Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Newcastle United (Hunter Ports) Jets squad 2012/13

The Newcastle Jets have today brought defender Josh Mitchell home after he signed a two-year deal with the Club.

Mitchell was born in Belmont, played junior football with Swansea Swans Soccer Club and commenced his professional career with the Newcastle United Jets. Mitchell went on to play with Romanian club Universitatea Craiova and more recently Perth Glory.

After competing for the 2011/12 Championship with Perth, the Novocastrian was invited to trial with the Jets three weeks ago and confirmed what coach Gary van Egmond already knew.

“I have coached Josh before and I know what he can bring to the team,” van Egmond said.

“Josh is a very good defender, he is naturally left-sided which helped as that was a position we were looking to fill.

“He brings leadership to the team; he leads by example and is a great communicator.

“It is fantastic we can bring someone like Josh, who is a local player, back to the Jets and to represent Newcastle.”

The Jets coach sees Mitchell becoming a regular member of the starting eleven for next season.

“Everyone is competing for spots this pre-season, but coming in as a 28-year-old, I am not looking at him being a squad player,” van Egmond added.

"Whilst I don't think it will be an issue for him, he has to keep working hard and proving himself to get a spot in the starting side.”
    http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...Mitchell/47906

Happy with that signing, it would be good to see us have a Newy cb pairing of Mitchell and Reeeegz!!

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    smart signing.

Yeah, good signing at this stage. I'll be interested to see how he defends under greater pressure, but as far as his ability on the ball goes he looked 10x more comfortable than Topor ever did. A combo of him and Tiago might even be on the cards, but again, that will all depend on how they perform against A-League players.

Yeah happy with this signing, would like to see him teamed up taylor or chapman in one of the next trials. Now for a couple of big attacking signings to take us to the "next level"

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Yeah, good signing at this stage. I'll be interested to see how he defends under greater pressure, but as far as his ability on the ball goes he looked 10x more comfortable than Topor ever did. A combo of him and Tiago might even be on the cards, but again, that will all depend on how they perform against A-League players.
    Tiago out the door might be on the cards

Banned
    Me I am not convinced by this signing.

The bloke could barely make much of an impression when he was at Perth Glory.

I also am confused as to what this means for Taylor Regan and Connor Chapman who should be both looking to be first choice players this season.

Other than the fact the bloke is Newy born and bred I don't see the purpose to him coming here. I can't see him being a First XI player so whats the point of signing him to fill up squad places??

actually was a fan of NTS but was realistic about his departure and freeing up funds.Would now like to see a quality no.9 and no.10 to become a title threat

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Me I am not convinced by this signing.

The bloke could barely make much of an impression when he was at Perth Glory.

I also am confused as to what this means for Taylor Regan and Connor Chapman who should be both looking to be first choice players this season.

Other than the fact the bloke is Newy born and bred I don't see the purpose to him coming here. I can't see him being a First XI player so whats the point of signing him to fill up squad places??
    What signing will convince you?
    Chapman is a work in progress, we won't win anything with a 24 and 18 year old centre back pairing - its a position that you do need one person with experience to guide the line. Reagan shouldn't have that thrown on him yet- let him develop as a future leader not throw all the pressure on him straight away. From the reports of the trail Mitchell did well (may not have been great, but it was the first game for about 3 months). And even if he wasn't it is called a squad - you do need players who are cheap(i am assuming we haven't signed him for huge amount) and offer depth in positions - which Mitchell will. Can't have a squad of superstars, got to free up cap space for lord griffo. Anyway I see Mitchell being preferred to tiago as the season progresses.
    Can see Chapman being a huge part of the team, but let's not forget he will be one of the first picked in any young Aussie squad and if rumours are true about possibly tiago release we will need centre back cover.

I see positives and negatives in replacing NTS with JM.

Positive, I agree Josh looked more comfortable on the ball than Topor did, but as others have said, I want to see this against A-League opposition.

What I think we have lost in this situation is a threat from corners and set pieces. Every time we had one last year I was looking for Topor to get his head on it. He was starting to deliver too. I haven't watched Mitchell that closely - does he offer that threat?

Also Topor was one of the quickest players we had. Sure he took a bit to get going, but he was quick. If Mitchell and Tiago are CB pairing, I believe their relative lack of pace will see us get caught out, particularly if we push a high line.

Personally, I think Regan and Mitchell will start the season. By seasons end, I expect Chapman and Regan to be the centre pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I see positives and negatives in replacing NTS with JM.

Positive, I agree Josh looked more comfortable on the ball than Topor did, but as others have said, I want to see this against A-League opposition.

What I think we have lost in this situation is a threat from corners and set pieces. Every time we had one last year I was looking for Topor to get his head on it. He was starting to deliver too. I haven't watched Mitchell that closely - does he offer that threat?

Also Topor was one of the quickest players we had. Sure he took a bit to get going, but he was quick. If Mitchell and Tiago are CB pairing, I believe their relative lack of pace will see us get caught out, particularly if we push a high line.

Personally, I think Regan and Mitchell will start the season. By seasons end, I expect Chapman and Regan to be the centre pairing.
    I know everyone has their own views on things, but I couldn't disagree more about the two things you said about Topor..
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of his, but to say he was quick.. He had the speed and acceleration of a slow moss.. One of our biggest problems last year was our lack of pace at the back while NTS and Tiago were both on the field.
    As for him offering threat on corners/set pieces, for a bloke his size you would think there would be a lot more coming from him (although perhaps it could be the delivery of the ball in, NTS used to drag players out, etc).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I know everyone has their own views on things, but I couldn't disagree more about the two things you said about Topor..
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of his, but to say he was quick.. He had the speed and acceleration of a slow moss.. One of our biggest problems last year was our lack of pace at the back while NTS and Tiago were both on the field.
    As for him offering threat on corners/set pieces, for a bloke his size you would think there would be a lot more coming from him (although perhaps it could be the delivery of the ball in, NTS used to drag players out, etc).
    Topor has very poor initial acceleration. Once he gets going his top speed is pretty good though. Give him a 30-40 yard sprint and he holds his own. Give him a 10-15 yard sprint and he is a pace behind due to his initial slower acceleration. To say Topor is slow is a complete myth.

Acceleration = Poor
    Speed = OK

I'm pretty quick at top speed too, takes me a few minutes to get there though

Topper certainly made an impression in the box but he never really capitalized on his size from a scoring pov.

this is what i'm talkin bout:

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Acceleration = Poor
    Speed = OK
    Putting it succinctly, this is what I was going for.

I swear I read he topped the sprint speed trials or something. Probably wrong with that, but it's what I based the post on.

I had a feeling Topor was starting to sort himself out on corners and set pieces too. It's always good to have a big guy in there to mix it up and I thought he offered more than Tiago in that respect.

Can't comment on Mitchell so will reserve judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Putting it succinctly, this is what I was going for.

I swear I read he topped the sprint speed trials or something. Probably wrong with that, but it's what I based the post on.

I had a feeling Topor was starting to sort himself out on corners and set pieces too. It's always good to have a big guy in there to mix it up and I thought he offered more than Tiago in that respect.

Can't comment on Mitchell so will reserve judgement.
    Yeah, when you all put it that way, my comments may have come across a little harsh.. You are right, its just his initial acceleration and he certainly does have a presence in the box, I guess I would just expect someone of his height to get on the end of more.. And he definitely offers more than Tiago from set pieces/corners (but I do love to see Tiago go for his runs up the field)..

Mitchell + decent striker afforded by NTS leaving >>>> NTS staying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Mitchell + decent striker afforded by NTS leaving >>>> NTS staying.
    This.

And seriously, what situation were we ever likely to see NTS get his 40 yard requirement to get to top speed? Say it is from the halfway line, that pretty much puts the opponent in the box and the time to accelerate to his top speed, NTS is already a long way behind.

I will take awesome 0 to 60 over top speed of 100 any day of the week.

Banned
    I think your missing the point Grimario.

Attacker and Topor chase the ball. Topor can go with fast attacker once he gets into gear.

The Problem lies with his lack of initial acceleration means he is a step behind for the initial few yards. Topor can usually stay close enough over the distance which bails him out.

Topor goes alright over longer distances but can be exposed over shorter distances. These shorter distances are where he is most likely to be found wanting and will hurt the team more.

It is a weakness of his game to be exploited from time to time by opponents. He is a big boy after all and it takes Topor a couple of yards extra for him to get up to top speed compared to others