Page 116 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2755

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2013

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    We should be trying to develop world class players not paying overs for kids who at best will be fringe A-league players. If they are good enough money will never be an issue.
    I agree we should be developing players for the future but while clubs continue to use the NYL system as a means for their first team extras to keep match fit you will be sacrificing the chance for youth players to have a chance to impress and develop. I will bet the first NYL game for Newy will have at least 5 or 6 players that are in the first team group playing.

The money side of youth development should be structured to have a wage/allowance component for the players but also an educational component to set them up should they not reach HAL level and they can then follow a different path.

Quote Originally Posted by Local Rules View Post
    I agree we should be developing players for the future but while clubs continue to use the NYL system as a means for their first team extras to keep match fit you will be sacrificing the chance for youth players to have a chance to impress and develop. I will bet the first NYL game for Newy will have at least 5 or 6 players that are in the first team group playing.

The money side of youth development should be structured to have a wage/allowance component for the players but also an educational component to set them up should they not reach HAL level and they can then follow a different path.
    Do some more research next time.
    NYL can only have 4 players over 20 on the team sheet, IMO having teams using NYL as a way of keeping squad players match fit benefits the quality of the NYL hence benefitting the development of the kids. You only have to look at how well Taylor keeps the kids organized when he plays NYL to see that.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Do some more research next time.
    NYL can only have 4 players over 20 on the team sheet, IMO having teams using NYL as a way of keeping squad players match fit benefits the quality of the NYL hence benefitting the development of the kids. You only have to look at how well Taylor keeps the kids organized when he plays NYL to see that.
    I wasn't saying they would be overage players I said they would be first team players and with the age of our squad this is a possibility. My argument is the NYL squad should be a development league (which it was supposed to be) for players that are not considered first squad material but are working towards it. If you are bringing players back or playing them there when they are in the top 23 then what is the development for those players playing at a lower level then they already are. Last year it was Chapman, Oxborrow, Brown, Caravella, Bridges, Kennedy, Hoole, Virgilli, Reagan, Pepper etc that were regularly in and out of the youth side. Get the Youth back to the development stage it should be.

So let me get this straight - we should stop spending money on the older players and concentrate on youth?
    Did no-one watch the Jets last season?
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Local Rules View Post
    I wasn't saying they would be overage players I said they would be first team players and with the age of our squad this is a possibility. My argument is the NYL squad should be a development league (which it was supposed to be) for players that are not considered first squad material but are working towards it. If you are bringing players back or playing them there when they are in the top 23 then what is the development for those players playing at a lower level then they already are. Last year it was Chapman, Oxborrow, Brown, Caravella, Bridges, Kennedy, Hoole, Virgilli, Reagan, Pepper etc that were regularly in and out of the youth side. Get the Youth back to the development stage it should be.
    Don't you think the likes of Campbell,Lundy,Remington & Bradbery would gain more experience playing with or against the likes of people you mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I'm not really sure what Arnie's point is...

Even if he had 50 young blokes signed up, only 14 can get a run each week. How many of his 23? man squad are going to get decent/consistent game time?

If he has twice the number of youth players, does that mean they'll get half as much game time? So instead of 4 young guys playing 6 games each, he'll play 8 young guys for 3 games each?

Best solution for the future is more clubs = more players playing professionally & more matches (possibly midweek and a need to rotate the squad more).

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Don't you think the likes of Campbell,Lundy,Remington & Bradbery would gain more experience playing with or against the likes of people you mentioned.
    While I admit there are benefits from them playing with the higher calibre players of the ones you listed Remington is moving to Lambton next year alongside Abe Wheelhouse, Bradbury is likely to be done with the Jets as he is behind Taggz, Burns, Brown, Virgilli, Hoole. Lundy is also in the same position but may be OK if he is given a chance. A lot of these youth guys don't get the chance to play with the names coming back as they are used as substitutes for the first team members and as such get less time in a competitive game situation then normal.

The aim of the club should be to get as many youth players as they can up to a level and then choose the best players from that for the Youth squad and I think this will happen through the emerging Jets but the club also needs to be encouraging the State League clubs to produce better quality youth players through their sides to give the Jets a bigger range to choose from. Unfortuanately I think NNSWFF has blinkers on when offering potential candidates to the Jets and rely on the old if they aren't good enough at 10 years old they won't be good enough later.

Anyone see the Jets poster in today's Herald?
    Pepps rocking the Thor haircut.
    My new favorite player.
    Give him a run Van Egmond ya ****ern.

