Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Zone Premier League Thread

Barnsley Bulldogs pre season will start on tuesday 29th jan at 6pm at our home ground, any new players are more then welcome to come along and have a run. Were looking to be very competitive again this year, building on back to back promotions and looking to be up there again. We have a new coaching staff and are very keen to get this season off to a good start.

who's coachin out there Bdog ?
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    who's coachin out there Bdog ?
    Head coach this year Sam Griffin, only a young coach but very much suited to the club we are building! With or average age of our squad being around 24, we have a good foundation to become very strong over the next few years. And the coaches for the other grades/assistants are not finalised yet so can't announce anything there, but I do know we have had a bit of interest in them so will be sorted in the very near future.

Are very excited to see how we go in this grade this year! Just want it to start already

How are the other teams looking from last year, have heard rumours of a few teams picking a number of strong signings, any predictions yet

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogs 1962 View Post
    How are the other teams looking from last year, have heard rumours of a few teams picking a number of strong signings, any predictions yet
    Sounds like you know some, care to share?

Quote Originally Posted by oneeye View Post
    Sounds like you know some, care to share?
    Well I stress they are all rumours, but as stated brfore mayfield have signed majority of jaffas 23's from last year, plattsy have made a few signings to strengthen there squad and Dudley have signed a good bunch of players from azzuri (also told these were 1st graders). We ourselves have added a few new players to the squad but are very happy with the team we have built over the last two years, with 1st's losing only 2 game and res losing only 4, in the past two seasons

Judging by the responses I have had their must be a wealth of GK talent in Newcastle, but if anyone (NEW FM or ZPL) needs one PM me.

Wandered out and watched mayfield v suburbs today, game was pretty scrappy, definitely looked like the first run of the season for both teams with suburbs taking the spoils 1-0 through a pen after mayfield missed one early on.

Wandered out and watched mayfield v suburbs today, game was pretty scrappy, definitely looked like the first run of the season for both teams with suburbs taking the spoils 1-0 through a pen after mayfield missed one early on.
    Aren't Mayfield full of ex Jaffas 23's?
    Interesting result regardless of being first run of the year or not!

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    Aren't Mayfield full of ex Jaffas 23's?
    Interesting result regardless of being first run of the year or not!
    I thought that was the case myself, but if the boys who played in this game are the ones who did that for the jaffas u23 last year then the newfm U23 comp need to take a hard look at itself! They were beaten by a suburbs team who didn't play there best but still were good for the win

I thought that was the case myself, but if the boys who played in this game are the ones who did that for the jaffas u23 last year then the newfm U23 comp need to take a hard look at itself! They were beaten by a suburbs team who didn't play there best but still were good for the win
    pretty sure the quality overall of the new fm U23's and U19's is in general quite poor to be honest. no offence intended, but there are some boys playing in those comps that just should not be, but are due to lack of numbers and competition at different clubs

Did they look like a young team? I suppose newfm 23s isn't the strongest and alot of people under estimate the level of ZPL. (I know suburbs are in ZL1 but from what I saw last year were way ahead of the pack with Barnsley and suns... Probably ZPL quality)

They werent full of young guys but there a few, i was still expecting a bit better showing from a team that is rumoured to be strong this year. and i totally agree with suburbs being a very strong zl1 team, but they were no way at there best and still were pretty confortable

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate soldier View Post
    pretty sure the quality overall of the new fm U23's and U19's is in general quite poor to be honest. no offence intended, but there are some boys playing in those comps that just should not be, but are due to lack of numbers and competition at different clubs
    Two points:

1. Anyone that knows football or has played the game knows that pre-season friendly matches is about fitness , shape and promoting new players , new structure etc ..............Results are not important at all and any decent coach will tell you that

2. Like any league the ZPL will always have players that would be a great addition to leagues above them and some people play at the ZPL level purely due to work or family commitments or unable to commit to training but to say that the overall standard of the under 23s and 19s of Newfm is poor is laughable and clearly taken from having no knowledge of that league. Jaffas 23s in particular were outstanding last year and would have wiped the floor with all ZPL first grade teams as would lilely have Maitlands 23s and Adamstowns 23s.

Quote Originally Posted by Keep the long balls short View Post
    Two points:

1. Anyone that knows football or has played the game knows that pre-season friendly matches is about fitness , shape and promoting new players , new structure etc ..............Results are not important at all and any decent coach will tell you that

2. Like any league the ZPL will always have players that would be a great addition to leagues above them and some people play at the ZPL level purely due to work or family commitments or unable to commit to training but to say that the overall standard of the under 23s and 19s of Newfm is poor is laughable and clearly taken from having no knowledge of that league. Jaffas 23s in particular were outstanding last year and would have wiped the floor with all ZPL first grade teams as would lilely have Maitlands 23s and Adamstowns 23s.
    i said the overall standard in case u didnt read that part
    i reckon you would find a few ZPL teams that would not agree with your comment about wiping the floor with them, but hey, after all this is only opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by Keep the long balls short View Post
    Two points:

to say that the overall standard of the under 23s and 19s of Newfm is poor is laughable and clearly taken from having no knowledge of that league. Jaffas 23s in particular were outstanding last year and would have wiped the floor with all ZPL first grade teams as would lilely have Maitlands 23s and Adamstowns 23s.
    have read this 4 or 5 times and still makes me giggle.

I love how all these blokes are rating the quality of the leagues based on 1 pre-season game.

lol, carry on you donuts.

Quote Originally Posted by slobsy View Post
    I love how all these blokes are rating the quality of the leagues based on 1 pre-season game.

lol, carry on you donuts.
    And here I was thinking you were just kicking back doing the old " " like I have been, Slobsy.. Finally bitten ay? haha

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    And here I was thinking you were just kicking back doing the old " " like I have been, Slobsy.. Finally bitten ay? haha
    haha, i'm all out of popcorn, tbh
    Last edited by slobsy; 13-02-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate soldier View Post
    i said the overall standard in case u didnt read that part
    i reckon you would find a few ZPL teams that would not agree with your comment about wiping the floor with them, but hey, after all this is only opinions...
    I know you did buddy and I was not having a go at your post , just adding to it.

As I said, I aint slagging the ZPL (far from it infact). There are players in that league that could play NBN never mind Newfm but for reasons of other commitments they dont.