Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A-League Draft

The whole thing surrounding Tom Rogic was he came from Canberra a region not represented in the A-League

I think if a second division was set up to accomodate these areas players from these areas would then have a shop window. Sure the economics are a big part of it but I'm not talking promotion-relegation type league (atleast not for 10-15 years)

My idea 10 teams
    North Queensland
    Sunshine Coast
    2ndBrisbane
    Gold Coast
    3rd Sydney
    Wollongong
    Canberra
    Geelong
    3rd Melbourne
    Tasmania
    Auckland
    2nd Adelaide
    2nd Perth
    Choose whoever from them

Solves 4 problems
    -A-League Expansion
    -More teams for cup competition
    -2nd division something AFC want us to have
    -young talented kids from all across the country give a path from grassroots to professional football

Yes it's a pipe dream but its the answer to all of footballs problems if the A-League could become self governed the FFA could then shift attention to setting up a second division

Premy, I would have to disagree with almost half of your suggested teams. Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne has not proven they warrant a 2nd or 3rd team. They are only averaging ~10k (MH + MV). I also seriously doubt the Sunshine Coast has the facilities or population to host an A-League quality team. However, if the facilities and demand is there, why not? But we need to make sure the league will be sustainable.

Also, why should we expand into NZ more? It's an Australian competition FFS and Phoenix already have the advantage of NZ players not counting as foreigners, while for the rest of us they are.

That being said, bring on Tassie, Canberra and the 'Gong. Plus bring back the Fury.
    Last edited by Thomas477; 15-01-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Sunshine Coast have a population similar to that of Wollongong and Sunshine Coast fire currently in the Queensland APL are major tenants of a 12000 seater facility although its not a fully inclosed venue.

As to 2nd Adelaide/Brisbane or 3rd Melbourne teams these are just suggestions and if you involve former NSL teams like Brisbane strikers, South Melbourne and Adelaide city I think it could be viable but these clubs would need the help and support from the FFA to lift there professionalism

Yes it's a Australian comp but I think we could benifit from having a team like Auckland City in our comp they have been quite succsecful over the last couple of years and proven to be a quality side by surprise most teams at past club World Cups

Sure these teams won't be on the same sort of budgets A-League clubs are but by tapping into there local communities I think they could be very viable

As towards crowd figures this would be a second division so they shouldn't come into it much