Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2755

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2013

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    literally doesn't make any sense for the games to not be on sbs
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

soccer comes home...

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    literally doesn't make any sense for the games to not be on sbs
    Apart from the paltry $2 million that 7 has paid for the rights. Absolutely senseless...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Wonder if they will have this shown ive on 7, or if they will shift it over to 7two or 7mate. Ten would have been a much better fit.
    Despite 7 screwing soccer over back in the days of the NSL at this point in time we need all stations to WANT our product. It is time to turn the other cheek and bury the hatchet

The greater the enthusiasm Foxtel Nine Seven SBS Ten have for football in this country will see the negotiated TV deal in 4 years time be worth more and more

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Despite 7 screwing soccer over back in the days of the NSL at this point in time we need all stations to WANT our product. It is time to turn the other cheek and bury the hatchet

The greater the enthusiasm Foxtel Nine Seven SBS Ten have for football in this country will see the negotiated TV deal in 4 years time be worth more and more
    Exactly. If the game can pull huge viewing audiences, it will be a massive boost for the sport in this country.

Cause that SFC v LA Galaxy game on free to air did wonder for the game....

Bring back C7 sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    Cause that SFC v LA Galaxy game on free to air did wonder for the game....
    Cause Shitney FC vs Beckham and a bunch of Yanks is on par with one of the most famous teams in the world in ANY sport...

Money talks I know, but Channel 7...c'mon!
    They will never be forgiven and should never be allowed anything to do with Football.

I'm really looking forward to the constant ads for My Kitchen Rules and Revenge when the ball goes out of play and having Sandy Roberts and Bruce the Goose commentating...Rooney runs to 50, speeeeciiiallll!

FFS..Gallop I like you, but Channel 7 is a no go!

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjet View Post
    Apart from the paltry $2 million that 7 has paid for the rights. Absolutely senseless...
    didn't read the article tbh ops:
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Quote Originally Posted by FaroeMassive View Post
    Money talks I know, but Channel 7...c'mon!
    They will never be forgiven and should never be allowed anything to do with Football.
    oh good golly. are you seriously right now?

You honestly think Ch 7 is going to ruin football by televising a couple of kickabouts?
    $2 million and the chance to broaden the reach of football vs sweet **** all cash and Craig Foster banging on about "well its not Barca but it'll do derp derp derp".

give up the grudge.
    its football but not as we know it innit.

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    didn't read the article tbh ops:
    -1 point for the knee jerk reaction.
    +2 points for being honest.

Net gain, well in.

Kochie and Mel to call the game.

Grant Denyer on the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    oh good golly. are you seriously right now?

You honestly think Ch 7 is going to ruin football by televising a couple of kickabouts?
    $2 million and the chance to broaden the reach of football vs sweet **** all cash and Craig Foster banging on about "well its not Barca but it'll do derp derp derp".

give up the grudge.
    its football but not as we know it innit.
    Obviously you were not around in the Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters era!

I didn't say that it will ruin Football to have 2 matches on 7, just that no matter what money they throw at it I don't think they should ever be allowed to broadcast Football again.

And trust me it will easily be the worst coverage of a Football match you will ever see. Filled with ads and special comments by some jerk in a suit who will be surprised when Beckham doesn't run onto the park.

Craig Foster > Channel 7

^^^ Tend to agree a little...it was C7 who put the NSL highlights on, firstly at midnight, and then went all out to buy the rights and then not show any highlights at all so that they could give exclusive coverage to AFL.

Australian Broadcasting Corporation

TV PROGRAM TRANSCRIPT

LOCATION: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2002/s715216.htm

Broadcast: 30/10/2002
    Soccer crisis escalating

Reporter: Peter Wilkins

KERRY O'BRIEN: Australian soccer missed out on a financial bonanza when the Socceroos failed to make the World Cup finals.

Now the game's governing body, Soccer Australia, is walking the tightrope of insolvency.

Crowds have plummeted for the national league and there's no television coverage of games.

Therein lies the key to this ongoing financial crisis.

The Seven TV network wants to re-negotiate its 10-year TV rights deal with Soccer Australia following the demise of its pay tv arm - C-7.

Seven wants to focus on international matches, ignore the national league, and pay less than the original contract figure for the privilege.

