Page 118 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 2755

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2013

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Calling it now: I expect nothing more than complete failure with this move.
    I wouldn't be wishing the **** failure.

If he struggles in the J league he will be picked up in the HAL whenever a post becomes vacant. Being that GVE is off contract this season end there is a remarkable opportunity that Jets could be looking for Manager at the time Arnie gets arse in Japan.

You can see Palmer and Middleby jumping at the chance to sign a bloke of his pedigree and leaving us to be run by a Gypo overlord.

Banned
    THE AFL has blocked Football Federation Australia from booking Etihad Stadium for the A-League grand final.

The standoff means Melbourne Victory, should it win hosting rights, will have to play the title decider at AAMI Park, denying in excess of 20,000 fans the chance to attend.

The Herald Sun understands Etihad Stadium management was happy to allow the tentative booking for Sunday, May 4 when FFA first made its approach six months ago.

But the AFL has contractual rights to the ground and decided to book the Docklands stadium on the night of Saturday, May 3 (for Essendon v Western Bulldogs) and the following afternoon (North Melbourne v Gold Coast).

The MCG is also in use on both days of that weekend and an A-League grand final across the road at AAMI Park would further clog the Olympic Park precinct.

Etihad is available to FFA on Friday, May 2, but a grand final cannot be played in that timeslot for interstate fan travel and broadcast reasons.

It's understood Sydney's ANZ and Allianz stadiums and Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium have successfully been pre-booked for the game.

FFA said last night they were disappointed with the outcome and would seek to avoid a similar situation in the future.

"FFA made a formal request to book Etihad Stadium six months ago, but we've been told recently that pre-existing rights have been exercised by other venue hirers, after the A-League fixture was published," an FFA spokesman said.

"This is a matter for the venue managers, but it's something FFA will discuss with the Victorian Government in due course. "

Etihad Stadium has hosted three A-League grand finals, netting crowds of 55,436 (2007), 53,273 (2009) and 44,560 in 2010 when capacity was reduced to allow the ground's retractable seating to be brought in.

AAMI Park has a capacity of just over 30,000.

The AFL on Tuesday denied the scheduling move was aimed at inconveniencing the A-League.

"The AFL booked Etihad Stadium on that weekend because May - along with April, June, July and August - is the peak point of our home and away season with nine matches every weekend," an AFL spokesman said.

"Etihad Stadium is hosting a greater number of games in 2014 because there was no final played at the venue in 2013, which further requires our call on the venue in 2014 as the primary tenant."

Only eight times during the AFL's 2014 season will both Etihad Stadium and the MCG both host Saturday and Sunday matches in the same round.

Two of those rounds also clash with the A-League's elimination final and preliminary final weekends.

Those finals can be played on Friday or Thursday nights as both Friday April 18 (Good Friday) and Friday April 25 (Anzac Day) are public holidays.

Etihad Stadium communications manager Bill Lane said the AFL "always has first right" to booking the ground.

"We'd like to be able to host an A-League grand final, but sometimes the stars don't quite align," he said.
    If 30k AAMI Park can host a GF you could make a case Stade de Newy can as it holds 30k plus also

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    If 30k AAMI Park can host a GF you could make a case Stade de Newy can as it holds 30k plus also
    I can see one problem with this...

Its been awhile I missed you kents

see ya arnie

sendai ops:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/19...burner/?cs=303

Dutchy puts Jets possession game on backburner

JETS coach Gary van Egmond conceded yesterday that he had shelved the possession-based game he had insisted on introducing for a style more suitable to his players.

The Jets host league leaders Brisbane Roar, who under former coach Ange Postecoglou were the first A-League team to bring in the fashionable tiki-taka game plan made famous by Barcelona, at Hunter Stadium tomorrow.

Van Egmond had followed a similar path of playing out from the back, dominating possession and deploying a high defensive line.

But after missing the finals for the past two seasons and opening this campaign with a 2-0 loss to Sydney FC, despite having 61per cent of the ball, the coach has altered his approach.

‘‘It is definitely a change in tack from us,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘We looked at it last year and we conceded a number of goals. I think it was 45 in 27 games.

‘‘You are not going to win anything conceding that many goals.

‘‘This season we have conceded five goals in five games. That puts you in pretty good stead when it comes to winning games and picking up points.

‘‘We have been controlling the game quite a bit without the ball with our defensive shape.’’

The Jets are unbeaten since the opening loss at Allianz Stadium, stringing three draws and a win together.

Their biggest slice of possession was 47per cent in the scoreless stalemate with Wellington in round three.

In the 2-1 win over Adelaide last round they had just 37per cent of the ball.

‘‘You can look to control the game with the ball, and I really admire the way Brisbane and Adelaide like to play,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘But sometimes that is not necessarily the best way of playing. We have been working on a style that suits the playing group.

‘‘We have been sticking with that pretty diligently and are getting rewards. That builds confidence within the group and hopefully that can keep on getting us results.’’

Postecoglou left the Roar for Melbourne Victory at the start of last season, but Mike Mulvey has continued with the same philosophy.

The Roar travel to Newcastle without Socceroos Matt McKay and Ivan Franjic and injured trio Besart Berisha, Shane Stefanutto and Liam Miller, but van Egmond is expecting little to change.

