Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: HAL 12/13 Rd 7 - Jets vs Pheonix 18/11/12 k/off 3:00pm AEDST AKA the fight thread

agreed plague. i see jobe & zad touching the ball the most, hence the most chance to give the ball away.

imo gve has his attacking layout setup completely wrong, and it leaves in particular our cbs & our mid that picks the ball up in a dire situtation with no options. gve wants our high, wide players to set themselves up in a position that basically cancels themselves out. you could see it was virgilli on the wkend - everytime our cb or jobe/rubez had the ball, he was setup basically in behind the wellington left back. not an option whatsoever. taggart came on & when he realised that postion was never seeing him get the ball, he decided to cut in to find the ball - at which time gve blasted him from the sidelines and told him to push high and wide and "i don't want you in there". then you've got the setup where if one of jobe or rubez has the ball, gve wants the other to be setup basically in the mirror-image across the centre-of-goal-to-centre-of-goal-plane position away from him - on the opposite side of the 1-2 opposition defenders closing the man on the ball down. we push our widebacks up into a position which effectively cancels out both themselves & the high/wide guy, and the only option our cbs/jobe/rubez have is a direct play to heskey who's being double-marked.

in summary, vj would be fuming at our setup. we're playing 3 high/wide men exactly how we shouldn't be. the reason this type of game works so effectively for brisbane is they have nichols/murdocca/henrique/etc running the whole game and being very dynamic in their positioning, looking for the ball from smith/jurman/adnan(prev)/paartalu, as opposed to us who don't do any effing running.

we're setting ourselves up so our cbs (tiago, mitchell) plus jobe/rubez only ever have one, maybe two options. and that's why we seemingly lose the ball so much, and why people call for mitchell's head. we're not mobile enough, and hence have no options to play to. we're way predictable.
    OK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by the_butcher View Post
    Please do, i'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Bon, my votes for Griff were for his running off the ball. The amount of times he makes runs and doesnt receive the ball is incredible. Doesn't stop him for continuing to make the effort though.

Jobe was hands-down our best. I didn't realise how much he actually does until I watched from the prawn sandwich section. The bloke has an exceptional passing range and very rarely lost the ball. I read people saying he didn't play the ball forward enough...well it's kind of hard when the opposition stacks 11 players behind the ball and your job is not to lose possession.
    As someone who says he doesn't pass thee ball forward enough I will take issue with this statement. If the Nix put 11 blokes behind the ball why does Jobe need to do anything other than play forward??? Whats the point of a pass back to our defenders??

The bloke does have a good range of passing but he needs to change his mindset a little. Pass forward/sideways/back in that order. Not his current mindset of back/sideways/forward. I sit up high at Stade de Newy and see many times when Jobe and Zads and Kanta have opportunity to pass forward to a bloke in a better position. Nothing remotely tough for players of their ability but they far too often turn around and go sideways and back to "retain" possession and we lose a possible attacking foray as out opponent repositions themselves.

Also where is the first time passing from the midfield?? See very little of it and a massive weapon to break down defences. Where is the run from midfield?? Never see Zads/ Jobe /Kanta etc get into the box to support Eskytime. Jobe is actually quite handy at shooting for goal yet he rarely gets up there and Zads and Kanta are never seen that far forward. Where is the dribble from midfield ??Once on Sunday Jobe put his foot down and decided to go past an opponent. What happened we were in the driving seat attacking wise once he did so.

The whole thing is irritating the **** out of me as these 3 positions the 6-8-10 are so ****ed up at present they are one of the main reasons our possession game is shite and our defence gets arse raped suddenly despite looking pretty assured for 90% of the game.

The Egg needs to fix it big time. Wouldn't overtly be unhappy if Jobe/Kanta were actually punted back to centre half fulltime. Keeps them in the team and will allow us a solid player on the ball at the back and also allow us/ force us to FIND the right players in centre mid

Agree 100% PV4.
    Getting the wide guys upfield worked v Syd because Heskey and Griff were dropping in to collect the ball from the DM's then going forward. Not much of that happened on Sunday. Hence long balls.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Agree 100% PV4.
    Getting the wide guys upfield worked v Syd because Heskey and Griff were dropping in to collect the ball from the DM's then going forward. Not much of that happened on Sunday. Hence long balls.
    same happened v victory also, we canceled ourselves out of the game.

and since sydney, heskey & griff have been double-marked the entire time as the defence needn't worry about our players who aren't even near a chance of getting the ball
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post

and since sydney, heskey & griff have been double-marked the entire time as the defence needn't worry about our players who aren't even near a chance of getting the ball
    I'll be looking out for this v Fart PV4.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post

close to the mark
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis