Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Soccernomics.

Very very good.
    I finished it on the weekend. It was really good. I chose to simply read it instead of critically analysing the statistical methodologies they applied.

It is a must read for anyone who has read Moneyball or simply wants a deeper understanding on football or wants to look at football in a different way.

It was a good one to read a bit, leave for a while and come back to - I read a fiction book inbetween it.

Picked up "Mad For It" to read now. Again, it'll be a good book to read a chapter and leave while I read the next fiction book.

8.5/10

Joel31, did you end up sending Blackmac a book review on this for the Jetstream?

just read fergies autobiography

always hated united but respected him

good read

really insightful on the roy keane incidents amongst other tasty subjects

7/10
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I finished it on the weekend. It was really good. I chose to simply read it instead of critically analysing the statistical methodologies they applied.

It is a must read for anyone who has read Moneyball or simply wants a deeper understanding on football or wants to look at football in a different way.

It was a good one to read a bit, leave for a while and come back to - I read a fiction book inbetween it.

Joel31, did you end up sending Blackmac a book review on this for the Jetstream?
    No it didn't have time over Christmas / New Year Period and forgot after that. Feel free to write it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocknerd View Post
    I don't read soccer books unless it's about the fans and some big chest beating and peacock strutting Casuals/Hooligans/Ultras related.

Though I did just complete the entire Raymond E. Feist Rift war Saga. Epic story and a little dull at time but overall solid.

Now re commencing the Dark Tower serice up to book 5 Wolves of the Calla and have the Song of Ice and Fire series t read as well.
    How is the Dark Tower? I've read a lot of his books but not Tower series.

I'm just reading Doctor Sleep at the moment.

Finally reading 'The Wolf of Wall Street'. Been sitting on the shelf for ages but with all the hype around the movie decided to pick it up.
    Funnily, mates of mine who read it take something out of it completely different to what I'm getting.
    Either way some good lessons in there for anyone interested in business.

Also: complete works of the Far Side. Had purchased most of the collections over the years but lost them/loaned them out etc. the Mrs got me the 2 volume set recently (bless her). Each book weighs about legit 5kg. Still makes me larf though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Been reading on/off for probably the last month. Pathway to Prosperity - The 12 steps to financial freedom by Pat Mesiti. I have been really enjoying it, bit busy with life to find the time to sit down with no distractions, dare say i'll have it finished on the flight to europe on thursday though and also going to get back into.
    Become a Property Millionaire in your $pare time by Mark Kelman will also probably take Reg Date - The Donald Bradman of Football Peter Allen

Started brilliant orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Schultz View Post
    How is the Dark Tower? I've read a lot of his books but not Tower series.

I'm just reading Doctor Sleep at the moment.
    Tower series is good. books 1-3-5 are so far standouts the fusion of Western, Sci-Fi, Fantasy and quest are really well done and King has ensured to not have too many discrepancies. It also crosses into different King realms such as Salems lot and The Stand. If you're a King fan you'll enjoy these stories.

Currently reading A song of Ice and Fire, finished Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings now reading book 1 of a Storm of swords. some of the best writing I have ever read. need to start watching the TV series as well to catch up.

The communist manifesto - Karl Marx

Next up is mien kampf - aldolf hitler.

I live a thrilling life

Martin is a genius. I love the books. He writes too slow though and am waiting for book 6 to come out. Still no release date. I am on the edge of my seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    Martin is a genius. I love the books. He writes too slow though and am waiting for book 6 to come out. Still no release date. I am on the edge of my seat.
    At the start of December I was in NZ and visited Hobbiton (and coincidentally ran into Merry & Pippin IRL). Apparently the day (or week) before, Martin did a tour of the place. And all the visitors, workers, etc who recognised him just hounded him to stop fxxxing around with holidays & go write some more
    OK

Currently reading Moneyball. Gtfo Michael Bridges

Over my holiday period I read:
    - I am the Secret Footballer (check an upcoming zine for review)
    - Dennis Bergkamps new book (amazing, unreal, etc)
    - The Hobbit (hadn't read since primary school, felt the need to do so after watching the newest movie)

