Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Zone League 2 Thread

in the second half of reserves our guys were looking for excuses not to score

Totally forgot to introduce myself sharky, my bad. I was even talking to you guys between games and everything

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    in the second half of reserves our guys were looking for excuses not to score

Totally forgot to introduce myself sharky, my bad. I was even talking to you guys between games and everything
    I was expecting it to rain down with shots when our towards the end when my boys got tired. would have felt like a normal game. lol

Prob wasn't me u were talking to between the games unless u were in the canteen as I was there filling up for my stint on the bench for first and seriously contemplating a sneaky beer haha

Quote Originally Posted by sharky21 View Post
    I was expecting it to rain down with shots when our towards the end when my boys got tired. would have felt like a normal game. lol

Prob wasn't me u were talking to between the games unless u were in the canteen as I was there filling up for my stint on the bench for first and seriously contemplating a sneaky beer haha
    Yeah as you said they just kind of hovered in your half but didn't execute much.

Yeah that was me in the canteen

Jesmond benefitting from a goal-line debatable goal? Sounds highly irregular

Worth noting the only ref westlakes/tenambit got today was everyone's favorite retired referee although I thought he was surprisingly ok in reserve grade of what I saw

Worth noting the only ref westlakes/tenambit got today was everyone's favorite retired referee although I thought he was surprisingly ok in reserve grade of what I saw
    He did well in ressies. Not much to rule on tbh tho.
    Got some calls wrong for both sides in firsts but was pretty fair I thought. As much as we joke about him on here, I'd much rather have him than putting the pressure on a club ref. seems to genuinely love the game at this level. In the canteen after the game he was havin a chat to some of our players n having a joke with the tennambit coach etc.

Only thing I don't like about bobby is his pet hate with people saying mine, leave, or here
    The disallowed goal to our player today when he said here had no impact of the play. It should only be a foul when it clearly impedes the defender
    Last edited by true waterboy; 03-08-2013 at 10:36 PM.

A "neutral" perspective on the Jesmond 3 vs Uni 2 game. Yesterday confirmed for me that Uni are a quality team in this competition and if they had their full team on the park each week and their squad wasn't decimated through Uni holidays, they would be a real contender and definitely pushing for a finals spot. I thought Uni looked the better team in the early stages with Jesmond looking a bit sluggish to get out of the sheds, and Uni had a few decents chances to open the scoring but a lack of finishing, some decent keeping and last ditch defending meant Jesmond kept it scoreless. Jesmond eventually took the lead when Uni failed to clear their lines and following a Jesmond set piece (can't remember whether it was a corner or free kick...) and Jeso poked the ball in from close range in a bit of a goal mouth scramble. This settled Jesmond a bit, and they began to have more influence in the game. It was still fairly end to end stuff however with Uni pushing hard for the equaliser, which eventually came from a calm finish from their number 9, 1-1. Uni continued apply pressure searching to take the lead, but when a midfielder was caught in possession deep in Jesmond territory, Jeso broke quickly and a tidy dink over the defence saw a spawning salmon head the ball into the bottom corner, completely unmarked at the backstick, finishing off a very neat counter. Jesmond took a 2-1 lead into half time.

Uni pinched a goal early in the second half, which made things very interesting. The game continued very much end to end with neither team really controlling the midfield and both creating plenty of chances. Jesmond scored again on the counter however, breaking quickly after a Uni corner to create a 3 on 2 (I think possibly a 3 on 1) and finishing nicely. Uni weren't done however and continued to push for a point. They thought they had earned this when a header hit the underside of the cross bar and and from where I was sitting definitely looked to have touched the net before being cleared. From where I was I though goal, but mind you that was a good 50m from the action, and with a slightly pro Uni cap on I can understand why the ref didn't call it with no linesman and a lot of bodies in front of him. And the thing really surprised me was not too man of the Uni boys appealed that strongly for it, only a handle and then play moved on. Uni still could have grabbed a point with the chances they had but Jesmond clung on and got the reward. 3-2 Jesmond full time.

