Page 2 of 138 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2013

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Could this mean the return of maj?

Will never forget the night at the late Fannys where he offered me 200 dollars for some pills
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    Will never forget the night at the late Fannys where he offered me 200 dollars for some pills
    Security, Security

Has Gypo germs in him now. Don't need him.

Quote Originally Posted by la bazzle View Post
    Hope so. Knows where the goal is

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    ops

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Hope so. Knows where the goal is
    Lol wrong maj, he mean maaaj not maj. Getit?

Love ya stu, welcome home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    It's was criticism because the discussion was about rego cost and you stated ours is higher than yours

Quote Originally Posted by la bazzle View Post
    Stu probs knows he's safe to return with the major being in Amsterdam
    Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    It's was criticism because the discussion was about rego cost and you stated ours is higher than yours

Hope stu can get back on the paddock.

coming back to enforce his vengeance on the thief of his dinner imo

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    interesting analysis of crowd numbers so far this season

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/lets-tak...ore-closely-2/

Good link boz. Some interesting stats in there, not sure I agree with all of the analysis that went with it. Any guesses which city the writer is from?

Very much a rose coloured look at some of Sydney's crowds. To say they haven't been affected by poor performances is a bit much. Apart from the derbies and blockbuster games their average wouldn't be above 15,000.
    Also not sure if I agree on the winning/losing thing. He says that winning doesn't boost crowds hugely, but I'd take a stab and say that losing lowers them.

Good confirmation about Sunday games and games against shit teams no one cares about though. All in all it would be good if the analysis was done again at the end of the season, data comparison would probably be a bit more valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

One set of rules for Jardel another set for Stu. Ah - the consistency of GVE.

Depleted Sky Blues look to Brazilian for inspiration

January 18, 2013

Sebastian Hassett

New direction … Sydney FC recruit Tiago Calvano at training during his time with the Newcastle Jets. Photo: Max Mason Hubers

TIAGO CALVANO might not have enjoyed the most fruitful spell at the Newcastle Jets but he is confident he can make amends with Sydney FC after signing a short-term deal for the rest of the season.

The 31-year-old Brazilian struggled with the pace of the A-League at times during his stint at the Jets, and eventually fell out of favour with coach Gary van Egmond, who was quick to grant him a release when Sydney's offer emerged this week.

However, he has no doubts he can make a swift transition to life with the Sky Blues, and said he can put his best foot forward in new surroundings.

''I'm very happy,'' he said. ''It's a great club, a nice city. I'm very excited. I come here to do my best and if you see how many goals we conceded, it's a lot. I'll try to help my teammates and do my best to fix this. But I'm not doing it alone. We have a good chance to improve this point. We always can do better, and I hope that here I will do better [than in Newcastle].''
    Advertisement

Asked if his new side could make the finals, despite being ninth, Tiago said: ''That's why I'm here, and our goal is to make the finals.''

The deal was done quickly. So quickly in fact, the player barely had time to contemplate the move before the paperwork was submitted to FFA headquarters on Wednesday night.

''On Tuesday, I went to training and there Robbie Middleby [Jets chief executive] came to me and said, 'Tiago, Sydney are interested in you,' and I said, 'Oh, that would be great,''' he said. ''I had some more calls from Robbie, then I went to the office and things went very quick. In one day, we agreed everything.''

Tiago had nothing but good things to say about his former club, even if he had to battle for his spot in the first team.

''It was really good. I really enjoyed the club, the fans. It's a small but beautiful city, very relaxed. But that's part of my past, and my focus now is on helping Sydney to go and do better,'' he said. ''I didn't play much in the last weeks, but I am Brazilian, and with heart I will give 100 per cent for this club.''

He has already forgiven the Sydney fans for the bottle of water thrown in his direction during a recent match against the Sky Blues.

''It was good. I was very thirsty in this moment, and they threw me a bottle,'' he joked.

On Calvano's side is an impressive CV, having penned terms with Italian side Perugia as a youngster and then moving on to Barcelona B - the reserve team for the Spanish giants - before stints with Young Boys of Bern in Switzerland, and German sides Duisburg and Fortuna Dusseldorf.

Calvano's fall down the pecking order in Newcastle does not bother Sydney FC coach Frank Farina, who said the Brazilian had the quality to make a difference to Sydney's push for the finals.

While he looked at plenty of options to cover Pascal Bosschaart, who will miss the rest of the campaign with an Achilles heel injury, he is content with his choice.

''With Pascal out for the rest of the season, he's a welcome introduction,'' Farina said. ''We saw this morning his ability to talk and organise, so it should be a good help for us with 11 games to go.

