Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Zone League 2 Thread

True and if u bothered to actually read my original post u would see I agree lol

Pv4
    westlakes (zl2, will be zl1 after this upcoming season) have kept the same coaching staff.

Gotta lol at the o-confidence @ december last year ( this was posted in the zl1 forum).

Quote Originally Posted by roundballsarebetter View Post
    Pv4
    westlakes (zl2, will be zl1 after this upcoming season) have kept the same coaching staff.

Gotta lol at the o-confidence @ december last year ( this was posted in the zl1 forum).
    I know the Westlakes guys have a rep for making excuses and stuff but I think this one was a bit of humour. I really don't think it was an overly serious comment! Talking themselves up in a banter kind of way!

You have gone to a lot of trouble finding that comment though! Haha

Westlakes r usually quality but last night were far from Charlestown played hard and took there chances the difference was Charlie captain not giving westlakes midfield any time on the ball and Charlie's strikers one creating plenty and the other putting away his half chances

Jesmond v westlakes

Reserves 1-0
    Firsts 2-5

Westlakes 1sts striker plays first ever senior game in goals
    5 players playing two games
    jesmond claiming westlakes were so hard done by at 2-0

ops:

Jesmond line up minor premiership... AAAAAAND it's gone

Carn muddlebrook eagles

Hahahaha, pv4. Loves the wind-up!!!

All this without our coach

Quote Originally Posted by The Dreaded Keeper View Post
    Hahahaha, pv4. Loves the wind-up!!!
    Just waiting for the bite

Worth noting that Jesmond have scored three goals against Westlakes this year - two of which have been goal line controversy goals. I didn't get a good look at the one last night (from where I was it seemed like a goal, but I wasn't close enough), but two Westlakes players swear it didn't cross the line. Similar story for the one in round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post

Worth noting that Jesmond have scored three goals against Westlakes this year - two of which have been goal line controversy goals. I didn't get a good look at the one last night (from where I was it seemed like a goal, but I wasn't close enough), but two Westlakes players swear it didn't cross the line. Similar story for the one in round 1.
    the one last nite looked 50/50 from where i was on the bench but as u said those around the ball said it didnt cross the line and the linesman agreed with them.
    the one in the first round was clear no goal.
    and it also happened in our away game against them last year when a club linesman overruled the ref to allow a goal on the line, tho i think it was the right call this time.

Tenambit 1
    Mussy 5

Great win by the Eagles last night at Beryl Humble. Mussy started very nervy and Tenambit started very well, not letting us settle on the ball in the middle of the park and put us under some early pressure. We weathered the early storm but and managed to get a foothold in the game and from then there was not turning back. Started playing some really nice football out from the back, working it across the backline and created a few chances from the wide areas. Got the break-through goal eventually from a cut-back finding a late run from a midfielder who slotted it. Won a penalty not long after that but was saved by the keeper, penalties are becoming a bit of a Gypo type hoodoo for us at the minute, nearly worth sending the Dreaded Keeper up there for a crack, not until I've slotted one and got off the nud run but Created a few more chances before half-time, hit the post with one which I have been informed got a slight touch from the keeper, and if that is the case was a really top save! Half time 1-0 to the Brook.

Second half we came out firing controlling play early on and pinching the second goal. The ref then spent 15-20 minutes trying his absolutel best to spoil a decent game of football, leaving players on both sides scratching their heads at some of his calls. This suited Tenambit slightly more than us but, with most of the calls going their way and they had a few decent set piece opportunities. They eventually got a goal, which was a very tidy piece of work from their skipper. Our striker claimed after the game "lazy defending" but being close to incident, my opinion is it was just quality. The touch to turn our defender was unreal, and he slotted it calmly with our keep charging out at him. Our CB was done by a good bit of skill, as if he was marking the guy any tighter, it would have been a pen. Have to feel for a Tenambit a bit as that just seemed to stir up the hornets nest. After letting them back in at 2-1 and the poor spell we had, we got control of the game once again and our striker put 3 more away to make it 4 for him on the night (could have been 5 if not for the pen). Stoked about the result and a much, much improved performance on Uni. Happy days here up the valley!!

It's all very quiet over there at Jesmond Park....

