Page 38 of 54 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Zone League 2 Thread

A few interesting convo's going around in the other zone threads about "all-star" (for want of a better word) style teams from each division playing each other. I don't think it would ever happen but I think it could be pretty interesting on paper. I'm going to throw a possile squad out there, would be interested in knowing others opinions. Some selections may seem a little biased and I'm sure others will disagree, but again it's my humble opinion and would be interested to see who others would select.

GK: Botts (Muswellbrook), Steely (Hamilton)
    CB: Jake? (Jesmond, tall centre back with the goatee), Macca (Westlake's infamously slow CB ), Dely (Mussy #5, adds some pace to the back line)
    RWB: Gareth Bale (University, they know who he is)
    CDM: Tags (Charlestown Captain), Little Guy playing holding midfield for Uni against us until he got injured 20 mins in (no idea what his name is but he looked bloody tidy!)
    CM: Law (Jesmond)
    LWB: Redhead (Medowie's Captain)
    ST: Big Dunc (Westlakes), Hamilton's #21 *** Would genuinely love to see these two paired together ***

Bench:
    Tenambit's Captain or Hamilton's Captain (both were quality mid's and looked neat on the ball when playing against Mussy)
    Jesmond's short CB
    Fingers (Westlakes)
    Kaney (Mussy striker #9)
    Hidey (Jesmond Striker)

Attempted to get one from each team in there to represent the whole league, haven't played against Merewether yet so can't comment on them at all. Don't know many of the names either but had crack at describing them.

Anyone else keen to throw a team out there?

Quote Originally Posted by TXK View Post
    A few interesting convo's going around in the other zone threads about "all-star" (for want of a better word) style teams from each division playing each other. I don't think it would ever happen but I think it could be pretty interesting on paper. I'm going to throw a possile squad out there, would be interested in knowing others opinions. Some selections may seem a little biased and I'm sure others will disagree, but again it's my humble opinion and would be interested to see who others would select.

CB: Jake? (Jesmond, tall centre back with the goatee), Macca (Westlake's infamously slow CB ), Dely (Mussy #5, adds some pace to the back line)
    CDM: Tags (Charlestown Captain), Little Guy playing holding midfield for Uni against us until he got injured 20 mins in (no idea what his name is but he looked bloody tidy!)
    ST: Big Dunc (Westlakes), Hamilton's #21 *** Would genuinely love to see these two paired together ***

Bench:
    Tenambit's Captain or Hamilton's Captain (both were quality mid's and looked neat on the ball when playing against Mussy)
    Jesmond's short CB
    Fingers (Westlakes)
    Kaney (Mussy striker #9)
    Hidey (Jesmond Striker)

Attempted to get one from each team in there to represent the whole league, haven't played against Merewether yet so can't comment on them at all. Don't know many of the names either but had crack at describing them.

The "little uni guy" is Mitch. Lightning quick and can jump like a black man.
    "Gareth Bale" could only be Robbie I'm assuming? (self-administered monicker too, that one) Plays as more of a attacking RW though than a RWB usually yeah? Or at least he should!

Looks fair enough, how about doing one of these for ressies too? They're fairly under-represented on here...

I'm not sure who I'd select for an entire team but people that deserve to be there for mine are
    21 hamo
    Wide winger (I think left?) for mereweather
    Tommy mussy
    And from westlakes macca n dunc

They are my standouts

Quote Originally Posted by Itsmuz View Post
    The "little uni guy" is Mitch. Lightning quick and can jump like a black man.
    "Gareth Bale" could only be Robbie I'm assuming? (self-administered monicker too, that one) Plays as more of a attacking RW though than a RWB usually yeah? Or at least he should!

Looks fair enough, how about doing one of these for ressies too? They're fairly under-represented on here...
    Mitch is so silky on the ball, I felt bad after our collision on a corner when he went off straight after. Yeah it is Robbie, I was giving him a hell of a time about it the whole game, he even has the sweat bands, same haircut, took a couple of sneaky dives and wore the same boots for christs sake! I think in a 3-5-2 with his athletic abilities and knack for getting past people out wide he could play a decent wingback, would definitely have to work a bit harder defensively but is really good getting forward up that flank.

I'm not sure on ressies, I have only seen the first half of each game as I've been getting ready for firsts in the second and most of the time Mussy is getting beaten so I haven't been in the best of moods. Uni, Hamo and Westlakes are my stand outs sprinkled with a couple of Jeso players. Might have to think a bit more about that one and then put up a ressies team....

The allstars concept would be WAY too hard to fairly decide and then execute. We don't get to see the other teams enough, there's an understandably high level of bias, and it's just hard in general.

Eg: if you were to give me the job of selecting the zl2 allstars I'd just start with westlakes squad, and work my way around each position thinking of people from other teams I considered better. And I'd probably end up with more than half the squad being westlakes players. It'd be difficult even choosing the westlakes guys. If I were to pick the best 5 players in westlakes, if everyone was available, two of my top five in my own club wouldn't even make first grade due to continual injuries, work commitments missing training, or jusy happy in reserves. One of those two i consider to be the best player in our whole club, but hasnt played firsts in a few years due to the above reasons (it's dj for anyone who knows our club).