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    So let me get this straight - we should stop spending money on the older players and concentrate on youth?
    Did no-one watch the Jets last season?
    Personally, I thought that was the goal of the NPL, to blood more youngsters and get rid of the "has-beens" but with the shitstorm that has caused both inside and outside Victoria for a semi-pro league, imagine what it would cause for a professional league!
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Ridiculous.

Marquee A-League games in Sydney will lack the visual crowd displays of last year after NSW Police banned supporters unveiling large-scale banners at specific fixtures as part of a clampdown on the behaviour of football fans.

Supporter groups were told large ''pull-over'' banners that cover entire bays would not be permitted at games the police deem ''high-risk'', and any banner greater than two metres by two metres would need prior police approval. These fixtures include three games between Western Sydney Wanderers and Sydney FC and Sydney FC's games against Melbourne Victory.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/socce...010-2vbiq.html

Hope they don't mind my 8m banner today...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Ridiculous.

Marquee A-League games in Sydney will lack the visual crowd displays of last year after NSW Police banned supporters unveiling large-scale banners at specific fixtures as part of a clampdown on the behaviour of football fans.

Supporter groups were told large ''pull-over'' banners that cover entire bays would not be permitted at games the police deem ''high-risk'', and any banner greater than two metres by two metres would need prior police approval. These fixtures include three games between Western Sydney Wanderers and Sydney FC and Sydney FC's games against Melbourne Victory.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/socce...010-2vbiq.html
    They simply don't get it, do they Grim...

just wait till hey ban Frisbees at games. then Grim will really kickoff

Burns keen to press claims for Cup berth
    By ROBERT DILLON
    Oct. 10, 2013, 11 p.m.

NATHAN Burns will get his chance to leave a lasting first impression when he replaces Jets veteran Michael Bridges in the starting side for tonight’s season-opener against Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium.

Burns, Newcastle’s highly rated loan signing from Korean club Incheon United, was expected to be deployed as an interchange impact player.

Instead he will replace Bridges at No.10.

Bridges strained his groin in an intra-club trial match last week. Jets coach Gary van Egmond said he would be rested for the round-two clash with Perth at Hunter Stadium on Sunday week.

‘‘We’re not going to risk him. Not at this stage of the year,’’ van Egmond said.

He admitted the Jets would miss the creativity and experience of Bridges, especially with English import Emile Heskey (knee) also sidelined.

He was confident Burns’s passing game would help exploit the pace of Adam Taggart, James Virgili and Craig Goodwin.

‘‘Nathan can play in a various number of roles,’’ van Egmond said. ‘‘He can probably play anywhere across the front third.

‘‘He really enjoys playing as a 10 and that’s where he’ll play tomorrow ... it offers a different challenge to Sydney and it gives us a different direction in how we can play the game, in what Nathan offers as a 10 compared to Bridgey.

‘‘Both are very good in their own right.’’

Newcastle’s loan deal with Incheon expires on January 11, which means Burns has until the round-14 clash with Melbourne Victory to stamp his class on the A-League.

A seven-time Socceroos representative, he made his debut in the A-League as a teenager and scored nine goals for Adelaide in 28 games before he was signed by Greek giant AEK Athens and eventually heading to Korea.

After playing just three games in the K-League last season, he is eager to rack up some consistent game time with Newcastle and stake a claim for a World Cup berth.

Taggart, meanwhile, was looking forward to the challenge of leading Newcastle’s attack in Heskey’s absence.

The 20-year-old scored only two goals in his 19 games for the Jets last season – 10 of which were off the bench – and feels ready to improve his strike rate.

‘‘There’s a great side here and in terms of service and things like that, I’m really looking forward to it,’’ he said. ‘‘I don’t like to set a number of goals I want to score.

‘‘I think taking each game as it comes, and trying to finish every chance that you get is the main thing.’’

Van Egmond said the Jets had paid no attention to reports Sydney would field a team depleted by injuries.

‘‘It doesn’t matter to us,’’ he said. ‘‘They’ll put on a competitive team.’’

He also remained unconcerned that most bookmakers and media pundits regard the Jets as premiership long shots.

‘‘I’m sure West Sydney Wanderers were in a similar position last year and we all know what happened there,’’ van Egmond said.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/18...-berth/?cs=306
    So we don't even have burns for all of January, blokes probably going to be lucky to play 8 or so games for us, on the bright side at least it gives bridges his 8 weeks to get back to "The fittest I've been in years"

Baartz confident Jets can win comp
    By ROBERT DILLON
    Oct. 10, 2013, 11:30 p.m.

NEWCASTLE football legend Ray Baartz believes the Jets have no weaknesses and no reason to fear anyone as they prepare to launch a season of redemption against Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium tonight.

