Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously, whats wrong with the Jets?

Seriously, whats wrong with the Jets?

half humourous with some points but would like it to start a serious discussion on players, systems and tactics.

As title says, what is the problem? Below are the myriad of examples that are posted up, as well as some of my own contributions.

Is the problem:

GVE - previous history of poor man-management, playing favourites, sticks rigidly to a system regardless of players or situation.
    Arthur Pappas - was better than Craig Deans. Did all the preseason work before leaving. Should have kept him.
    Craig Deans - not as good as Arthur Pappas. Wont stand up to GVE, tells players wrong instructions before subsitutions, loves Gallaway.
    Too much youth - not enough experienced on the park, "You wont win anything with kids" (right, Alan Hansen?), we are blooding too many youngsters at the same time rather than a gradual process.
    433 doesnt work - how many World Cups did the Dutch win again?
    433 does work - but we arent Holland. Or Barca. But at least its not 451.
    Josh Mitchell - he's not Ljubes. Or Regan.
    Tiago - Hes not playing/hes a liability/he is only good when water bottles are chucked at him.
    Key injuries - Kanta/Jobe/etc have been missing for too long, too many players are getting short term injuries
    Rotation - Stick with a starting XI for more than a week ffs Gary. And Goodwin needs to start more, and Virgili less.
    Heskey - we had a system all through preseason, then the club signed a player on the eve of the comp starting that doesnt fit what Gary had been practicing for four months.
    Fullbacks - when Ritter/Neville push up, no-one from central midfield drops in to provide defensive cover, leading to getting caught out of position when possession is inevitably coughed up. And to conceding more goals than everyone else except Sydney.
    RyGriff - we are playing him as a number 10, when we have Ribeiro who isnt being played, and RyGriff is better as a winger or a striker.
    Nathan Tinklers dwindling fortune - players are worried, it happened when Cons finances turned to shit too

Have I forgotten anything? These arent all my personal views, just paraphrasing the last couple of months of issues, but some I do think are part of the problem.
    Is it a combination of all of them? Or something else entirely?
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

sums it up nicely...straight to Jetstream ?
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

i agree with everything

except Virgili..

he is brilliant, so much more confidence in my opinion, keep him in the 11

I still don't but into Heskey screwing the system up - Gary said at least 5 times in preseason his squad needed a target man.

our big issues as I see it is we don't press as a unit, and the one bloke who isn't putting in by defending high up (which seems to be griff a lot) is letting his man be an easy option and screw our plan. the other issue is the amount of possession turnover we experience in an attacking position - the less we have the ball, the more pressure on our defense and the more we're going to concede. we seem to walk the ball into the defenses path, and gift them counter-attacks, like we're having fun doing it
    OK

The 1st one and R Middleby are the problem

Middleby for bringing GVE back and GVE for pulling the wool over everybody's eyes telling them he was a better coach than 1st time around when clearly he is not.

We start off with a plan A but when its not working we have no plan B and I'm not talkin bout just goin to 3 at the back and pushing everyone else forward
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

lack of smoothies

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Gallaway, the moment he was even considered to come back in the squad its been down hill. Now hes actually in the team its even worse. And Deans.

Lack of Jonny Griff also an issue. Is exactly what the club needs, local lad, good engines, strong, no nonsense centreback. Player of the year at Magic, dominated the jets youth team with the same players now in the full squad. Griff in again

No big dog in pre game.
    No super Hubert at half time.

Overly negative fans?

Possibly, but he does make good points. 433 can work, we've seen it done all over the world, especially in the aleague. But what made Roar so effective at it was while they lined up as a 4123, when they had the ball it was more a 343 with Portaloo dropping back as a CB, plus the wide backs didn't play as wingers when they had the ball in the back line. If the full backs dropped back to about 10-15 metres horizontally infront of the backs, they would be much easier to pass to and we wouldn't have Hearts first goal happen (and Victorys second) and the centrebacks wouldnt have to spend so much time on the ball. The way we play is a 4231 but when we have the ball it's 2233 which doesn't have the available passing lanes that the Roar had, plus our fullbacks are way too far from the CBs for short sharp passing.