The only players outside of westlakes that have even remotely stood out to me is Olympics striker, a couple of mussy boys, and not much else tbh. I'm sure people from other clubs have equally as biased views as me, and hence why it is so difficult to make a squad.

totally agree with pv4 assessment. hence why my list is only 5 players long and are pretty much the stand outs imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TXK View Post

Bench:
    Jesmond's short CB
    Fingers (Westlakes)
    Kaney (Mussy striker #9)
    Hidey (Jesmond Striker)

Surely the team coming dead last would have to more greatly represented lol.
    But seriously there would be atleast two guys from Tenambit who fit into this squad easily our captain as u have already mentioned is a quality player and one of our cb who u would not have seen as he was injured for the game against u guys. But he is also a quality player and can score a mean volley too just ask jesmond lol.
    Il be interested to see if any one does a res squad tho. i would but my memory is terrible and i dnt pay enough attention during a game to do it justice.

westlakes medowie
    res 0-0

firsts 2-6 (i thinks maybe 5?)
    big effort from our ressies players, had 8 regular first grade players out and another went off after 15 minutes. I think if u added the first grade experience of our back 4 today u would be lucky to make 10 games between them and a few played ressies beforehand.
    westlakes were up 2-0 so big effort from medowie to come back. Ive said it before that they are the most improved club in this comp and their two main guys up front were class today.
    medoewie first goal they had 3 guys 3 meters offside but we literally didnt have enough players to run the line lol.
    Last edited by true waterboy; 20-07-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Hey everyone,

I don't know all the players in the comp but a few who stand out are:

Hamilton:
    Lukas (Captain, #9)
    Paul (Razzler, #21)
    Clint (Keeper)

Westlakes:
    Big striker (Don't know his name)

Don't really know anybody else.

Mussy vs Uni.
    Ressies.
    Mussy 3 Uni 1
    Firsts.
    Mussy 4 Uni 3.

A mixed day for me personally. Scored a cracking volley in reserve grade, dropped a corner that got tapped in in firsts. Rubbish bit of keeping.
    Also managed to shit myself a little about 10 mins in to ressies. Bloody tap-arse. Always hits you at the worst time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dreaded Keeper View Post

A mixed day for me personally. Scored a cracking volley in reserve grade, dropped a corner that got tapped in in firsts. Rubbish bit of keeping.
    Also managed to shit myself a little about 10 mins in to ressies. Bloody tap-arse. Always hits you at the worst time.
    Definitely the best description of a performance I've ever read on here. Lol

Charley v Jeso. Reggies 1-2 but didn't see a kick. Good win down on troops, again needing hand from a 50 y/o.

1sts 2-3. Well deserved win with a couple of uncharacteristic defensive mistakes giving Charley 2 1 on 1's which they converted well. That was all we gave them other than they being dangerous from corners. We should have scored a few more but was happy we kept fighting after they equalised twice.

A good win to get on a Sunday at their park, especially after they left Jeso Park with a point and took it to us earlier in the year with 10 men. Found them much more dangerous with previous formation to be honest.

Good day for Jeso bouncing back well from last week.

Personal I think u should stay in reserve grade and learn to catch

Piss off Hunz!!! Hahahahaha.

Not hunz

Tenambit V Mussy catch up game starts tomorrow night with res kicking off at 7 then will finish a week later with first kicking off also at 7.
    I'm looking forward to this game to right some wrongs for me personally as last time out I copped 7 goals in res. I hopefully won't be letting that happen again but with more then the bare 11 and a few more games under my belt keen to make up for it.
    I had the same thing with Olympic last Monday. had 6 put against me in game one and only one from the penalty spot in game to hoping to go one better.

My take on Mussy vs. Uni:

Res 3-1 Mussy

Both sides short of players with us needing to call upon some of our U/17's and Uni, who were very short indeed, bringing a few of their All Age boys up and giving a handful of people two games on the day. The open period saw both teams battle for control in the middle of the park and possession turning over fairly frequently. Mussy probably had to two best chances in the early exchanges with on of our young midfielder's spraying the ball about 10 yards over the crossbar in a 1 on 1 with the keeper, and didn't he hear about that for the rest of the day! Shortly after another one of our young lads and our striker, would have been in perfectly for a 1 on 1 but his touch deserted him and the keeper had just about enough time to come and collect the ball at the strikers feet. We eventually broke through however with the ball popping just outside the 18 from a set piece i think, with our first grade keeper finishing on the volley with aplomb. I don't think the Uni keeper has seen it yet. About ten or so minutes later the midfielder who skied the earlier chance made amends and calmly slotted the ball home after a few neat 1 two's up the middle of the park with the striker. The score as 2-0 at half time but I felt that Uni were still well in the game and also had their chances. We lacked a real defensive style midfielder and our lines between defence and midfield were often too stretched and Uni took advantage of this space a few times but just couldn't put one away. They did eventually grab one however, which I didn't see as was getting ready for firsts and the game finished 3-1 with a dubious goal again from our first grade keeper, this time coming off his arm but nobody picked it up. 2-1 probably would have been a fairer result, I thought Uni did well to battle and really compete in the match considering how short they were and 3-1 blew the result out slightly. Our boys were ecstatic but after picking up only their second win of the season against the top dogs!