In all seriousness but, it's going to be a very tight finish for a lot of teams. Ithink this is correct...
    Jesmond: Uni (H), Merewether (H) A possible 6 points up for grabs, which if they win both, will hope it's enough to close out the minor premiership and promotion.
    Mussy: Merewether (H), Medowie (H), Merwether (A, mid-week), Charlestown (A), Hamilton (A). A few games in hand yes, but would honestly rather points on the board. Definitely tough games ahead especially Charlestown and Hamilton away. Medowie seem to be causing a few problems for the top end at the moment as well.
    Westlakes: Tenambit (H), Uni (A) Will be looking to seal their place in the finals with these two games, but on current form who knows which way it will go. Will most likely be spurred on by last nights big win this weekend, but Uni next weekend could prove a tricky customer.
    Hamilton: Merewether (A), Muswellbrook (H) Will also be looking to seal a finals spot with these two games and as everyone knows are a very quality team and capable of beating anyone in the league. I'd assume they would love to rain on our parade as well.
    Medowie and Charlestown both still with all to play for as well. If they keep winning their games and other results go their way as well, we could be looking at one of them making a late surge for the finals. I see Uni having a bit of say in the final standings as well and they are definitely not to be taken lightly. As I said, absolutely everything to play for at the business end of the season and should be a very exciting final few weeks. Looking forward to it!

How would Jesmond or Muswelbrook go fielding a 3rd grade side next year?
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

did westlakes put in a red hot performance or were jeso a bit off last night ?

Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
    did westlakes put in a red hot performance or were jeso a bit off last night ?
    Westlakes were great last nite.
    Basically all ressies defence no keeper and played great.
    Jesmond got to 2-0 up and started the trash talk and were pretty happy with themselves. That stopped after we went into the break 3-2 up. Jesmond were on top a little after the break but couldn't break our ressies and then we got one on the counter and controlled the last 30 min

It'd be good to hear a jesmond point of view on how they were compared to normal tbh. Most people I've spoken to from most other clubs in zl2 haven't really rated jesmond too highly, and I think their low injury toll & general grind have gotten them more points than anything else.

I rate Law (?) and the small number 8 (was that goal last night intentional lol?) but tbh I've seen not much else from them. Their reserves keeper is much better than their firsts imo.

Happy to be slammed for my opinion though

It'd be good to hear a jesmond point of view on how they were compared to normal tbh. Most people I've spoken to from most other clubs in zl2 haven't really rated jesmond too highly, and I think their low injury toll & general grind have gotten them more points than anything else.

I rate Law (?) and the small number 8 (was that goal last night intentional lol?) but tbh I've seen not much else from them. Their reserves keeper is much better than their firsts imo.

Happy to be slammed for my opinion though
    i agree, but then again, they are coming 1st so it doesn't say too much about the rest of us. lol

Jesmond v Westlakes.

1st Grade.

Disappointing for us to say the least.

We saved probably our worst performance (bar Tenambit) for the best performance by an opposition team. If the Westlakes that turned up last night turn up for the rest of the year they will give this a real shake. If the Jesmond that turned up last night turn up the rest of the year might as well give our semi spot to someone else.

Game started at a frantic pace and early goal to us against the run of play followed by another from a corner (keeper/lights issue/ poor defending) gave us a false impression we were the better team. Then the reality hit. First Westlakes goal was a little unfortunate with the keeper diving to save a ball that was going wide and pushing straight into path of their striker/ midfielder who finished well. 2 minutes later big striker fired over from the 6 yard box with an empty net and about 3 minutes later spilt ball from keeper (lights again) straight to their striker and 2-2. About 5 later poor decision making with 2 defenders rushing to big Dunc leaving other striker unmarked. 2-3 to the bad guys. Half continued on along that theme of Westlakes dominating both possession and field position.

2nd half we came out and for around 10 minutes actually looked like we had woken up with a few shots blocked by desperate defenders and a few shots going just wide. 4th goal came around 15 in when defence pulled apart by the midfield leaving dunc 1 on 1 with keeper. 5th goal a comedy of airswings with about 5 in total (3 Jesmond and 2 Westlakes) before tapped in at back stick. In all honesty if both teams had on there shooting boots could of ended about 15 - 9 and not to us.

Was really impressed with both strikers and the centre midfielders from Westlakes. Was really unimpressed with the lights at Jesmond Park and some of the ridiculous cards given out to both sides for basically sliding 5 metres from players. Ref was consistent with a few strange rulings but fair both ways.

