West Wallsend SFC Blacksmiths Oval 2.30pm

State Cup Finals
    Saturday 13 July Sunday 14 July

ROUND 18 State Cup Finals
    Sunday 21 July Maitland FC V Singleton SC Cooks Square Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 21 July Cessnock City FC V Adamstown Rosebud FC Turner Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 21 July West Wallsend SFC V Thornton Redbacks FC Varley Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 21 July Belmont Swansea Utd SC V Toronto Awaba FC Blacksmiths Oval 2.30pm

ROUND 19
    Sunday 28 July Adamstown Rosebud FC V Singleton SC Adamstown Oval 2.30pm
    Sunday 28 July Toronto Awaba FC V Maitland FC Lyall Peacock Field 2.30pm
    Sunday 28 July Thornton Redbacks FC V Belmont Swansea Utd SC Thornton Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 28 July Cessnock City FC V West Wallsend SFC Turner Park 2.30pm

ROUND 20
    Saturday 3 August Singleton SC V Thornton Redbacks FC Howe Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 4 August West Wallsend SFC V Toronto Awaba FC Varley Park 2.30pm
    Sunday 4 August Belmont Swansea Utd SC V Cessnock City FC Blacksmiths Oval 2.30pm
    Sunday 4 August Maitland FC V Adamstown Rosebud FC Cooks Square Park 2.30pm

ROUND 21
    Saturday 10 August Singleton SC V Belmont Swansea Utd SC Howe Park 2.30PM
    Saturday 10 August Toronto Awaba FC V Cessnock City FC Lyall Peacock Field 2.30PM
    Sunday 11 August Thornton Redbacks FC V Maitland FC Thornton Park 2.30PM
    Sunday 11 August Adamstown Rosebud FC V West Wallsend SFC Adamstown Oval 2.30PM

SEMI FINAL - 1st LEG
    Saturday 17 August 4 V 1 3.00pm
    Sunday 18 August 3 V 2 3.00pm
    SEMI FINAL - 2nd LEG "'IM
    Saturday 24 August 2 V 3 3.00pm
    Sunday 25 August 1 V 4 3.00pm
    GRAND FINAL
    Sunday 1 September 3.00pm

I beg to differ on the 17A. dissapointing??? and how did they struggle from what i sore and heard they made it to the Semis. And should 15 yr old boys be playing 19's i would think 17's not 19's.

Quote Originally Posted by She Devil View Post
    I beg to differ on the 17A. dissapointing??? and how did they struggle from what i sore and heard they made it to the Semis. And should 15 yr old boys be playing 19's i would think 17's not 19's.
    I watched the Toronto 15a team several times this season including a semi and Grand final, there were at least half a dozen boys who would walk straight into any u17 nbn team, one boy in particular would be right at home playing 19s but found out he was only 14 and playing up a grade, quality centre back for his age, unfortunately their coach has told most of the mums and dads to stick with him so they can win another grand final in the u16s, when are junior coaches going to wake up to the fact its not all about them, their job is to promote these boys to the best competition available

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    I watched the Toronto 15a team several times this season including a semi and Grand final, there were at least half a dozen boys who would walk straight into any u17 nbn team, one boy in particular would be right at home playing 19s but found out he was only 14 and playing up a grade, quality centre back for his age, unfortunately their coach has told most of the mums and dads to stick with him so they can win another grand final in the u16s, when are junior coaches going to wake up to the fact its not all about them, their job is to promote these boys to the best competition available
    I'm sure a year in 16s will be a stern test for them , as I'd imagine some 15 elites will be in this comp next year , so they may get a shock, but will be good for them, and they'll be ready to be vultured in 2014

demon
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    when are junior coaches going to wake up to the fact its not all about them, their job is to promote these boys to the best competition available
    I agree in part, truthfully, that exact same phrase has to be directed to senior clubs/coaches about their own roles too.

If senior coaches (and by that I mean U17, 19's and 23's) coaches are serious about their own roles in their area (and not just the one junior club with the same name, and many not even that small involvement) they would be known to those teams anyway.

One training session a weak split over 3-4 local junior clubs in that 14-16 age group and they would have the knowledge of the players and the parents to talk to them and not just be seen as a senior coach trying to 'steal' the best juniors.

Put yourself in a 15 year old parents spot, a coach your kid played with successfully for 4-5 years or a stranger who coaches 2 or 3 years above your childs age. Whose advice are most parents going to give weight to?

Senior coaches have to earn the respect of the junior coaches, parents and players first, not the reverse.

This was put into action four years ago out toronto way involving Toronto, westlakes and morissett and ended up falling in to a hole along with alot of other things that used to happen as a ritual out there.

Anyway.....

Maitland 19s and Azzuri 19s played out a 3-3 draw this morning at bero

demon
    Any idea of what the game was like David or just the score?

FYI the 19's team of Toronto last year, from what I saw played the best football in the league, just didn't get the results warranted.

They have lost a majority of there better more experienced players to NBN, other NEW FM clubs and the Toronto ZPL3 team, it can also can be confirmed that one of there better young players will be moved into under 23's or first grade. With the players I have seen on that roster for the 19's all I can say that not getting the wooden spoon would be an achievement as the quality and experience there is lacking.

Predictions 19's

Adamstown
    Maitland
    West Wallsend
    Belswans
    Cessnock
    Thornton
    Singleton
    Toronto Awaba.