''To be brutally honest, we were looking at a number of options. A lot of the options didn't come off - Tiago was one of them, but we weren't sure if Newcastle would release him. It came down to somebody who was ready to go straight away, so it narrowed the field down a bit. When Newcastle agreed to release him, it was good for us.''

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league...#ixzz2IGdHXFse
    Tiago All Class

Sibling rivalry between Newcastle Jets' Ryan Griffiths and Sydney's Joel

Tom Smithies
    The Daily Telegraph
    January 18, 2013 12:00AM

Newcastle Jets striker Ryan Griffiths - pictured in action against Melbourne Heart - is looking forward to going up against his brothers Joel and Adam at Sydney FC. Picture: Robert Mckell Source: The Daily Telegraph

YOU would think that six goals and four assists in a struggling team should guarantee Ryan Griffiths some headlines - but "as usual" it's one of his older brothers getting the attention simply for making his debut.

Ryan and Joel will lead the attacks of Newcastle and Sydney tomorrow, while Adam harbours quiet hopes of making his return from injury in Sydney's defence.

That would mark the first time since 2004 that all three siblings have played in the same competition, and the first ever in the A-League.

Ryan actually has the most Socceroos caps, but Joel has always attracted the glamour - not least for playing alongside Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba for the past year.

"One way or another he's always in the headlines," Ryan says of Sydney FC's new striker. "The media thrive on these things I guess, but it makes me laugh when I hear him talk as they are not always the most intelligent words that come out of his mouth.

"Most younger brothers would say the same. You get used to playing second fiddle, it's normal.

"But when I was younger I always strived to be like my elder brothers, tried to play up a grade and follow them. So it actually helped me and made me a better player."

It's only a fortnight until the three will - injuries permitting - tread the same field when the Jets host Sydney.

But rather more pressing for Ryan is the trip 70km south to face the Mariners tomorrow in what he calls the "original derby".

"You talk to any Novocastrian and they absolutely hate the Mariners," he said. "It's really good to have that and see the fans get fired up.

"Lots of Newcastle fans will make the trip down hopefully.

"We usually get a good following, more than make up the normal home crowd down there. It's superb for the competition to have three proper derbies now with lots of feeling, and it's a big challenge for us in football terms.

"The Mariners are very good at preying on mistakes and we've been trying to remedy any errors this week.

"Most of the goals we've conceded have come from mistakes, and we've done a lot of work on our composure on the ball."

And what happens in a fortnight, when the three Griffiths are on opposing sides?

"Surprisingly little," Ryan said. "We're too professional, the games are too serious and important.

"At Christmas when we beat Sydney I didn't give it to Adam. When we're on the pitch we're not really brothers, Adam is just another defender.

"But then again, if Joel crosses my path ... "

Newcastle striker Emile Heskey was yesterday passed fit after a hip-flexor injury and is expected to lead the Jets attack in the derby.
    oh Ryu....

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    oh Ryu....
    Agree Love hearing that coming from the players!

Jets look for fresh legs in attack
    By JOSH LEESON
    Jan. 17, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

CHAT: Gary Van Egmond talks strategy with Tiago earlier this month at Hunter Stadium.

JETS coach Gary van Egmond has revealed he is seeking to boost the club's attacking arsenal in the transfer window, now that space has been created by central defender Tiago's move to Sydney FC.

The Australian transfer window opened on Monday and shuts on January 31.

With 11 games left in the season before the A-League semi-finals, van Egmond can see plenty of merit in adding a new dimension to his squad.

"We're definitely looking at that and seeing what the best position is for us in this back end of the season," van Egmond said yesterday.

"It opens up a visa player as well. We just have to make sure we get the right person, and we're having a look at that as we speak.

"I think it's good to give the group a lift this time of year as well. It freshens things up a bit, but also looking down the track to make sure the person is not just here for the short term but after the season for next year."

Instead of replacing Tiago with another defender, van Egmond said he was looking for an X-factor player who could add to the attack.

"Young [James] Virgili and [Craig] Goodwin have done well in the wide areas and we probably don't have too many of those type of players who go past people as much," he said.

"Someone maybe in that type of capacity who will help with the workload of the upcoming weeks."

However, the Jets' decision to release Tiago, who was initially their first-choice stopper, could backfire after home-grown defender Taylor Regan limped off the training ground on Thursday with a calf strain.

Jets medical staff believe the injury is not serious and Regan should train today before tomorrow night's game against the Mariners at Bluetongue Stadium.

Van Egmond said he was not concerned that Regan's injury and Tiago's departure could leave him short of central defenders.

"We're quite comfortable with the back three stoppers at this moment in Taylor, Connor [Chapman] and Josh Mitchell, and obviously you have a Dom Ritter who can play central.