I got probably a quarter of the way (which, in fairness, is a long way because it's such a long book) through Inverting the Pyramid Gaz. It was pretty heavy. I'll pick it up again some later time, but I think just because I'd started reading it after reading two football books, plus just the content the way it is, I couldn't read any more. Some killer thoughts/insights so far though!
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG NBUnited View Post
    Reg Date - The Donald Bradman of Football Peter Allen[/I]
    Anyone else read this? I legit can't believe some of the stats (particularly goals scored per game) in there. Date was a freak.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    On my bookshelf. Very much looking forward to reading it, particularly after reading Bergkamp's book.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Currently reading Moneyball. Gtfo Michael Bridges

Over my holiday period I read:
    - I am the Secret Footballer (check an upcoming zine for review)
    - Dennis Bergkamps new book (amazing, unreal, etc)
    - The Hobbit (hadn't read since primary school, felt the need to do so after watching the newest movie)

I got probably a quarter of the way (which, in fairness, is a long way because it's such a long book) through Inverting the Pyramid Gaz. It was pretty heavy. I'll pick it up again some later time, but I think just because I'd started reading it after reading two football books, plus just the content the way it is, I couldn't read any more. Some killer thoughts/insights so far though!
    I'm reading Inverting the Pyramid as well as I try to only read one book at a time. I'm finding it good but pretty heavy as well, I'm about a quarter in as well

Before that I read Life of Pi because I liked the movie. Its pretty good if that's your type of thing, its not that fast moving though and very reflective. I also read The Manager: Inside the Minds of Football's Leaders by Mike Carson. Its got some good insight from top managers like Mourinho, Wenger and Ferguson.

After I finish that i'll start Fever Pitch as its the other book I got for my birthday last year and I guess i'll have to read English texts for year 11 as well

Fxx yeah for this thread, didn’t even know about Bergkamp’s book. Gonna get it for sure.

I think i might get the audio book for a song of ice and fire. Anyone here listen to audio books?

Killer book, the diagrams about a bergkamp pass and the accordion like properties of total football are brilliant

The communist manifesto - Karl Marx
    A bit of a boring read but influential none the less, I never managed to get through Das Kapital

Next up is mien kampf - aldolf hitler
    Apologist bullshit, on the same level as The Malay Dilemma by Mahatir

Currently reading Moneyball.
    Well written but probably popular due to the underdog element. I usually read all of Michael Lewis' articles in Vanity Fair.

Anyone else read this? I legit can't believe some of the stats (particularly goals scored per game) in there. Date was a freak.
    So much lol, especially the parts about his knee, punting and boxing

Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    I'm reading Inverting the Pyramid as well as I try to only read one book at a time
    A great historical resource, I reckon the best football book there is.

Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    After I finish that i'll start Fever Pitch
    You'll like this, all football fans inevitably see a bit of themselves in the protagonist.

Books i’ve read since uni has been over;

Black Swan by Nassim Taleb - on probability, predictions and epistemology

Capitalism and Freedom by Uncle Miltie - a philosophical treatise against coercive power

Atomized by Michel Houellebecq - on sex in an individualised society

Self Made Man by Norah Vincent - about allocated gender identity, some succinct points well articulated but a poor conclusion

Open Society and Its Enemy by Sir Karl Popper - a take down of plato and marx (good enough to influence soros, good enough to influence me)

The Beast by Oscar Martinez - about central american migrants, their hardships and ingenuity

The Tiger’s Wife by Tea Obreht - on death and family

especially good part about Karađorđević, who when asked to be leader of the serbs said he would not take up the position as he "was prone to anger and would be quick to cut people's heads off", which only served to make him more popular with the other tribal leaders

servs

anyone want a free copy of 'soccernomics'?

i have two copies, going to sell the extra copy to a 2nd hand bookstore if there are no takers.

Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    anyone want a free copy of 'soccernomics'?

i have two copies, going to sell the extra copy to a 2nd hand bookstore if there are no takers.
    Yes. Able to bring to Coast away?
    OK

Yes. Able to bring to Coast away?
    done deal.

Seaside, I still have your copy of anaracaphobia

Seaside, I still have your copy of anaracaphobia
    cool, return it when you feel like.