Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jesic for captain.

Banned
    Not being a smart arse Pico but can you enlighten me where the club "lied" in the media about Jobes status.?? Because I must have missed it

Most times I see anything to do with contracts and the Jets the cliche "Newcastle Jets refuse to comment on transfer negotiations etc" or something to that effect is used.

I recall them (GVE??) saying something about not pushing Jobe out of the club to Melbourne Heart when the intitial offer came through for him.

I don't ever recall them saying we are retaining Jobe or anything positive about renewing jobes contract like they have with Zads.

I am a little confused as to where they have lied to the player/fans in this case. Can you enlighten me what I have missed in this saga that shows them lying??

Pico - have a look at this article. Sounds like they were very upfront and honest with him, before it got "played out" in the media. By "played out" I mean reported on.

"Wheelhouse revealed that he had spoken with Van Egmond privately some weeks ago and discovered that he wasn't in his plans for the future but said that was not the reason for him taking a break from the game."

It sounds like it was a win-win for both parties. Why can't we just accept what's happened without blaming the club (over and over and over again).

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/26262...heelhouse.aspx

For me at least the issue is why he wasn't in his plans in the first place.

Everyone knows I am a GVE supporter, but for all the changes he has made (especially getting rid of long-term players), what good has it done? I will always back a coach to pick his own team, but that is dependent on the coach actually getting better results. In other words, I would rather we kept a local player who has been with the club for over a decade and get mediocre results more than getting rid of that player and still get mediocre results.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

^^^
    We have this mentality in Newcastle where we look at things in a very small-minded way. It's very simplistic and narrow-minded (just look at the big support Bridges seems to attract). It's disappointing when situations like the one with Jobe occur but sometimes you just have to step back, actually look at the facts and the big picture before you start trying to blame someone in these situations. In football or any sport it's just a fact of life that these situations happen from time to time, you just accept that it's all a part of the game and you move on.

Negotiations with Zadkovich are advanced, but while van Egmond said Wheelhouse was ‘‘in his plans’’, the club is yet to start formal talks with the skipper.
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/12...for-positions/
    Similar thing they did with Elrich & Abbas, yeah they are in our plans, just more stalling tactics so they don't have to make the tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    ^^^
    We have this mentality in Newcastle where we look at things in a very small-minded way. It's very simplistic and narrow-minded (just look at the big support Bridges seems to attract). It's disappointing when situations like the one with Jobe occur but sometimes you just have to step back, actually look at the facts and the big picture before you start trying to blame someone in these situations. In football or any sport it's just a fact of life that these situations happen from time to time, you just accept that it's all a part of the game and you move on.
    To be fair, it's not very common for a club to ditch their captain, a player who has been at the club for yonks. As bad as the A-League is for club loyalty, that is not normal.

Fans have to have players who they can relate to, all part of the shared experience. Who wants to watch a new bunch of robots wearing Jets shirts play every season? (and pretty average robots at that) I've been deliberately avoiding reading some of the commentary on this because I know it will be stupid, but if people are asking these kinds of questions then I don't see anything small-minded about that.
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

It's only a matter of time with GVE in charge

so in summary...people who think Jobe can play the game are upset with the clubs decision while the haters are rejoicing.Agree we need to move on but surely the guy needs a decent send off,would maybe ease the tension a little. I have 5 family seats at the jets but today i'll be travelling alone as wife and kids are shitty with this decision.I suppose i'll save some coin on next years memberships.
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Similar thing they did with Elrich & Abbas, yeah they are in our plans, just more stalling tactics so they don't have to make the tough call.
    To me pico that sounds pretty vague as to what GVE's intentions are. Some may interpret it that he is wanted by GVE. Others may view it as Jobe ain't a lost cause to getting a new contract but still may not get a new deal

Also would like to point out it came from the Newy Herald!!!

Not to mention it isn't a direct quote from GVE but more of a summarisation from Gardner as to what GVE's thoughts were on Jobe's future with Caravellos signing

Being that GVE says SFA to Gardner Dillon and the Newy Herald I wonder how much of the "in his (GVE) plans" rhetoric from Gardner is true or a degree of speculation from an out of the loop hack journo??

Why make jobe captain in the first place?

