Page 42 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2013

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    alright now the yearly bridges dick pull is out of the way, sign a proper striker and a proper number 10 and ditch your mutant children experiment
    Agreed. I am just thoroughly bored by the whole operation.

I suspect there ain't much oil in the old well, and signing kids is the only option. Heskey paid for by your old mate Lowy through some complex funding deal, but the rest paid for by the crumbs left over from the Patinack sale. What a job Harvey did on the big fella...

Best just to amalgamate with the coasties and become "Your Hunter Ports Masterfood Central Coast and Newcastle Jet Mariners". Singo will pay for it...

Yeah what else are we gunna talk about in the off season (which starts on Saturday BTW).

Besides, the world is all awesome now, the Knights are top of the league sif anyone's gonna give a toss about the Jets.

ur so depressed man, maybe snake can rig up a hydro setup at the tenz and we can have a couple of zoots before the WSW match

ur so depressed man, maybe snake can rig up a hydro setup at the tenz and we can have a couple of zoots before the WSW match
    Now you are talking, Q!!! Get on it Snake..

jesus would have wanted it

420 blaze it

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-lea...ce-for-Taggart

A dream learning experience for Taggart

Newcastle Jets striker Adam Taggart is not yet 20 years old but already has had the good fortune of being able to learn from four of the best in his position.

Taggart told The World Game how lucky he felt about having previously been a team-mate of Robbie Fowler and Shane Smeltz at Perth Glory, and now Emile Heskey and Michael Bridges at the Jets.

He said it was a grounding any young striker would love to get and that he had tried to make the most of it at the two clubs.

"That sort of learning experience is something you can't buy," Taggart said. "I started off with Robbie at the Glory, and as someone who looked up to him as a kid I thought that was fantastic. I watched him closely and borrowed from his game.

"Next, Shane Smeltz joined the club. He's an unbelieveable finisher, and the way he positions his body in certain situations was something I picked up on.

"All of these guys are great strikers, but there's something different about each of them.

"Heskey does a lot of things a young striker can learn from. He's so good at putting himself between the ball and the defender, and keeping it away from them.

"And his movement in the box is so clever. He makes great runs, but you can also bounce off him with a one-two.

"Bridges is all about the little twists and turns, to try to get away from defenders. He's always trying to get forward when he gets the ball, and I think that's a massively important thing for me to learn.

"He's always looking for someone to feed the ball to, off his runs, so you try to stay alive for him."

Taggart said that while he had learned a lot from being on the field alongside players who had such huge reputations, it was their generous attitude off the field that really struck him.

"They are all pretty humble, considering what they've done in their careers," the Socceroos forward, who played in the EAFF East Asian Cup qualifying tournament, said.

"And that's been an important thing for me to see because it teaches you a lot about how you should act as a footballer.

"Each of them has done a lot to help me, especially Robbie.

"I was only 17 when I started at the Glory and I was so nervous I wasn't even game to talk to Robbie, but he eased me in and I felt the pressure go down.

"He helped me a lot with my game."

With such esteemed peers offering their assistance, Taggart has wasted few opportunities to spend as much time as possible in their company.

"All four of them have been really good to me," he said.

"They've taught me a lot about football and I know I've been lucky to have that experience.

"I've hung out a bit with them away from training and playing as well, and when they start talking about football, and their experiences, it's fascinating."

Taggart is still only 19. He doesn't turn 20 until 2 June, just before he will represent Australia at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Turkey.

He is looking forward to playing there, alongside on-loan Wellington Phoenix forward Corey Gameiro, but is desperately hoping to get some finals football in with Newcastle first.

The Jets are one of the five teams locked in a dogfight for the last two available places in the A-League finals series, and will play Adelaide United at Hindmarsh Stadium on Friday.

Newcastle is sixth, level on points with fifth-placed Sydney FC, one ahead of Brisbane Roar, two ahead of Perth Glory and three ahead of Melbourne Heart, but has played one game more than all of those teams.

Taggart said the Jets have simply got to aim at winning their last two games and hoping that is enough to get through.

"We really needed to get the three points against Perth last weekend, to make sure of things," he said.

"But, although we dominated the game, we didn't get anything out of it and that was really disappointing.

"It makes the next two games massive. The way the comp is, if we win both of them it will probably be enough, so it's all up to us now."

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-lea...ce-for-Taggart

A dream learning experience for Taggart

"It makes the next two games massive. The way the comp is, if we win both of them it will probably be enough..."
    The kid could also do with a little help with his probability analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Sitting at Sydney airport awaiting a flight to Adelaide. May not come back.

Most shortsighted and ****ed up idea Jets have ever come up with.

The Egg has lost the ****ing plot
    Can today get any better, Bridgey signs again, and the Member relocates to annoy the shit out of the Adelaide supporters

Look out Adelaide, one hell of a cranky member is about to " rain " down on you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    Can today get any better, Bridgey signs again, and the Member relocates to annoy the shit out of the Adelaide supporters
    Now that I am in Adelaide **** me dead.

Someone told me this place was just like a big country town and they weren't ****ing wrong. Anyone who hasn't been it is like rocking up to somewhere like Cessnock except the place just goes forever. I am about 3km from the city centre and you look in certain directions and it is like being in the countryside.