Having missed the play-offs for the past three years, Newcastle will kick off this campaign as $26 long shots for the A-League title.

But Baartz, the Jets chairman and former Socceroo, is confident Gary van Egmond’s troops will improve on last season, when they finished eighth, one point away from the top six.

He believes a finals berth is the minimum they should aim to achieve.

‘‘I think if everybody plays to the maximum of their ability, and if we have a good run without injuries, I don’t think we need to fear anybody,’’ he said yesterday.

‘‘We did beat most of the top teams last year, but then consistency let us down a little bit.

‘‘But with the experience we’ve got now, I think we’ve got a squad that’s the equal of any in the league ... we’re a realistic chance of challenging for any honours.’’

Baartz said the recruitment of former Netherlands World Cup defender Kew Jaliens, Socceroos hopeful Nathan Burns [on loan] and young striker Joey Gibbs had reinforced van Egmond’s roster in crucial areas.

‘‘I look at the squad and I don’t think we’ve got a weakness anywhere.

‘‘We’re putting a lot of expectation on making the top four, or at least the top six. Anything less than that would be a big disappointment.’’

The Jets beat the top three teams, Central Coast, Western Sydney and Melbourne Victory, in the first six rounds last season but stumbled on the tightrope walk into the finals when they lost three of their last four games.

Baartz said some of Newcastle’s players were ‘‘probably a bit immature at times last year’’, especially in defence, but would benefit from lessons learned the hard way.

‘‘We faltered towards the end because a lot of our players lacked experience. They’ll be better for that. We feel we’ve got a lot of depth and quality there and competition for places.

‘‘I’m very confident the young players will kick on after the experience they gained last year, so there’s a lot of excitement and a lot of anticipation. My hopes are pretty high, to be honest with you.’’

He said the confidence of tyros like Connor Chapman, Josh Brillante and Craig Goodwin should be ‘‘sky high’’ with a full A-League season behind them and the experience they had gained in national teams.

English veterans Emile Heskey (knee) and Michael Bridges (groin) are unavailable, but Baartz was confident the Jets were ready to make a statement against Sydney tonight.

‘‘We had a team dinner last night and the mood and the spirit is only positive. I just think everything’s pointing towards a really exciting season.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/18...p-poll/?cs=303
    Let me help you Ray.

CAM, we lack a creative spark in the middle of the park, bridges is just a really weak make shift CAM, Burns does not really count as he could very well be pissing off back to Korea come the first week of January.

We also lack a solid first choice left back, Galloway is ok but no stand out and does not offer enough in attack where he wastes chances to provide for the front men. Goodwin looks to be moved further forward these days under GVE so I'm not counting him, even then his defence is not really solid, but has much better abilities pushing up the field.

So the Jets just announced on Facey that the Premier is the new "away" match venue?

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...er-Hotel/76886

Part i

onfield enforcer knows how to cruise
    by james gardiner
    oct. 10, 2013, 11 p.m.

it’s the best 12 grand he ever spent, ruben zadkovich boasts as he turns the ignition in his kombi van.

The mustard yellow, 1972 lowlight camper – surfboard and wetsuit in the back – is the ugly duckling in a collection of the latest models, including a porsche and various audis parked at the jets training base.

Sunglasses on, a customary wave out the window and off down the road the kombi roars.

Say hello to the other side of the jets captain – the laid-back bulli boy who makes the trek down the coast to his home break, sandon point, whenever he needs a dose of reality.

It is a complete 180 degrees from the character most fans are familiar with – the intense, vein-bursting, dog-at-a-bone midfielder who treats every game, every tackle as though life depended on it.

‘‘people often form opinions based on how i play,’’ zadkovich said.

‘‘in my case, and i’m sure in many other cases, it is totally different.

‘‘when i cross that white line i will do anything to win. I don’t care whether i’m liked or not.

‘‘i hope there is 50,000 hating on me at allianz stadium against sydney on friday. As long as we win.

‘‘but when i’m off the field, i care and want to be a good person.

‘‘i have always tried to keep my feet on the ground and be good to people.

‘‘if you do that i find people are very good back to you.

‘‘in newcastle, that is ten-fold.’’

zadkovich makes no apology for his combative on-field style, nor does he intend to curb it.

If a ball is there to be won, a tackle to be made, the jets no.8 is front and centre.

He does, however, object to the well-subscribed theory that he is a loose cannon, easily baited to the point where he snaps. One red card in 70 games for the jets adds weight to his protest.

‘‘sometimes people think a reaction and a rash challenge is something that happens out of instinct,’’ zadkovich said.

‘‘people will see a bad tackle on someone and say ‘ruben has lost his head’.