Also what helped Roar, and what we did early on vs Sydney, was pressure their entire team from about their penalty spot. Against Melbournes we just sat back until the halfway line or so then sorta pressured them.

What I would like to see us do is keep pressure on the centrebacks throughout the game and if we can't, the fitness coach needs to look at themselves and GvE needs to consider getting a better one. I believe a system change as well would be advisable to implement what I'm suggesting. Basically rather than the 4231, go with the 4123 that was so successful at Roar. I would imagine the first IX to be:

.........................Biraz
    .Neville...Chapman...Ritter....Brillante
    .........................Jobe
    ..................Zad..........Ribs
    ......RyGriff........Heskey........Goodwin

Bench:
    BK
    Tiago/Mitchell/Regan
    Pepper/Bridges
    Taggart/Virgilli

Tiago/Mitchell/Regan on the bench until we get a better centrebacks or pre-Bayern Kanta returns. They will replace Brillante and Ritter to LB
    Pepper/Bridges Pepper can operate has the hardman in midfield, while we can get Bridges as a back up creative player.
    Taggart/Virigilli either one GvE goes with, everyone will blow up holy hell so good luck with that.
    Last edited by Thomas477; 04-01-2013 at 12:16 AM.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    lack of hobbits in our team is clearly hurting us imo

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    What I would like to see us do is keep pressure on the centrebacks throughout the game and if we can't, the fitness coach needs to look at themselves and GvE needs to consider getting a better one.
    We had one, FFA stole him to go to Wanderers.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Biggest prob is beer price going up. Everything else seems pretty much on track down.

Last edited by hawk; 04-01-2013 at 01:36 AM.

Using our visa spot players to open cafes and just generally do sfa
    Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    It's was criticism because the discussion was about rego cost and you stated ours is higher than yours

GVE-Pure and Simple

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Overly negative fans?
    normally i'd say yes.

but i don't blame any & everyone for being hugely negative at our W-D-L stats of 1-1-6 as it is currently. these stats mean that in our most recent 8 games we've basically played against every team in the league (i know one or two of these were double-up opponents, and 9 would be a better number to work with), and have only beaten one team & drawn against one team. funnily enough, those teams were sydney, and heart, who coiincidentally are sitting just as pretty as us on the ladder.

we're playing pretty awful, we're not winning, all our prospects from preseason of finals/top two/etc look way out of reach, & we're barely scraping past the teams that are going to fight for the spoon with us. as negative as that sounds, it's true.

i'm usually a juice-box-half-full kinda guy, and being negative mainly for the lulz, but as our team is now:
    - i don't enjoy watching us play
    - i don't agree with some team selections
    - i don't feel the coach is performing, and can't really see us hitting some freakish run of form
    - i'm sick of the coal price being so low
    - i don't agree with the club letting griff go anywhere but here
    - i feel the most out of touch i ever have with the club
    OK

btw let's try something crazy

-----------------biraz------------------
    neville----tiago----champan----ritter
    brown----jobe----zadkid-----goodwin
    ---------taggart----heskeytime------

get back to roots - send the boys out with a stock-standard 442 and see what happens. walk before you run & all that. "GVE GETTING BACK TO BASICS" is a genius headline if it pays off
    OK

The 4-4-2 won't happen (unfortunately). FFA have an entire philosophy based on 4-3-3, and I am sure they have basically instructed GVE to run our Jets in this manner.

I believe it can/ will work, even though pv4's above lineup would yield more immediate results

Neville is not very good at anything to do with football but is picked every week, not enough Regan, Shitty pitch leading to too many minor injuries.
    Goodwin and Vigili being played on the wrong side, can work with experienced players but they're losing their pace when they have to switch feet when attacking.
    Why pay internationals to have a beach holiday?
    GVE in general.

Brown is no good since his injury, he needs to go back to youth and rebuild his form.

I said it when we signed him, I said it in pre season, I said it when the season kicked off and I'm still saying it now. GVE OUT