City my ARSE

Bad news guys unless Crazy Horse is going off at an insane level better than I expected I ain't moving here.
    I actually can't wait on some level to get the fook out of here and would even consider seriously living on the Gypo Coast before living here

I want to go home
    I want to go home
    This Place is a shithole
    I want to go home

Didn't take your sister with you I hope, they'll give you the honeymoon suite

Someone told me this place was just like a big country town and they weren't ****ing wrong. Anyone who hasn't been it is like rocking up to somewhere like Cessnock except the place just goes forever. I am about 3km from the city centre and you look in certain directions and it is like being in the countryside.

City my ARSE

Bad news guys unless Crazy Horse is going off at an insane level better than I expected I ain't moving here.
    I actually can't wait on some level to get the fook out of here and would even consider seriously living on the Gypo Coast before living here

I want to go home
    I want to go home
    This Place is a shithole
    I want to go home
    Quality analysis.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Adelaide > Kotara South
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Member to move to Adelaide when GVE is anounced as coach there next season and to become MFA

Evergreen Newcastle Jets forward Michael Bridges signs new one-year deal with club

Barry Toohey
    The Daily Telegraph
    March 14, 2013 11:30PM

Michael Bridges has signed a new one-year deal with the Jets. Picture: Waide Maguire

MICHAEL Bridges' Lazarus-like comeback at the age of 34 was complete yesterday after he was re-signed by the Newcastle Jets for a further season.

Now, after resurrecting his own career, his mission becomes saving the club's play-off hopes in Adelaide tonight.

After a shattering loss to Perth a week ago, the Jets sit precariously inside the top six, a point clear of Brisbane and two points ahead of Perth.

But they have just two games left to play while their chief rivals have three so they can't afford to slip up against Adelaide tonight or Western Sydney in the final round.

Bridges will be crucial if the visitors are to advance their cause with marquee striker Emile Heskey still sidelined through injury.

"This game is must-win. We have to get results. We know what we have to do," Bridges said before the squad left Newcastle yesterday.

"Looking back at the Perth game, I thought we played some fantastic football and created a lot of chances.

"We just didn't finish them so if we can go with the same mentally and create the chances and play the football we're trying to aspire to, we'll go down there and get a result for sure."

Jets fans will be hoping the club's decision to hand the popular Bridges a new contract will provide the former England playmaker with an added spur tonight.

His new deal is a reward for his fighting qualities and persistence. Six months ago, Bridges couldn't get a start on the Jets' bench.

Three months ago, he was told by coach Gary van Egmond he wasn't in the club's plans, fullstop.

He put his house on the market thinking if he couldn't get a start with another A-League club, returning to England was a real possibility.

"If I look back six months ago, I would never have seen this coming," he said. "You start doubting it (playing again) but I stuck in with hard work and carried on.

"Hopefully, I've set an example to the young boys in that if you are not getting a game and you are not involved, you work hard and you don't become a bad egg off the park and you stick at it.

"You are always going to get opportunities through suspensions, through injuries. One man's pain is another man's gain and you just have to be ready for that opportunity."

Bridges singled out Jets CEO Robbie Middleby and Hunter Sports Group boss Troy Palmer for having faith in him. Last year, he was retired and was working in the marketing department at the club but was desperate to play again.

That only became possible when former teammate Ali Abbas, a visa player at the time, was granted Australian citizenship, allowing Bridges to make a comeback.

The former Leeds striker is hoping to have his own citizenship finalised in September.
    Might lend some weight to the suggestions that it was not entirely GVE's call to reinstate Bridges.

Good to see he should only be taking up a squad spot now not a visa spot too, but then you look at the stand out quality of our imports and well does GVE really need another spot to waste...

How will Bridges wage work? If he is being payed to work in the emerging jets does that get included in the salary cap or is it just the player component of his wage included?

Quote Originally Posted by westjet View Post
    How will Bridges wage work? If he is being payed to work in the emerging jets does that get included in the salary cap or is it just the player component of his wage included?
    It has happened at other clubs, I'm not sure but someone here should know.

kevin muscat was payed as both a player and an assistant coach at some point in his victory contract. the ratio of cap-payments to coaching-payments i have no idea about though.

it was "well known" that bridges was on 180k prior to his retirement, and was stated by "in the know" people regularly that when he un-retired he was on the same wage, but getting paid the minimum amount in salary cap & the rest as his business development officer or whatever role he had. apparently when he came back this year he, again, was on 180k. but robbie middleby confirmed in his q&a recently that when he signed as a player this time around he no longer had that behind-the-scenes job, which leads me to believe he was getting his normal wage fully in the cap (and we struggle with salary cap each year, in case you haven't heard robbie middleby say it 50 times by now).

tl;dr - they can somehow split wages between cap payments & off-field jobs. i have an inkling it'd be easier for sydney to get away with it as opposed to newcastle, but that's just a hunch.
    OK

City my ARSE

I want to go home
    I want to go home
    This Place is a shithole
    I want to go home
    Surprised they let you in seeing as it's all free settler folk and not convict scum like us Novo folk.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Surprised they let you in seeing as it's all free settler folk and not convict scum like us Novo folk.
    I am going incognito. Will be leaving the hotel in an hour where my Novo Roots will be on display for all Adelaide to see