‘‘what they don’t know is that i made the decision that i am going to go in and tackle this guy as hard as i can. That is what i feel in that moment he deserves or what our team needs.

‘‘it is a conscious decision. I don’t do things without thinking. Everything is calculated.’’

it is a competitive streak instilled in him as a boy.

The youngest son of a former champion queensland bush rugby league five-eighth, the blond-haired tearaway learned to fend for himself and fast.

‘‘dad captained darling downs and won toowoomba grand finals at a pretty good standard,’’ zadkovich said.

‘‘i don’t think it was that though. Me and my brothers chose soccer and played from a young age.

‘‘being the youngest, simon and luke used to smash me. Carrying on and sulking was never going to work. I had to try harder or do whatever i could to win.

‘‘as i got older and stronger, the battles got bigger and harder.

‘‘football is a game where i have often said nice guys finish last.

‘‘you get a select few in different sports – people like [knights legend] danny buderus, he is an all-round, stand-up guy.

‘‘not many people with his kindness make it to the top.

‘‘you have to find the balance of when to flick the switch.’’

simon, now 32, is a remote area nurse in north-east arnhem land. Luke, 30, is a london-based lawyer.

‘‘they are both very good at what they do,’’ zadkovich said.

Ruben, 27, went down the path of football.

‘‘i left the wollongong wolves at 17 to play in the local league with my two brothers at bulli and got a job as a brickie’s labourer,’’ he said.

‘‘i worked for a couple of months until i had enough money to buy an open return ticket to england.

‘‘i rang all 92 clubs from premier league teams all the way through to league two.

‘‘the ones who wrote back were gillingham and luton town, and they both said ‘sorry but we are not interested’.

‘‘eventually through [former wollongong and jets midfielder] noel spencer, he knew an agent called simon thompson, who knew the youth director at queens park rangers. I ended up getting a one-day trial.

‘‘first-team manager ian holloway happened to watch me score a goal, called me over and told me that i was training with him for the next two weeks.

‘‘shortly after that i signed a professional contract for qpr.

‘‘bar for noel spencer knowing simon thompson it wouldn’t have happened.

‘‘i was told in wollongong that i wasn’t good enough and had the wrong attitude.

‘‘i went to the other side of the world and got a contract on my own back.

‘‘a year later i make the australian under-20 side, sign for sydney, win an a-league grand final and go on to play for the socceroos.

‘‘now i am captain of the newcastle jets.

‘‘it’s funny because people say ‘you’re lucky’.

‘‘in many respects we are lucky as footballers because of the lifestyle and how it is.

‘‘but make no mistakes, other than health-wise and having a good body to get to this stage, luck didn’t play the biggest part.

‘‘it was my attitude and my determination. I know that i have earned what i have got. That’s why i work so hard to keep it, and that’s why i want to keep pushing forward.’’

Part II

To pigeon-hole Zadkovich purely as an enforcer is under-selling him.

You don’t get signed as an 18-year-old by QPR, later move to then Premier League club Derby County, score Australia’s only goal at the Beijing Olympics, and earn three senior national team caps, the latest in July, if you are one dimensional.

‘‘People focus on his physical capabilities,’’ coach Gary van Egmond said.

‘‘He has very good technique in regards to his passing ability and a lovely first touch.

‘‘He is really working hard in regards to his positioning in midfield.

‘‘You can see he has taken things on board to improve his game and has reaped the benefits with his Socceroos call up.

‘‘He is 27 but there is still more for him to improve.’’

There is no doubt that the captaincy, and the maturity required to lead, has aided Zadkovich’s development.

Pitched into the role after the injury and then mid-season departure of Jobe Wheelhouse, Zadkovich admitted the armband had forced a change in mindset.

‘‘You realise you have more people looking at you to set the standards and lead by example,’’ he said.

‘‘That was not always the case early on in my career.

‘‘I used to just work hard. If I was having an off day, I was having an off day.

‘‘It didn’t really affect everyone else. Now as a leader it does affect everyone.

‘‘I am still a young captain and I want to learn and get better.

‘‘I know on the weekend in a proper competitive A-League match, I work hard and my competitiveness is there to see.

‘‘That is the example I want to set for the boys and I really feel they will follow.

‘‘In other areas of captaincy I want to improve and keep learning.’’

Zadkovich has the benefit of a number experienced heads in the dressing room. Guys to bounce ideas off and seek advice.

Emile Heskey played more than 350 games in the English Premier League and represented England. Michael Bridges also came through the English top tier. Kew Jaliens has 10 caps for Holland and Zenon Caravella built a wealth of knowledge at four A-League clubs.

‘‘They are people I turn to all the time,’’ he said.