‘‘We know they will line up in a 4-3-3, playing with two eights but with what personnel remains to be seen,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘If you lose quality it does have an impact, but they have good depth and are not winning the comp by a fluke.’’

Jacob Pepper is on standby for Sam Gallaway (knee) at left back in the only likely change to the Jets.

Marquee striker Emile Heskey is set to again start on the bench in his second game back from a knee injury.

‘‘Sammy has been carrying his knee a little bit,’’ van Egmond said. ‘‘We will assess him tomorrow.

‘‘Peps had a very good game against Sydney [at left back] in the pre-season and has done quite well at training.’’

Pepper is one of 12 Jets players on the free agents’ list, which has attracted media attention this week.

Regulars Connor Chapman, Adam Taggart, Ben Kantarovski, Heskey and Kew Jaliens are also off contract.

‘‘Hopefully they can be finalised sooner rather than later,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘The club has a good idea on who they are keen to retain. The process is under way.

‘‘It would be good to get it done, but it is not necessarily that easy, especially with the fact you have a salary cap.

‘‘The fans want to see us retain the best talent, the talent we have been investing in.

‘‘If you are going through barren years, you want to ensure you are getting something out of it down the track.’’

The Jets were yesterday linked to a move for Roar attacking duo Berisha and Dimi Petratos.

‘‘You would have to talk to the club about players who have been specifically targeted,’ van Egmond said.

‘‘In general it is the same players most clubs have targeted.’’

Van Egmond is also off contract and, although he would prefer to have finalised his future, said it was not his priority.

‘‘Coaches are no different to players in that they want to sort their future out,’’ van Egmond said. ‘‘Everyone has families to care for.

‘‘At the same time it is not something that is taking my focus away from the football team.’’

Supposedly we have averaged 42% possession in the games since that first Sydney game. For a half-interesting 'statistical analysis' of the first 5 rounds of the season, see here:

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/a-league...sis-round-1-5/

A lot of it garbage though, and I find myself agreeing with whoever it was a while back who said that statistics and sports is such a stupid American concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    A lot of it garbage though, and I find myself agreeing with whoever it was a while back who said that statistics and sports is such a stupid American concept.
    Hahaha don't let all of the bridges haters see that post! They love their stats, it's the only thing that makes a good player or a team!
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    Hahaha don't let all of the bridges haters see that post! They love their stats, it's the only thing that makes a good player or a team!
    Way to ignore the point yet again.

Honestly, forum gods, if LRO is the kind of new blood we are hoping to attract, can we stop promoting the foz and let them keep their drivel on Facebook instead?

Telling Bridges lovers that he sucks is like telling a kid Santa isn't real.
    It's devastating and they'll cry for a while, but eventually they'll grow up and realize we were right all along.

play the ball not the man

if I have to keep reading this incessant bickering I am just going to start handing out holidays
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Ryan Griffiths tweeted tonight;

Quote Originally Posted by RyuGriff
    Well I'm a free agent again due to a technicality! Anyone want to give me a job?
    Sign him up Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post

Sign him up Jets.
    Why would we do that? We have James Brown!

But in all honesty,

Burns....Taggart......RyGriff
    ............Heskey

Just need to make sure there's a clause in his contract that says he HAS to see out his contract, but I can see the excuse of "we don't have enough space in our cap", despite not having an Australian Marquee.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Why would we do that? We have James Brown!

But in all honesty,

Burns....Taggart......RyGriff
    ............Heskey

Just need to make sure there's a clause in his contract that says he HAS to see out his contract, but I can see the excuse of "we don't have enough space in our cap", despite not having an Australian Marquee.
    Isn't Boo-urns oz marquee?

Quote Originally Posted by northern_swan View Post
    Isn't Boo-urns oz marquee?
    He'll be gone in a month and a bit anyway. Either way, he's not, only Emerton, McKay and Thompson are Aust. Marquees.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post

Sign him up Jets.

What odds he ends up in Smurf colours within the month???

It's not like the Jets management have ever made much effort at resigning his divine brother despite monitoring him and chatting with him on several occassions

Ryan Griffiths?
    What?
    But but but family but but but it's the opportunity of a lifetime but but but
    **** him.
    He left, Middleby was useless enough to give him away.
    We don't need to revisit this whole sorry situation.
    Besides, Middlebys got so many more players contracts and careers to **** up over the next few months he surely hasn't got the time to deal with this bloke.

Also: does (rumored) Ljubo signing with Adamstown Rosebuds go in the local thread or here?
    Where can I buy a buds kit?

Would welcome Ryan back with open arms, though not sure if i could handle another walkout. It's just absolute shit. If we were guarantee'd to have burns for the full season than i may be singing a different tune to this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Ryan Griffiths?
    What?
    But but but family but but but it's the opportunity of a lifetime but but but
    **** him.
    He left, Middleby was useless enough to give him away.
    We don't need to revisit this whole sorry situation.
    Besides, Middlebys got so many more players contracts and careers to **** up over the next few months he surely hasn't got the time to deal with this bloke.
    You forgot to add how he has the short to medium term dreams and expectations of our fans to well and truly **** over as well at his disposal