But as Peter Wilkins reports, the contract wrangle not only threatens to split the sport's already-divided board -- it may even result in a strike by players.

PETER WILKINS: The most watched sporting event in Australia this year - the World Cup soccer final.

Bigger than AFL and rugby league Grand Finals, 3.5 million viewers nationally.

For lovers of the local game in Australia, bad luck.

The national league season's in full swing and you can't see a match.

BRANKO CULINA, COACH, SYDNEY UNITED: I've seen some games where they're equal to any of the games overseas.

Some of the goals that we've seen at the NSL level this year have been absolutely world class.

But unfortunately no TV coverage, no-one can see it.

PETER WILKINS: Four years ago, the then chairman of Soccer Australia, David Hill, signed a 10-year TV rights deal with the Seven Network, the richest in the game's history.

Much to the frustration of stakeholders in the game, Seven farmed out the national league matches to the ABC and to its pay TV arm C7.

With the collapse of C7, no games are broadcast at all.

BRANCO CULINA: A lot of us believe that the game deserves better.

Earlier this year, Seven sought to renegotiate the deal, downgrading the value of the contract by about $6 million.

Seven also wanted to off-load coverage of the national league games.

Soccer chairman Ian Knop is under pressure from members of his own board to walk away from the Seven deal when the board meets next Monday.

IAN KNOP, CHAIRMAN, SOCCER AUSTRALIA: We're going to be discussing it for the Seven contract.

The issues around it are complex for the sport.

But, like Channel 7 has lost their pay TV operator.

So that changes not just the implications for soccer but it changes for all the other sports that are on pay.

And so we're in a difficult position, but so is Seven.

And the board is going to be discussing those issues.

And making some recommendations to the stakeholders.

And looking at the options.

PETER WILKINS: What are the positives, though, from your perspective of going through with the Channel 7 deal?

Why do you see it as being good for the game?

IAN KNOP: It's interesting how I've been quoted as being a huge supporter of Channel 7 et cetera, et cetera.

And I haven't actually made any public comment until now.

I think, what soccer has to do is look at the best commercial options and if Seven is one of those, terrific.

PETER WILKINS: But in a bizarre twist, the Seven Network has said Soccer Australia has already agreed to the new deal and today called on the board to acknowledge this publicly.

In a letter sent to all board members, Seven executive Shane Wood, until recently an observer on the board's financial activities, says: SHANE WOOD, SEVEN NETWORK, NEW MEDIA (TRANSCRIPT): In August 2002, following months of discussion, Seven and Soccer Australia successfully renegotiated the existing agreement.

There is a binding arrangement in place between Soccer Australia and Seven.

PETER WILKINS: That contradicts several Soccer Australia board members who've told the 7:30 Report there's been no authority given to clinch such a deal.

They point out that more than $1 million is still owing under the terms of the original contract.

Why is Channel 7 withholding a payment at the moment from their contract?

IAN KNOP: Look, I don't particularly want to comment on that.

That's between Soccer Australia and Channel 7.

PETER WILKINS: But it is putting a gun to Soccer Australia's head with this withholding of the payment?

IAN KNOP: I don't particularly want to comment.

My information is that it's quite a significant amount of money -- $630,000, from June.

It's $583,000 to be truthful I don't want to comment.

PETER WILKINS: Is another payment due now?

IAN KNOP: I don't want to comment.

PETER WILKINS: This afternoon, Seven confirmed to the 7:30 Report that it has not made these payments because: SHANE WOOD, SEVEN NETWORK, NEW MEDIA (TRANSCRIPT): There was a strong sense they would not honour the agreement and Seven did not want to be in a position of throwing good money after bad.

PETER WILKINS: The players Association, with a 30 per cent stake in all media rights, is strongly opposed to the new deal.

BRENDAN SCHWAB, PLAYERS' ASSOCIATION: It will bring about the demise of the National Soccer League as we know it.

Soccer Australia will be simply unable to finance the NSL beyond the current season and the clubs won't be able to pick up the tab for next year.

PETER WILKINS: This afternoon, the Players' Association advised the 7:30 Report that a player strike was possible if any deal had been agreed upon without its consultation.

BRENDAN SCHWAB: The point of view is a preferred outcome to the Channel Seven contract.

PETER WILKINS: Without the Channel Seven money, are you insolent?