‘‘I want to learn from my peers and be the best captain I can be.

‘‘When we have had a few of those talks, they say ‘you see things in black and white’. Sometimes it needs to be said or needs to be done this way’.

‘‘I have always had a strong relationship with Dutchy [coach Gary van Egmond].

‘‘He gives me feedback and pulls me into line when I need to be.

‘‘If there is something I disagree with I can talk to him about it. He will listen but he has the final say.

‘‘Whatever he wants me to do, I will do it to the best of my ability.

‘‘There are times when you have a difference of opinion. That is a healthy thing.’’

It was inevitable that captain and coach would butt heads.

Van Egmond agreed that ‘‘you need conflict’’ before adding ‘‘it needs to be the right type of conflict’’.

‘‘It’s not about flying off the handle, it’s about analysing what is going on, having a chat, stating your opinion and backing it up with facts,’’ he said.

‘‘I have no doubts the captaincy has helped Ruben’s game.

‘‘His mentality mirrors the spirit of the town,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘I know he takes a lot of pride and really feels a sense of honour that he is leading the boys.’’

A

part from ‘‘leading the boys’’ Zadkovich takes the responsibility of representing the region and its people very seriously.

‘‘Some of the friends I have made in this town, I can tell they will be lifelong friends,’’ he said.

‘‘When I first arrived three years ago, I was lucky enough to get looked after by a guy named Tim Woolf.

‘‘He was a friend of a friend and he took me in for three months.

‘‘He is a Merewether boy, plays [rugby] for the Greens. Through him I met a whole bunch of people my age who have nothing to do with football.

‘‘They follow it now and give me a bit of stick about the game.

‘‘Like most people in Newcastle, they just get behind their team. Even if they are not massive soccer fans, they still get behind the Jets.

‘‘Most Newcastle people are very proud of the people who represent them.

‘‘Now I feel like one of the Merewether boys. It is good to be able to go for a surf with those guys away from my teammates.’’

Which brings us to the Kombi.

‘‘It is one of the best things I have bought,’’ he said.

‘‘To be able to get in that car, pick up a couple of mates, throw the boards in the back and go for a surf or cruise the scenic way to Bulli.

‘‘Going back to Bulli, especially in that car, stripping things back to the basics, sometimes it is the best things in life.

‘‘It reminds me of where I was as a 17-year-old and where I am now.

‘‘I never want to change. I don’t see myself as a celebrity or star.

‘‘I see myself as a normal bloke. I’m a Bulli boy and now I’m one of the Merewether boys.

‘‘That’s who I am, an average Novocastrian.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/18...cruise/?cs=306
    Rubez

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    So the Jets just announced on Facey that the Premier is the new "away" match venue?

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...er-Hotel/76886
    Bit surprised by this with the duke recently signing up as the after game function venue, I would have thought they would have been the preferred away game venue too, guess they didn't put enough cash forward for that.

Asian Champions League a possibility for SA state league clubs

Val Migliaccio
    The Advertiser
    October 10, 2013 7:58PM

FOOTBALL Federation Australia is thinking about awarding the FFA Cup winner a spot in the lucrative AFC Champions League.

Potentially all clubs entering the Cup competition - from A-League to the nation's state league outfits - have chances to face the best teams in Asia in the multi-million dollar competition.

The inaugural FFA Cup kicks off for state league clubs from February with A-League clubs expected to enter the round-of-32 from July.

''The FFA Cup winner over time could gain entry to the AFC Champions League,'' declared A-League head Damien De Bohun.

''It's not resolved yet but the theme of the FFA Cup is connecting to grassroots football.''

De Bohun was with FFA head of community football Emma Highwood in Adelaide on Thursday for discussions with Reds officials over the FFA's preferred model for Adelaide United's youth side.

FFA wants all A-League clubs branded as their own identity and working towards a common goal in all state league competitions through club youth teams.

De Bohun said FFA prefers all A-League sides to have its reserves playing for 10 months of the year to suit the FFA's integrated pathway plan after Adelaide last month announced a satellite club agreement with Enfield City.

The move was not sanctioned by FFA when Perth Glory - after the club's attempt to enter the state league via a club partner in WA failed - was earlier this month endorsed by FFA as the new role model development club.

Glory will field a side in its state league competition and the club will draw its players from the integrated pathway.

Newcastle Jets is another model club fielding its youth side and other junior sides in the northern NSW state league competitions.
    Can't see it happening, any state league team would fail a number of the ACL entry requirements, would be better to aim for the Suzuki cup or Singapore Cup to reward the highest placed state league team, while the highest HAL team to take the ACL berth as per the ACL reg's for domestic cups.