"[Scott] Neville can play central, [Sam] Gallaway can play central, so we have plenty of cover there."

Meanwhile, the Jets are still angry over Football Federation Australia's decision to shift their March 23 game against Wellington Phoenix at Westpac Stadium to midweek on February 27.

The match was moved to avoid clashes with New Zealand's 2014 World Cup qualifying games against New Caledonia and Solomon Islands.

Phoenix say up to 10 of their players would have been unavailable for the Jets game due to All Whites duty, possibly resulting in a forfeit.

Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby wrote an open letter to fans yesterday explaining his disappointment, while van Egmond took aim at the Phoenix, implying they were turning themselves into merely a development squad for the All Whites.

"For Wellington to come out and say they've got up to nine or 10 [players out], and they've just signed another international Kiwi [Ian Hogg], they're trying to make [Andrew] Durante a Kiwi, and they had five in the last game against China, so that's all there was," van Egmond said.

"They knew what the rules and regs were going into the competition.

"If you're really cynical, and I'm not that type of person, but if you're really cynical, you'd actually be looking at the Wellington team and thinking to yourself it's a precursor to make sure national team New Zealand players get as much good competition as they can so they've got the best opportunity to qualify in world cups.

"But I'm not a cynical person."

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/12...attack/?cs=305
    Interesting what this means for Ribs he was meant to be our X-factor if I'm not mistaken. Also the ljubo rumours, if we do go attacking how many spots do we have on our roster or is someone else about to get the chop.
    Last edited by Pico; 18-01-2013 at 09:13 AM.

sign griffo ffs
    we will loose

Bid to lure Asian Cup to Hunter
    By JANEK SPEIGHT
    Jan. 17, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

PLAN: Mark Falvo and David Eland at Speers Point yesterday.

THE Hunter's passionate football following, plethora of tourism hot spots and enthusiasm could bring Australia's 2015 Asian Cup to the region.

Asian Football Confederation (AFC) delegates are in the Hunter to assess whether the region is suitable to host Asian Cup teams for training camps.

Northern NSW Football has committed $4 million towards a new football centre at Speers Point, and the project has received a stamp of approval from Asian Cup organisers.

Yet the completion of the centre will depend on the outcome of the Lake Macquarie City Council's application for $7.3 million from the state government's Hunter Infrastructure and Investment Fund.

Asian Cup chief operating officer Mark Falvo inspected the federation's facilities at Speers Point with NNSWF chief executive David Eland yesterday afternoon.

Falvo, who has previously held a strategy role at Football Federation Australia, lauded the Hunter for its passionate football following.

"We know this is very much a football heartland and we know of the participation rates across all levels," he said.

"We're looking for quality facilities that provide the top teams with the resources they're used to, and it helps if it's a nice environment as well.

"If the facility goes ahead, it stands a very good chance at being selected as one of the pre-tournament camps."

Falvo said 32 venues would be chosen across Australia to give each of the 16 competing teams two options for base camps.

It was a great chance to promote football in rural areas and provide a platform for future ventures, he said.

"In 2020 it is estimated that 380 million people will be playing football in Asia. That's up from 80 million in 2006."

Eland said NNSWF was "sweating on" the Hunter Infrastructure and Investment Fund advisory board's recommendations to Planning Minister Brad Hazzard, which are expected to be made next month.

"If we can secure that funding and the decision is made as quickly as possible, we can have the facility ready by July 2014," he said. "Then we'll be in a position to provide this facility as a pre-tournament camp for the Asian Cup."

Eland said NNSWF would implement a plan B in the event that funding was not forthcoming, but that would dash any chance of hosting nations for the Asian Cup.

With more than 45,000 international visitors and a potential viewing audience of 2.5 billion, the Asian Cup was a chance not to be missed.

Eland was excited at the idea that a heavyweight football nation such as Japan or South Korea might set up in the Hunter.

"On average a camp of one team will include an entourage of 60 to 70 people," he said.

"Football is the biggest sport in Asia, so add the media in and the following will be huge.

"This facility would be ideal for a pre-tournament camp and the AFC's support will only add weight to our proposal."

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/12...hunter/?cs=306
    I'm still surprised that sydney gets multiple venues and even Canberra gets a venue but the home of an HAL team and an entire federation gets nothing. Hopefully the government does not drag its feet would be a waste of a good opportunity for some awareness for the Asian cup and the chance for NNSW to adopt an Asian team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Interesting what this means for Ribs he was meant to be our X-factor if I'm not mistaken. Also the ljubo rumours, if we do go attacking how many spots do we have on our roster or is someone else about to get the chop.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/...razilian-flair

Great judge of an import that GVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

All the more reason to think GVE has no frigg'n idea.