IAN KNOP: No, we're not.

PETER WILKINS: Channel Seven is disappointed at the state of political infighting in the game they see as devaluing the property.

SHANE WOOD, SEVEN NETWORK, NEW MEDIA (TRANSCRIPT): The public coverage of this in-fighting has, without doubt, been responsible for bringing the game of soccer into serious disrepute in Australia.

BRANCO CULINA: I think our biggest problem is that we're always chasing money and making decisions that will affect us later on.

It's a bit like a gambler, you know, who goes out there and is losing money and to get money continues to get themselves into deeper and deeper problems.

ANDY HARPER, FORMER PLAYER AND COMMENTATOR: Well Peter, we've got to start again, totally.

The whole thing needs to be reconstituted.

Yo don't get rid of the muck in the bowl unless you hit the flush button.

PETER WILKINS: Andy Harper is sick of the decisive politics which he feels have held the game back.

ANDY HARPER: To a point there's agreement on what needs to be done.

But as soon as someone's neck is on the block, that agreement goes out the window and we start fighting for the votes again and the football side of things is neglected year after year after year.

PETER WILKINS: It's another crucial powerplay in Soccer Australia's history.

Chairman Ian Knop, trying to reform the game by initiating a government inquiry into the sport, has alienated himself and with the Seven deal, handing them rights to the cream of the game until 2010 given detractors a reason to call for his resignation.

The inquiry findings can't come soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Kochie and Mel to call the game.

Grant Denyer on the sidelines.
    Nice one

The bloke from better homes commenting on the quality of the pitch.

celebrity half-time moto-cross race with lara bingle, tom waterhouse, the current miss australia and wendy harmer. game abandoned due to poor state of the pitch in the second half.

hair lip harmer...forgot about her
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

It means an A-League presence on free-to-air TV for the first time since Channel Ten showed David Beckham's LA Galaxy against Sydney FC in 2007.
    The deal with Channel 7 comes in the wake of a broadcast deal for the whole A-League starting with the coming season that has one game a week, every Friday night, shown on SBS, as well as all five games each weekend broadcast on Fox Sports.
    It's believed that Channel Ten also bid to show the two showpiece games in July, which were sold independently of each other, but were outbid by Channel 7, despite its broadcast of AFL every Saturday night.
    This has fkall to do with the aleague. Its a piece of meaningless advert for some supposed o/s teams that most people hear about in the mainstream media coming to "play" some dudes who less than 1% of our population know about. This is about having a condescending laugh at the 5th aussie sport for a few minutes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FaroeMassive View Post
    Obviously you were not around in the Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters era!

I didn't say that it will ruin Football to have 2 matches on 7, just that no matter what money they throw at it I don't think they should ever be allowed to broadcast Football again.

And trust me it will easily be the worst coverage of a Football match you will ever see. Filled with ads and special comments by some jerk in a suit who will be surprised when Beckham doesn't run onto the park.

Craig Foster > Channel 7
    I was around in the days when NO ONE SCREWS SOCKAH LIKE CHANNEL 7 and they ****ed up the NSL by buying the TV rights and killing it off and butchered the **** out of the Socceroos games. I agree they are a bunch of first class ****s for what they did.

End of the day we need the likes of them Channel 9 and Channel 10 interested in our product POINT BLANK. If the only 2 options for TV rights are SBS who are government funded and have **** all cash to offer and Foxtel then we are pretty much stuck with what SBS can cough up and what Foxtel offer up as a token offering. As soon as 7-9-10 start showing serious interest in the TV rights we are stuck getting the dregs left over. Demand from competition will be the only thing that will see Foxtel up the offer seriously

Look at how much the AFL benefited a TV deal or so back when Kerry Packer via Channel 9 got into a bidding war with Channel 7 and Foxtel for the TV rights. The AFL got like $780 million which was a ginormous deal for them.

As for how bad the coverage is who gives a ****?? They are preseason kick abouts that will be hard enough viewing for seasoned football fans. These events are there to attract the new fan and cater to the starstruck celebrity following wankers out there. WHo cares how bad the coverage is.

On another note Channel 7 should be the last ****s to ever get serious Football TV rights in this country on principal for what they done.

This being said we need to bury the hatchet with them for our ****ing good