First 4-3 Mussy
    What a game, and not for any really good reasons! First thing I will say is that was absolutely evident that we hadn't played a competitive match in four or so weeks and I believe Uni were the same boat, and it really showed. In the opening period of the game we were awful, couldn't string two passes together, most players touches were completely non-existant and match fitness was 0, which wasn't helped by a fairly boggy pitch in parts. I don't think Uni were as good as they were in the first round either, but considering their lack of squad depth on the day, they were doing a hell of a lot better than us and probably created the better of the chances in opening exchanges, culminating in a decent penalty shout in the top right corner of the 18. It's one of those shouts that I think definitely depends on your allegiances, I personally think it was the right call, I think the player was very quick to flop to the ground when when he was barely sneezed by a player half his size and weight, clearly looking for a penalty when he could have stayed on his feet. However if you are on the Uni side of the fence you would probably say he was pushed in the back and had no other option but to go to ground, and I'm not going to argue with them on that, they are more than entitled to their opinion on a call most ref's would flip a coin in their head and make the decision based on that. I wouldn't have argued the decision either way, but the only problem being this referee (and everyone knows who I'm talking about) has a long history of dubious decisions which we have also been on the wrong side of plenty as well.
    Moving on from that call and we started to find our feet in the game and get some rhythm to our play. We had a decent chance from a build up coming from the back but our younger striker tried to chip the keeper from a ridiculous angle, whilst the goalie was still standing by the way, when he could have laid a square ball to the spot which would have left our other striker with the goal at his mercy. Not long after he had another 1 on 1 which was partly cleared but one of our midfielder's was following up and chipped it neatly into the far corner to open the scoring. The lead didn't last long however with one of Uni's midfielders finding himself in his own postcode on the edge of the box, collecting the ball completely unmarked and very much onside, proceeding to dink the keeper and finish to draw level. Was purely disgraceful defending on our part and tidy work from that midfielder to exploit the space. We took the lead again before half time with a really good team goal, starting with our CB playing to our LWB moving the ball across the midfield then up the right wing and ending with our younger striker skinning 1 or 2 before finding the back of the net.
    Second half we came out firing scoring pretty well straight off the kick-off, our RWB smashing a volley in from a tight angle outside the 18 catching Uni, and most of our boys to be honest. very much off guard. I thought we would close out the game from there to be honest, especailly with Uni being short, but it seemed our match fitness and mental sharpness and Uni's willingness to battle proved me other wise. An absolutely awful piece of defending from our youngest CB and myself on the right let Uni into the box to lay a ball into the 6 yard box and give them a tap in finish. Our young player was totally a classed on that occasion but having been out for 8 weeks with injury and coming straight back in, he can be forgiven, I on the other hand have no excuses, should no better. This gave Uni some hope and they continued to push and were on top in the game. I made a sub and brought on the "quickest man alive according to the forum" to inject some life into our attack and as he is also coming back from a long injury lay-off, and it looked to pay off. We started creating chances again and really should have finished a couple, but Uni pegged us back again after counter attack. The ensuing corner resulting in The Dreaded Keeper's aforementioned howler and to be honest due to their hard work and not giving up, and our absolutely horrendous defending, Uni would have been worth the draw. However straight off the kick-off three of our players 1 two'd up the pitch with our quick striker using his pace to his advantage and slotting home a quite tidy finish. We created a few more really good chance of which should have been taken but the score stayed 4-3.

Definitely not a game for the purists, I honestly believe our 1-0 win at Ray Watt earlier in the season saw both teams playing far better football, but an entertaining match at the end of the day. Credit to Uni, made the trip with a very depleted squad and nearly went home with point, and I don't think I could have begrudged them that as they kept working hard and we continually shot ourselves in the foot with defensive errors and poor finishing. Very happy to have ground out the 3 points but, let the rest of the league no we still exist and finally get some game time after so long with out kicking a ball in anger!

On another note cheers to the Uni guys that came back to our club, was great to have you back there and you are an absolute bunch of legends to hang out and have a beer with after the game. Will definitely return the favour for you guys next season, its good to form decent relationships with other clubs.

Apologies for the essay, don't really expect anyone to read the whole thing but I did quite enjoy writing it.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky21 View Post
    Tenambit V Mussy catch up game starts tomorrow night with res kicking off at 7 then will finish a week later with first kicking off also at 7.
    I'm looking forward to this game to right some wrongs for me personally as last time out I copped 7 goals in res. I hopefully won't be letting that happen again but with more then the bare 11 and a few more games under my belt keen to make up for it.
    I had the same thing with Olympic last Monday. had 6 put against me in game one and only one from the penalty spot in game to hoping to go one better.
    You were unlucky last time mate. Our top 1st Grade striker for the last 15 odd years played ressies that game as he had only registered three or four days before hand so I had him in res to pick up some match fitness and grab his spot back in firsts. 3 goals and 4 assists later, I think he well and truly earned his spot in 1st Grade back.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky21 View Post
    Is there any other games this week