One thing that Jesmond did very, very well (apart from set pieces) is that with both teams playing a 3-5-2, if a team commits forward there is plenty of space left in the wide areas to exploit on the break. Jesmond took full advantage and always made sure that their lines between the strikers and midfield, didn't get stretched and could link up quickly on the break. Something Uni could have taken note of. Each time Jesmond committed forward the Uni strikers were isolated and one of the Wingbacks looked completely disinterested in getting forward and more interested in trying to razz in his own half and sulk when they lost the ball. All in all entertaining game but and was worth the trip down to watch and catch up with some mates, wait, I mean foes..... In all seriousness it is great to be able to go the ground of your closest rivals and be treated with good hospitality and invited back to their local. It's what amateur football is all about an I love it. Cheers to Jeso and also the Uni boys we caught up with for a great Saturday afternoon!

Made the trip down and didn't head to widcats. Dead to me

Jeso played similar formation on tues night and it was quite noticeable that the wide positions high up the field (jesmond defence) there was heaps of space. I'm going to say at least 4 of widcats goals came from a high wide position, most with low hard crosses to free men in the middle. Definately something exploitable in the finals, particularly for mussy and widcats who have decent wide options (olympic seem more direct to me, maybe worth changing up if facing jeso).

Mussy won 7-1

Mussy ressies was 5-1.

6-1

Mussy Facebook page says firsts 7-1, reserves 6-1. I know firsts score is legit

Did the dreaded keeper keep he's goal scoring ways in ressies up

Sadly, no. Only played the last 15-20. Maybe next year.......

Made the trip down and didn't head to widcats. Dead to me

Scouting over friendship :P
    Amigos Aarau

The comprehensive wrap-up of Jes v Uni above is pretty close to the money I think. Whilst not playing fantastically we were happy to get the win, improve dramatically from Tuesday night and take the 3 points into a fortnights break.

At times the game was quite scrappy in the middle of the park but settled into passages of some quality. A few good goals and am happy to agree that the big Uni striker is quality (you will see I rated him in his first game back from injury when he terrorised us in reggies and then also off the bench in firsts), however even with him I never thought we were in danger of losing, with them pinching a draw at best. How the uninterested player that I think has been mentioned above wasn't hooked is beyond me. I'd have hated to have been a team-mate and surely someone that wanted to be there would have been a better option. Moped around seeming about as happy as the man that accidently shot his father.

Re the debatable goal/no goal in question - I too was a fair distance away and at a terrible angle so to insist on any sort of a strong opinion would be stupid, but the point I will make is that there was hardly a murmur from the Uni players themselves. In a day and age when players from every club in every division seem to appeal for anything, this may be an indication that perhaps is wasn't a goal....

I thought the referee (who may be a bit inexperienced I'm not sure) was quite good, especially as didn't have linesman. Very frustrating were the 4 consecutive corners Uni got in the dieing minutes, all 4 of which appeared to be goal kicks from 50/50 challenges but all good.

Quickly on the comment re: our 352.... If you read back through the forum you will see that we are possibly the most defensive team in the southern hemisphere and hence our formation for the two games mentioned would indeed have been a 532 not a 352. We rely on counter attacking, set pieces and of course refereeing mistakes, the highlight being the famous Bobby-gate debacle. 5 at the back, 2 very defensive midfielders that more or less hold hands with our centre backs, 1 that is allowed to venture slightly further forward on the odd occasion, one support striker and a striker that also is defensive oriented. If you're reading this and thinking I might be having a cheeky dig at you, I probably am.

PV4 - how you have "at least 4 of wildcats goals coming from high wide positions" on Tuesday night is beyond me. Perhaps we were watching different games. They mostly came through the middle capitalising on mistakes.

Good to see blokes there on Sat'dy from Musswellbrook, Merewether and Olympic. We're always happy to a beer and chat with anyone. Hopefully you all go about kicking each other over the next fortnight now though haha

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbelong@jesmondpark View Post
    PV4 - how you have "at least 4 of wildcats goals coming from high wide positions" on Tuesday night is beyond me. Perhaps we were watching different games. They mostly came through the middle capitalising on mistakes.
    Maybe not watching different games, but definately interpreting them differently. I said at least 4, but right now I can't even remember two of the goals. But the three I do remember, all couldn't have happened without exposing the high/wide positions.

First of three I remember was our right mid had the ball in Jesmonds half. He pushes past a guy, is free, and passes it into the middle. Guy in middle does some ridiculous turn, power shot, keeper decides he'll drop it at his feet and striker cleans the scraps for a goal.

Second of three I remember is left mid has the ball free in Jesmonds half. Plays a ball that is half on the ground, half bobbling (is that a word? Either way I think it was a pass on the ground that Jesmond Park decided should bounce a lot) across goal to Duncan, who hits it first time for a sweet volley.

Third was I think the last goal. Right mid rounds left mid (wide-back), exposes a heap of space, gets ball to byline and cuts across goal to free man on backpost to tap in.

I legitimately can't remember the other two goals we scored, although I think they were both in the first half if that helps. I'll assume at least one came from a wide position, to make my argument valid

Whether Jesmond players/coaches believe/recognise that last Tuesday they were exposed high & wide (and apparently were on the wkend) or not - they're proven to be exploitable in those areas and as I described above I fully expect if they don't change they'll run into trouble v Mussy & Westlakes if they face either in the finals.

Also FWIW I have this suspicion that Olympic will win it all this year (by all I mean GF). I can't see teams sending understrength teams to Mussy, and I assume for finals they'll get legit refs up there (cue the Bobby rants), so I can't see their home being as much of a fortress as normal. Jesmond I think are on a decline - maybe they'll have to go back to the 10men behind the ball at all times just to shut up shop like in the first round of fixtures. Widcats I can't see lasting - I think they were lucky last year to draw Belmont who I still haven't seen play any good, and for 85mins were able to contain Les & Bobby from Terrace to pinch the GF. So yeah, I predict Olympic to come good and take the cake.

Where is the GF this year? At the Mutual Ground again?

Agree to disagree re: the goals from Tuesday.

I too though would love to know where the grand final is so if anyone is in the know that'd be appreciated....???

Re: Olympic - sure there is no doubt how dangerous they are going forward but defensively questions need to be asked. I've heard a whisper that they are still trying different things and did so in an internal trial on Saturday. Nothing like leaving it late.

When viewing the table and the draw, I feel they still have plenty of work to do to even make the 4. They should have too much going forward for Merewether on Saturday but equation is actually not in their hands. Jeso (32 from 15) have been in for weeks, similar scenario with Musswellbrook (28 from 12) and now Westlakes (25 from 15) seem close to safe but need a result at Uni on Saturday to secure this.

Should the top 3 secure those spots then Olympic (21 from 14) cannot make it if Charlestown (20 from 13) win their 3 matches, they can actually get away with qualifying with less. Add the fact that Olympic play Muswellbrook on the final day and it's still incredibly open. If Muswellbrook have played and won their 3 catch by then it could be argued would have nothing to play for but would probably take pleasure from knocking a rival out nonetheless. Especially Olympic at Olympic. Imagine the scenes! It would be massive from Medowie from here who still have to travel to Musswelbrook but they're still a small chance too.

Although we at Jesmond were never rated pre season and seems still aren't by most now, it's still nice to have the points on the board and to not have to worry about this type of thing like we did in 2012 when we missed out on the final day. Were chasing the pack hard during the second half of the season and nearly got there but started our run a bit late.

Also FWIW I have this suspicion that Olympic will win it all this year (by all I mean GF). I can't see teams sending understrength teams to Mussy, and I assume for finals they'll get legit refs up there (cue the Bobby rants), so I can't see their home being as much of a fortress as normal. Jesmond I think are on a decline - maybe they'll have to go back to the 10men behind the ball at all times just to shut up shop like in the first round of fixtures. Widcats I can't see lasting - I think they were lucky last year to draw Belmont who I still haven't seen play any good, and for 85mins were able to contain Les & Bobby from Terrace to pinch the GF. So yeah, I predict Olympic to come good and take the cake.

Where is the GF this year? At the Mutual Ground again?
    I hope your right! We have to pull our heads in and get into the semis first of all. I don't like the fact we are playing mussy last round but hopefully for us we sneak in. Hopefully Jesmond come 1st, no offence i think we have a better chance over two legs against you guys then we do with westlakes and mussy. That will leave us hopefully with a classic westlakes v olympic grand final.

Tbf to olympic they had one of the best keepers in the league playing reserves for the first round they're much better for having clinto in the sticks now.

yeah, I have only seen charly once but saw nothing or no one special. I'd be happy, in the context, the ladder to finish as is but mussy on top

Regardless if they have first wrapped up or not, mussy will be full strength v olympic. They enjoy the battle too much not to try and win it