Surely when you decide on a captain you already know if he's in your plans for the long term.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    we should see if the Jets will allow Furns to interview GvE and ask all these sort of questions

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Why make jobe captain in the first place?

Surely when you decide on a captain you already know if he's in your plans for the long term.
    Thought Jobe was named captain under Culina before he left. Seem to recall Jobe being interviewed on the day Branko got Tinks foot up his arse and his marching orders.

I was surprised he was named captain coz at the time we had Kanta(LOL) Zads J Culina and Kasey to play centre mid. I would suggest with those options Jobe would be no certaionty to be picked even on the bench

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Thought Jobe was named captain under Culina before he left. Seem to recall Jobe being interviewed on the day Branko got Tinks foot up his arse and his marching orders.

I was surprised he was named captain coz at the time we had Kanta(LOL) Zads J Culina and Kasey to play centre mid. I would suggest with those options Jobe would be no certaionty to be picked even on the bench
    Jobe was name captain by branko (At newy stadium / members day) the week before he was shown the door. I clearly remember i didn't see it coming, almost shocked

Fare enuff then.

BOT.

Make Jesic captain so he can be gone soon too.

militiamon - The thing is, something in our team has to change - we simply don't have a good enough team to challenge for top spot. Getting rid of deadwood squaddies (ie Jesic, Cooper, Oxborrow.. even Bridges) won't help because we can only replace them with players on the similar money.

I'm assuming Jobe would have wanted more $$ in his next contract (maybe not a lot but surely an increase) and he would have been on a decent (not huge) salary already. In the end, there's no way the club could justify a pay rise. He's been better this year than previously but it's been because he had some momentum, not because he suddenly became an important cog in our machine. As an employer, why would you pay more money to someone for the same job?

Our team was not going to improve with Wheelhouse as captain next season. We could have had a new captain, but would that have done to Jobe's confidence?? He would have ended up being relegated to the bench and that would have been criminal for the $$ he was on. Our midfield has been the problem all season, and GVE's looking to improve it for next season. I'm not GVE's biggest fan but I think I can finally see his direction. He had a tough call to make but did the right thing. He seems to have known Jobe long enough that this isn't a case of playing favourites - I genuinely believe he would have found this more difficult than with most other players leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    so in summary...people who think Jobe can play the game are upset with the clubs decision while the haters are rejoicing.Agree we need to move on but surely the guy needs a decent send off,would maybe ease the tension a little. I have 5 family seats at the jets but today i'll be travelling alone as wife and kids are shitty with this decision.I suppose i'll save some coin on next years memberships.
    Seriously? No player is bigger than the club, even Griff. Yes they may be pissed off that a player has left, but you should never stop supporting the team. Much better to be pissed off with management and watch the team, than to be pissed off with management of a club that doesn't exist.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

The fact that Cullina made Wheelhouse captain is completely irrelevant. Each season a good coach assesses the playing group (on a number of things both on and off the park) prior to making the key decision of appointing the clubs leader. To appoint a player as leader at the commencement of the season and then 1/2 to 2/3 through the season decide that there is no future for them at the club, then that for me is poor management. Unless of course there is something we don't know about.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by prawnhead View Post
    The fact that Cullina made Wheelhouse captain is completely irrelevant. Each season a good coach assesses the playing group (on a number of things both on and off the park) prior to making the key decision of appointing the clubs leader. To appoint a player as leader at the commencement of the season and then 1/2 to 2/3 through the season decide that there is no future for them at the club, then that for me is poor management. Unless of course there is something we don't know about.
    Agree GVE in hindsight should have reviewed the captaincy maybe not last season when he came back as no need to rock the boat and highly disrespectful to strip captaincy after a month or two but definitely this season.

If he felt Jobe wasn't the man to lead us now and into the future he should have been stripped of captaincy then and there and Zads/RyGriff etc given the gig

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Seriously? No player is bigger than the club, even Griff. Yes they may be pissed off that a player has left, but you should never stop supporting the team. Much better to be pissed off with management and watch the team, than to be pissed off with management of a club that doesn't exist.
    Mate sit back down this isn't your stop !I'll keep supporting the jerks but have tried for years to get the family there and now after 2 seasons it's over.And before you have a sly shot at them...think again
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis