Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Local Forum pre-season fitness dicussion

Quote Originally Posted by nbnjet View Post
    Is this language really necessary. I find it disrespectful that someone cannot canvas their ideas without being ridiculed and call every name under the sun. Just not necessary.
    Really? I'm all for people having opinions if they are informed ones,but state league coaches and committee personnel being slandered by a twat who hasn't played the game is in your words ''disrespectful''.Do believe the member for kincumber has been throwin the names around plenty so don't shed a tear mate
    Last edited by seldom; 26-01-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Tbh, most teams are capable of playing great football. Olympic have the ability to play it around. As do Edgy. South Cardiff play great football against the better teams, some of their games against Magic are the most memorable I've seen in the State League.

As for the pre-season training.
    I do think there is a need for some fitness training. Just to get everybody's legs ticking over, getting into the swing of things. You run 95% of the game without the ball...so fitness is a huge part of the game. Though the most important part is what you do with it in that 5%, so technical ability is important in that respect. I was always a fan of doing some kind of fitness first (running between 2 ball players), getting on the ball when fatigued in a 5 a side possession, and finishing with a few sprints and then a passing exercise to cool down/keep the concentration going. Most players playing NBN in even 19s and above, have some technical ability. The touch comes naturally in passing drills and possession based games. After a few weeks, start doing tactical stuff like Attackers Vs Defenders 6 v 6 with a goalkeeper/goals with games on weekend.
    Clever coaching would incorporate fitness into a technical session, e.g. ensure the possession game is fast tempo and intense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Tbh, most teams are capable of playing great football. Olympic have the ability to play it around. As do Edgy. South Cardiff play great football against the better teams, some of their games against Magic are the most memorable I've seen in the State League.
    Totally agree but I have to say the best I had ever seen Olympic was under Bobby Nomav, he rebuilt the team, they were fit and played with great style something they had not done before or since in my opinion, and then after a successful year they then sacked Nomav. Don't figure. I know they won a title last year but the football just wasn't football for me. Praise to Southy they have something going on over there and it just works for them most the time. As for Edgy I have to say always one of fittest teams around but definitely started last year with terrible football, finished with terrific football.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    Really? I'm all for people having opinions if they are informed ones,but state league coaches and committee personnel being slandered by a twat who hasn't played the game is in your words ''disrespectful''.Do believe the member for kincumber has been throwin the names around plenty so don't shed a tear mate
    Oh I won't be shedding a tear... BUT it's the variety in life that makes it interesting, just as the variety of opinions. I mean if we all agreed and wanted to be sheep then there are great countries for us like Sth Korea and Iran...

In a round a bout way I think what MKFS is trying to say is let's improve the coaching ability a of our league. I think most people would agree that the more we educate our coaches, players, clubs, then the improvement in the league will follow. Magic set the benchmark because of many factors including great junior club with great coaches, and all the other stuff they do. Olympic also have great successful juniors but often the criticism is they select them like representative teams so if your not good enough your not worth keeping in the fold. I think it's up to all clubs to improve all aspects of their clubs, coaches, training, facilities, juniors, etc. there is no point waiting on government handouts be cause we have all done that and now we are trumped by Magic who had nothing but now lead the way. I for one can't wait to see some more progress at Edgy and Southy, the only other clubs in my opinion who are making some VISIBLE progress. Oh and for the fact Thornton put up a fence around the field at their own cost. Now look at all our state league clubs and tell me who has done anything that wasn't funded by council or gov...

Quote Originally Posted by nbnjet View Post
    In a round a bout way I think what MKFS is trying to say is let's improve the coaching ability a of our league. I think most people would agree that the more we educate our coaches, players, clubs, then the improvement in the league will follow. Magic set the benchmark because of many factors including great junior club with great coaches, and all the other stuff they do. Olympic also have great successful juniors but often the criticism is they select them like representative teams so if your not good enough your not worth keeping in the fold. I think it's up to all clubs to improve all aspects of their clubs, coaches, training, facilities, juniors, etc. there is no point waiting on government handouts be cause we have all done that and now we are trumped by Magic who had nothing but now lead the way. I for one can't wait to see some more progress at Edgy and Southy, the only other clubs in my opinion who are making some VISIBLE progress. Oh and for the fact Thornton put up a fence around the field at their own cost. Now look at all our state league clubs and tell me who has done anything that wasn't funded by council or gov...
    This raises a couple of questions in my mind.

1. You mention Magic's GREAT junior coaches. What makes them great? Is it the quality of the coach that makes a team great or is it the quality of the cattle that makes them look great? Or both?

2. Are you suggesting Magic didn't get government handouts to improve any of their facilities?

3. When you talk about Edgy and Southy 'progressing', do you mean facilities wise or football department wise?

Quote Originally Posted by EH9 View Post

1. You mention Magic's GREAT junior coaches. What makes them great? Is it the quality of the coach that makes a team great or is it the quality of the cattle that makes them look great? Or both?

2. Are you suggesting Magic didn't get government handouts to improve any of their facilities?

FYI

1. Coaching philosophy that filters from the head coach of seniors down, added to by junior technical director, frequent coaches meetings to reinforce objectives. Players will come if they see the system working, the system's goal is always progression from juniors to seniors and beyond. This is also aided by Seniors not adopting a winning at all costs mentality and dropping first graders to play U19 catch up games like other clubs love to do at the sacrifice of their own Youth. A club that shows this "trust" and respect for the cattle it selected during its trials will continue to attract top players to juniors and seniors if the pathway is obvious.

2. Summation of Magics government hand outs, 2003-2007- total of $12000 Small community grants for Bbq's, mowers, small concreting jobs, 2008- $40000- watering system, 2012-$40000 - Lighting. Everything else you see at Wanderers has been prepared, constructed, completed by Broadmeadow Magic committee, supporters and community donations of material and labour.

3. When you talk about Edgy and Southy 'progressing', do you mean facilities wise or football department wise?
    I'd say both.
    Edgy- Always seems to be updating their facilities. Granted it's not up to Magic's standard yet, but they are trying. Ground looks a treat early on in the year (maybe invest in some drainage though as it turns swampy for the season after a week of rain). Their football isn't too bad in patches. They hit their straps late in the season. If they started that well, they may have pushed Olympic for top spot.

Southy - Not the best facilities. But again, they are actively trying to improve. 2 new stands over the last 2 years. I'm assuming a 3rd is on its way (in front of the tennis courts) since they have replaced the other 'shitty stand'. For a club that doesn't have the income*/funds*/public reputation that the likes of Broadmeadow Magic, Hamilton Olympic and even Edgeworth and Weston to an extent, they are doing pretty well at developing their ground. And as I said earlier, their football is great against teams that also like to play (Magic, Jets). For me, I think they are making a transition. Their internal development is on par with Magic I believe. Cue "Where's the Hoole's and Bradberry's etc of Southy?" comments. Southy's Under 23s this year were made up of about 70% of the Under 19s team last year. I think 5-7 of the players were eligible to play Under 17s this year. Minor Premiers and lost to Olympic (whose team had a fair few first grader's in it) in the GF. A few players have gone to trial/play with Jets. Some good things football-wise happening out there. Top 2 Finish this year for Southy I believe.

*common assumption.

This raises a couple of questions in my mind.

I couldn't answer anything better than the Magician, assuming he is associated with Magic because his information appears to be in the loop stuff.

As for point 3 i agree with Bremsstrahlun, what more can you say!

From what I have seen the system that is currently in place in Sydney football is far more advanced than the current system in Newy but things have changed in a massive way in the past 5 to 10 years and the gap is getting narrower each year.

NNSWFF are working towards a better system and I believe are on the correct path but Rome wasn't built in a day. For change to happen it will require the change of attitude from everybody that starts at the fed and goes down to the general punter who pays his $8 week in week out to watch the matches.

The attitude of some of the parents who have a talented young player also hault the proggress of the system as the general attitude at the moment is Football is a winter sport and the training should stop there. This is also changing but like I said above, it will take time.

As for the topic we are discussing a balance needs to be found between fittness and ballwork. I am extremely against running laps and road runs but believe strongly in training sharpness and endurance as you can be fit but you also require sharpness which sometimes needs to be done without a ball at your feet.

Something that I should have added also is that the popularity of futsal at Junior level and how it will no doubt add to the number of technicaly gifted players coming through the ranks in the next 7 to 10 years.

The FFA have issued a directive for clubs in regard to training.

The section on Fitness is basically full of drills/ games that run for a set amount of time, with rest periods between.

As an example; 8 v 8 on a 3/4 pitch for 10 minutes, with a 3 minute rest between and repeat. Footballs are around the outside of the makeshift pitch and beside the goals at either end. When a goal is scored/ball goes out - GK's have 3 seconds to throw the ball in and start again.

The idea behind this is constant movement and the (hopefully) instantaneous change from attack to defence and vice versa.

Having started training last week, I can say this really gets you working, whilst also regaining ball-skills lost over the off-season. Would have run about 5k's on each night without really even realising it.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    The FFA have issued a directive for clubs in regard to training.

The section on Fitness is basically full of drills/ games that run for a set amount of time, with rest periods between.

As an example; 8 v 8 on a 3/4 pitch for 10 minutes, with a 3 minute rest between and repeat. Footballs are around the outside of the makeshift pitch and beside the goals at either end. When a goal is scored/ball goes out - GK's have 3 seconds to throw the ball in and start again.

The idea behind this is constant movement and the (hopefully) instantaneous change from attack to defence and vice versa.

Having started training last week, I can say this really gets you working, whilst also regaining ball-skills lost over the off-season. Would have run about 5k's on each night without really even realising it.
    Great drill. Need to breaks to maintain intensity though.

No matter how much training you do. The first game you play, 90% of the players will be spent after 20 minutes. Playing against opposition (not intraclub) is the best way to improve fitness and give a good indication of how you are fitness-wise.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    if you'll actually look back to the first page of this thread you'll see a link I put up to this FFA directive

Preseason fitness is an integral part of the game. It can help prevent injury and give a team the chance to hit the ground running so to speak.

#

I found the following to be a pretty good guide

https://sportlane.com/en/blog/pre-se...raining-drills