In all scoreline reflected Westlakes dominance. And just for coincidence, last time Jesmond lead a comp and looked like running away with it Westlakes turned up on a Tuesday night in 2007 and cost us that one too. (also lead that game 2-0).

Reserve Grade was a better night for us with the win putting us in with a good chance making the Semi's.

yeah the lights were pretty poor last night but thats not what caused the second goal. It was a mixture of a good cross and a striker playing his first game as keeper

agreed that the ref gave rediculous cards. i think there was maybe 1 to each side that could of deserved a card but bit of a joke when one of our players got a yellow card for unsportmanlike conduct when he starred at a player after he was fouled lol.
    you know its a great ref when even the linesman doesnt know what half the cards were for
    Last edited by true waterboy; 31-07-2013 at 06:36 PM.

If the lights are that bad in your opinion you could perhaps play the night games at Heaton as the lights are definitely heaps better......council did put newer better globes in too last week so it was actually better than what has been played under for the past couple of years. Conditions are the same for both teams which is the main thing.

This is as close as you will get to a "bite" from me as I'm happy to respond to a few points above and disagree on some, even with the opinion of those from within Jesmond.

Firstly, yes we were not good last night. At times this year, our defence as a team has gotten us away with a win when our attack as a team has been off. Vice versa, the opposite has resulted in us getting the chocolates too. Last night, both were off and hence we got our pants pulled down. We are not silly enough to think that at 2-0 we were playing Westlakes off the park because we weren't hitting any real heights and in truth, neither team did. Both goals tad lucky to put as ahead. Both teams if play anything like that will be cannon fodder for the likes of Mussy and Olympic come semi final time.

We hit the post which would have been 3-0 then had an awful 10 mins or so when conceded 3, hence down 2-3 at h/t. We missed a heap of chances, many of which were quite easy. Twice these misses were compounded by defensive mistakes at the other end within seconds which resulted in goals. There's a 4 goal turnaround just there. Although Westlakes did miss one sitter, we missed probably 6 and a few other half chances. As mentioned above, being poor at both ends on one night sees the inevitable result.

To say Westlakes "controlled" the final 30 minutes is puzzling at best. Sure as we pushed on they scored but the chances would have fallen to us 3:1. That's not controlling a game, rather being part of an extremely open game whereby your opposition didn't capitalise. I would like to ask if this comment was from a player on the pitch, reserve grader or official??? To say you played "great" well I'll leave that to you. Any time a team allows the amount of chances that both teams were gifted last night, I would be hesitant to say either played great but that's a matter of opinion.

Re: our injury situation. The truth is although we haven't been decimated, we have had our top side to choose from only against Merewether. We just choose not to cry poor and simply bring the next best player in and get on with it. Some have cemented 1st grade spots as a result.

Thanks for your thoughts on our keeper situation, it's been noted and dismissed foe what it is. We have 2 exceptional keepers (only one plays) and a young bloke who is going great guns and will be a 'keeper of first grade quality very soon if keeps improving at this rate. This will be music to the ears of the other pair as one is a "misunderstood" striker and the other has already declared wants to be on the cans by 3pm in 2014.

Most only see opposition players twice a year and I think you need to see a little more to form an educated opinion as mistakes and blinders are considered the norm if that's all you've seen. That's why blokes tend to rate players at their own club, because they see them every week and at training. We have many players I'd hate to be without, all over the park and of different ages. Some have got mention on here and some have not. One will more than likely return to the starting lineuip this week after a coach-imposed benching for poor discipline.

I'm not going to comment on our performances and goals as have tried to give a balanced opinion post match after wins, draws and losses so would be just re-hashing. I've had very few arguments, so that may be an indication that what I put forward is at the very least an attempt at a true reflection of events.

Yes we could field a third grade in 2014 but that looks to be Mussy right now with their games in hand. If so you wont hear me complaining or crying poor and will be happy to send congrats. Likewise we wont declare us certainties for 2014 should Mussy get there and opt to take the promotion.

Banter on gameday is just that and is great, but continually carrying on and crying poor on here just gets boring and one thing that is worse is bad winners. Can't you just be happy to take the points? Some need to remember that you are in a fairly direct way representing your club on here.

Anyway, congrats to Westlakes, always thought that you can be very dangerous and need to be respected which you showed going forward last night. Hopefully we can get going again on Saturday as 2 weeks off after that isn't much fun. Pick at what you wish from the above....